Dearly beloved had gathered together to celebrate something momentous. Vows had been exchanged and love so evident had been affirmed. Two destinies had entwined themselves for a lifetime. For more than this lifetime, for all the lifetimes to come.

Lois and Clark were married.

Lois looked down at the ring on her finger that symbolized this incredible truth. She stole a glance at her beloved’s hand and saw the gleam of his ring and smiled at the sight. She still bore a disturbing mark of a mad-man’s so-called ownership on her back. This mark would someday soon be removed, but it would never fully be erased from her soul. A man had owned her. And she had suffered. But now – she was free, and in that freedom had made a choice of her own free will to belong with another man. A man who also belonged with her. The rings did not symbolize ownership. They symbolized choice. Freedom. Future.

He saw her smiling at him and gave her a dazzling smile back.

“Happy?” He smiled as he said it – knowing full well what the answer was.

“Deliriously so,” she sighed as she squeezed his hand. “Are you?”

“Absolutely.”

“Oh, Clark. We did it. We really did it.”

“You take a lot of credit for this – it came together beautifully and – no media circus at all.”

“My mother and her associates were all the souls of discretion.”

“For which I am ever grateful.”

“Do you think the press will be angry at being trumped?”

“Maybe. But as much as I recognize how bad an idea it is to offend the press,” he said with a mischievous grin, “I also know that this is what we both needed. What we both had to have. This moment to ourselves – for ourselves – without it being something grandiose and… ridiculous.”

She nodded, in full agreement. The press at large had no idea. Catherine would let loose the exclusive in a few days, but by then, they would have made their escape and wouldn’t have to deal for a few weeks.

Lois looked at the party in progress and marveled to herself. If someone had ever told her that one day both Inspector Henderson and Catherine Grant would be dear enough to her to be special guests at her wedding, she would have told them they were insane. Then again, it wasn't so long that she would have considered anyone who told her she and Clark would one day wed as a certifiable lunatic.

She looked over at her handsome husband. “Thanks for not giving up on me,” she whispered solemnly.

He was equally as solemn. “And the same here.”

“Lois – it was such a lovely service,” said Lana, intruding unintentionally in the private moment. She hugged Lois as one would a beloved sister. Which is what they really were now anyway. Lana stepped back and then gave Clark a hug. “I’m so happy for you both,” she said tearfully.

“Lana – we are so thrilled to have you share this with us,” said Lois also quite tearfully. Who cares about tears anyway. Let the mascara run. Nothing could mar this day.

“Hey! Who’s been making my wife cry?”

“Hi Rick,” said Lois and Clark in near perfect unison. They looked at each other momentarily and laughed.

“How was the honeymoon,” Lois asked, and then flushed pink just a little. “I mean - how was the vacation part of it?”

“It was wonderful. Bora Bora is quite the paradise,” sighed Lana dreamily. “Speaking of. Where are you two going?”

“Someplace that’s not here,” said Lois with a twinkle.

“Oh. Pooh. Secrets.”

“Lana. I’m sorry – I can’t risk it. I trust you – I trust you both. But for all you know – this place might have a bug or two – and then – “

“Actually – it doesn’t,” said Clark with a grin.

“Show off! How could I have forgotten. Did you guys know that I actually maneuvered Clark into coming over early on – before we were dating – to come look for hidden microphones… back in the Luthor days?”

“You didn’t maneuver, Lois – you said you were worried about the microphones and it was a legitimate worry!”

“Clark – I was definitely maneuvering you to come over. It’s okay. There’s no shame in being manipulated, you know. You know… I was worried about the bugs, but really – I was really eager to see you again.”

“You could have just said that – at any time at all during our acquaintance, and I’d have come over.”

She smiled at him. “I know. Forgive my neuroses, okay? I promise – I know now how much I mean to you.”

“That’s a relief. Considering we just got married!”

“Speaking of marriage – where are you two going – “

“Lois! Clark!” It was the booming voice of their favorite Mayor.

Lois smiled apologetically at Lana. “I’ll tell you later. I promise,” was her hurried whisper as Perry bore down on the happy couple.

And so it went on. Hearty congratulations. Tears. Fervent wishes of a good life together, and of course, countless queries as to where they would be going. Lois and Clark bore under the scrutiny and love of their friends with good humor. Lois even got a chance to turn their favorite mad scientist a bright shade of pink by giving him a very warm hug and kiss on the cheek. It was because of him, as well as several others at this gathering that her husband was alive and well – and she would never cease to overflow with gratitude.

Hours passed, and she felt weariness settle in. Weddings and parties were all well and good, but her feet were starting to hurt, as was her face from all the smiling. She wanted to get out of there. She wanted to escape with her new husband. She wanted to be alone with Clark.

Seeking him out unobtrusively, she stepped into the circle of a conversation he was involved with and put her hand on his arm.

<Sweetheart> She pushed the thought into his mind. <Let’s make our excuses and get out of here!>

He strove hard to hide his startled state. She rarely used this form of communication and he would never dare initiate it. Having been thus prodded, however, he sent back his response.

<Lead and I’ll follow, darling.>

And so, she did.

The party survived their absence, and continued well into the evening. Long after the wedded couple had taken to the skies.

Lois woke up groggily just as they were touching down. It took a moment for her to get her bearings, and then she chuckled softly.

“I fell asleep?”

“It was a long ride,” he said. “Well – at least it is with a passenger.”

“Sorry for slowing you down,” she said with a smile in her voice.

“It’s the journey that counts, right?” he said with equal humor. He set her on her feet.

She looked around.

“Please thank Bruce for his generosity. I think it’s wonderful that we get to spend our honeymoon on our own private island.”

“I’ll be sure to pass that on,” he said. “Hopefully someday soon you can tell him yourself.”

“I don’t know. I’ve written a scathing Batman article or two…”

“He feels he deserved every word.”

“No. He didn’t say that,” she winced.

“Lois, you were right. His vigilantism is borderline dangerous at times.”

“And yet you two are friends.”

“Odd. I guess. He knows if he ever needed to be stopped… and vice versa.”

“What?”

“I – uh - gave him some Kryptonite – just in case.”

“Clark. Are you sure that was wise?”

“I trust him, Lois. I really do. I did this before you and I were dating – otherwise I would have consulted with you. But he’s never acted in a way that’s made me regret my decision.”

“Clark – if you trust him, then I trust your judgment. I just hate the idea of someone having the means to kill you – right in their grasp.”

“After the clone incident I’m pretty sure that the Metropolis PD and S.T.A.R labs have a healthy supply tucked away. Just in case.”

“Oh Clark.”

“Lois. Is being here okay with you? I mean – really? We are really alone here – nobody but us. The place is well stocked and everything – but it really is a … sheer solitude.”

“It’s more than okay. I love this. I really do. “

“If you do change your mind – it’s really not a problem to – “

“I know. I know. I don’t feel trapped here, Clark. Really.” Her gaze was serious and intense as she said this.

“Good enough,” he said with deceptive mildness. “Look – why don’t we get settled and then I’ll make dinner.”

“I won’t argue! But we can do it together.”

“All right,” he said agreeably – but his expression belied his calm demeanor. Worry still lurked deep in his dark gaze.

“Clark,” she said gently, “I’m doing fine. Really.”

“I’m that obvious am I?”

“I love that you worry about me – but I’m fine.”

“It’s just that it’s been a long day. The wedding, the party afterwards – that was all really incredible… but also tiring – and – “

“Are you telling me you’re tired?”

“Not exactly.”

“You don’t need to worry about it. That nap I got was really what I needed. I’m fine now. But I’m starting to feel hungry – and a hungry Lois is a scary thing. You don’t want to see me when I’m really hungry.”

“Consider me warned,” he smiled at her.

The next hour passed in happy industriousness as they prepared their dinner.

“I’ll set the table,” he offered, not wanting her to do anything even remotely servant-like. “Do you want to open the wine?”

“Yeah – sure! And then – if you don’t mind – I want to … freshen up a bit.”

“Sure! No problem.”

“So… where…?”

“Oh… uh – through – here… “ He walked with her toward the bedroom. “Through – the… bedroom.”

She saw him flush a bit, and a surge of tenderness flooded through her. “Thanks,” she said quietly. “I won’t be long.”

“No hurry on my account,” he responded softly.

She disappeared into the depths of the room, and he turned away, refusing to indulge in the mild case of the nerves that he was having. Most of all, he was afraid she would have a bad reaction, and that he wouldn’t be able to do anything to help.

He was standing by the stereo system and setting up a play-list when he heard her come out.

“I’m done,” she said shyly.

He turned as he straightened and had to fight from keeping his jaw from dropping to the ground.

Lois was beautifully dressed in a very deep-dark-red floor length dress. She was absolutely stunning – like some mythical goddess who had decided to grace mortality with her presence. She had done something elaborate and beautiful with her hair, and she her skin gleamed. It was all he could do to keep his reaction under control.

“You… ah… you like?” Her voice was tentative and shy.

“My god, Lois. You are simply … the most gorgeous … “ he shook his head, and it was clear to her that his emotion and words were from the heart. “You are just so beautiful. I can’t even believe how gorgeous you are.”

She smiled broadly at his words. He felt his knees start to go weak.

“Look… uh… you’ve set the standard amazingly high. I need to try to meet you somewhat halfway here… we should do this right. Can you give me a few minutes? Dinner will be ready in about 15 – I promise to be done by then.”

“You’ve never kept me waiting,” she said with a smile. “I’ll be fine out here on my own.”

Ten minutes later he came out looking more devastatingly handsome than she had ever seen him. His shirt was a dark blue, and it complemented his coloring impeccably. His slacks were a dark charcoal color. The overall picture was staggering.

“Clark. I – I think you’ve set the standard even higher,” she gasped. “You look amazing.”

He smiled at her. “Glad you think so,” he murmured huskily.

“I just don’t get it,” she continued. “So many gorgeous, brilliant, amazing women in this world, and you could have had your pick. And you chose me? I really don’t … understand… how I got to be so incredibly lucky.”

“Lois – you are the most gorgeous brilliant and amazing woman I’ve ever met. I’m the one who can’t believe his luck.”

She grinned. “Well, then it’s good we both got lucky," she said, suddenly flushing at her choice of words.

“I couldn’t agree more,” he said, refusing to take up the unintended bait. “Are you ready for dinner?”

Soon they were seated across each other enjoying the fruits of their labor. They bantered gently and lovingly as they progressed through the meal.

As dinner drew to a close, however, Lois felt a tight band of worry start to grip her heart. It’s almost time. She only half heard what Clark was saying as she allowed her mind to start wandering to what was going to happen that night. Her eyes grazed over him - taking in his size and strength, worrisome reflections of his resemblance to Lord Kal began to invade her consciousness. Defiantly she fought those thoughts. This is Clark. I have nothing to fear from Clark.

He noticed she was distracted and immediately guessed the reason. Reaching across the table he gently gripped her hand.

“Lois – nothing really has to happen. Remember?”

“I know that. I really do. I trust you implicitly – I do.”

“Glad to hear it,” he said gently.

She looked at their clasped hands a few long moments, willing her dark thoughts to recede. Frustrated by her incipient case of the nerves, she stood up with an almost violent force and started to clear off the table. She reached over to take a plate when she felt his hand on her arm. She looked at him in surprise.

“I’ll do this, Lois,” he said, his voice quiet and gentle. “But how about you dance with me first?”

A shiver of desire and apprehension ran through her. Dancing before had been so wonderful, but now it felt like a prelude to something entirely different. Something she wasn’t yet sure she could handle. She bit her lower lip in an unconscious nervous habit as she lowered her eyes momentarily. Then she raised them back up to his, smiled at him and nodded shyly.

“I’d love that, Clark,” she said softly.

He gently pulled her close. He could feel the stiffness in her body that told him of the nervousness that she was trying to hide and trying to deny. Sighing inwardly he decided not to say anything to her about it. It was obvious she didn’t want him to know, and he didn’t want to cause her any undue distress.

He wrapped his arms around her as they began to move together to the slow music, and just enjoyed the sensation of holding her close. After a long while, he felt her relax somewhat, and breathed himself an inward sigh of relief.

“This is nice,” she said after a while.

“Yes, it is,” he agreed. “Thanks for saying ‘yes’”.

“To dancing?’

“Dating. Marrying. And yeah… dancing.”

“Oh, Clark…”

Despite her fears, Lois loved being this close to him. She loved the heat of his body against hers. She loved hearing his heartbeat and feeling him breathe. She loved his wonderful masculine scent and the feel of his arms around her.

They danced together slowly for a long while. Clark pulled back a little to look into her eyes –caught up in the sensual spell of the moment. He had every intention of taking things slowly, of not letting passion overtake him – but when he was this close to her – he couldn’t think straight.

“Lois,” he whispered , his voice deeper now with the feelings he was having.

She looked up at him with luminous eyes. She saw that his eyes had now darkened considerably, and she felt her nervousness come creeping back. Nervously she flicked her tongue over her bottom lip.

“Lois,” he groaned, entranced by the gesture. “Don’t do that… let … let me…”

He bent his head as he simultaneously tightened his hold around her. She waited breathlessly for him to kiss her and gasped when his lips brushed so gently on hers, his tongue flicking against her lower lip in deliberate imitation of her own nervous habit.

He lifted his head just a fraction to gauge her reaction. Comforted by what he saw in her gaze he lowered his head once more and kissed her again. In contrast with the initial tender and exploratory kiss, this kiss was more blatantly sensual. His tongue immediately thrust into her mouth and engaged hers in a gentle duel.

His arms tightened around her back as he pulled as close as he safely could, wanting to feel her body pressed against his. To his relief, she also tightened her arms which were wrapped around his neck.

One hungry kiss kept leading into another and both of them began to get lost in the haze of passion. He felt his senses swimming, and began to feel his higher mental functions start to shut down. He needed to regain control –he needed to be in control because tonight of all nights, a lack of control would very likely be threatening to her. This time there was no real safety net of knowing that they were waiting for their wedding night. This was their wedding night. Prompted by those thoughts, he broke off kissing her, and gently pushed them both apart a few inches.

“Clark?” Her voice was husky with desire and the look of bewildered sensuality in her eyes nearly made him crush her to him again. Control. I need to stay in control.

“God, Lois… I… I …”

“Don’t stop kissing me, Clark,” her voice was a whispered plea.

“I never want to stop kissing you… I want to make love to you,” he said, his voice rasping in his desire for her.

She felt a shiver of nervousness and excitement shoot through her at his words. Her eyes were gleaming with this heady mixture as she looked at him –unable to even vocalize a response.

“Lois… your choice. Always. I just was being honest,” he said with a rueful smile.

“Clark. I want to make love with you too. “

She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him insistently down to meet her in a hungry kiss. He groaned deep in his throat and pulled her closer, matching her hunger with his own.

She felt a thrill of excitement go through her at his movements and deepened the kiss.

After a long while, it was her turn to break off the kissing, and it took every ounce of his willpower not to pull her close when she did.

“Clark,” she gasped breathlessly. “Let’s take this to the bedroom.”

“Are… you sure?”

She paused, considering the question. And then, she laughed self-deprecatingly.

“I… I don’t know. Right now… it’s what I want. How’s that for honest?”

He caressed her face with his palm. “I love that you feel you can be that honest,” he said. “There’s no point at which you can’t put a stop to things. You know that- right?”

She nodded. “Mostly… I know that you really mean it when you say it.”

“However?”

“Well… passion can be overwhelming,” she said shyly.

“Tonight I’m on my best behavior, Lois,” he said steadily.

“Oh… well… don’t try to be too… good,” she said, deliberately trying to tease him. “That wouldn’t be any fun.”

He grinned at her. Her ability to be seductive in the face of her past trauma and her worries about the upcoming night was incredibly sexy. Yet one more thing about her that drives me wild. But not too wild. No. Not tonight… I hope…

She saw the darkening of his eyes as he looked at her, and she knew her words had hit the target perfectly.

Turning away, she took a few steps in the direction of the bedroom. She was feeling a lot of conflicting emotions, but she knew that she would have to take a lot of the initiative this night, and she didn’t want her fears to affect his ability to respond to her. She paused when she didn’t hear him take any steps. Turning slightly, she looked at him challengingly.

“Are you coming?”

He smiled again as he moved towards her. Her heart skipped a beat as she realized that she had successfully moved the proceedings onward. The bedroom. It was hard to imagine a more intimate setting than that. And tonight … this was the night. She forced herself to stand ground without showing any of the new set of nerves that was threatening to intrude into her more passionate feelings. She watched him approach with her heart in her throat.

He saw her conflict and sought to reassure her. He reached over and took one of her hands in his. He squeezed her hand very gently.

“Lead, and I’ll follow,” he said quietly.

Together they walked into the bedroom.

She looked around the semi-dark room, and she felt more tension fill her heart. Her bravado was fast deserting her.

“How about some light?” He moved away and turned the light on to make the room seem less menacing.

She winced a bit at the sudden light. He was quick to apologize.

She smiled gratefully over at him. “No – it’s okay,” she assured him. “Just… sudden brightness…” She trailed off as she looked around the room. It was immaculate and tastefully decorated. She hadn’t really let herself look around too much before when she was getting showered and dressed because she didn’t want to add to her nervousness.

Now, she couldn’t help but focus on the big bed in the room. She quickly glanced over at him, taking in the general shape of him, and a sudden sharp sense of familiarity shot through her. Right now, he looked more like him than he had in a long while. Her mind was playing tricks on her, spurred on by her already heightened sense of worry. She knew this logically – but logic didn’t always win out in situations like this.

“Do you want to … go back out there?” His voice was warm and friendly.

She closed her eyes in frustration. No. I will not let this feeling win.

She turned and took the few steps into his personal space. Her feet felt leaden, but she forced herself to move with forced casual grace. Once in his space, she wrapped her arms around his waist.

“Can you hold me? Please?”

“You never have to ask,” he said warmly, bringing his arms around her in a comforting hold.

She closed her eyes and inhaled his scent – the scent that uniquely identified him as Clark. Soon, under the soothing steady beating of his heart, she felt herself start to uncoil just a little bit. The band that had fitted itself around her lungs wouldn’t completely release her, but she was feeling a little bit less panic-stricken.

She stepped out of his embrace and looked up at him with a sheepish smile.

“Sorry,” she said awkwardly.

“There’s nothing to apologize for,” he said quietly.

“Kiss me?”

His lips claimed hers slowly and gently at first, gaining in intensity as the kiss went on. She parted her lips hesitantly under his, and his tongue slowly thrust into her mouth, engaging her tongue in a sensual yet careful duel.

He lifted his head, intending to gauge her reaction. Unwilling to lose the incipient thread of desire, she pulled him back down to her, and kissed him hard. Her tongue almost aggressively made it’s way into his mouth and she kissed him wildly trying to ignite a similar response in him.

Clark felt his emotions swirling wildly. Passion seemed to flare fiercely in his body and soul – more fiercely than it ever had before. The emotions and physical sensations were starting to carry him away, and he broke the kiss off before he lost himself completely.

It was his turn to step back. “I… I – need a little – breather,” he admitted carefully. He didn’t want to share his fears with her, but he didn’t like that he was feeling so much so soon.

She watched him for a long moment.

“You’re nervous aren’t you?”

He looked down, not wanting to meet her gaze. Then resolutely he returned her gaze, deciding that the truth was always the best choice.

“Yeah. A little.”

“I forgot that this is your first time,” she said with a smile. “Don’t worry,” she teased. “I’ll be gentle.”

He smiled dutifully at that but it didn’t reach his eyes. More was needed to soothe his worries.

“And you will be too,” she said softly, her eyes gazing intently into his.

Again he dropped his gaze, telling her that she had correctly identified what was worrying him.

“I… I mostly know that,” he said quietly.

“I completely know it. I… know it from past experience. And I know it – just by knowing you.”

He nodded awed by what she had said.

“You’re still worried,” she said, filling the silence.

“Just a very small amount,” he admitted. “Any more than that and I wouldn’t be able to take the chance…”

“I am sure,” she said. “I haven’t once worried about that, Clark. I know for a fact you won’t accidentally hurt me. Of course… I know you won’t do it on purpose either,” she added with a slight laugh.

“I’m… immensely relieved to hear that,” he said. “Not because… of what could happen - but just that you trust me like that. It means a lot.”

“I do trust you. Implicitly. I’m not afraid of you or what you will do. I’m afraid of … him. Intruding on us… taking your place… in my mind… and … wreaking all kinds of havoc. But… never you.”

He nodded slowly, not knowing how to offer up comfort. “Just tell me, okay? If you need to stop this at any time – it’s all right. Okay?”

She nodded.

Feeling more assured that she was relaxing a bit, he kissed her again. A slow and very seductive kiss which promised so much more. The sensual pressure of his lips on hers threatened to make her collapse. She tilted her head back and kissed him back hungrily.

His lips left hers, but this time it wan’t to take a break or check how she was doing. She gasped as she felt the heat of his lips as his mouth traveled down her jaw, down the long column of her neck. He licked her pulse point and she felt her knees weakening completely.

“Ah,” she gasped. “I – I’m going to fall down if you do that!”

“I’ll never let you fall,” he promised. His lips returned to her neck and she arched her head away from him to give him more access. His mouth returned to hers with renewed hunger and for a long while they were silent as they continued to kiss passionately. Clark ran restless hands over her back. He wanted to feel her gleaming skin, and although his brain kept trying to caution him to go slowly, his desire was winning out.

He began to toy with her zipper and felt her almost imperceptible stiffening. Too soon! He began to mentally castigate himself for being so impatient – and then he felt her unsteady fingers working on the buttons of his shirt. Her fingers were shaking slightly making it hard for her to unbutton a single button.

He lifted his head from hers and gently held her hands still. “We don’t have to –“

“I want to touch you,” she whispered.

Her words sent hot desire through his entire body. I need to stay in control. If she needs me to stop. God help me – what I can’t stop?

“I can – “ He let her go completely and stepped back, unbuttoning the first button on his shirt.

“No! I… I want to do it.” Her voice was almost frantic. He looked at her questioningly and she looked down. She was trembling slightly.

“He… uh… he… he used to… have this… deliberate way… of undressing… and… and… “

“Lois – I’m sorry,” he said hastily. “I - of course – you can do it…” He left off at unbuttoning his shirt, unwilling to upset her any further.

“It’s stupid,” she said flushing. “God - what a - what – how ridiculous!”

“Not ridiculous at all,” he insisted. “Please… Lois… you do it?” He gently took her hands and moved them back to his shirt. “Unless… and it’s okay – if you want to… wait – to take this off…”

She smiled up at him, brought back into the moment by his incredible concern for her.

“I very much want to take this off,” she said seductively. This time her fingers were more steady as she slowly unbuttoned each button, gazing up at him the entire time she did it. Impatiently she pushed the shirt down his arms so that it fell to the floor in a careless puddle. She looked at what she had just uncovered and was lost in the beauty of his form.

“My god,” she whispered. “I just want to… “ She reached out and traced the skin covering his chest. He made a sound of need in his throat as she did so, and she thrilled to it. It excited her beyond belief that he wanted her like this. She stepped in, wrapping her arms around his waist, and planted a kiss on his chest. She licked the spot where she had just kissed him, and his hands convulsively tightened where they had been carefully holding her arms.

She continued to do this careless torture to him. Kissing him, tracing his beautiful muscle definition, and nibbling at random. Each time she did so, she heard his breathing quicken and felt his hands briefly tighten and then release. She felt a surge of love. He was trying so hard to be in control. She would have to do something about that.

