Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
N
Let's see if I've got this straight:

Silas can hear really really well. Silas can drink really hot coffee. Silas moves very swiftly when he wants to. And Silas can look through walls.

No superpowers in Utopia, eh? Hee hee.

Sherry (who's back in CCs good graces for BR'ing kinda. Uh, CC?)

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Very clever, very sneaky; can't wait to see what you come up with next. I'm beginning to suspect there may be a few more tricks up your sleeves.

Columnist
Columnist
Great part

I can not wait to read the next part

Karla

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
WooHoo this is something else. They are getting close. I can't wait for them to get home. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm back, CC, and apologising for my absence from your feedback threads for the past couple of instalments. frown I've been reading and enjoying but, believe it or not, I simply ran out of superlatives with which to praise this.

I want to echo everything Hazel, Paul, Tank and others were saying in the last instalment about Utopia. Yes, this is exactly what always made me uncomfortable about the Utopia Wells kept talking about. It's too perfect. Too regimented. Too controlled. Too Disney-like. And it's not only boring, it's almost sinister.

Which is why the idea that Tempus gets the publicity he craves, and that Utopia changes as a result, becomes just a little less secure, a little less like a computer simulation of a perfect town, is just inspired. Pure genius! I am in absolute awe. razz

Wendy wink

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

Just read part 13 and 14. thumbsup

They should call for help or at least the family member. This is no time to be polite.

I’m sorry for not commenting in previous parts. hyper

MAF blush

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
His eyes turned serious, warm, but deeply serious. “I’m nearly positive that’s exactly how it went. Or will go. You know what I mean.”
goofy

I am not touching that question with a ten foot pole,” Silas wheezed, eyes tearing.
HEEEHEEE!!!

<jumping in seat repeatedly> They're getting closer!!! Don't know if I can stand the wait!!!

TEEEEEEJ

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Anna blinked. The files she had gathered dropped from her hands and spread over the floor. “You’ll... need tea for that,” she said faintly, before darting around them and out the door. “I’ll be fast. And if anyone comes, I’ll... scald them.”
Omg lol. You'll need tea for that. I'll remember that the next time I perform a treasonous act.

“I would have known you weren't two people if I'd had more time. You were pretty obvious, and I was figuring you out in the park. If things hadn't gotten so insane, I would have put my finger on exactly who you were, I'm sure of it.”
Uh huh. You just keep telling yourself that, Lois.

One more thing. Silas looking through walls? I didn't pick that up til the second go-around. **scratches head** Apparently, it's significant. If Utopia changed, that wouldn't affect who has powers and who doesn't...would it? I suppose if anything, I would think that until now, people have never had a reason to use them...if that makes any sense? I suppose I'm also sort of thinking about Yvonne's current fic while I aimlessly throwing that suggestion out there. But that's ok. I'm perfectly happy in my head led by the dysfunctional squirrel operating my brain.

Arghh. You're killing me, woman! A half dozen bearclaws in the bakery, and they're still no closer to unwrapping the mystery behind it, aside from confirmng suspicions of course. Queen of frustration, thou art. Oh, you know I wouldn't have it any other way. wink Hopefully they will discover a thing or two during the 'back way out'.

Is it Tuesday yet? goofy
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
“That’s him. That’s Andrus. And... for whatever he did to you, we at the Helpers and Peacekeepers Bakery formally apologize.”
goofy So Lois didn't realize, at first, that theirs was just as hot and they could drink hotter liquids than she could?
“I’m giving you a chance to leave,” she said to her honestly, now. “Hank and I are about to commit treason.”

Anna blinked. The files she had gathered dropped from her hands and spread over the floor. “You’ll... need tea for that,” she said faintly.
laugh CC, you write the best. original. characters. EVER. You might want to consider moving that comma and putting it before "honestly," but talk that one out with your BRs.
“But they wouldn’t have violated anyone’s privacy, would they?” asked Clark, aghast.

“If they wouldn’t, they were definitely more Kent than Lane,” sighed Lois “I mean...just imagine what an investigative reporter could do with x-ray vision and superhearing and...ohhh.... Oh! We’re partners! At the Planet! Oh god... Clark and I must have been great together!” She grabbed Silas by the arm. “We were, weren’t we?”
Love it, love it... Perfect Clark characterization, then perfect Lois times two.

So close, yet so far... I can't make up my mind if I'm pleased about that. On the one hand, I *do* want this Utopia to grow up a bit. On the other hand... who doesn't root for LnC to find the truth?

We need more. And soon!

Hazel, wondering why Lois lets Silas get away with "Grams"

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
“You want to see Andrus?” asked the startled, stammering bakery worker behind the counter.
LOL!! That's just great because they all know Andrus is a bumbling idiot. Who would want to see him? razz

“If they wouldn’t, they were definitely more Kent than Lane,” sighed Lois “I mean...just imagine what an investigative reporter could do with x-ray vision and superhearing and...ohhh.... Oh! We’re partners! At the Planet! Oh god... Clark and I must have been great together!” She grabbed Silas by the arm. “We were, weren’t we?”
Love this!!! That's so great! A babbling revelation!!! razz

“Just long enough for whoever’s taking the tour to see how completely empty the building is.”
*Whew* You're safe! (And I'm safe from thinking up something evil to do to you :p ) But I do have a question... Where are Lois and Clark and Silas in all this?!?!

He had been so sure, so certain. They all had. When the name Andrus has gotten the reaction it had, when he had noticed the lead-lined wall, been able to detect the outline of an entire building...
Just wait a darned second here!!! This means that they've got the place under surveillance and *saw* Clark and Silas x-raying! Madge needs to get her butt out there pronto!!

“He has left Utopia. He travels often, leaves no itinerary behind. Again, as the manager, I do offer my sincerest apology. We are very sorry.”
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nonono. ACK!!!

I think pole axed is a really good description of how I feel right now. No... duped? No... cheated? Not exactly... Perhaps: ACK!!!!!! dizzy That's about right, I guess.

Tuesday... Tuesday... Tuesday... (If I keep chanting will it make it come faster? frown )

Sara dizzy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
CC

An excellent part! smile1

Tricia cool

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
What Tricia said.... wink

Still reading, still enjoying it.

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sometimes I feel like I'm in "Pleasantville" and now the characters are changing from black and white to technicolor!!

Perhaps that was your inspiration for Utopia??

And, I'm pleased that my remark smacked of ESP:
Ok. Our Mind Reading Department features three readers. This first comment had one BR emailing me, demanding to know what sort of black magic Chris was using to gain access to my HD.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are there two separate bakery time zones in place here?

NAHHHHHHHH
I *have* been told I'm especially intuitive, CC!

Now....
I *have* to ask the question: why didn't the Bakery manager recognize Lois and Clark? And surely they must know that Silas is a family member, so wouldn't that have been a double red flag? (or cape, as it were).

The lack of communication here and secrecy is costing Madge and her cohorts precious time here!

As always, for Tuesday...with baited breath!@

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Kerth
Kerth
To be original... ditto the others wink

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wonderful! <insert appropriate superlatives here -- lots of 'em!> clap hail

Almost all of my favorite lines -- 20-foot-pole, treason-needs-tea, had/would-marry-him -- have already been quoted repeatedly.

Pretty much just one left unquoted:
(And this wasn't short, rivka!)
*considers* No, I guess it wasn't. Do be sure that trend continues, ok? angel-devil

*flees*

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Merriwether
Merriwether
Anna blinked. The files she had gathered dropped from her hands and spread over the floor. “You’ll... need tea for that,” she said faintly, before darting around them and out the door. “I’ll be fast. And if anyone comes, I’ll... scald them.”
I am so in love with this story and these characters. Between Anna's lines above, then actually throwing the tea on Petal (ROTFL!), and *then* Petal jumping into the timestream a second ahead of Hank ... just great, great scene.

I was almost sorry to go back to see what L&C&S were doing. That's how much I'm loving Madge and crew!

Fabulous part, CC. Things are really moving now. And I see what you mean about people getting into your hard drive -- talk about a creative solution to the cloaking dilemma. (And I liked how Madge had to hold on, but Anna *liked* roller-coasters. <g>)

Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday!

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ARRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!

Temporal Displacement be cursed!!!

Now we know how they have been keeping the secret(which to me sounds a little dangerous...)

More soon please.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Top Banana
Top Banana
I had a really interesting email from a writer who is darn brilliant, and it got me thinking.

When Clark, Lois, and Silas are sitting in the bakery waiting for the manager's arrival, is the common reader assumption that the woman who walks in will be Madge? And in fact when she does arrive, and until you get her name a few scenes later, that she *is* Madge?

Because, if yes, that's a fake-out I never intended. I just didn't see it. And how confusing does that make the temporal shift thingie if you're expecting Madge, and she seems to be in two places at once?

The bakery and its workers are a part of the organization of the Ministry. In fact, I'm pretty sure Madge started out there, but has since been promoted many times over.

Ok. I'm thinking on that. Could tweak by having Neville just say "Our manager, Charity, should be here soon..." Unless thinking it *might* be Madge heightens the tension and that would deflate it... and now I'm just waxing on, so ignore me.

Here we go:

Sometimes I feel like I'm in "Pleasantville" and now the characters are changing from black and white to technicolor!!

Perhaps that was your inspiration for Utopia??
You know, Chris, I hadn't really considered that before, but I can see that. Pleasantville had a sort of sinister undercurrent, though, while I think Utopia's is more naive. But still, really interesting.

And

I *have* to ask the question: why didn't the Bakery manager recognize Lois and Clark? And surely they must know that Silas is a family member, so wouldn't that have been a double red flag? (or cape, as it were).
Lots of theories on this. First and foremost, because that would ruin my last fifty pages!

Secondly, because they are looking at the problem, really, not the customers. Andrus has left them with a mess to clean up, and they're frustrated and flustered and they know big stuff in happening in the building behind them, so they are really uncomfortable with this threesome asking questions. I, also, hoped to imply this has been happening to them since Andrus left, so Lois, Clark, and Silas aren't the only ones 'investigating' the bakery. Though everyone else was investigating why they got the bad eggs.

Third, and my favorite because it's what works for Clark/Superman and is a major theme of the series and this fic, because Lois and Clark are in the dead last place they would expect them to be- standing at the counter ordering bear claws. You see what you expect to see.

Try all of those on and see if they work. As for Silas, he is one of thousands of Lane-Kents, so I don't think they would immediately 'know' him as such.

The lack of communication here and secrecy is costing Madge and her cohorts precious time here!
Yes! Secrecy = Bad. (But it's fun.)

Temporal Displacement be cursed!!!

Now we know how they have been keeping the secret(which to me sounds a little dangerous...)
And ditto that.

Also, big thank you to Labrat for providing me with that cloaking device. A group of people, whose work is to watch over time and space, would logically have their own ways of manipulating it to their advantage. Only... I would *not* have thought of that on my own!

And thanks to Tank for being Special Consultant of Time Travel. It's a tricky job.

Biggest thanks to all of you!

For still reading! For making this so fun!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

sloppy

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Merriwether
Merriwether
When Clark, Lois, and Silas are sitting in the bakery waiting for the manager's arrival, is the common reader assumption that the woman who walks in will be Madge? And in fact when she does arrive, and until you get her name a few scenes later, that she *is* Madge?
<...>
Ok. I'm thinking on that. Could tweak by having Neville just say "Our manager, Charity, should be here soon..." Unless thinking it *might* be Madge heightens the tension and that would deflate it... and now I'm just waxing on, so ignore me.
I think the line you suggest above would be helpful. Indeed, I was wondering if the manager was Madge, and found it a slight bit distracting to have to rethink when it became clear it wasn't. So, yes, adding "my manager, Charity" to the mix would probably have helped me. Not a big deal either way, but since we OCD writers are all about the details, I figured I'd answer the question. <g>

Off to read part 15!

Kathy

Features Writer
Features Writer
Throwing in my $.02 on the manager/Madge thing...

Yes, I thought that the manager would be Madge, and was quite excited anticipating her arrival. And then when she did arrive, I still thought it was Madge, and wasn't surprised that she didn't take one look and instantly recognize. She's so distracted thinking about them, looking everywhere for them, that it would never occur to her to look under her own nose.

And I think having that sense of tension and anticipation is good. So I would hate to get rid of all that. As a compromise, you might want to introduce the manager's name earlier than you do, but not instantly. Maybe when she first talks to them, she could introduce herself by name. For example...

"Peaceful morning to you. My name is Charity," she called. "Let me put my things away, and I’ll be right with you."

Something like that. So all the readers' shoulders will slump a bit in disappointment as they heave a sigh, realizing that the answer's not that easy. Yet then there won't be any confusion with the Temporal Displacement.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard