Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How about Maricopa? It's an Indian tribe and county in Arizona, but sounds European.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
EEP! I know this is ages old but had looked it up for some of the info above and realized there were a couple here that I never replied to.

I grew up in Maricopa county wink . Was there a couple weeks ago actually.

Vicki - when I googled, I found Mevendia a couple of places but seems to be someone not being careful about spelling/spacing/etc on a message board rather than a 'real word'.

I have about half? of the book done and the country is named Mevendia [I chopped off part of Switzerland near Italy/France to make it wink ]. When I ran it through an anagram maker, it came up with 'Invade Me'. How's that for a country name wink ? Fortunately, since they're tiny, carved out of Switzerland and essentially mostly Alps with a valley in the middle, it's not been too big a problem for them =D. It's actually more like Lichtenstein than Monaco but am taking elements from many of the small European countries to make it.

Thanks guys! wave

Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
Why not pull one of the country names from "Princess Bride" and use it? Gilder or Gilderland?

Or use a real country's name from its native language, like Espania (spelled wrong, I know!) instead of Spain?
Not really relevant, but in the early nineties I was at a science fiction convention where some friends ran a weird committe-based management game with about fifty players in several sessions, each an hour or two. The idea was that we were the new government of Florin (also from The Princess Bride), which had been an Eastern bloc state from WW2 to the fall of the USSR, but was now trying to get started as a Western-style democracy. Sessions ran as meetings of Florin's parliament, committee meetings, etc.

Our problems ranged from all the usual post-communism stuff to an epidemic of Rats of Unusual Size attacking our natural gas facilities in the Fireswamp, trying to modernize a health service run largely by Miracle Men, Iocane pollution, etc. etc. We were also being harassed by Gilder, who claimed that Buttercup's kidnapping and forcible marriage into the Florinese royal family meant that Florin was now ruled by Gilder.

At one point we were pretty much at war with Gilder, and someone came up with the bright idea of hiring the Dread Pirate Roberts to harass Gilder's shipping. Nothing happened for a while - then during the following session we learned that Roberts had somehow managed to get aboard the Russian space station Mir, and was claiming it in the name of Florin. We had to do some VERY fast talking to get out of that one without being invaded by the Russians... It was immense fun.

All of which is totally irrelevant to the actual question, of course, but it's one reason why I will always have a VERY soft spot for The Princess Bride

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard