This is a story that has been rattling in my brain since I wrote Best Valentines Gift click HERE for the link if you haven't read it or want to read it again.

The Trust Has Gone
(or Best Valentines Gift Continued)
By RodStewFan

October 7th 1997

Lois and Clark step off the elevator and onto the newsroom floor. Clark did not look too pleased.

“I’m sorry okay.” Lois said also looking annoyed. She was 9 months pregnant and looking rather uncomfortable as she slowly walked to Clark’s desk. She had gone on maternity leave four weeks before her due date she was now nearly two weeks late.

“You’d think by now you’d know the difference between indigestion and labour pains.” Clark grumbled. This had been the third false alarm this week last night their anniversary celebrations were cut short when Lois thought she was having contractions but when they got to the hospital the doctor had told her that it was Braxton Hicks and that they would wear off. Lois was not happy.

“Oh I’m sorry it must be such an inconvenience to you.” She snapped. “I know how uncomfortable it must be carrying an extra 10 pounds around with you, having your insides squashed and kicked, oh no that’s me.”

“I’m sorry.” Clark said feeling like a complete heal. Lois had been excited about the baby when she had finished work six weeks ago he had teased her that he never thought he would see the day when Lois lane would rather pick out baby clothes than chase down a story.

Lois slowly lowered her self in the chair Clark went to help her.

“Get your hand’s off me!” She shrugged his hands off her shoulders. “This is all your fault Kent.” Jimmy came over with a huge grin.

“Another false alarm?” He said smiling but it soon faded when he caught Lois’ glare.

“Do you find my situation amusing?”

“Uh … I no sorry I just thought that this time it was it.”

“Well it’s not. Starting to think this baby is never going to come.”

“She’ll come sweetheart. You know what I think.” Lois looked at him and sighed. “I think that you’ve made such a great home for her over the last nine months she’s decided to stay put.”

“Aw.” She put a hand on his cheek. “listen to you making up crap for me.” Clark sighed and smiled.

“Well I’m here to help.”

“Oh god!” Lois moaned.

“What?”

“I have to pee.” She struggled up to get up. “You going to help me up?”

“Oh!” Clark helped her up and she walked towards the ladies room. Clark sighed.

“How long has it been now?” Jimmy asked as they watched her walk away.

“Almost two weeks. She’s looking more tired everyday. The doctors say that if the contractions don’t start by the end of the week they have to induce labour and Lois is worried about it.”

“What’s that then?”

“Oh they start the contractions for her by… You know I don’t think you want to know that.”

“I think you might be right. You’re looking tired yourself.” Jimmy said looking at Clark.

“I haven’t been getting much sleep, I daren’t fall in to a deep sleep in case Lois goes into labour and can’t wake me.” Clark looks up and sees Lois walking back towards them. “Oh shh here she comes.” Clark and Jimmy smile at her. “Everything okay honey?”

“Oh just great I love having my bladder used as squeeze toy.”

“Here honey, sit down.” Clark indicated the chair to her.

“No I’d rather just get home.” Just then Ralph Claremont sauntered over with his stupid smile.

“Hey Lane, still not dropped that kid yet.” He patted her stomach and both Jimmy and Clark winced.

“Do you like hospital food Claremont?”

“Huh?” He looked at her with his most dumb look on his face.

“Touch my stomach again and you’ll be in one.” Ralph looked at her and when he registered the anger in her glare he scuttered away. “Come on let’s go.” She turned to Clark.

“Bye Lois.” Jimmy said. “Good luck C.K.”

Later Lois was sat on the couch watching the T.V.

“Ooh.” She moaned and rubbed her stomach Just as Clark came threw the door with a large bowl of pasta and a glass of milk on a tray.

“Are you alright?” He asked concerned.

“Yeah just extremely uncomfortable.”

“Here I made you pasta.” He put the tray on her lap.

“Clark, I can’t eat all this.” She dug the fork in. “Aren’t you having any?”

“No I thought I’d better stay off pasta for a bit.” He looked at her and smiled. “You know what it does to me.”

“Yes.” She put her hand on her stomach and smiled back. “I can’t eat this. I’m going to bed.”

“It’s only seven thirty.”

“I’m tired we can’t all survive on two hours sleep.” She kissed his cheek. “Now help me up.” Clark helped her to stand “Oh you remembering we’re going to visit my parents tomorrow?”

“How could I forget!” Just then the phone rang Clark answered it. “Hello, Ellen.” Lois shock her head and mouthed ‘I’m asleep.’ Clark rolled his eyes. “yes she’s fine, well she’s asleep at the moment, I try but you know Lois,” Lois glared at him for that remark. “No nothing yet, I will, yes you’ll be the first to know.”

“Oh tell her my tits on fire.” Lois said Clark furrowed his brow at her crude remark.

“Yes we’ll be there, Ok see you tomorrow.” He hangs up the phone. “Your mother say you do too much and I’ve to make you take it easy.”

“Humph. I’m going to bed.” She went up the stairs but stopped when she realised he wasn’t following. “You coming?”

“I have been in bed before eight since I was eight.” He paused then grinned at her. “Well to sleep anyway.”

“Night.” She smiled and went up the stairs. Clark flicked threw the channels and landed on a movie channel.

“Lethal Weapon.” Clark said and began watching it.

Lois came down the stairs the next morning and found Clark asleep on (Well a foot above) the couch and the T.V. still on.

“Clark.” She said softly and brushed a stray curl off his face, “Clark!” She said louder.

“What? Wah.” He fell onto the couch then blinked and focused on her. “What’s wrong are you O.K.?”

“Yes why didn’t you come to bed?”

“Huh?” He looked around.

“Must’ve been a good sleep you only float when you’re in a deep sleep.”

