Tormentor
Rated PG-13

Warning: This was written late at night and was not beta'ed. It's also probably the most serious thing I've written to date. Or at least, I think it's *one of* the most serious things I've written. I'll have to check. Also, you might not want to read it if you are particularly squeamish. Consider yourself warned!

------------------------------------------------------

It's dark outside. The thought registers in the back of my mind, even though I don't really care. There's a little bit of light spilling from the dim lamp on the desk. The light bounces off the bare concrete walls and dribbles onto the floor in sad little glowing puddles.

Puddles....ugh...

I take a step forward and regret it as wet, sticky moisture meets the skin of my left foot, staining it dark red. I try to ignore it and make my way back to the old cot in the corner, leaving faint red footprints on the cement wherever I walk.

I had to do it!

The springs of the cot groan in protest when I sit down. The knife in my hand seems to gleam conspiratorially as blood drips from the tip almost accusingly.

But I had to do it. Really. It was the only way...the only way to make her stop!

I let the knife fall to the floor as I lean forward with my elbows on my knees and let my fingers rake through my hair. I was never really one of the good guys, to be frank. By fifteen, I was on a first name basis with most of the guards in Juvenile Hall.

But he saved my life once, and I owed him for that. I respected him! So when I heard how she was torturing him, I had to make her stop.

The red pool continues to spread over the floor, and her neck is twisted at a frightening angle, causing her to stare at the ceiling.

Screaming...

I jerk my head away and lie back on the cot. There's nothing frightening on the ceiling. No, nothing scary up there at all. If he were to fly overhead just now and-for whatever reason-x-ray this building, I don't think he'd mind what I've done. If anything, I expect he'd be grateful after the way she tortured him!

He won't condemn me. No one can condemn me, after all the things she's done!

The first thing I heard about was the drug. Okay, so it wasn't anything you can snort or shoot up, but it was a drug nonetheless! She drugged him and got him completely dependant, so that he was only a shadow of his former self! I'm told it got to where he couldn't even get through a single day without a hit! They got him into rehab...

But it didn't end there. No, even when he was on the road to healing, she wouldn't show him mercy. She drugged him again. And as if that wasn't enough, she drove his lady-friend insane in the most hideous way possible!

Merciless...

That's only a recent example, though. It goes back farther. The hate group! She created that group just to go after him-to tear him mentally and physically to shreds! She hired that woman to drug him and rape him...

Again with the drugs! What is it with you, woman?! I turn my head briefly to glare at the body, then turn back to the ceiling, fighting the urge to throw up.

She tried to hypnotize him so he wouldn't reproduce. Told him he was a disgusting alien. Always, always, *always* she tries to tear down his self esteem...torture him....

Why, lady, why?!

Those are only a few examples, though. I don't know what else she's done to him, and I'm not sure I want to know. I've heard rumors...

But it all ends now. She'll never hurt him again. He's safe.

I glance at the body once more and chuckle. The sound bounces eerily off of the bare walls and floor. "He's safe from you, Yvonne! You can't torture him any more. He's safe!"

He's safe.

The thought brings a smile to my lips as I close my eyes and surrender to sleep.

He's safe.

~•~