Previously...Part 9

Clark started having an internal struggle about undressing Lois versus just taking off her shoes. The one thing that he didn’t want was for Lois to wake up and think that he had violated her trust and taken advantage of her. The latter finally won the tug of war and he just removed Lois’ shoes. He then pulled the covers up around her shoulders and whispered, “Sleep well, honey,” as he turned to exit the room.

Clark couldn’t sleep just yet. He couldn’t seem to get the idea of getting married tomorrow off of his mind.

And Now...

What A Husband Should Be 10/ ?
Continued …

Sunday Morning arrived. Lois had slept…well…rather peacefully. Then it dawned on her. Today would be her wedding day, the day she married her best friend. She stretched and sat up on the side of the bed. She had so much to be grateful for; marrying her best friend (because in spite of her shortcomings, he still loved her unconditionally), Luthor was behind bars and most of all she was grateful for finding out how evil Lex Luthor was before marrying him. Lois then looked at the clock. My it was late…0945...and she had slept in her clothes? Then she distinctly remembered falling asleep on the couch next to Clark. Leave it to Clark to carry her to bed and leave her dressed…such a boy scout. But she had to start getting ready. Their wedding would be at 1130.

Lois stood and walked to the living area to see if Clark was up and about. When she got to the doorway, the blankets and pillow were gone and Clark was no where in view.

Panicked, Lois started calling,” Clark…Clark…” but no answer came. She walked through the living area and kitchen continuing to call Clark, but no answer came. She turned to go back to the bedroom, thinking maybe he was in the bathroom. As Lois entered the bedroom door she noticed a piece of paper stuck in the corner of the dresser mirror. When she looked closer, it was a note from Clark…

Sweetheart,

I wanted everything to be perfect so
I left before you awakened. I’m in a
room right down the hall. Didn’t want
to see the bride before the wedding.
Bad luck you know. But, a nuclear
disaster couldn’t keep me from you at

I Love You,
Clark

Lois released a breath that she hadn’t realized that she was holding, held the note too her chest and just smiled. Yes, she was doing the right thing.

Clark wondered if Lois had gotten the note. He was already up and showered. He couldn’t wait for Lois to become his wife. He loved her so much. Secretly he prayed that she had some feelings for him beyond friendship and that they would eventually share passion between them. But right now he’d settle for whatever he could get from Lois as long as he could keep her in his life. His parents had called earlier to wish him happiness…and Martha had wished them lots of babies? He could hear the laughter in her voice, and Jonathan seemed to be in on the joke, too. Clark had trouble figuring that one out, especially since the Kents knew the terms of his and Lois’ marriage.

At 1110 a limousine arrived to pick up Lois and take her to the designated place, that Clark had chosen. She had no idea where it was. He’d just told her that it was beautiful. Lois took one final look in the mirror and gave an internal okay. Her gown fit perfectly around her curves. She wore her hair up in a French roll with decorative pearls. Her short white veil covered down to her chin. She wore pearls around her neck and hanging from her ears. She carried one lilac lily in her hands and proceeded to the limo. Clark was driving the rental.

By 1120 Clark was standing at the garden where the wedding was to take place. It was outdoors with lots of Japanese wildflowers surrounding. There was a waterfall and a red brick floored area where they would stand, gazeboed with flowering trees. It was absolutely beautiful. It was 80ºF and the sun was shining high.

Clark looked around. The priest was there and Mrs. Sanders and her husband were there. There were curious onlookers standing by. He was getting nervous because Lois hadn’t arrived yet. Mrs. Sanders noticed Clark’s nervousness and sent her husband up to comfort him.

“Hi, Clark…Ian Sanders…so nice to finally meet you,” Mr. Sanders said, reaching out to shake Clark‘s hand.

“Clark Kent. Pleasure to meet you, too,” shaking Mr. Sanders’ hand.

“You know, Christine has been talking about you two since you initially came into the embassy reporting your passport incident. She said that that girl had love written all over her face for you, but was too stubborn to admit it. She always said that you two would end up together, but was just surprised that it was this soon,” continued Mr. Sanders. “Don’t worry, son…she’ll be here come hell or high water if she’s anything like Christine says.”

“Thank you, sir.” I’m just praying that she didn’t…”

“Look behind you, son. Christine was right about the other thing she said, too.”

“What was that, sir?”

“She is beautiful…congratulations, Clark.”

“Yes, she is…and thank you for getting me through these last few minutes, sir,” Clark finished, shaking Mr. Sanders’ hand again.

“Welcome,” Mr. Sanders replied as he turned to go and sit back next to his wife.

Lois exited the limousine and proceeded through the garden in the direction that the limo driver pointed her. The garden was more beautiful than Clark had told her. Things were so simple yet endearing. How did Clark do it…make her feel like a queen with the simple things in life, yet she felt like a cheap puppy with the third richest man in the world. Then she stopped walking as she saw Clark come into view. He was so handsome standing there and he had that look in his eyes that he only had for her. <God what am I going to do. He’s not going to be able to maintain a plutonic marriage. I know he’s going to expect…Lois stop it…it’s your wedding day…moment. If Clark promised you that he wouldn’t push you, he wont.> Then almost as if Clark had read Lois’ thoughts, THAT LOOK disappeared and was replaced with the look of an adoring friend. Then Lois relaxed.

The music started and Lois slowly walked down the stone pathway to stand next to Clark and before the priest. When she reached Clark, he reached out his hand to her and she took it. They turned to slightly face each other. Clark bent slightly and whispered in Lois’ ear, “You’re so beautiful that you just take my breath away.”

“Oh, Clark…” Lois responded as her eyes started to glaze over.

The priest looked at them and smiled. When he was sure that they were finished exchanging endearments, he proceeded with the ceremony.

Finally, Lois’ and Clark’s vows were exchanged and they had placed their rings on each others fingers.

“You may kiss your bride,” the priest finished.

Clark saw the look of uncertainty pass Lois’ face. They hadn’t discussed this. He quickly decided that he would just place a kiss on her forehead.

Lois was panicking inside. What should she do. They hadn’t discussed the kiss. But quickly she decided that this was their wedding day and she would not ruin that for Clark.

Their eyes met. They hadn’t discussed this. He silently asked if a kiss was in order, trying to read Lois’ eyes. What he saw in Lois’ eyes, he hadn’t expected to see; love. That was his answer. He placed his right hand on Lois’ left cheek and softly brushed away a tear with his thumb. He then leaned down as she met him halfway but before he touched his lips to hers he whispered in her left ear, “I am so in love with you”, and then he turned his lips back in line with hers and claimed them. When their lips touched, Clark felt a bolt of desire go through him. He kissed Lois with such gentle passion. The most wonderful part of the kiss was the fact that Lois was returning it with…passion? It was the most earth shattering kiss Lois had ever experienced.

The couple finally ended their kiss and when Lois and Clark turned to face the few guests they faced a crowd of applauds. They looked at each other and smiled as the priest introduced the new couple.

“I present to you Mr. and Mrs. Clark Kent.”

Lois and Clark proceeded to greet the few guests especially Mr. and Mrs. Sanders, who had helped them more than they would ever know. Mrs. Sanders had whispered to her husband, “I know that Lois thinks she just married Clark to help him get back home faster, but she is in love with him. He’s not going to let her go that easily.”

“As always Christine, I agree. You’re so right,” Mr. Sanders responded.

“Clark, you stay here for a second? I want to go put my lily in the car. Be right back, okay,” Lois said.

“Okay’” Clark replied as he turned to finish his conversation with the Mr. and Mrs. Sanders.

What seemed like just a few seconds later, Clark was distracted from his conversation by screeching of tires. He looked around and did not see Lois coming back. Other people seemed to hear the screeching, too. Clark slowly jogged towards the parking lot calling, “Lois…Lois…” His calling was interrupted by the sound of a screeching halt and something flying onto maybe the hood of a car. Clark had gotten close enough to the parking lot that he could see a big white Suburban speeding away. Then he slowly looked away from the speeding truck to the ground and almost went limp. Lois had been hit by the speeding Suburban.

Clark sprinted to Lois and got down on the ground by her side.

“Lois…Lois, sweetheart…wake up! Somebody call an ambulance!” Clark yelled frantically.

Mr. and Mrs. Sanders had come to Clark’s side by then. Just as Mr. Sanders laid his hand on Clark’s shoulder, there was another loud boom and in the distance Mr. Sanders reported that the Suburban still going much too fast lost control and hit several parked cars and an electrical post.

Clark seemed to be oblivious to anything but Lois as he held her bloody hand and she laid there fighting for her life.

tbc…

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.