from part 29...

"Poker?" Clark's eyebrows flew up his forehead.

Lois laughed. "Does that surprise you?"

"I guess I just didn't think--"

"That an elderly woman would play a hard game of cards?" Lois finished for him, her eyes twinkling. "She does, and she's good at it. Better than me. And before you ask, yes, I even join them sometimes."

Grinning at his look of surprise, she opened the front door and stepped out in the hall. She returned a few moments later and gave Clark's arm a playful slap as she walked past him toward the terrace.

"Come on," she urged without looking back over her shoulder to see if he was following, "before I change my mind and refuse to leave with you just to spite you."

~*~*~*~*~

Part 30

~*~*~*~*~

The night air had grown colder the further east they flew, and by the time Clark set Lois down inside his apartment, she was shivering. He set her back on the floor next to her and held up a finger, urging her to be quiet for a moment. Then he became a blur as he flew around his apartment and in and out of the various rooms. When he stopped in front of her, the relief was evident on his face.

"There are no bugs or cameras anywhere here. We're safe."

"Thank goodness," she breathed. "Can you imagine if someone had *your* place wired for cameras? They'd learn a whole lot more than they expected."

Clark nodded grimly. "I know. Now let's see about getting you warmed up." He hurried into his living room and grabbed the afghan from the couch. Then he returned and wrapped it around her securely. "Is that any better?"

"Yeah, thanks." She smiled and adjusted the heavy blanket higher on her chilled neck. "I guess winter's coming, isn't it? You can sure feel it out here, a lot more than you can in the Bay Area."

Clark nodded. "You really can." He stepped back and spun into his Clark clothes. When he finished a few moments later, he smiled at her expression.

"No matter how many times you do that, it always amazes me." She grinned at him and shook her head.

She took a step toward the living room, and Clark quickly put a hand on the small of her back and guided her over to the couch. He sat down beside her and drew her close in an effort to warm her further.

Content to be in the arms of the man she loved, Lois dropped her head onto Clark's shoulder. A comfortable silence settled between them. But a few minutes later, Lois spotted a manila folder on the coffee table in front of them.

As always, her curiosity got the better of her. She lifted her head from his shoulder and nodded at the thick folder. "What are you working on?"

"Oh!" Clark sat up straighter and reached for the file. "I almost forgot. I flew out to Smallville tonight to pick up these papers. They're the reports on the meteorites I found in the warehouse."

Lois's brow furrowed. "The ones that worried you?"

Clark nodded, and she took the file Clark extended to her. When she flipped open the cover and the words 'Smallville, Kansas, 1966' leaped off the first page, her frown deepened. She turned the page.

With Clark reading over her shoulder, Lois pored over the scientific data and reports. Her concern mounted with each page. She read what the scientists had learned about the meteorites, which contained a degree of radioactivity harmless to humans, but when combined with a level of toxicity, it could have resulted in the destruction of a planet.

Lois's eyes widened, and she looked up from the reports to meet Clark's gaze. "They think the toxins and radioactivity in these meteorites could have been possible for a Planet's--your Planet's--explosion? On one of the globe's holograms, your father mentioned Krypton's core disintegration. Do you think this is what caused it? The combination of elements contained in these meteorites?"

His expression was solemn. "I suppose it's possible."

"And they think these meteorites are actually part of your home world that followed you into orbit."

"It looks that way, doesn't it?" Clark shifted on the couch, trying not to think about the destruction that took his parents--and his people--away from him.

Lois's eyes dropped back to the reports in front of her, and she continued to read. When she came across the one scientist's theory that "Superman" could have arrived on earth in 1966 in the capsule that had crashed into a farmer's field in Smallville, Kansas, accompanied by outcroppings of meteorites, she gasped.

"Clark!" she exclaimed, her eyes flying up to his.

"I know." Clark nodded, sharing her fear. "It scared me, too, to realize how close they are to the truth. They haven't made the connection between Clark Kent and Superman, but they pretty much nailed the rest."

Anxious about what else there was to learn from the data, Lois once again turned her attention to the reports. She read about the tests they'd conducted on the meteorites found at the site, and how, while apparently not harmful to humans, they might be to Superman.

A shiver went up her spine. When the last page was finally read, she closed the file. She sat silently for several minutes as she pondered everything she'd learned. At last she looked over to see Clark watching her expectantly.

She shook her head. "But I don't get it. How could a piece of your planet be potentially harmful to you?"

"Maybe the same way it was instrumental in my planet's destruction." Clark shrugged. "The data states the toxin isn't harmful to humans, but maybe it *is* harmful to Kryptonians. To me."

"Now, Clark, we don't know that for sure," Lois soothed, seeing the anxious expression on his face. "All we have here is a lot of theories by a bunch of scientists. They haven't been able to make any conclusions as yet. They'd have to test it--"

Her voice broke off and she suddenly paled.

When she didn't say anything more, Clark looked at her with concern. "Lois? What is it?"

A haunted expression moved across her features. "Clark..." Her voice was but a mere whisper. "What if they *have* already tested it?"

His brow furrowed. "What do you mean?"

Lois hesitated for a moment, considering. But the more she thought about it, the more it all made sense.

Shifting on the couch so she could face Clark, she ran a hand through her hair. "Okay, hear me out. Luthor made those two rather sizeable donations to Bureau 39--one a couple of years ago, and one just a couple of months ago, right?"

"Yeah. So?"

"Well, if Luthor had some business with Bureau 39 in the past, he could have been privy to their information. What if he found out about these meteorites, read the reports, and decided this scientist's theory about the meteorite being harmful to Superman had some merit?"

"Okay." He nodded, urging her to go on.

"Well, you've already theorized that Luthor was behind those 'tests.' What if he found out that this meteorite could have an effect on Superman, and decided to add it to his list of tests?"

"To see what kind of effect it would have on me?" he asked, his brow furrowing.

Lois nodded, and her next words were ominous. "Maybe he already has."

Clark's blood ran cold. For a long moment he didn't speak. When he did, his voice was a hoarse whisper. "That day I lost my powers."

Her eyes were wide as she nodded again. "How hard would it have been for him to stage an emergency, like that bomb in the Carlin building lobby, and plant some of this meteorite on one of his people in that crowd of spectators? Then when you walked by, he'd find out what kind of reaction he'd get."

"And it took my powers away."

Lois's heart clenched painfully as she thought back to that frightening day. "And that was only a short term exposure," she reminded him solemnly. "How long were you out with the crowd before you felt so awful? A couple minutes? I hate to sound pessimistic, but what kind of effect could long-term exposure have on you?"

Clark paled. "I don't know. And I sure don't want to find out."

"Me either." Lois reached out for one of Clark's hands, hoping to comfort him--as well as herself. "But we have to face facts. With this information in Luthor's hands, it could tip the scales in his favor."

They were silent for several minutes as they contemplated that frightening theory. But then Clark spoke up, a note of hopefulness returning to his voice.

"Wait a minute, Lois. Maybe we're jumping the gun here. What if it was somebody from Bureau 39 that tested it, and Luthor doesn't really know anything about it?"

Lois frowned and shook her head. "Men like Luthor don't make sizeable contributions to covert government groups without expecting something in return. He wanted something from them. And a rock from another planet with theoretical applications for harming his new nemesis would be worth some serious coin. He's the third richest man in the world. Money is no object. But you--Superman--are clearly a threat to whatever illegal businesses he has his hands in. He wouldn't think twice about shelling out his money for a meteorite that could harm Superman."

Clark's face fell, his hopes dashed. "You're right. I hate to admit it, but you're right." He was quiet for a moment. Then a look of renew determination moved across his face. "We've got to find something on Luthor and put him away. Fast."

Lois nodded. "I agree." She sighed, then tossed the file folder onto the coffee table in front of her. "Have you said anything to your mom and dad yet about these files?"

He shook his head. "I didn't want to alarm them. Besides, they don't even know I have them. When I went out there tonight to get them, I just said I had to get something from the barn. They didn't ask, so I didn't explain."

"With this kind of information, I can see why you wouldn't want them to know. I don't think I'd tell them, either, if I were you."

Clark's concerned frown slowly changed into a slight smile. "They send their love, by the way."

Lois looked up at him. "What?"

"Mom and Dad." His eyes started to twinkle. "When I was there earlier, they said to send their love."

She smiled, touched that they'd obviously talked about her. "They're so nice. I can't get over how welcoming they've been."

"They are pretty great, aren't they?" Clark agreed. His gaze fell on the folder on the coffee table in front of them and he sighed. "There's no way I could tell them about this meteorite. They worry about me enough as it is."

"Then we won't tell them." Lois's voice was firm as she moved closer and snuggled up against him. "We'll just get to Luthor before anyone's the wiser."

Clark chuckled softly as he leaned down to kiss the top of Lois's head lightly. "You make it sound so easy."

"It's not." She shook her head. "But it's only a matter of time before we nail him. We're already getting close. I have the bruises to prove it." She frowned as she reached up to finger her bandaged forehead gingerly.

His arm tightened protectively around her. "I'm so sorry that happened, Lois. I should have been there--"

"Clark, stop." Lois tilted her head back so she could give him a stern look. "I've already told you this wasn't your fault."

"I know. But with all the powers I have, I'd like to think I could at least keep the woman that I love safe. And now that you're here in Metropolis, I feel more confident I can do that." He sighed longingly. "For a few days, anyway."

Lois caught the meaning in his words, but didn't address them. The distance between them only continued to be a touchy subject. Instead, she moved on to another topic.

"So, what's the plan for the rest of the week? Jim's not expecting me back until Monday, but you still have work this week. You're not expecting me to just hang out here all day, are you?" She grinned mischievously...then froze. A new idea began forming in her mind. Suddenly she sat up straight. "I know! I could go to work with you! I'd love to see Perry and Jimmy again, and I could help you on whatever stories you have going!"

Clark chuckled. "Lois, I don't think Corporate has approved a 'Bring a Girlfriend to Work' week."

Lois put her hands on her hips and pretended to look indignant. "I'm not just your girlfriend," she spat out, "I happen to be one of the most renowned investigative journalists in the country."

"With no qualms about telling everyone so," Clark quipped with a teasing smile.

She smacked him on the arm, but she was smiling, as well. "Hey, I'm telling the truth, aren't I? Besides, I would think Perry and his bosses would be more than happy to have me hit the beat with you. For free, no less. What kind of management would pass up that kind of offer?"

Clark threw back his head and laughed. "It's no wonder you've gotten where you are today with negotiation skills like that. You could obviously con your way into anything."

"You'd better believe it. So is it a deal? Can I come with you to work?"

"I'll see what I can do," Clark gave in.

"Let's just hope he doesn't mention it to my editor." Lois's expression took on a look of concern. "I'm not sure he'd like the idea of giving me time off to recover, then learn I spent that time off working for another newspaper...even if it is a sister company."

Clark nodded. "Makes sense. Look, I'll talk to Perry in the morning and see if you can come in with me after lunch. But you stay here and rest in the morning, understand? If you're going to be pounding the pavement with me, I want you to be rested. I don't want you to end up pushing yourself too hard and exhaust yourself. You're recovering from a head injury, remember?"

"I remember," Lois mumbled. She hated to give in to his reasoning that she rest in the morning, but she knew he was right. She was already feeling pretty tired and she hadn't done all that much today. A yawn involuntarily escaped, and she smiled sheepishly when Clark cocked an eyebrow at her.

"See?" he gloated. "You're tired, and you're bound to be just as tired tomorrow if you don't get some rest. So, come on. Let's get you to bed." He slid his arm out from behind her and stood up, then offered her his hand.

She eyed it reluctantly, then put her hand in his. "Okay." She sighed in resignation. "But you're coming to bed, too, aren't you?"

He glanced up at the clock on the wall, then sighed. "I will in a bit. Why don't you change and climb into bed, and I'll join you as soon as I get back."

"Back?" Lois pouted. "Where are you going?"

"I need to do my nightly patrol over the city, but I promise it won't take long."

Lois lifted her eyebrows in surprise. "You do a patrol over the city every night before you go to bed?"

Clark started to turn a light shade of pink. He squirmed under her intent stare. "Does that sound stupid?"

"No!" she exclaimed, looking apologetic that she'd given him the wrong impression. "No, not at all. I'm just a little surprised, that's all. I haven't spent any real time with you in Metropolis since we started dating, so I never really thought about what your Superman responsibilities might entail."

"Well, nobody's told me what I should or shouldn't do, but in addition to the rescues I make, I like to take a flight over the city before I turn in. It seems to keep the criminals at bay."

Surprised at the new insight into the man she loved, she shook her head and smiled as she moved closer to Clark, slipping her arms around his waist. With a contented sigh, she pressed her cheek against his chest as his arms went around her tightly.

"What is this for?" he asked with a pleased smile.

"No reason," she murmured against the spandex of his Suit he hadn't yet changed out of since their arrival. "It's just when I think I know everything there is to know about you, you surprise me with something new. What else am I going to learn about you this week, staying here with you?"

Clark chuckled as his arms tightened around her further. "Well, let's see. I've been told I'm obnoxiously cheerful in the morning, I'm known to dash off in the middle of meals and casual conversations--though now you know why, and I get ready for work faster than anybody you know."