She tilted her head back and looked at him. “Want to help me out of this dress?” Without waiting for an answer, she turned to face the other direction.

His hand gently touched her back where her zipper was.

“Are you sure you’re okay with my doing this?” His voice was strained, but still filled with concern for her. “Are you sure you don’t want to do it yourself?”

“Please, Clark… help me get out of this thing.”

Needing no further encouragement, he gently moved the zipper down. She had stiffened very slightly as he did it, but he trusted her to put the brakes on if she needed to. With a newfound boldness, he pushed the sleeves of her dress off her shoulders so that it joined his shirt on the floor.

Suddenly feeling very uncertain – she turned to face him.

He tried very hard to keep his gaze on her eyes. He didn’t want her to feel like he was ogling her.

“So… do… do you… like?”

“Oh…god… I like… very much.”

“Take me to bed, Clark,” she whispered. “Kiss me so I can’t think straight.”

He pulled her close and kissed her deeply. Their tongues melded together sensually. He broke off the kiss, gasping a little in shock as he felt her hands on the waistband of his slacks. Her fingers were very sure of themselves as they made fast work of the fastenings.

“You are the most gorgeous man I have ever seen,” she whispered as she wrapped her arms around his waist, stepping intimately up against him. “Remember what I said to you the night of the Whites' party?”

Her words triggered an immediate reaction and he pushed away a little, not wanting to scare her. Her hands around him tightened and she refused to allow his withdrawal.

“Come on, Flyboy. Show me what you’ve got.”

She stepped away from him, and deliberately lay down in the bed, giving him a slightly challenging look, urging him – and daring him – to join her.

His eyes locking gaze with hers, he carefully climbed into bed next to her, feeling immeasureably awkward and foolish. She looked so fragile and perfect lying there in those impossibly sexy scraps of lace. He was half afraid to touch her – not wanting to break or mar her in any way.

She took pity on him, remembering that he had no real practical experience in this arena.

Despite the amazing night they had once spent together, she knew that this was difficult for him. She snuggled in close next to him, and arranged her body against his so that she was in his arms. He responded immediately, accommodating her so that they lay comfortably together.

“This is really nice,” she said after a long silence.

“Do you really mean that? If you’re having second thoughts or anything, I’d really want to know, Lois… you do know that there’s no point at which you can’t change your mind.”

She shifted slightly so she was facing him, leaning up on her elbow.

“Clark. Do you want to wait?”

“No. I just thought maybe you might be feeling more like this is getting too real.”

She lifted a hand to trace his face. “It is real. Very real. It’s been real for a long time. I’m… I don’t want to wait. I really want to make love with you.”

As she said those words, she felt a slight shiver of apprehension. The more they talked about it, the more she would worry about it. All she really wanted was for him to take her into his arms and kiss her senseless so she wouldn’t think – so she could just feel. She knew then that she’d be more than willing for them to come together if he would just make her feel.

She put her hand up to trace her lips. “You know that song by Elvis? A little less conversation…a little more… action?”

He caught the mix of teasing and apprehension in her voice, and he nodded.

He lifted his own hand to gently stroke the side of her face, and then he leaned in and kissed her. He kept it deliberately gentle - wanting to ease into the passion because they were now in an extremely compromising situation.

She was the one who urged the kiss to higher passion and before he knew it, his senses were swimming and he was wrapping arms around her and pulling her close up against him. His initial hesitancy was fast being replaced by a more urgent hunger, and she seemed right there with him as their tongues clashed wildly.

His hands began to move gently over her bare skin, and she gasped at the sensation. She began to feverishly explore him as well – delighting in the feel of his skin against her bare fingers.

Their lovemaking was passionate and loving.

Despite her worries...they had come together perfectly – made for each other in body as well as in spirit. There had been moments of apprehension for her – moments when she couldn’t help but remember how very much he resembled his doppelganger – but those moments were fleeting, and they were banished by his unflagging love and concern for her. He had sensed her worry and he had called out her name – ready to put an end to things – and that had brought her back into the moment, and she joyously had welcomed the consummation of their marriage.

[tbc]

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence