Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#200740 09/01/04 01:53 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I thought the curse just referred to the inherent hazards of the role. Once you play someone as iconic as Superman, everyone thinks of you as Superman. It's made worse by the fact that the studios prefer to cast unknowns for the part, so that the audience can more easily suspend disbelief. It'd be hard to see someone as Superman if you kept thinking about other roles he'd had.

So, Chris Reeve will always be Superman, and has never had another starring role.

George Reeves never had another starring role after the show ended, either.

Dean went from L&C to B movies to hosting Ripley's. It's not much, but it's better than the others managed.

So, that's the curse, as I understand it.

Not sure if it applies to Tom Welling, since he isn't Superman. (Interpret that as you will.)

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#200741 09/01/04 12:17 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Actually, Paul, Chris Reeves had several other major, and starring roles after his stint as Superman. None were terribly memorable, but that was more a function of the scripts than of the acting. In the few that I saw parts of he did fine.

The most memorable, I guess, would have been 'Somewhere in Time', but I know there were a few others. He'd pretty much kicked the Superman label and was primed to move on to more mature 'character' parts when he was injured.

Tank (who says that George Reeves 'suicide' is still a topic of debate)

#200742 09/01/04 02:04 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
So yesterday I heard that the actor who plays Jesus in "The Passion of the Christ" might play Superman. (Sorry, I'm not sure of his name)
--WD

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
#200743 09/01/04 03:50 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey Laura,

Is that show on PAX correct? I kid's parent searches for a cure for spinal injuries on the web and found it.

#200744 09/01/04 04:36 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I've never seen the show you are talking about, Kitty, so I really can't talk about this specific situation. I don't watch PAX at all. But I can assure you that there is currently no cure for spinal cord injury -- nothing to make a severed spinal cord regenerate, but there is a very large effort to find a way to help the nerves regenerate. I don't want to get too technical, but I can go into some ways if anyone is curious.

I am working with electrical stimulation of existing neurons below the injury site with electronic devices to elicit movement and sensation. You can find stuff on the internet about currently available devices, devices in clinical trial, and possibly the current research, but that isn't to say that what you read on the internet is correct.

In terms of medical research and development, the internet is a good tool for people to use to see the currently available treatments for their ailments, and to better understand what is wrong with them, but it should never be used as anything for diagnosis/treatment. (I really should practice what I preach, though -- says the girl who treated her own broken hand wink )

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#200745 09/02/04 01:43 AM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I thought you would know since you work in that field. The show is call "It's a mirracle".

The PAX show stated that it had to be taken within 24 hours of the accident or otherwise it would not work and it wasn't FDA approved. So, I figured it was an experimental proceedure. The father of the son had to rush to call the FDA in the middle of the night get it approved and get the medication from that far away lab and get it shipped to them all within 12 hours for his very young son. The website they mention was a essay paper that a college girl posted on the web after her boyfirend died of a spinal injury.

#200746 09/02/04 02:06 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Kitty, like I said, I don't watch the show -- nor do I watch anything else on the PAX network -- too many strong Christian undertones for me, but that's another story. Just the title 'It's a Miracle' seems a bit hokey to me.

Like I said, don't always believe what you see on television and what you read on the internet.

I believe that the person could have found a treatment on the internet, but there is no way he could have "called the FDA and got it approved immediately." FDA approval is a very long and tedious process starting with animal experiments, going to several phases of clinical trial, etc. So calling the FDA and demanding something be approced is impossible. What he could have done is found a hospital that was in clinical trial and made a deal for his son to be put on the trial.

Spinal cord injury is very complicated and there are several different ways for a person to damage their spinal cord, and in certain circumstances in the hospital things can be done to prevent the immune inflamitory response that cuts off the blood flow to areas below the spinal cord and damaged end organs.

Also, I work in treating people that are already injured -- restoring motion to people who already have an injury and a paralyzed -- like Christopher Reeve. His foundation, however, gives a lot of money to people working in spinal cord regeneration. I do know a lot about regeneration, but I don't work on it myself.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#200747 09/03/04 12:34 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
More casting news:

Mark Millar Confident Caviezel is Superman

Just to hammer home how confident I am as regards my source (pretty much as good as it gets), I will personally write a cheque to charity for 1000 dollars from my Wolverine royalties (Wolverine 20 and 21 out October 2004) if Jim Caviezel isn't cast as Superman on the day principal photography starts. Warners may have a couple of PR stunts planned prior to the final announcement, but this is a bet that Jim C is standing there in a Superman costume once the cameras start rolling.
And because I mentioned it in another thread.. ;-)

World\'s Finest Superman Auditions for WB

SHH! just learned that World's Finest actor Michael O'Hearn had an audition for the new Superman film. Below is a brief description in Mike's own words of what happened...

I went in on Tuesday at 2:45 at Warner Bros. and met with the casting director. They put me on tape, then last night I got a phone call from my manager who stated he talked to the casting director, and their response was they loved my reading, and they are sending me onto the next level. I hope the fans are on my side. Just to give you an update - all the people at Warner Bros. loved my size. They were all screaming out "Now that's a jacked up Superman!" The other 2 guys that were reading besides me, were both about 5'10" and 160 lbs. I think they are looking for somebody taller, because the first thing they asked me when they put me on camera was how tall I was. 6'3" - the same size as Superman.

We all wish Mike luck and look forward to more updates on the casting process of Superman. World's Finest can be viewed here.

It would seem that Warner's is still actively looking for their Superman, and that the rumors of Jim Caviezel being cast are still up in the air.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#200748 09/03/04 05:01 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, I wasn't supposed to say anything but I've actually been cast as Superman for the new movie.

The studio decided to go a different way. Rather than a young handsome stud for the role they decided an out of shape crotchety old man would better fit the 'new concept' they are envisioning. I can't go into details of the new script, but don't expect any shirtless shots in this one.

Tank (who says the only sticking point he is having is his insistance of 'right of first refusal' on the actress playing Lois)

#200749 09/20/04 09:53 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Margaret Thatcher perhaps? evil The mind boggles

"Certainty of Death. Little chance of success.... What are we waiting for?"

Gimli - Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard