What A Husband Should Be... Previously...from Part 16

“Clark, I have to tell you something and in spite of what you initially said, I want to make sure that you’re okay with this,” Lois said with unsure tones.

“What is it, honey. You know we can get through anything…oh…you’ve gotten your release to go back home…and you don’t want to be with me any…” Clark started, sadly.

“Clark, no! I couldn’t leave you now if I wanted to …if I tried. We need you…” Lois started with tears starting to gather in her eyes.

“Lois, I can…what? We? You’re…you’re pregnant?” Clark asked, hardly able to hide his excitement.

“Yea…we’re pregnant. Early…but yes. When we get back to Metropolis I’ll see a doctor and go from there. We can leave whenever…”

“Oh, honey…I love you so much…and our baby. You’ve given me everything I’ve ever wanted in life…dreamed of.”

“So, I guess that means you’re okay with this?”

“Did you even have to ask?”

When they got back to the hotel room, the expecting couple couldn’t wait to call Perry and the Kents to tell them the news. Lois’ parents had gone on another “second honeymoon” when they learned that Lois was okay. However, their calls were delayed by another session of passionate lovemaking instigated by Lois.

And Now...

What A Husband Should Be 17/17
Continued...

It was Thursday, two days after Lois had been given the okay to travel, and there she and Clark were packing their stuff for their final departure from Tokyo back to Metropolis. Things were different now. Not only were they in love and happily married, but they had a baby on the way. Clark was so happy that sometimes Lois couldn’t do anything but just laugh at him.

Lois lovingly looked over at Clark as he silently placed things into his luggage. The one thing Lois knew for sure is that the man of steel was more vulnerable than the average man; she could hurt him. The one thing that she had silently promised herself is that she would never hurt Clark, intentionally, no matter what.

“What are you looking at?” Clark caught her staring.

“Just you, the man I love, my husband, the father of my baby, the hero of the world…”

Clark stopped Lois’ rant by kissing her, passionately. Lois readily complied.

Lois shortly thereafter pulled away from the kiss due to a need for air. Clark gently touched her face with his palm in that way that only Clark could and looked Lois in the eyes.

“I love you, Lois. You know that don’t you? And, I‘m going to always be here for you and our baby.” Clark had some doubt in his voice.
“Course I know that. Why…what’s wrong…”

Clark could hear the panic in Lois’ question. He just hugged her close to his chest.

“Nothing’s wrong…everything is right…perfect,” Clark responded as he kissed Lois on the forehead. “We’d better finish packing if we want to make our flight back to Metropolis.”

“Yea…”

Lois and Clark finished packing their bags and loaded the car so that they could head to the airport.

Once at the airport, Clark was nervous. The last time he had tried to get through customs, immigration and agriculture, his life got turned around. Things turned out better than he imagined but still the whole process was chilling. Lois detected his uneasiness and just gently placed her hand on his arm.

“It’s gonna be okay, honey…” she said softly. Clark just smiled back at her.

Finally, they had made it through all of the checkpoints so they went to sit at the gate where their plane would be leaving from in about an hour. Again, Clark seemed to gaze off into space. At first Lois thought it was the look that Clark got when Superman was needed, but then quickly dismissed that thought. Clark was in deep thought about something.

“Clark…”

“Um…yea…”

“Penny for your thoughts.”

When Clark sat down, he thought about the very last time he had been to the Tokyo airport. He had brought Lois there to catch her return flight to Metropolis, he had told her that he loved her and she had dismissed his feelings and proceeded to rush back to Metropolis to marry Luthor. Why was he dwelling on that. It still stung a little, like a reopened wound, but they were past that now. She was his wife now in spite of all of that.

“I…um…I…”

“The last time you brought me here? Is that what you’re…”

Clark kissed Lois. “That’s behind us, honey,” Clark answered as he gently grasped Lois’ hand.

Clark held Lois’ hand there, periodically kissing it until they heard the call for Air Japan flight 7717 non-stop to LAX. This was their ride. Clark stood, then helped Lois to stand to board the plane. They were flying first class, to allow room for Lois to stretch out. He leg still had some healing to do.

Once airbourne, Lois and Clark talked and talked about their future, about the baby, about where they would live and anything else that came up. They had decided to live in Clark’s apartment back in Metropolis because he had more room until Lois was back on her feet and they could find a bigger place. After about six hours into the flight, Lois dozed off to sleep. Clark just placed his arm around her shoulders and held her head to his chest. God, how he loved this woman.

When Lois and Clark arrived from LAX to Metropolis, it was Thursday again. Lois was tired and Clark was feeling Super again. He got them home…to his apartment…and laid Lois on the bed. Once unpacked, with Lois asleep, Clark decided to test his powers. He spun into his superman outfit and went for a quick flight. He was still not 100 percent but the average person wouldn’t be able to tell. With some good sunlight, he would be back one hundred percent in no time. He would announce Superman’s return tomorrow, so that Clark Kent and Superman would not return at the exact same time.

On Monday, Lois and Clark returned to work at the Daily Planet. The wrote sidebars about the fall of Luthor and gave detailed encounters of his indiscretions. They did not however give a detailed account of how Luthor put Superman out of commission. They simply said that it was a chapter that Superman wished to close.

Perry White had however figured out who Superman really was. After all, he didn’t become editor in chief just because he was a “Hunk of Burning Love.” He never admitted knowing “the secret”, however, to Lois and Clark.

Now, Clark was pretty sure that Perry had figured out his secret. When he told Lois, she had had the same thought. They would never say anything if Perry didn’t. In a way, it would be good if he knew, then rescues wouldn’t be so difficult to cover.

The local television media heard of Lois and Clark’s return from Tokyo and wondered if the whole trip was a planned marriage and honeymoon made into a fictitious story to get ratings for the Daily Planet.

fin

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.