Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm sure that she will, I just don't think she'd realized that people would feel so offended by it. Notifying her is about it ok, but one or two responses would have been enough for her to get the picture.
Selinde, this debate has been ongoing for months now. Ann knows perfectly well how people feel about this subject. It's been discussed, and we have to agree to disagree here. People have a right to their opinion, and even to express that. But forcing your opinion on to other is a whole other matter, as I feel is happening here. I'm pretty sure, seeing the reactions here, that I am not alone there.

I see no point in arguing about this.
Now that I heartely agree with! We all came here to have some fun and enjoy ourselves, let's all get back to that.

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Top Banana
Top Banana
Notifying her is about it ok, but one or two responses would have been enough for her to get the picture.
Yes, indeed! Once that had happened it became overkill, and therein lay the meanness.

Hopefully these mbs do truly respect the right to state an opinion. It may be that this issue has been dealt with over the last couple of years. (god, or whoever smile knows it has!) but just as it is ok for a writer to post a warning free fic, hopefully it is also okay for a reader to express her personal reaction.

Saskia, as Admin moderator of this forum, are you closing it now? That's maybe a good idea, but hopefully we can all agree that we each have a right to express an opinion; although, of course, over-the-topness (hyperbole!) and overkill is each another matter. (that is so grammatically incorrect !)

Love, Peace, and Tolerance. (I know, tacky deja vu, but still...

c. (who is grumpy after spending a day organizing income tax receipts - now there's a topic about which too much meanness is not even remotely possible.)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Notifying her is about it ok, but one or two responses would have been enough for her to get the picture.
You would think so, wouldn't you? But apparently not, as this is about the third or fourth time Ann has started this type of topic.

We're all perfectly happy for Ann to have whatever opinion she likes. But she needs to realize that once *she* has said it once or twice, that might be enough for the rest of us to get the picture, and that she should maybe not start up the discussion again.

And it was started in a particularly obnoxious way this time, too.

Some of us find our patience running thin.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Features Writer
Features Writer
Once that had happened it became overkill, and therein lay the meanness.
Carol, I was not trying to be mean, although I admit that I was perhaps not as tactful as I usually strive to be when posting. I truly don't think I stepped over the line with my comments, but if you and others think that, then I do apologize for offending you.

Ann is a grown woman. She feels very strongly about her beliefs and is not afraid to defend them. She seems to have the belief that there are any number of authors in this fandom who really want to kill Lois off. Fine, let her believe that - but don't expect me to change my mind and believe that too just because she says so. She has deliberately opened this topic line and then walked away from it - if she intends to say nothing more about it that's fine with me; I'm perfectly willing to be quiet now too.

Kathy

EDIT: I see that I have echoed some of Pam's post just above me, and I apologize for retreading old ground.

One good thing about this - at least I'm increasing my post count. Almost up to Features Writer!

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
To clarify a few things:

Perhaps it would have been better had Dave not moved Ann's apology to fanfic related and thus it would be seen as being more connected to Ann's initial post rather than leaving Ann's comment here isolated?
I moved the thread, not Dave. (So don't blame him if you're not happy about it.)

I moved it because it was clearly related to a fic on these boards, and thus, in no uncertain terms, belonged in Fic Related.

I almost moved this thread when I first saw it, since it seemed like it was probably fic related, but it wasn't clear. It depends on what you think it's mainly about. If something can fit either way, I leave it where the original poster decided to put it.

I considered it again when I moved the second thread, but I like moving established threads even less, since that means more people are expecting it to be here. It's also even less clear what the thread is actually about at this point.

So... I compromised by posting the link here. Probably should have done that earlier.

It wasn't done to intentionally weaken Ann's position or whatever.

quote: Have to say, having now read the other posts I'm dismayed by the meanness running through many of them.

I agree. I thought this was supposed to be a folcdom just having a gay ol' time talking/reading/writing/vidding/whatevering about L&C. I see no point in arguing about this.
It has gotten harsher than I would like, but I have to admit that Ann has pressed this issue past the point of most people's patience more than once.

Saskia, as Admin moderator of this forum, are you closing it now?
Saskia is neither a boards admin nor one of the moderators of this forum.

I am a forum mod, and I, for one, don't like to close a thread without very good reason. Things seem to be settling down here, and there's even room for them to move in a more positive direction.

That's maybe a good idea, but hopefully we can all agree that we each have a right to express an opinion
Exactly.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I moved the thread, not Dave.
Sorry, Paul. It's just that you guys look so alike. laugh I do sympathize with the dilemma you were facing, though. Also, my apologies to both Saskia and you for getting your status (stati?) mixed up.

I've tried so hard to avoid stating my opinion here, other than to observe that when I see so many people jumping on one person, I'm uncomfortable. Once a couple of people had posted, Ann got the message - her apology shows that. Posts excoriating her after that were gratuitous.

c.

Features Writer
Features Writer
I've chosen to delete my response.

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No problem, Carol. I wasn't offended or whatever (just in case that wasn't clear). Just wanted things to be straight.

As for the content of the majority of posts in this thread (including the first one), it seems to me that a good mantra for everyone would be "think before you post."

It's something to consider before you go adding your voice to a thread like this. I know how it feels to have seemingly everyone posting against you.

It's also something to consider before starting a thread so provocatively. Some would argue that, at this point, it's just as gratuitous. Not that that's an excuse to harangue her, but it does make the reaction more understandable.

As for Ann's apology... some would disagree (and have done so), but I'll leave it at that.

I don't want Ann to feel unwelcome. She's made some good contributions to the community. But this is an issue which has repeatedly been debated to the point where everyone involved got more than a little frustrated over it. As evidenced both by the tone of Ann's opening post here and the large-scale reaction it provoked.

In a situation like this, it's more important than ever to think before you post.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well said, Paul. smile

c.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I think this thread has come to a good ending. No more pulling one another's hair off, no more sledge hammers / axes / machine-guns involved goofy Just one last thing I feel I should say before leaving this thread and hopping off to the happier topics (FANFIC! VIDS! YAY clap ); I apologize if I offended/upset anyone in any way. From now on, I'll take Paul's advise and think before I post (and think about penguins.. confused :rolleyes: )

So, count to ten before hitting the "Add Reply" button.. wink

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard