table of contents

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

"What the hell is going on?!" Lex Luthor ranted as he stared at the figures on the paper before him. "A month ago this business was thriving."

"I have inquired everywhere, sir. I can't seem to find any sabotage. Sales are simply falling, at an alarming rate."

"And why is that?"

"Competition. The smaller company in Simmons and a couple elsewhere are putting us out of business."

Lex threw the papers across the desk in frustration. This same thing had been happening to all his smaller companies. Lately larger endeavors had started to experience trouble as well. Star Labs had taken over Lex Labs, an oil division in Texas had gone to another competitor, and now it seemed the last of his smaller companies was failing to thriving competition. What was going on? It seemed as if there was a concerted effort to destroy his business empire, but, so far, they'd been unable to find proof of any conspiracy. Yet, despite that, if this kept up, LexCorp would fall. That was something he couldn't live with. He'd already fallen from the position of third richest man in the world to tenth. He couldn't stand to fall any further.

"I want to talk to Devon. We need to propose that alliance I was going to approach his father about."

"I'll set it up."

Lex turned and looked out over Metropolis. He might need Devon Jr's backing to save his powerbase here, but then he'd find a way to be rid of him. This was his city. There was no way he would turn it over to some sniveling brat he hadn't even known about until a few months ago.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Conner leaned back in his chair and stared across the desk at the man on the other side. Nigel St. John had come on behalf of his boss, Lex Luthor. It appeared his plans were working perfectly. LexCorp was falling and Luthor wanted to insure his fall from grace never happened. Before him was the man Travis had bribed to leak the information of the set-up which had sent Clark to prison. What made men like St. John do the things they did? And did it really matter anyway? It seemed it was true that there was no loyalty among thieves. Besides, what was more important was the fact that Luthor didn't suspect the betrayal.

When Nigel finished his request for a meeting between his boss and the man across the desk, Conner leaned forward and rested his arms on the cool mahogany. "You go back and tell Mr. Luthor that I do not have need of such an alliance. I am wealthy and my businesses are thriving. I am saddened to hear of his impending monetary difficulties, but I can not associate myself with him or any of his holdings. My financial forecasts point to the inevitable take over of LexCorp by summer's end and I will not put any of my holdings in a compromising position." He stood, indicating the meeting was over. "Tell your boss I bid him well in his endeavor."

Conner couldn't stop the smile as he saw Nigel's shocked expression. Undoubtedly, Lex Luthor was never turned down when he made a proposal. Well, there was always a first time for everything.

When Nigel shut the door, Conner sank back to his seat and began punching the keys of the computer before him. He would prove Luthor's involvement in the kidnapping and murder of Clark Kent and he'd make damn sure the man knew he'd done it. He only wished Travis had been able to get that proof for him, making his job easier and more expedient. However, all the information about Clark's disappearance and Luthor's involvement had been obtained by less than reputable means and often simply through confessions of informants that feared for their lives. Maybe he should consider another payment to Luthor's 'Mr. Belvedere'. If Nigel had sold out his boss once, he'd surely do it again- for the right price. Nonetheless, Conner would find what he was looking for without buying St. John to do it. Luthor was panicked and panicked men made mistakes. When this one did, Conner would be there to pounce on him.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

The media attention Conner had foreseen when he came to Metropolis had in reality been relentless. Reporters camped out in front of the hotel to get a glimpse of the billionaire, making travel almost impossible. He'd finally had to issue a statement and answer a few questions. That seemed to calm the masses.

With his new freedom to come and go, Conner took advantage of the warm sun of the April day. He liked to simply walk and bask in his ability to do so without worry of being locked away in some cell. The first few weeks after his escape had been a little painful. With the sun's rays also came their healing properties on his once powerful body and it actually caused him physical pain as his body adjusted to metabolizing the energy after not doing it for so long. It had taken nearly four months for his powers to return, but they had remained unreliable. It seemed being without the sun's healing abilities for so long had indeed caused some damage. While he felt healthy and some of his powers seemed to work normally, others did not. For instance, he was not as invulnerable as he once was. He often woke in the morning with aches and pains and could feel temperature changes. His hair no longer displayed invincible properties, allowing him to shave normally. And though he'd floated a time or two in his sleep, he'd yet to be able to fly.

But when he decided to bury Clark Kent, he'd buried all of him. Without having powers to take advantage of for so long, it would have been very foreign for him to attempt to use them again. So he'd decided that normal was all he'd ever be again.

Conner looked up at his surroundings. That's when he noticed he was standing directly across the street from Port Royal. The building was massive, at least fifty stories high. He stared at the doors only a moment before he turned and made his way down the sidewalk. Centennial Park sprawled before him and he couldn't stop the smile on his face. This had always been one of Lois' favorite places. Leave it to her to build her building where she could see it.

Why was it that no matter how many time he told himself he wouldn't think of Lois Lane, his thoughts returned to her? The isolation of the past decade did very little to dissuade his heart where she was concerned. Was he doomed to carry this woman around with him forever?

He made his way through the entrance of the park and started for the center, curious to know if the fountain was still there. He stopped when he heard the soft cries of a small child. Conner headed in the direction of the noise to find a boy sitting on the sidewalk clutching something in his hands. As he neared, he realized the boy was holding a small dog.

He approached the boy slowly, not wanting to scare him. "Excuse me? Is there something wrong with your dog?"

The boy looked up at Conner with large tears rolling down his cheeks. "He… he's dead."

Conner stopped and stared down at the boy. He looked familiar. It took a moment for him to realize this was the boy from the other night that had called Perry his grandfather. He was also easily the most beautiful child Conner had ever seen. He eased forward and kneeled in front of the boy.

"What happened?"

"Kenny and his gang… They hit him with a skateboard."

"What?!"

The boy smoothed a hand over the still form of his beloved pet. "They don't like me very much and they killed him on purpose."

"That's horrible." Conner reached out a hesitant hand to check and make sure the dog was indeed dead. The boy pulled away at first, then decided to allow the stranger to touch his pet. Conner felt a lump form in his throat as he confirmed the dog was gone. "I'm so sorry," he said softly.

"Thank you," the boy said as he wiped his cheeks. "I guess I need to take him home and tell my mom what happened."

"Yeah." Conner reached to help him stand. "Would you mind if I walk you? If those boys will kill your dog, they might try to hurt you as well."

The boy was about to protest, after all, his mom told him never to talk to strangers. Then his eyes met the man's. There was something behind the man's concerned gaze that the child instantly trusted. "I think I'd like that."

Conner smiled and led the boy back out to the entrance. "Where do you live?" he asked at the crosswalk.

"At Port Royal."

Conner blinked. "What?"

"You know, right there." He pointed to the building across from them.

"Yeah." Conner glanced at the building, then back down at the boy. How had he not seen it before? The boy looked like his mother. "You're Lois Lane's son?"

"Yes. And you're Conner Devon," the boy stated, unable to hide the pride in his powers of observation.

"Ah, yes. How did you know that?"

"The same way you knew who I was. I saw you at Grandpa Perry's ceremony the other night. I've also seen all the papers and television broadcasts with your pictures."

Conner had to smile. "Guess I am pretty widely known."

"Mr. Devon, everyone who's anyone knows who you are."

Conner smiled again before leading the boy across the street to the entrance to Port Royal. "Think you can make it alone from here?" He really didn't want to go into the building Lois Lane had created.

"Sure. I wish you'd come up and meet my mother."

"Maybe next time."

"How about next week at the benefit for the Superman Foundation?"

Conner knew his eyes widened in shock. He wasn't sure he'd heard the child correctly. "Superman?"

"Sure. You do know who he was?"

"Yes, but I thought he left years ago?"

"He did, but Mom's kept the foundation alive."

Conner's brows rose in surprise. "Really?"

"Sure. Everyone knows Lois Lane is Superman's greatest supporter. How do you think Port Royal was built?"

Conner glanced over at the building, then back at the boy. "Your mom used the foundation's money to build this place?"

"Sure. Port Royal is home to some of the largest charities on the planet." The boy looked at Conner for a moment. "Where have you been, Mr. Devon, in a hole?"

Conner couldn't suppress the chuckle that rose from his chest. "You could say that." He reached down and rubbed the child's dog again. "I really am sorry about your dog."

"Thanks." He stroked the soft fur in his hands. "Will you come to the benefit?"

Conner wanted desperately to tell the boy he couldn't make it, but one look into his large brown eyes was his undoing. He could not deny Lois Lane's child any more than he ever could her. "I will be there."

"Thanks, Mr. Devon."

"You're welcome." Conner smiled at the boy and watched as his small legs took him inside.

Conner turned and gazed down the sidewalk. What had he done? He must be crazy for agreeing to go to a benefit for Superman. Surely everyone he wanted most to avoid would be there. Of course, if he'd really wanted to avoid those people, he would have never come to Metropolis. He liked to defend his logic with the excuse that he could get further in his research on Luthor if he came to the city in which the man lived. But Conner knew that was just an excuse. Though staying away from everyone ever connected to Clark Kent was the best decision for all involved, he couldn't stop the overwhelming desire just to make sure they were all happy.

He wandered slowly back in the direction of the park as the boy's words raced around in his mind. Lois had kept the Superman Foundation alive and thriving. Why would she do such a thing? Was it the influence of the foundation that attributed to some of the many changes taking place in the city? Maybe so. He'd have to ask Edward exactly what it was that went on at Port Royal.

His walk had led him to the fountain in the middle of the park. Pleased to see it still there, Conner turned to sit down. That's when he saw the statue off to the right. He moved slowly up to the larger than life stone figure that stood proudly in the afternoon sun. Conner gazed in awe at the huge 'Man of Steel' that watched over the visitors to Centennial Park. The inscription on the plaque below the statue read:

'Superman: Savior of our fair city; defender of truth, justice, and the American way. He may be gone from our world, but he will be forever remembered in our hearts.'

Conner was shocked. He hadn't known his absence would be perceived this way.

<<Correction: Superman's absence. You're no longer that mythical hero.>>

He shoved a hand through his hair and turned to hurry back out of the park. It suddenly occurred to him to question how Superman's absence had been explained. Did the world know that Clark Kent was Superman? Would his folks and Lois have told his secret to keep alive a foundation for the sake of various charities? Did it really matter?

He quickened his pace as he reached the sidewalk and stuck his fingers in his mouth to whistle for a cab. Suddenly Conner was having to deal with a new mix of emotions. Would this ever get any easier?

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Several copies of the Daily Planet lay sprawled across the top of the desk with a few other less reputable publications. Conner couldn't do anything except stare at them in surprise. Lois' by-line graced each and every Planet article written about Superman since Clark Kent was imprisoned.

Looking over the various stories, Conner discovered that it hadn't taken long for the people of Metropolis to notice the hero's absence in their city and various motives had been put forward for his disappearance, not all of them complimentary. It seemed that the public had come to rely on his services and many of them were more than a little resentful when he was no longer there to rescue them in their hour of need.

Lois had written her first article very soon after returning home from the disastrous trip to South America. She'd informed her readers that Superman's absence was due to the fact that he was extremely busy trying to discover the truth behind Clark Kent's conviction on a drugs-smuggling charge. Obviously, she'd tried to buy some time for him to escape from prison and to fly back to the US. When that hadn't happened she must have been mystified, but she'd never stopped trying to cover for him.

Yet, judging by the reporting of some of the tabloid press, Lois had only played into their hands. Many of those writers began to suggest that Superman was so upset by the incarceration of his 'friend', that he was ignoring the needs of the people he'd sworn to protect, and very soon they were insinuating that the pair had been involved in an illicit affair. When news of Kent's death came through, the same journalists reported that Superman was so distraught he'd chosen to abandon Earth.

Lois had tried very hard to counter that claim but it had been an almost impossible task, especially since it seemed likely she was also reeling from the news of his execution. But Lois was not a quitter, and she'd released an article claiming an interview with Superman, stating that he was searching for Clark's body to bring him home to his family for a proper burial.

Reading between the lines, Conner could guess that Lois and his parents must have been trying desperately to cling to the hope that the word they'd been given was wrong and that Superman, being invulnerable, couldn't be killed. Though as time went by and he didn't reappear, they'd come to realize that something had gone terribly wrong and that someone had found a way to murder the man they loved. Slowly, Lois' articles changed from suggesting that Superman would return, to defending the hero's reputation in the eyes of the people.

Later, LNN had led a campaign to imply that Clark Kent had actually been trafficking drugs for his friend Superman. They'd scandalously suggested an elaborate plot in which the super hero intended to take over the city by manipulating the people. The special news bulletins had inferred that his first target had been the children of Metropolis and that his devious plot had been to introduce them to these new drugs which Kent was bringing into the city.

It had been an inflammatory and emotional accusation, and one which had not a single shred of evidence to back it up. However, scouring the many libelous articles in the tabloids, Conner understood that truth hadn't counted for much in the hysterical outcry and Superman had not been around to defend himself. The anti-Superman brigade were in ascendancy, though Conner wouldn't have taken any bets against Lex Luthor's interference in this very public character assassination -- it was highly likely that the man had orchestrated the whole affair.

Yet through it all he'd had one staunch defender -- Lois Lane. She had led another campaign in support of the super hero. Even though the public refused to see Superman's continued absence as anything other than an admission of guilt, Lois had refused to back down. She'd gone on to write a series of in-depth articles explaining the events which had led up to Clark's imprisonment and his totally unjust execution. She'd detailed her investigations and included several interviews with prominent citizens who were willing to attest to Kent's good character. But her trump card had been an interview with Superman, the man who stood for truth and justice. An interview which, Conner surmised, his parents had helped her with.

Little by little the population began to sway in favor of the super hero and his friend. The subsequent outcry from supporters of both Superman and Clark was overwhelming. People all over the world were outraged by the injustice which had been done to two good men. With heavy hearts the population of the world had accepted Clark's untimely death and Superman's decision to return to his home planet in order to clear his his friend of collusion, and alleviate any fears that he would ever have the inclination to rule this world.

Later articles continued to cover Lois' investigations into what had happened to Clark.

<<She had tried to find you.>>

From the looks of it, she hadn't stopped investigating what really happened. Though the information she sought now clearly focused on bringing justice for his murder…

<<So they did believe you were killed.>>

Conner shot to his feet and called into the adjoining room for Edward to ready the jet. An hour later they were boarding the plane about to take off for Kansas.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Conner stared down at the cold, gray stone that had been placed along side those of his relatives. The words 'In memory of our beloved son, Clark Kent' seared his brain and drove the knife deeper into his heart. What kind of pain had his parents felt when they'd had this stone erected so many years ago? En route to Smallville, Edward told him that Clark Kent's family was informed two weeks after he had been imprisoned that he'd been executed just days after his trial. Now he was more confused than ever.

For nearly the entire ten years Clark had been 'dead', Lois had campaigned for his alter ego's continuing benefits for the world. She'd written a powerful interview where Superman told the world that he was going home as the public seemed to have lost faith in his integrity and that of his friend, Clark Kent. His departure from this world seemed to propel him to more of a legendary status than he'd ever had and Lois had kept alive his memory even though she knew he'd never return.

How had she lived that way? Did that mean she was stuck in some weird limbo, still in love with a fantasy? How could she possibly stand to live out her days like that? And what of her son? Did he know why she did all those things? Did he know his mother had once been the lover of the hero?

Conner mentally kicked himself. He hadn't allowed his mind to drift to such thoughts in over a year. It was plain silly to have those kinds of desires. Sure, there was a slight possibility that another woman someday might warm his bed.

<<But will any be able to warm you?>>

Conner turned on his heel and walked quickly back to the waiting car. Inside Edward was pouring over some files, oblivious to what was going on with his boss. The faithful assistant truly believed he was the son of Travis Devon and that his father had found him after a long search and brought him home where he belonged.

"Tell me about the Port Royal charities," Conner told Edward.

"Let's see." He closed the file he was working on and pulled out another. "Boys and Girls Club International, Big Brothers-Big Sisters International, Feed the Children, Coates Orphanage, Displaced Workers Association, Feed the World, MADD, YMCA, YWCA, Celebrate Life, American Heart Association, Goodwill International, Salvation Army, Arm in Arm, Foundation For Life, Elder Care Center, Star Labs-Children's division, Tiny Tots, Special Olympics, Single Parents International, two floors of special housing, and two floors of condos all are housed inside those walls."

"Really?"

"Yes. There's also a small publishing company, a soup kitchen, a theater, a science center, a gym, and various other forms of entertainment… all designed to be available for the many children that would otherwise be unable to enjoy such things without Port Royal."

Conner nodded his head slightly as he sat back against the leather seat. He didn't know why he had to come to Smallville so suddenly. He had this insatiable desire to see the life he'd left behind. The Kents had leased the farm rather then sell completely. A new family, with two small children, lived there now. He'd seen them playing in the yard when they drove there to take a look at what had happened to the Kent farm. Conner had been unable to stop the smile from touching his lips when he saw their youthful exuberance.

"Sir, shall we go back to the airport?" Edward asked, bringing him out of his musings.

"Yes." They settled into silence as Conner rolled the past few days' events over in his mind. What had started out as a mission of revenge was quickly beginning to resemble something else. The pain that had clenched a tight fist around his heart seemed to be loosening.

<<Is revenge what you really want?>>

The thought had come out of nowhere. But was it true? Did he really want revenge or justice? Conner could answer that, without a doubt, he wanted Luthor to pay for what he'd done. How did he actually intend for that to unfold? Did he plan to kill him? If he'd found out that he was responsible for his misery those first months, the answer would have been a definite yes. He would have killed Luthor without thought. But now? Did he still harbor those feelings? Sometimes he guessed he did. He wouldn't be human if he didn't.

<<But you're not human…>>

He mentally told himself to shut up. It didn't matter if he was human or not. All that mattered was how he handled himself as a member of society. So that brought him right back to his question. How did he plan to take Luthor down? Would he send him to Purgatory? Deliver him to the same deplorable cell he had been locked away in for so long?

<<What purpose would that serve? Two wrongs will never make a right.>>

Damn! Why did his conscience have to be so upstanding after all he'd been through? He should be able to take his fury out any way he wanted. Yet, there was something deep inside that refused to do that. He couldn't lose control. Could he?

Conner mentally cursed himself. He wanted to hold on to the anger and pain. He didn't want to let it go. He wanted revenge.

<<Do you? Or do you just want to feel alive again?>>

He thrust a frustrated hand through his hair and closed his eyes. His mind needed to rest. He'd force himself to think about his agonizing dilemma later.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Conner was now even more confused than he was before. He kept waking at night. Not with nightmares of his prison, but with wonderful dreams of an older couple and a young woman. In his dreams, he was happy. He smiled, real smiles that reached his eyes. He laughed, hearty bellows that made him feel good. And the others… they were happy and laughed to prove it.

He also had dreams of a small boy. The boy was sad and lonely. His dark eyes held a certain emotion that begged for acceptance and asked for those around him to be kind and love one another. The child was wonderful and had the most beautiful spirit. Despite the woeful emotions etched in his expression he was still happy and loved.

Conner opened his eyes to the early morning sun. He didn't think he'd ever grow tired of seeing those wonderful rays. Trying desperately to sort all of his emotions, he pushed himself up and went to take a shower.

He couldn't help but chuckle slightly as he thought of Edward's initial attitude toward his constant showers. Conner probably took six or eight showers a day. Being denied that sort of privilege for so long, he relished in the luxury now. He also drank almost constantly and ate several times a day. The one and only thing he did not do now was write. Since he'd put away his notebooks that last day, he hadn't so much as scribbled another word.

However, all of sudden he felt that simple task was exactly what he needed most. Writing had kept him from losing his mind. There was also many times it helped to sort through mixed emotions. Maybe he'd try it right after his shower.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

The doorbell rang at the plush home of Lois Lane. A one time self confirmed workaholic, she now spent her mornings with her son. Opting to instruct him herself when he proved to be more advanced than any institute in Metropolis, Lois relished in watching him learn new things.

"I'll get it," she told her son. "You finish that math."

"Yes, ma'am." He offered up his usual brilliant smile before she left the room.
Lois answered to find a messenger holding what appeared to be a dog carrier.

"Yes?"

"I have a delivery for Master Lane."

"Master Lane? Do you mean my son?"

"If you're Lois Lane, and I know you are, then yes." The man shifted the carrier and sat it just inside the door. He also handed over another box that had been sitting on the floor in the hall.

Lois signed the invoice and went to retrieve a tip for the man.

"No need, ma'am. It's been taken care of," he said with a smile. "And thank you… for all your hard work here. Us little people want you to know it's appreciated."

"Thank you." Lois closed the door and kneeled to get a look inside the carrier. The most adorable puppy peered out at her. Around his neck was a blue ribbon. Lois looked around at the other box, finding an envelope on top, she opened it to see if it gave a clue as to where the gifts had come from.

"I realized this morning that I never asked your name. I'm not exactly sure what to call you. Hey you seems so impersonal.

"Seriously though… I couldn't stop thinking about you and your puppy. Again, I am so sorry you lost your pet. I saw this little guy this morning and immediately thought of you. Please accept him. I know he could not possibly replace the one you lost, but he could be an awful lot of company.

"He doesn't have a name so feel free to call him whatever you'd like. I took the liberty of sending over a box of things to help with his care. Maybe I'll see you guys at the park again… And next time I hope those nastly little boys will stay home that day.

"I'm looking forward to seeing you again tomorrow. Enjoy!

Conner"

Lois smiled as she bent to retrieve the puppy from the carrier. She carried him, along with the note into the room where her son was still busily doing his math problems.

"Hey, kiddo, look what came for you."

The boy turned and his eyes widened with delight. "Oh wow!" He rushed to take the small animal from his mother. "Mom, he's fantastic."

"Don't thank me. Thank your friend, Conner."

He looked up at his mother with wide eyes. "For real? Conner sent him to me?"

"Yup." Lois handed him the note.

When he finished reading, he looked down at the puppy in delight. "Conner's the best."

"Sure seems like he's an all right guy." Lois had listened to the story of how the billionaire had found a sad little boy in the park, holding his dead dog. Her son had appeared unaffected by the man's famous status, but impressed with the genuine concern that had been in his eyes. He'd told his mother the man seemed so sad and lonely that he wanted to ask him to dinner. When an offer to come inside had been turned down, another was extended to the Foundation benefit. Now it seemed Conner was every bit as compassionate as described.

Lois smiled over at the dark haired little guy as he played with his new friend. It was times like these that he reminded her so much of his father. Oh how she wished she could have seen them together.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Conner had tried to reason with his rampant thoughts for the last week. He'd told himself that he shouldn't be thinking of Lois Lane and her son. That child was the product of an obvious relationship that had happened fairly quickly after his imprisonment. He should be angry with Lois. She'd betrayed him.

<<Had she?>>

Edward told him that Lois shared her home with a man off and on and had done so for the last two years. That was so out of character for Lois. Obviously, the man wasn't her son's father, but who was he? And where was the illusive sperm donor? Conner had been too afraid to ask Edward in fear he'd tell him something he didn't want to hear.

And the boy… He shouldn't feel such a connection to this child. He represented the blinding truth of Lois' true feelings. Yet…

Conner couldn't stop what he was feeling for the child. No matter who his father was, no matter how, why, or when he was conceived, the boy was part of Lois. And the fact was… any part of Lois would always touch his heart.

Conner sighed heavily as he checked his appearance one last time. He'd admitted to himself just today that he did indeed still have feelings for Lois Lane and always would. He may never be able to tell her who he was or to have her in his life again, but there was nothing he couldn't feel.

And he did feel for that incredible woman. It also appeared he was starting to have feelings for her son. What had happened to the declaration to avoid his past, or the decision that his family and Lois were better off without him?

<<It's not like you're waltzing back in and picking up where you left off.>>

That thought was almost ridiculous. There was no way he could ever go back. Too much had happened.

<<But wouldn't it be wonderful?>>

"Stop it, Clark…" He stopped when that name left his lips. In one short breath, he'd admitted that he could never deny who he'd once been. And suddenly he wasn't so sure he wanted to anymore.

He groaned and pulled his coat on after glancing at his watch. He needed to hurry or he'd be late.

tbc...