Lois laughed. "I'm sure you do. But that's great, because it will give me more time to get ready to go to work with you the next couple of days. Oh, that reminds me." She pulled back from their embrace and tilted her face up to look at him. "I'm going to need some work clothes for going to the Planet. I didn't pack anything other than jeans and casual wear."

"No problem. I can swing past your apartment and pick up whatever you need."

But Lois shook her head at his offer. "That's no good. We locked everything up, including my sliding glass door, and I really don't want to have to explain to any nosy neighbors why Superman is trying to break into my apartment."

"Good point."

"I have my purse and my credit card," she told him. "I'll just hit a couple of shops in the morning while you're at work and pick up something. I've been meaning to update my wardrobe a little anyway."

"Lo-is," he warned. "I told you that you needed to rest in the morning if you were to come to work with me in the afternoon. Spending the morning shopping isn't exactly what I had in mind."

"Clark, I'm not a shopaholic. I only need a couple of things. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so."

He rolled his eyes. "I've seen how you women shop. It takes you an hour just to pick out shoes."

Lois laughed. "I promise it won't. I'll even make you a deal. I'll call you from my cell phone when I leave your apartment, then call you when I'm done. You can time me. If you don't hear from me after approximately an hour, Superman can come looking for me and make a scene in whatever shop I'm in. Deal?"

He deliberated for a moment, then nodded, determination evident in his eyes. "You've got a deal. And don't think I won't come looking for you. You need to take care of yourself, Lois; and if you won't, I will. One hour. That's it. Then I want you back here resting."

Lois smiled triumphantly, knowing she'd won the battle. "Fair enough. But where should I go? It could take me an hour just to find somewhere to shop since I don't know the city very well."

"There are a couple of career clothing shops not far from here. It would only take a couple of minutes by cab."

"Perfect. Then that's where I'll go." She stood on tiptoe to press a quick kiss to Clark's lips, then went over to the window to retrieve her overnight bag. "I'll go change and get in bed. Hurry home, would you?"

Clark felt himself pause at her words. A warm feeling started in his heart and spread out from there. He'd been so lonely for so long. He'd traveled the world over in search of something...something that would make his life feel worthwhile.

And now, standing there in his apartment, was the woman he loved, telling him to hurry home. No words had ever sounded more beautiful to his ears.

Fighting back the rush of emotions threatening to overcome him, he smiled softly and reached up to stroke her cheek tenderly. "You can count on it." A moment later, his eyes flickered to the gauze covering her temple. "Do you need any help changing your bandage before I go? You'll need to put a fresh dressing on, right?"

Lois nodded. "I brought along the stuff I need to do that, but I can do it." At his hesitant look, she shooed him away. "Clark, go. I'll be fine. I'll see you when you get back."

He smiled. "Okay." He leaned in to give her a quick kiss. "I won't be gone long."

After he left, Lois expected to feel uncomfortable being alone in somebody else's apartment, but she found herself feeling oddly at home instead. She changed into a form fitting T-shirt and flannel lounge pants, then brushed her teeth and changed her bandage. Then she climbed into bed, breathing in deeply the familiar scent of Clark lingering on his pillows.

She had initially been resistant to the idea of coming to Metropolis for the next few days, knowing that Clark's main reason for suggesting it was to protect her. But she didn't need protection. She was a big girl. Sure, bad things sometimes happened to her, but luckily they had been few and far between.

But tonight, instead of feeling stifled, she felt loved. Treasured. And there was no better feeling in the world than that.

"Chief? Do you have a second?"

Perry looked up from the papers on his desk and spotted Clark in his office doorway. "Sure, Clark, come on in." He waved him in and leaned back in his chair to better see his young reporter. "What can I do for you?"

Clark shifted his weight nervously from one foot to the other. "I have kind of a favor to ask. Well, I guess it's not really a favor," he quickly amended, "because she's right that you could benefit from it..."

Perry furrowed his eyebrows and frowned at his usually mild-mannered reporter. Something had him nervous. Just then he caught the word 'she' and held up his hand. "Hold on, son. She? Who are you talking about? I'm afraid you've lost me."

He watched as Clark took a deep breath, then tried again. "Lois is in town," he clarified. "She's spending the next few days with me, and--"

"Lois? Lois Lane?" Perry's eyebrows flew clear up to his hairline, and the stunned expression on his face brought Clark to a halt once again. "She's in town and staying with you? Uhhh...is there something you'd like to tell me, son?"

Clark's cheeks began to turn a distinct shade of red. He slid his hands into his slacks pockets and shrugged. "Lois and I have been dating for a few months," he admitted. "You could say it's getting pretty serious."

"You don't say." Perry fought to control the smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

This he hadn't been expecting. The last time he'd seen them, Lois Lane had been backing Clark down at his desk, with Clark looking very much like a deer caught in the headlights. Obviously something had changed.

"Huh," he finally managed noncommittally. He cleared his throat and sat up a bit straighter to keep himself from leaping from his seat and demanding to know how all this had happened. Lois Lane and Clark Kent. He loved Clark like a son, and had instantly taken a liking to Lois when he'd met her in his newsroom months ago. But never in his wildest dreams had he imagined the two young reporters--so very different from each other in temperament--would fall for each other.

"And she's in town visiting, you said?" he prompted, seeing that Clark was looking very uncomfortable under his scrutiny.

Clark nodded. "Yes. But you met her...she's such a workaholic that sitting around my apartment during the day is going to drive her nuts. She was wondering if she could come in to work with me this afternoon on the stories I have going, and maybe even the next day or so. She's right that she could really be an asset to me with the stories I'm working on, sharing some fresh insight and helping me hit the beat. Would it be okay if she did?"

The smile Perry had somewhat managed to contain until now began to spread across his face. "Lois Lane? The woman who refused to let me partner her with somebody when she was here a few months ago wants to come in and partner with you while she's in town?" He shook his head and chuckled. "Now I've seen everything."

"Chief?" Clark looked at Perry in confusion.

Still grinning, Perry waved off Clark's unspoken question. "Never mind, son, never mind. Tell her I'd love to have her reporting skills in my newsroom for a couple of days. That is, if you two are agreeing to *work*, and not sit around making lovey eyes at each other all day."

Clark nodded quickly, relief clearly evident on his face. "Of course, Perry. You can count on us to behave professionally."

"Good. Now get out there and get to work," Perry barked. "And tell Lois I want to see her when she gets here."

With another nod, Clark hurried out of his office as if he were afraid his editor might reconsider if given too long to think about it.

Through his office window, Perry watched as Clark strode quickly to his desk and pick up the phone. Perry smiled. He had no doubts as to who he was calling.

Chuckling, Perry scooted his chair back up to his desk and turned his attention back to his paperwork. He'd been procrastinating getting it done, but now he planned to rush through it so his afternoon would be free. He didn't want anything keeping him from the entertainment he was sure to have later that day.

Lois took a last look in the bathroom mirror, smoothing a stray strand of hair back into her hair style. Then she spayed on a touch of hair spray, unplugged her curling iron, and stepped back. Her makeup was subtle but gave her the touch of color she needed, and she'd changed the larger bandage on her temple for a much smaller one. She pulled her hair forward just a bit more, feeling satisfied that it wasn't as noticeable.

Just then she heard the front door to the apartment open, followed by the sound of Clark's voice. "Lois?"

"In the bathroom," she called back. "I'll be right out." She glanced up at the clock and noticed with surprise it was already 12:30. The morning had flown.

Sliding her makeup and brushes back into her bag, she got the counter cleaned up, then went out to greet Clark. "Hey," she said just as he'd reached the bottom of the steps and was starting across the living room.

He stopped, then let out a low wolf-whistle. His megawatt grin flashed across his face as he looked her up and down. "Lois, you look great!"

She glanced down at her form-fitting black slacks, long-sleeved white blouse, and the chunky silver necklace she'd purchased for good measure. She looked back up at Clark and taunted, "Are you saying I usually don't?"

Instantly his smile faded. "No! That's not what I meant at all," he hurried to clarify. "You always look great. It's just that I don't see you dressed up for work very often. When I come out to see you, you've usually changed into jeans or something more comfortable than your work clothes..."

"Relax, Clark." She grinned up at him and patted his arm as she went past to get her purse from the couch. "I know what you meant. I was just giving you a hard time."

Clark let his breath out in a rush. "Whew. I thought I'd really painted myself into a corner there for a minute."

Lois laughed. "Not at all. I love having you tell me I look great." She slipped her purse onto her shoulder and then came back to stand before him.

He slid his arms around her and leaned down to kiss her. "Well, you do," he insisted. "And I'm amazed you kept your promise of only being out shopping for an hour."

"Well, a little more than an hour," she admitted sheepishly. "But only by ten minutes! And you can blame that on that psychotic Metropolis cabbie. He got lost the first time. How on earth can a cabbie in this city get lost driving to a store four blocks away? You'd think he'd know his way around before accepting fares."

"Maybe he was new," Clark responded diplomatically.

Lois shrugged. "Who knows. Shall we go?"

They left the apartment, and Lois quizzed Clark on the cab ride to the Planet about the stories he was currently working on. By the time they arrived, Lois felt a twinge of excitement at the prospect of working on some good, solid stories.

Clark climbed out of the cab first, then held the door open for Lois as she slid out. When she straightened, she looked up at the Daily Planet globe overhead. The familiar, comfortable sensation of belonging filled her soul just as it had the first time she'd come to the Planet.

The feeling stayed with her as she rode up in the elevator with Clark and stepped out into the bustling newsroom. Clark reached for her hand as they did, giving it a comforting squeeze. Just then a familiar voice called out to Clark as they approached the bullpen, and they turned to see Jimmy approaching, a smile on his face in the way of greeting.

As soon as he saw who she was, however, his smile broadened into a mischievous one. He lifted his eyebrows at Clark conspiratorially. "C.K.! You didn't tell me Lois was in town." He turned his broad grin Lois's direction. "It's great to have you here, Lois. So, you and C.K. here are an item, huh? I think that's great!"

Lois glanced at Clark in confusion. "You didn't tell me anybody knew about us."

Clark smiled sheepishly and shrugged, then threw an arm around Jimmy's shoulders, playfully tightening his grip into a mock choke hold as they started toward the bullpen again. "Thanks a lot, Jimmy. You're blowing my cover, man."

Lois laughed at the look of concern on Jimmy's face. "Really, Jimmy, it's okay," she reassured him as Clark released his grip on the younger man. "It's not exactly a secret. I was just surprised anyone knew."

"Yeah, well, I caught C.K. calling in a florist order for you not long ago," he admitted. "I promised him I wouldn't spread it around. Though the fact that you two are walking in here looking very much like a couple is going to make the newsroom buzz without *my* gossiping, I'm sure."

"I guess that's true." Clark turned questioning eyes on Lois. "Does that bother you?"

She shook her head. "Not at all." And to prove it, she stretched up to press a light kiss to Clark's lips when the reached his desk.

"Hey, hey, hey!" a deep voice boomed from nearby. "I said none of that lovey-dovey stuff in my newsroom, Kent!"

Lois jerked back and turned toward the voice. She saw that Perry was approaching, his stocky build and gruff demeanor--and the familiar teasing twinkle in his eye--causing her to smile.

"Perry," she greeted, offering her hand. When he took it and shook it firmly, she said, "It's good to see you again. Thanks for having me this afternoon."

He gave her hand a pat, then released it. "It's good to see *you* again. Clark told me you were in town visiting for a few days. It will be nice to have you in my newsroom once more."

"Thanks." She smiled sincerely.

"I'm planning on getting her thoughts on that story dealing with the series of robberies you have me working on," Clark chimed in.

Perry nodded. "The one you're looking for a new angle on? Sounds like a good idea." He turned to Lois. "See that you keep him on his toes, you hear? He needs to be yanked out of his comfort zone once in a while, and I'm sure you're just the one to do it." He winked at her, then moved off to answer the call of a nearby reporter.

Lois laughed softly at his retreating figure. "He's not nearly as hard-nosed as he comes off as being."

Jimmy agreed. "That's why I love working for him. He runs a tight ship, but I know he cares for his staff. Well, I'm off. I've got to run some files down to the second floor. Lois, I'll see you later. Let me know if you guys need anything, okay?"

"Thanks, Jimmy," Clark called after him. Then he turned back to Lois, an enthusiastic smile on his face. "So, are you ready to get started?"

For the rest of the morning, Lois helped Clark with his robbery investigation, offering some new insights and making some suggestions on how to fill in the gaps in his investigation. It felt like old times, Lois noted, going back to the first time she'd been in Metropolis, before she'd even learned Clark was Superman. They'd worked off each other so well that day in his apartment when they talked about what had quickly become their bicoastal investigation, and they were obviously still working together just as well. It was invigorating.

Clark seemed to sense it, too, because they become more and more animated as the pieces began to fall into place. After some more leg work and a dozen phone calls, they had several good, solid leads. Clark was sure Perry would be pleased.

"I'm going to write up what we've learned this afternoon," Clark told her when they finally wound down the afternoon. "He might be able to use it for the evening addition." Then a look of uncertainty slipped into his eyes. "Are you okay if I take some time to do that? You won't be bored, will you?"

She shook her head. "No, Clark, of course not. In fact, why don't you let me take a look at the research you've compiled on Meso, Inc. and LexCorp. I'm sure you haven't shown me every piece of paper Jimmy dug up for you. Why don't I go over them and see if there's anything we could have missed?"

Clark gathered up the paperwork he'd compiled over the last few weeks and held it out to her. "Go ahead and take that empty desk," he suggested, indicating the desk across the aisle from him. "Feel free to use the computer on it, if you need to. Nobody will mind."

"Great, thanks," Lois said, accepting the stack of papers and moving over to the desk. She sat down and started thumbing through the research.

As she skimmed through the pages, some familiar and some not, she found her eyes drifting over to Clark. She smiled as she watched him work, his brow furrowed with concentration and he put their findings together into an article hopefully suitable for that evening's edition. This was a side to him she hadn't seen before. She'd always known he was a hard worker, but actually sitting there and watching him write was something she found herself enjoying.

She watched the way his fingers would hover over the keys as he studied his notes on the desk to the right of his keyboard, and the way his lips would sometimes part and move slightly as he read the words on the screen before him. More than anything, she loved seeing this side of him.

A sudden longing burned through her. This was definitely something she could get used to--sitting at a desk across from Clark, watching him work, and knowing he was there to bounce ideas off of or collaborate with on the next big story. It felt comforting, somehow. Right.

She sighed and shook her head. As right as it felt, how exactly could they make that happen? As comfortable as she felt at the Planet and with Perry and Jimmy, she just didn't feel right about leaving San Francisco. It was her home. Just as Metropolis was Clark's.

She turned back to the research, the words a sudden blur. Why couldn't this be easy? Falling in love with Clark certainly had been. But the rest.... They'd reached the point when not everything was.

Suddenly a name on the page she began to turn caught her attention, yanking her thoughts back to her task.

Phillip Douglas. She knew that name. How did she know that name?

Trying to remember, Lois shifted back through the stack to the listings of LexCorp holdings. Nothing. She thought harder. On a hunch, she flipped through to the pages containing the information of the Metropolis shipping company of which they'd become suspicious.

And then she found it. Phillip Douglas. He was on the board of directors.

A surge of excitement rushed through her veins as she sorted back through the stack, pulling out anything and everything she could find that related to Metropolis Shipping, a subsidiary of LexCorp Enterprises. She read again through the research, refreshing her memory that many of LexCorps subsidiaries used the shipping company for the transportation of their goods. But what she was more interested in was the chain of command.

Upon further research, she discovered that Phillip Douglas was not only on the board of directors, but he seemed to oversee a rather large portion of the company's business. He had been in his position for several months, but beyond that he she couldn't seem to find anything else about him or his background. Suddenly curious to learn everything she could about Phillip Douglas, she turned to the computer in front of her and started searching. She managed to find a board of directors listing, and a picture of the man appeared on her screen.

She gasped. She knew him! But not as Phillip Douglas.

Typing furiously, she brought up several more pages of information. Her hunch proved correct. This man wasn't who he appeared to be. She had to tell Clark!

She practically leaped up from her chair, and the sudden motion startled Clark at the desk beside her. His head jerked away from his screen and his expression was one of concern as he looked at her.

"Lois, what's going on?" he asked as she walked--almost danced--her way over to him.

"Clark, you are not going to believe what I just found!" she squealed, grabbing his arm and dragging him from his chair.

"Lois, I'm typing up the story," he protested feebly as she hauled him over to her desk. But he chuckled as she shoved him down into her chair in front of the computer screen. "You'd better be glad I'm invulnerable," he whispered in her ear as she put her face next to his to look at the screen along with him. "That might have hurt otherwise."

She laughed. "Sorry, but this simply can. not. wait." Her voice nearly bubbling over with excitement, she pointed to a man's picture on the screen. "See this guy?"

Clark nodded. "Phillip Douglas," he read. "Who is he?"

"He's on the board of directors at Metropolis Shipping...you know, the shipping company that had the shipment of diamonds confiscated by Customs back when I met you?" When Clark nodded again, she went on. "Anyway, he's not only on the board, but he oversees a large portion of the business. And check this out. Remember when Bobby Bigmouth said the Board of Directors was rumored to have gotten a big cut of the stolen shipment of diamonds?"

"Yeah," Clark replied, looking up at her, his curiosity piqued.

"Well, take a look at his financial records. See these several larger deposits? The last two were made two weeks to the day that the diamonds were stolen from Customs." She paused for impact, then rushed on. "But do you want to know the most shocking thing of all? His real name isn't Phillip Douglas."

Clark's eyebrows flew up his forehead. "What?"

She grinned and shook her head. "This man's name is Dixon Freeman. How do I know that? I'm glad you asked, Clark," she enthused, dramatizing as she went. "I know who Dixon Freeman is because he was the owner of the company back in San Francisco that I told you about, the company that had come under investigation for possible money laundering by the FBI during my crime ring investigation. As soon as word got out that the FBI was investigating the company, it mysteriously shut down, and the board of directors and owner--Dixon Freeman--disappeared. "

Clark whistled. "Wow! Are you sure about this?"

"As I've ever been." Lois nodded seriously. "And if you look back at his financial records, there are large deposits that correspond with every stolen items shipping report filed through the San Francisco shipping company. That's all a little too coincidental, don't you think? I think the name 'Phillip Douglas' is an alias he used to hide the money from the insurance money scam in San Francisco. But it gets better!"

Clark chuckled at the sparkle in her eyes. "Do tell."

"I ran a background check on Dixon Freeman back then during my investigation, but I never gave this piece of information much thought...until now." She paused again and smiled when she saw Clark's rapt attention. "He was on Luthor's board of directors when he first started LexCorp all those years ago."

"So they knew each other." Clark's eyes widened.

"Not only did they know each other," Lois agreed, her hands starting to move quickly as her tone become more animated, "but Dixon Freeman was one of Luthor's top lawyers, and apparently his right hand man. He was instrumental in getting LexCorp started."

"So, you think Luthor had Freeman in a position to help with his black market business, but when he started drawing heat from the Feds, Luthor helped him disappear and put him in another position, using his alias."

"That's *exactly* what I think!" Lois smacked Clark's arm in emphasis. She flinched and shook her hand, giving him a sheepish smile. Then she started up again. "So now he's on the board at Metropolis Shipping, and it's possible that the San Francisco shipments are rerouted here where they can continue their scam."

"Exactly!" She beamed.

Clark shook his head and stood up from his chair, grinning broadly. He grabbed her and hugged her tightly, murmuring in her ear, "When was the last time I told you were brilliant?"

She giggled. "I don't know. I think it's been a while."

"Well, then, you're brilliant." He hugged her for another moment, then released her and looked back down at the research on her desk, items marked and circled, and the page covered with quickly scrawled notes.

"I know it's not enough to incriminate him, but it does blow a lot of things wide open," she said, trying to catch her breath as her heart pounded in her chest from explaining what she'd discovered. "I think we're finally getting that big break we've been hoping to get for so long."

Clark nodded, his face still lit with admiration for the amazing woman standing next to him. With a smile, he turned back to the screen. "What are these other pages you have up?"

"Oh, yeah, I've got to show you these shipping records I managed to find on Metropolis Shipping..."

~*~*~*~*~

Perry watched the scene before him from his office doorway, a slow smile on his face. The sudden motion of Lois leaping from her chair and dragging Clark away from his desk to sit at hers had caught his attention, and a moment later he'd found himself observing the drama unfolding before him.

He had no idea what they were investigating, or what Lois had found that had made her so excited, but it was clear that she was by the speed of her explanation which he couldn't quite hear, and the animated gestures she made with her hands as she spoke. He watched her point to the screen as her explanation rambled on, and Clark's obvious interest as he tipped his head back to see her as she accounted whatever it was she'd been able to dig up.

Lois held up a finger, signaling Clark to wait, as she fumbled through the stack of papers spread out along the top of the desk. Their heads moved close together as she pointed to something on the page. Then Lois straightened, a broad smile on her face. Clark laughed and shook his head in obvious amazement, then stood up to hug her.

Perry grinned. They were onto something. Something big. And that was sure to help circulation.

He shook his head and chuckled as Lois and Clark turned back to the computer screen. In all his years as a news man, he'd never seen anything like this--the animated partnership these two shared. Lois and Clark had chemistry; that much was certain. But that chemistry clearly didn't stop at their feelings for each other. It bled over into the ability to work together, and he knew that was going to make them a formidable team, one to be reckoned with.

For a fleeting moment, Perry considered the possibility of what a serious relationship between his young reporter and the young, ambitious woman from San Francisco could mean to him. To the Planet. He, himself, was thrilled there was love blooming between these young people. But over and beyond that, was it beyond reason to think she might want to move here to be closer to Clark? If that was the case, he might happen upon the best reporting team since Woodward and Bernstein.

Or he could lose one. If Clark decided to move to San Francisco, the talented team might be taken advantage of by the Chronicle.

Perry frowned. He couldn't let that happen. Aside from losing an obviously incredible team, he had grown very fond of Clark. He'd come to love him almost as a son. He'd much rather keep Clark around and gain a daughter.

He sighed when he realized he likely didn't have any say in the matter. But the least he could do was try to tip the scales in his favor, to make Lois's experience here mean enough to her that she might consider the possibility down the road.

Slipping his hands into his pocket, he strolled over to where Lois and Clark were still focused on the computer screen before them. "What have you kids got?"
His booming voice made them jump, and they turned toward him quickly. Clark straightened from where he was now standing beside Lois as she sat in the chair.

Clark recovered first. "We've been working on something for a few months involving that confiscated shipment of diamonds that came into the Metropolis harbor not long ago. We traced the paper trail of ownership back to a company Lois found ties to out in San Francisco. One of their subsidiaries was nailed in a drug smuggling scam, and we think these two shipping companies are connected. Somebody big is behind them, and we're getting close to proving it."

Perry felt his heart swell with pride. They were indeed onto something big. He nodded, the light of recognition of a good scandal shining in his eyes. "Sounds like you're onto something. Run with it. And with you two on this, I know I can expect front page news from this, right? Especially with Lois around to help you." He winked at Lois, who blushed and smiled.

Clark nodded at Perry. "We wouldn't give you any less, Chief."

"Good!" He clapped Clark on the shoulder, then moved off to his next duty. As he did, Perry felt himself holding onto the hope that he would come out on top of all this in the end.

~*~*~*~*~

Lois's gaze followed Perry's retreating back. "Do you think we should have told him who were ultimately hoping to link this investigation to?"

Clark shook his head. "It's too soon. Every fiber of my being tells me Luthor is guilty, but we just don't have any proof yet."

"I hope it won't be long." Lois sighed as she turned back to the computer monitor. "Someone with his power and position could be capable of almost anything. As he likely proved the other day." She reached up to finger the small bandage still covering her temple. "And now he probably has that meteorite in his possession."

Clark frowned. "I know. That's what worries me."

"Hey, Clark!"

The voice made them both look up, and they saw Jimmy coming toward him. "I almost forgot. I took a message for you earlier when you were on the phone."

Clark accepted the piece of paper and thanked Jimmy, who rushed off to finish his errands. Lois saw Clark's brow furrow.

"What is it?" she asked.

"It's a message from Bobby Bigmouth. He says he has some important information for me and wants to meet."

Lois stood up from her chair and grabbed her purse. "What are we waiting for? Let's go!"

~*~*~*~*~

Clark held the door open for Lois at an Italian restaurant twenty minutes later and ushered her in. She looked around. "We're meeting Bobby here?"

He nodded. "He works in the kitchen. He loves it because he gets free meals. And I was surprised to discover he's actually a pretty great chef."

Lois laughed quietly so as not to draw the attention of the waiting parties in the foyer. "I guess I'm not surprised, either. A man that eats that much would have to know something about cooking good cuisine."

Clark stepped up to the hostess and explained they were there to see the chef, and she nodded, as if expecting them. She ushered them back to a storage room near the kitchen, and Bobby appeared a minute later in a long white apron and chef's hat.

"Nice hat," Lois teased when she saw him.

Bobby broke out into a big smile when he saw her. "Lois Lane. Fancy meeting you here." He grinned at Clark. "You guys a thing now? It's about time. I knew from the first moment I saw you two together it was only a matter of time."

Clark chuckled. Then he turned back to the matter at hand. "You said you had some information for me?"

"Yeah." Bobby's face grew more somber as he wiped his hands on his apron. "I got wind that another big shipment is supposed to be arriving in the harbor early tomorrow morning. There's a rumor that it's supposed to be even more valuable than the last one with the diamonds."

Lois's interest piqued. "Do you know what's on the ship?"

Bobby shook his head. "No, just that it's valuable. And illegal. I thought you'd want to know, Clark."

"I do. I'm glad you contacted me to tell me."

Bobby's solemn expression quickly turned into a jovial grin. "Yeah, well, I'm in the information business. And because you helped me land this great gig," he gestured at the kitchen behind him, "I'm not even going to charge you for this one. They feed me enough to keep me satisfied for years. Consider it a thank you."

Clark laughed. "Sounds like a fair trade."

Bobby headed back to work, sending Lois and Clark with a large Styrofoam container of take-out he'd prepared for them. Lois leaned down to smell the delicious aroma emanating from the container as they left the restaurant.

"This is a switch, Bobby feeding *you*," she said with a laugh. "I can't wait to get back to your apartment and eat it. I'm starving."

They started off down the sidewalk, each lost in their thoughts. Finally Lois spoke again. "What do you think is in that shipment?"

He sighed and shook his head. "I don't know, but I'm going to call Henderson when we get home. He's the police detective I've worked a lot with in the past. I think this is big enough to get the police and Customs involved in, especially if the goods are illegal, as Bobby heard."

"But we're going to be there, too, right?" Lois asked, her eyes eager and pleading.

Clark chuckled as she slipped his arm through hers. "Of course. I know wild horses couldn't keep you away. The least I can do is make sure you don't go getting yourself in trouble." He winked. "But to tell you the truth, I wouldn't miss it, either. It's a good story, and we've got the jump on it. Perry will be thrilled."

~*~*~*~*~

Lois didn't sleep well that night, even with Clark in bed beside her. She was too excited about what they might find the next day on that inbound boat.

Dawn found her up and getting dressed, and Clark chuckled as she moved about the apartment getting ready.

"I wish you'd burn off that nervous energy more quickly," Clark teased as he got out of bed, running a hand through his sleep rumpled hair. "You're going to wear a hole in my floor with all that pacing."

Lois rolled her eyes and waved her arms impatiently at Clark in a hurry up motion. "Come on, Clark, I *know* you can get up and going faster than that! We've got to go! I want to beat out any other reporters who might have gotten wind of this."

Clark laughed. "Are you always like this on your way to a potentially big story?"

She nodded quickly. "Always. My first rule of journalism is 'never let anyone beat me to a story.'"

"I see." Clark was still smiling as he crossed the room toward her. But then his face grew thoughtful as he watched her dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt. "I've been thinking, maybe I ought to go to the harbor as Superman. If I do, I'll be able to offer any kind of help the law enforcement may need."

Lois nodded as she slipped on her sock and then her shoe, her fingers fumbling with the laces. "Not a bad idea. Should I just call a cab and meet you over there?"

He thought for a minute, then nodded. "Are you sure you'll be alright on your own?"

"Clark," Lois protested, rolling her eyes. "I'm a big girl. I can manage to take a cab and get myself to the harbor."

After a moment of consideration, he realized she was right. "Okay, but be careful." He spun into the Suit, then walked over to kiss her. "I'll see you there." Then, with a burst of wind, he was gone.

Lois smiled at his dramatic departure. One thing was for sure. Life with Clark was never dull.

The first rays of sunlight were just touching the skyline as Lois's cab arrived at the harbor. In the distance she could see a boat moving into the dock, surrounded by a police escort of coast guard boats. But she was relieved to see that there didn't seem to be any other only media people there.

Clark--dressed in the famous Suit and cape--spotted her getting out of the cab and came toward her. "Looks like Henderson came through," he said, nodding at the police near the dock. "His men are here, and I'm sure there are Customs officials on those escort boats."

"And you said Henderson would let us have the exclusive in trade for the tip, right?" She looked at him nervously as they strode quickly toward the docks.

"Yeah, and he's as good as his word. Don't worry."

Lois and Clark reached the docks just as a tall, dark-haired man in a tan suite moved forward to meet them.

"Superman! I wasn't expecting to see you here."

Clark straightened up beside her and crossed his arms in the now-famous superhero pose. "Clark Kent told me there might be trouble. He was a little delayed, but said to tell you he was on his way. Also, this is Lois Lane, a colleague of his. He and Lois are working together on this story, and he was hoping she could fill in for him until he arrives."

Detective Henderson nodded, and Lois gestured at the boat being docked. "So have you learned anything yet?"

Henderson shook his head. "Not yet. Customs boarded her when they intercepted her a ways out this morning, but so far they haven't found anything."

"Do they have any idea what they're looking for?" Lois asked.

"No, we're just working off the tip Clark gave us. We pulled the shipping manifests, and they look clean. Nothing suspicious. It was inbound from Africa, but made a couple of stops before its final arrival here."

"Just because the manifests appear above board doesn't mean the entire shipment is." Lois frowned and put her hands on her hips as she studied the large freighter.

Henderson nodded in agreement. "I'll keep you posted," he told Lois, then glanced at Superman. "I'd love it if you could hang around for a while in case we need you."

Superman nodded. "No problem."

The detective moved toward the boat with several other officers, and Lois waited anxiously with Clark as they performed their search. It was almost an hour later when Henderson came back down the ramp, talking with two other officers.

Lois and Clark, still dressed as Superman, hurried over to him. "What did you find?"

Henderson frowned and shook his head. "Not a thing. Our search has turned up nothing but legitimate goods, all with proper documentation. I think this raid was a bust."

Lois's eyes widened in shock, and she turned to see that Clark looked just as surprised as she. Henderson moved off to talk with the Customs officials, and Clark looked at Lois sheepishly.

"Looks like Bobby got some bad information."

Lois shook her head as she turned to study the boat. "I don't believe it. Has Bobby ever been wrong before?"

Clark thought for a moment. Finally, he admitted, "No, I don't think so. Not that I can remember, anyway."

"Then why would he be wrong this time?"

Recognizing the stubborn look in her eyes, Clark put a sympathetic hand on her arm. "I know how frustrating it is to have a big story like this fall into your lap and have nothing come of it, but there's always the possibility of a tip being wrong."

A steely look of determination come into Lois's eyes and set her jaw. "No. I refuse to believe that. There's something to this shipment; I just know it."

With determined steps, Lois started off toward the deserted docking ramp. Clark quickly reached for her arm.

"Lois, what are you doing?"

She looked down at the hand on her arm, then back up at his face. "I'm going to find out what's on that boat."

Clark glanced around to see that the members of law enforcement were a distance from them, but he still lowered his voice to a whisper and leaned toward her. "Lois, Henderson promised us the exclusive, not to join his team of men boarding the boat."

Lois cocked an eyebrow at him. "See? That's your problem. You think there's a difference. By offering us the exclusive, I indeed think it means he's offering us a look around." She pulled her arm from his grasp and inclined her head toward the boat. "Are you coming or not?"

Without waiting for an answer, she hurried toward the now deserted shipping ramp protruding out from the side of the boat. Clark rolled his eyes in frustration.

"Lo-is," he staged whispered. "Okay, okay. Wait for me."

He caught up with her just as she entered the boat, glad their entrance had gone unnoticed--at least for the time being.

He followed Lois as she made her way through the under deck storage spaces, checking out everything as she went. Many of the boxes had been opened, their contents verified. Clark took advantage of his vision abilities to look into some of the boxes buried back along the walls, making sure nothing had been missed by the Customs inspection.

He heard Lois sigh as she gave the open crates a cursory glance and then moved on, realizing there was nothing there to find. They continued on down to the lower deck, and Lois once again scanned every nook and cranny. Still nothing.

She turned and glared at Clark as he leaned back against the doorway, merely watching her continue her futile search. "Don't just stand there, Clark. Can't you at least use your vision...gizmo and help me check out all these crates?"

"Vision gizmo?" He lifted his eyebrows and grinned at the name she'd given his powers. But when she frowned at him, he merely shrugged. "I have, Lois. There's nothing illegal in any of these crates or in any of the compartments. Face it, Lois. We've been directed to the wrong boat."

She put her hands on her hips stubbornly and glanced around once more. Clark rolled his eyes and reached for her. "Come on, Lois. If the police find us back down here, I'm going to get it from Henderson."

He tried to lead her away, but she tossed his arm away and stomped her foot. "Clark, don't you dare tell me this is a goose chase! I didn't come all this way to--"

Just then she paused, her ears straining. Clark recognized the look. "What?" he asked, tuning in his sensitive hearing to try to discover what had caught her attention.

She glanced slowly around the room, then looked back at him, her eyes wide. "Did you hear that?"

He frowned. "I didn't hear anything. And that's saying a lot."

She looked down at her feet, then stomped again. This time Clark heard it, too. A faint echoing sound reverberated from beneath them.

They both looked at each other for a moment. Then Clark glanced down at the floor and concentrated. And that's when he saw it. There was a secret storage compartment under this deck, and it was filled with crates. He didn't know why he didn't think to scan the floors for secret hiding places; he'd been so focused on looking into the creates and the various compartments on the boat he had missed this.

Looking rather smug, Lois glanced around the room and spotted the large stacks of crates containing the legal goods near the far corner. She marched over to them and reached for one.

Clark hurried over. "Lois, those are heavy. You're going to hurt yourself. What are you doing, anyway?" he asked, starting to lift the crates off the top of the pile.

Her eyes were sparkling with excitement. "If you were smuggling something in or out of the country, would you leave whatever it was in plain sight for Customs to find?"

"The diamonds that were confiscated last time were in plain sight," Clark pointed out.

She rolled her eyes. "Okay, but maybe the people behind that shipment finally got smart after losing all that money. My point is, if you knew somebody might be looking for something out of the ordinary, wouldn't you hide it?'

Clark nodded. "Yeah, I would."

Her voice lowered. "Maybe even in an old barn, inside a root cellar with the entrance covered by bales of hay?"

Clark's eyes lit up. Then a slow smile spread across his face. "You're brilliant. Did I ever tell you that you are brilliant?"

"Since a few hours ago?" She laughed. "Well, don't call me that yet. It's just a hunch--a hunch that hasn't been proven."

"Well, there's one way to find out." He quickly moved the rest of the crates, and when he did, Lois gasped with excitement. He followed her gaze and saw what she'd discovered. A large door in the floor of the deck. He had to fight off Lois in her attempts to rush the door.

"Lois, stop," he told her, holding up an arm to prevent her from going any closer. "There could be somebody armed down there."

She rolled her eyes, but stepped back and crossed her arms, waiting as he concentrated his gaze on the floor. She knew he was looking into the secret compartment. "Well?" she asked impatiently.

A few seconds later, he breathed a sigh of relief. "There's nobody down there, but there are dozens of crates. Let's go take a look."

With one swift movement, Clark lifted the heavy door by the iron ring drilled into the floor. It groaned and creaked in protest, but laid open a moment later.

Lois grabbed her penlight from her purse and rotated the head. A beam of light streamed forth, and she moved toward the hole in the floor.

A set of stairs beckoned her, and she barely acknowledged Clark's hand on her shoulder, urging her to wait for him, as they climbed down into the steps. Reaching the bottom, Lois shined her flashlight around at the crates around them.

"Eenie, meenie, minie, moe." Her flashlight fell on a box nearest to their right. "I guess we start here."

"Here, Lois, let me take a look," he offered, putting a hand on her shoulder. He concentrated on the box and scanned his contents. His face visibly paled as he did.

"What?" Lois demanded. "What do you see."

Clark shook his head. "You're not going to believe this."

Unable to stand the suspense, Lois reached for a nearby crowbar and started to pry the crate off the lid.

"Lois, I can do that a lot easier than you can. Why don't you let me do it?"

But Lois shook her head and continued to pry. "Forget it. If I don't get to break and enter at least one time each investigation, I consider the whole thing a bust."

Clark laughed and stepped back to let her keep at it. Finally she had the lid loose, and he helped her slide it off. She reached in and pushed aside the packing, her hands meeting with cold metal. She gasped. Uncovering the rest of the object, she stared down in shock at her discovery. The cold, harsh metal of an AK-47 lay just beneath the packing.

Lois stared at the sight for a long minute, too stunned to speak. When she managed to gather herself, she reached back into the crate for a piece of paper peeking out from beneath the packing. She frowned. "According to this, these guns are bound for Africa. They're for some terrorist group or someone staging a government coup, no doubt. But didn't this boat just *come* from Africa?"

Clark nodded. "But remember Henderson said this ship originated from Africa, but made a few stops before arriving here in Metropolis? Maybe someone shipped something from Africa in exchange for the goods, and the guns are now going down to them as repayment. The guns could have been picked up in one of the last couple of ports."

"Then the goods they'd been traded for could be long gone for now." Lois sounded slightly disappointed in spite of what they'd already found.

"I suppose it's possible." Clark shrugged as he stepped back to X-Ray the crate. He shook his head in dismay. The crate was filled with guns similar to this one. He turned his sights to the crates surrounding the one they'd just opened. One after another contained more guns, but his gaze paused at the set of crates along the far wall.

"Or maybe not," he announced.

Lois looked at him in confusion. "What?"

He strode over to the crates in question and set a hand on top of one. "I think I just found the payment."

Her eyes widening, she hurried over with her crowbar, and with practiced hands, pried the lid off the crate. She rummaged through the packing for a moment before her hands came in contact with a hard object. She lifted it carefully.

She gaped at the African painted wood tribal statue she held in her hands. She was no expert, but it looked extremely old, and was likely worth a small fortune.

Clark whistled. "It's from the Western African Mbete tribe. Probably worth several million dollars."

Lois's jaw dropped. "Several million? How do you know that?"

"I spent some time down in Africa and recognize this piece's origin. Artifacts similar to this have sold in European auctions for about that price." He shook his head incredulously.

Lois reached back into the crate and carefully began uncovering the objects. Clark did the same with the surrounding crates. A short time later, they had discovered what seemed to be a rather extensive collection of tribal art, consisting of African masks, statues, and jewelry.

When they finally stepped back to look upon their find, Lois shook her head. "I'm willing to bet this ship came from Africa with these artifacts, made a stop to pick up the guns at another port here along the coast, and then was stopping here to have the artwork and artifacts unloaded."

"And maybe the crew planned on unloading the legitimate goods above us today in plain sight of everybody, and even to throw off any Customs agents they encountered, then coming back tonight after everybody's gon

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~