What A Husband Should Be...2/?

cont...

Much later into the flight, dinner was served. It was the first waking moments of the duo together since leaving Metropolis, other than the occasional visit to the bathroom. Lois would always somehow manage to get back into Clark’s embrace before dozing back off to sleep. Clark had chicken and Lois had steak.

“Oh, Clark, this looks so good. I’m starving.”

“Yea…”

“Ummm, and it is delicious. I never thought I’d think that airplane food was good. I must really be starving,” Lois stated as she ate.

She did notice that Clark was just picking over his. “Clark, eat up. The flight attendant will be back shortly to collect your plate…”

“I’m just not that hungry Lois.”

“Clark, stop sulking and eat. You haven’t eaten at least since we left Metropolis.”

“Lois, please, I’m not a kid. I’m just not hungry.” Clark realized that the tone in which he responded to Lois was a bit abrasive and he cringed inside. He had to learn to control his feelings and he had at least a week more alone with her.

“Look, Lois, I’m sorry. I just…”

“No, Clark,” Lois said empathetically. “I’m sorry. I should have just let you have your space instead of…”

“Lois, you’re not going to make me feel guilty about this. I didn’t do anything wrong,” Clark stated, getting on the defensive again.

“I’m sorry that I don’t love you Clark. Is our whole trip going to be about that?”

Lois realized just as she said those words, Clarks eyes started to glaze with unshed tears. He looked away from her out the window. Then he suddenly stood.

“Excuse me Lois. I ha…”

“Clark wait, I…”

“Please, Lois…” Clark stated just above a whisper as he squeezed past Lois into the aisle and to the bathroom.

Once in the bathroom, Clark just sat on the counter and squeezed the bridge of his nose as his eyes burned with tears. He finally gave in and just let them flow. Clark realized within himself that he had to get this all out and move on if he was going to be able to produce a story good enough for the Daily Planet. He had to accept the fact that Lois was going to marry Luthor and there was nothing he was going to be able to do about it.

Clark hadn’t realized how log he had been in the bathroom when he heard a knock on the door.

“Clark, you okay in there? You were just gone a long time and…” in a concerned voice.

“Lois I’m fine. Go sit down. I’ll be out in a sec.”

Clark finally made it back to his seat. Lois was just sitting there looking at him as he sat. Clark looked away, out the window.

“The flight attendant came and took our plates. I asked her to leave your drink. I thought you might be thirsty.”

“Thank you,” Clark responded in a lifeless voice.

“Are you going to talk to me, Clark? I cannot understand why you just clammed up.”

Clark just shook his head no. He continued to look out of the window, which seemed to be the only way that he could control his emotions. Eventually, sleep overtook him.

Lois sat and watched Clark fight with his emotions to keep them in check. Why did she have to keep hurting her best friend? She could tell that his heart was heavy and that he had been crying in the bathroom, but she didn’t broach that subject. She just wished that Clark would open up and maybe they could talk about this wedding thing and Clark would understand that he would always be special to her and be a part of her life. After all, he was her best friend. After what seemed like hours of deep thought, Lois went off to sleep.

The next morning, the Boeing 777 landed in Tokyo. Lois and Clark had awakened just minutes before landing as the Captain started to speak. After going through customs, immigration and agriculture, they went to obtain their luggage and head for the rental car desk.

Clark assumed responsibility and went up to the rental car desk. He spoke to the gentleman in fluent Japanese. After a verbal exchange that lasted about 15 minutes and Clark producing a driver’s license, passport and a credit card, the gentleman handed Clark the keys to what Lois would later find out to be a Toyota Windam, known in the United States as a Lexus ES330.

As Lois and Clark settled in the rental car, Lois took the rental papers from Clark to place in the glove compartment. Just as she was about to close the door to the glove compartment, she noticed the names on the rental car receipt.

“Clark! Mr. and Mrs. Kent! Have you lost your mind? You just wont give up! I tell you I don’t love you and you decide to just pretend that we’re married. You are…”

“Lois, it was just easier that way, so that I didn’t have to…oh, just never mind. You wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” Clark said, defeated.
“If I don’t love you why would I be married to you? Think about this Clark,” Lois yelled, getting angrier and angrier.

Clark wouldn’t respond. He just kept driving. Finally, after about half an hour he pulled up in front of their hotel, The Marriott. It was beautiful. Clark got out of the car and proceeded to unpack his and Lois’ bags from the trunk. The bellhop came with a rolling cart and got their belongings from the curb. Clark asked Lois to go into the lobby with the bellhop while he parked the car, the first thing he had said to her since the argument in the car. To his surprise, Lois didn’t rebuttal, she just did it. A few minutes later, Clark came up into the lobby of the hotel and proceeded to register. He tried to get separate beds and even put forth a last ditch effort to get separate rooms but they just weren’t available.

Once inside of their hotel room, the reporting team began to unpack their things and get comfortable. Lois in her competitive nature started up again.

“Clark, since there is only one bed and I am…”

“Lois, you can have the bed. I’ve already planned to sleep on the couch,” Clark stated, never really looking up from unpacking.

“Oh…”was all Lois could muster.

“Would you like some lunch? We could order room service,” Lois stated, trying to get some conversation. But, Clark just wouldn’t bite.

“I’m okay, Lois. You go ahead. I’m gonna look over some of the notes that I took from Perry before we left. You’re welcome to join me.”

Clark thought if he just kept the conversation to this level, he could do this for a few days and not loose control of his emotions.

tbc...

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.