“Uh there was a Mel Gibson marathon on I was going to come up when Lethal Weapon finished but err 2 and 3 followed.”

“Huh well you have five minutes to get your sexy butt in the shower.” She kissed him.

“OK.” He gets up and is gone in a blur. Lois goes into the kitchen and pours herself a bowl of muesli and a cup of de-caf and rubbed her stomach.

“Ooh.” She said then at down the table. Clark came down the stairs wearing a tan suit, and doing a blue tie with white flowers. Then poured himself a coffee.

“What time did you say we’d be there at?”

“I said ten. You ready?”

“Yep. Err are you not finishing that?”

“I can’t.” She sighed and scraped the content into the bin and put the bowl in the dishwasher. “Come on lets go.” They get in the Jeep and headed out of town to Lois’ parents.

Clark parked the jeep outside the large house Then went to help Lois out. They walked up the path and Lois rang the doorbell Ellen answered it.

“Have you still not had that baby yet?” Ellen said.

“Apparently not.” Lois said. “Can we come in?”

“Yes I thought we’d have brunch in the garden.” Lois and Clark followed Ellen out into the garden where the table was set and Sam was sitting.

“Hello princess, how are you?” Sam stood and kissed her cheek.

“Uh fed up.” Lois said Clark helped her to sit down.

“Oh well it can’t be too much longer.”

“I hope not.”

“Well shall we eat?” Ellen said.

“So have you decided on any names?” Sam asked.

“Well if she’s a girl we’ve decided on Kialey.” Lois said.

“What about a boy?”

“William.” Ellen said.

“Well actually…” Lois began.

“You promised your grandfather that if you ever had a boy you would name it after him.”

“What?” Clark said. “How come you never told me this?”

“Huh do we have to do this now?”

“Ellen we need some more rolls I’ll help you.” Sam said.

“There are plenty of rolls.” Ellen said.

“Then we’ll get some juice.” He took her arm and they went inside. Clark looked at Lois.

“How could you make a promise without talking to me first?”

“I’m sorry it was a bit difficult having not even met you. Look my grandfather made me, Lucy and my cousins promise that the first one of us to have a son we would name him after him.”

“And you agreed?”

“I was only 19 I never wanted children and had three older cousins I didn’t think it would matter.”

“So what happened?”

“They all had girls and fell for you.” She smiled.

“Well William’s a good name.”

“Huh err well that’s not all of it see my grand father’s name was William Albert Foster Findley.” Clark groaned. “I was thinking though we could get away without his middle names.”

“William Findley Kent yeah okay.” Lois sighed Clark got that look on his face.

“What is it?”

“Fire.”

“Go!”

“I’ll be as quick as I can.” He kissed her then ran out the front door just as Lucy walked in.

“Hi Clark, bye Clark.” She said. “Where’s he off to?”

“Err he got a call and had to go into work.” Lois said quickly. “Urgh god!”

“What, what you’re not in labour are you?”

“No I just have to pee.” She struggled up Lucy tried to help her.

“God you’re huge.”

“Thanks Lucy.” Lois walked inside and up the stairs to the bathroom.

“Where are Lois and Clark?” Ellen asked.

“Clark got a call into work and Lois had a call of nature.” She sat down and fixed herself a plate.

“Lois has been along time.” Ellen said just when Lois yelled.

“LUCY!”

“WHAT?!” Lucy yelled back.

“Stop shouting and go see what she wants.” Ellen told her.

“Tut fine.” Lucy went upstairs and knocked on the bathroom door. “What is it?”

“Come in.” She said Lucy went in and found Lois sitting on the floor taking deep breaths “Oh shit.”

“My waters broke.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll get mom.” She runs down the stairs. “Lois is labour.”

“What?”

“I’ll put it another way. Lois… is… in labour.”

“I’ll get some towels Sam go sit with her. Lucy call Clark.” Ellen said.

Sam went upstairs and knocked on the door.

“Lois pumpkin it’s daddy can I come?”

“Yeah.” She sobbed.

“You O.K.?”

“No I’m scared.”

“You’ll be fine woman have babies everyday.”

“That’s not what scares me?” She sniffed. “I’m not ready for this.”

“What do you mean you’ve been so excited about this baby?”

“I was but now we didn’t plan this baby and now it’s going to here and I just know I’m going to be a terrible mother I know nothing about babies I’ll end up screwing up and it’ll turn out like me.” She sobbed uncontrollably.

“Hey now come on you have turned out better than I ever hoped you couldn’t screw anything up because you refuse to fail at anything. This baby is lucky to have you as her mother. I’ve never told you but you make me very proud you stood up to me when you didn’t want to follow in my footsteps. You are my greatest success and had so little to do with that.” He said and tears ran down his face. “I love Lois.”

“I love you too daddy.” They hugged. “Clark’s going to miss his child being born he’ll never forgive himself.”

“No he won’t he’ll be here. Come on Let’s get you to the hospital.” He helped her up.

“Will you stay with me until Clark’s here?”

“Of Course I will.” They walked down the stairs and reach the bottom just as Clark walks in. He looks at her concerned.

“Where have been?” She snapped.

“I…” He didn’t know how to answer he wasn’t sure what she had told her parents. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m in labour.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes!”

“Well don’t just stand there Kent help her to the car I’ll drive.”

“We’re coming with you.” Ellen said Lucy notice Lois’ panic of being in pain and trapped in a car with their mother.

“Err mother why don’t we go in my car give Lois some space.”

“Oh yeah alright.”. Lois relaxes and mouths ‘Thank you.’ To Lucy and they get into the cars and head for the hospitals.

TBC…

Thanks for the love
Thanks for the guidance
Thanks for the TARTAN PRIDE HA!

Can't Stop Me Now - Rod Stewart - Time 2013