Kerth
Kerth
Interesting article about the Kindle deletions here:
http://www.slate.com/id/2223214

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Can you use it to store and read fanfic stories?
I was showing my Kindle to a friend at the mini-Seff a couple of weeks ago, and I was playing with the web-browser function (use Search and go to Google or type in the addy you want). I went to the fanfic archive and was going to show her how I could read one of the fics. But when I clicked on the story, it asked if I wanted to download it or view it. I selected download, and in a few seconds, ML Thompson's ifatfirs.text (If at First You Don't Succeed) was in the table of contents on my Kindle, and I didn't have to send to have it converted or convert it myself.

Now, the formatting isn't as good as the fic I just sent to my free Kindle address to have it converted. The converted fic reads like a professional ebook: instead of double spacing between paragraphs, the double-spaces have been converted to tabs and the *** breaks between scenes have become a 1/2 point line centered on the page. In addition, the fic is almost perfectly full-justified, like you would read in a book. The one I downloaded directly from the archive still has double spaces between paragraphs, and the line breaks are still there and appear in oddly alternating line lengths depending on what size font I'm reading it with. However, it was easy; it was fast; and it was free. And with a storage capacity of 1500 books on the K2, I can download a lot of favorite fic.

And regarding the remote deletion capability of Amazon, I'm planning to do what Pam recommended: make sure I have a copy on my hard drive. I may not be able to read the Kindle files on my computer, but I can certainly archive them there.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Update on the Kindle pulling files from today's LA Times:
Kindle reader sues Amazon

A high school student is suing Amazon.com Inc. for deleting an e-book he purchased for the Kindle reader, saying his electronic notes were bollixed too.

Amazon CEO Jeffrey P. Bezos has apologized to Kindle customers for remotely removing copies of the George Orwell novels "1984" and "Animal Farm" from their e-reader devices. The company did so after learning the electronic editions were pirated, and it gave buyers automatic refunds. But Amazon did it without prior notice.

The lawsuit seeking class-action status was filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Seattle on behalf of Justin D. Gawronski, 17, a student at Eisenhower High School in Shelby Township, Mich., and Antoine J. Bruguier, an adult reader in Milpitas, Calif.

Patty Smith, an Amazon spokeswoman, said the Seattle-based company was aware of the filing but does not comment on pending litigation.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard