This story was initially posted in nfic, still not completed, but I thought I could share it with those of you who have restrictions...cleaned up of course.
So...here goes...

What a Husband Should Be

This story line takes place around “Barbarians at the Planet”/”The House of Luthor”, however, some things are different. The Planet was never destroyed, just financially devastated. Luthor still owns it and Lois, so to speak. She has accepted Lex’s proposal and turned down Clark’s declaration of love in the park. Perry is still Editor in Chief and Lois and Clark are still partners, though very strained. Lex has stripped Superman/Clark of his powers in the Kryptonite cage and there are still 2 weeks before the Luthor wedding.

Perry is sending Clark to Japan on a story and Lois doesn’t want to be outdone, so she demands to tag along. She classifies this expedition as the last Lane and Kent story before she marries Lex and go to work at LNN against all better judgment. Lex is not at all happy about Lois leaving with Clark, but he’s going to let this one last time slide, maybe.

This is my first attempt at a story so constructive criticism is welcomed.

Normal disclaimers. None of these characters belong to me. And now…

“Kent! In my office,” Perry yelled in his most southern dialect.

“Want me too, Chief,” Lois asked, pleadingly.

“Well, no, honey. I’m going to have to send Kent on a story in Japan and I’m afraid that Luthor’s instructions were for Kent to go solo. I have to follow orders as much as I’d like to do things differently,” Perry replied, rather solemnly. He really hated breaking up the greatest newspaper team in the world. More than that, he hated Luthor. He hated working for him. This story could have brought Lane and Kent a Kerth, but now, since Luthor owned the Planet and Lois was his fiancée, it may bring just Kent a Kerth.

“I’m going Chief. I’ll deal with Lex! I’m a newspaper reporter, at least for another three weeks. This could be my last big story before I go to work for LNN.” That realization almost brought tears to Lois’ eyes, but it was expected of her to got to work for Luthor in a closer proximity than to keep her old ties at the Daily Planet, once they were married.

“Your last big story, Lois? I think Perry called me into his office for this one. You just invited yourself along,” Clark grated out.

“Just because I told you that I’m not in love with you doesn’t give you the right to cut me out of a story…”

“Lane! Kent! Please! Do this on your own time! Right now, more than ever, I’ve got a newspaper to run! Now, hopefully this will be the break that will get the Daily Planet back on its feet. Do I have your full attention now?”

“Yes Chief.”

“Yea Chief,” Lois and Clark replied in unison.

“Now, Kids, an old buddy of mine...” Perry related. You two should be able to wrap this up in a week, maybe less, since the both of you are going. Here are vouchers for your plane tickets and unfortunately, the Planet could only afford to reserve one hotel room, since we only thought we were sending one reporter.”

“What! I can’t spend the night in the same room as Clark. I…”

“I’m not sharing a room with her…” Lois and Clark yelled together.

“This is it folks! Take it or leave it. After all, we were only sending Kent.”

Lois and Clark looked at each other and called a silent truce. Perry smiled within himself. Just what he needed…for Lane and Kent to be away from Luthor, together. Perry had footed the second ticket himself, because truthfully, the planet would only finance one reporter. Maybe Kent could talk some sense into that girl. He hated that bastard, Luthor, for the evil mark he had left on Metropolis. And Lois’ saw Luthor through such rosy glasses. How could such a brilliant investigative reporter be so naïve and blind to such a heinous criminal?

“Now, the flight leaves tomorrow at 0900. Go home and pack!”

Lois turned and almost marched out of Perry’s office. Perry could see the hostility in her walk. Clark just turned, shoved his hands in his pants pockets, lowered his shoulders and took on a look of pure defeat. Just as Clark went to exit Perry’s office, Perry called out to him,

“Hey Kent…”

“Yea, Chief?”

“Good luck with Attila, there,” followed by a deep bellowed laugh.

“Thanks Chief. I’m gonna need it.”

Lois met Lex for dinner as they had been doing for the past week or so since they had gotten engaged. Lois seemed even more preoccupied tonight than she ever had been when in Lex’s company. Luthor of course knew that Lois was preoccupied and he knew exactly why, but he wanted Lois to volunteer the information to him, so that he could tell her that she couldn’t go. After all, he had planted the story to get that nuisance, Kent out of the way for good. It was time he started to train her to be Lex Luthor’s wife and take away that damned annoying independent streak, and get rid of that nothing Kent at the same time.

Lois and Lex sat at one of Lex’s many dinner tables over the rack of lamb and asparagus that chef Andre had prepared. Lois was just picking at her food. Lex thought this the opportunity to open the door for her to express her intentions, which would be immediately shot down.

“Lois, my darling? What’s troubling you? Talk to me,” Lex so elegantly spoke with that deceitful cat like smile he often displayed.

“Oh, Lex. Perry is sending Clark away on an assignment to Japan, a big story. I am going with him. It’s my last big chance at a Kerth before we are married and I retire to LNN. We leave in the morning at 0900. I just wanted to discuss it with you, since we’re going to be married and all and…”

“Lois, my darling, I can take you to Japan daily if you’d like. You don’t have to tag along with Kent and you don’t need a big story. You don’t have to work at LNN. Hell, you don’t have to work at all. It would actually be wonderful if you didn’t work and could spend time with volunteer work and Luthor Industries’ causes…”

“Lex, this isn’t about working or money. It’s what I like to do. I want a Kerth, a Pulitzer even. Please, just let me do this alone. I’m asking for your support, not your permission.”

Luthor’s first reaction was to snatch that little hussy into step, but decided to just go along with this one. After all, she had it right. It would be her last time. Maybe the plan would even work better with her there to watch Kent shamelessly grovel to the Immigration people when they wouldn’t let him back into the United States. After all, he looked sort of Japanese and it would certainly be believable that he was really a Japanese citizen.

“Very well, my dear. You have my blessing. But be careful. Now you have an early start in the morning so I’ll have Nigel drive you home.”

“Thank you, Lex. I knew you’d understand my love for my work.”

“Just be careful of Kent. I don’t trust him.”

“Clark is harmless, Lex. He wouldn’t…” Lois started in defense of Clark.

“But he has eyes for my lady,” Lex sneered poetically.

“Well, I wouldn’t worry about that. Clark knows where we stand and he would never betray my trust,” Lois recited, kissing Lex on the cheek.

“Okay, but I won’t rest until you are back in my arms. Goodnight, Lois.”

“Goodnight, Lex,” Lois responded as Nigel placed her coat. Then she followed Nigel to the car, like a schoolgirl who had just been giver permission by her dad to attend a slumber party.

“Nigel! Please see me when you return. I have some business for you to attend,” Lex related in an almost sinister voice.

“Certainly, Sir,” Nigel replied with a slight bow.

Clark had left work and run a few errands. It was now close to eight thirty and he was pretty much close to finished packing. It had been almost two weeks since he had escaped Luthor’s Kryptonite cage. Clark wondered to himself if he would ever get his powers back. He spent as much time as safely possible in the sun, but so far…nothing. This human speed thing was just miserable. But it allowed him time to think, about things, about Lois. He really didn’t want to but he couldn’t help himself. How could she marry the most dangerous criminal in the world and not see him for what he really is and at the same time reject her best friends expression of love without even thinking about it. How could she not see Clark Kent for who he really is? Oh, how he loved her and would now have to spend a week alone with her in torture. He would be an emotional wasteland when he got back from Japan.

Lois got home and packed for her trip. She had a big part of the night to pack. She decided that she could sleep on the plane. Her mind wondered as she packed. For some reason, she thought of Clark and his distraught look when she had turned down his declaration of love in the park, only to be turned down the same way almost by Superman. Speaking of Superman, he hadn’t been seen in about two weeks and crime in Metropolis was on the rise. What a coward. Did he really hate her that much? Again, she drifted off to thinking about Clark. She could tell that he really did love her, but why wait until Lex proposed to tell her? He had such horrible timing. And Lex…she didn’t appreciate one bit how he tried to dictate her life. Little did he know that Lois Lane was not about to start submitting to him just because they were married. Married…married? Was this the right thing to do? Slowly, sleep overtook Lois. She had to remember to ask Clark to borrow one of his carry on bags for her makeup.

“Sir, what can I do for you,” Nigel asked in his most English accent.

“Nigel, I need you to make sure that immigration doesn’t allow Kent back into the US, at least not for a very long time. Then Lois and I can be married without her being distracted by him,”
Lex announced.

“Oh, and Nigel, be sure that Lois is present so that she can witness him grovel, and see just how weak that country bumpkin really is.”

“Already done, Sir,” and Nigel exited the room.

It was a beautiful sunny morning in Metropolis, 7 o’clock. Lois was outside of Clark’s door as she promised to drive them to the airport. She stood there for a few minutes, almost nervous, but then finally started to knock. Almost immediately, Clark opened the door.

“Hi. You ready,” Lois asked almost shyly.

She was having regretful flashbacks of the argument that they started in Perry’s office the day before.

“Hi, come in,” Clark beckoned as he stepped aside for Lois to enter. “I’ll be ready in just a sec.”

"Clark, would you happen to have a small carry on bag that I could borrow, just for my makeup and my passport. I seemed to have misplaced mine.”

“Sure, I have another one just like this one,” Clark responded in a solemn tone. “I’ll be right back.”

Once Clark had given Lois the carry on bag and she placed all of her intended belongings in it, they left for the Metropolis International Airport. The ride to the airport was almost in silence. Lois drove and Clark looked out the window mostly. He thought this was the way to keep from breaking down. Even without his superpowers, he was still so tuned in to Lois’ heartbeat and her scent. It was an overwhelming torture, but he would handle it.

Lois drove along to the airport. What was Clark’s problem? Why was he being so distant, after all, they were best friends, right? He had hardly said a word, just looked out the window the whole way to the airport. This was going to be a long trip.

“Clark, we’re here,” Lois stated as she shook Clark’s shoulder.

“Oh, yea," Clark responded as he jumped almost like a startled rabbit.

“You okay," Lois asked in a sincerely concerned voice.

“Yea, I’m okay,” Clark responded in a not-so-convincing voice. He actually looked like he had tears in his eyes that he batted away.

“Ready?"

“Ready,” Clark said in a voice so soft that Lois could barely hear him. Clark grabbed most of the larger bags, Lois grabbed the rest, and they walked in silence into the airport.

Their Air Japan flight had taken off on time and they were about twenty minutes airbourne. The were seated in first class due to some sort of mix up at the ticket counter and this was the airline’s way of apologizing. Clark hated to fly. This just wasn’t natural, to fly in an enclosed container. Good thing his super powers weren’t working or he probably would have crushed the armrest to smithereens.

“Clark…want to talk about it?” Lois asked as she reluctantly rested her hand on top of Clark’s. “I’m still your friend."

“No, Lois,” Clark almost yelled, yanking his hand away at what seemed like super speed. Then he softened and finished, “I don’t want to talk about it…I can’t talk about it right now."

“Talk about what? Why? I want to help you…”

“No, Lois,” Clark said as he started to tear again. He shut his eyes tight for a minute, and then opened them again. He then almost whispered, “I can’t," then he shut his eyes tight again. “Maybe later, okay?"

Lois just nodded in silent agreement. Inside she sort of knew what was bothering Clark and she felt bad about it. She had seen how emotional he had become. What had she done to him? Demanded to tag along with him and remind him of what he couldn’t have. How could she do this to the man she called her best friend…the only true friend she had ever had? This was going to be a really long flight.

Four hours into the flight, Clark realized that he had drifted off because he awakened to a heavy weight on his right shoulder. He was disoriented for a moment, but soon remembered that he was on a flight to Japan. The weight on his shoulder he realized was Lois’ head. She must have drifted off to and laid her head on his shoulder. He thought of pushing her head away, but then decided to just cradle her instead, revel in the last time that he would probably be able to hold Lois like this. He lifted the armrest, reached around her shoulders and cradled her head to his chest. He planted multiple butterfly kisses in her hair as he whispered, “God, Lois, I love you so much. What I wouldn’t do to have you as my own wife, cherish you the way you deserve and not display you like some prize that I won at a carnival. You deserve so much more than that, than Luthor. He doesn’t love you. He wants to own you."

Lois shifted in her sleep and snuggled more comfortably into Clark’s warm embrace. Clark just smiled, for the first time in weeks, and dozed back off to sleep.

tbc...

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.