Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Merriwether
Merriwether
I think of the song as bittersweet, rather than sad.

That said, it does tend to make me cry.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, yes, there is an element of sadness to the song, but it is also an expression of love. That seems to fit very well with Hazel's story. The song is sung by the father as he reminisces on how fast his children have grown up and his life is winding down. He misses his youth and the boisterousness of his young children. But his children have grown up to be fine people and he is happy. He and Martha and Jonathan are in their "sunset years" but still enjoying their day.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Jose, Paul, and Artemis, thanks for chiming in with some more FDK! smile

This discussion regarding the song from Fiddler on the Roof has certainly amused me. Has anyone here read Up the Down Staircase? It was long enough ago for me that I don't remember all the names, but there was a reference to a woman applying for a teacher's certificate who was rejected because the committee didn't approve of her interpretation of something written by an author -- Edna Millay, or something. Ever after the author herself wrote to the committee and assured them that the woman's interpretation was correct, they still refused to accept it, although they stopped using still-living authors for their literary interpretations after that. goofy

If you'll believe this still-living author, wink I can honestly say that the story wasn't influenced or inspired by the song Sunrise, Sunset at all. I haven't heard it since I was about ten, and the only words that I actually remembered were... well, "Sunrise, Sunset." laugh The tune stuck more than the words, although the feeling behind the words probably lingered. But then, at the age of ten, what did I know about nostalgia and the passage of time? huh I didn't actually go and look up the lyrics until after this discussion started.

I guess it comes down to this: once I'd titled the fic, the song struck me as having possible echoes; but any echoes an individual reader finds are probably going to come from their own head.

But a story that inspires echoes or contemplation is a good thing, right? wink

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Just when you think you've escaped your subconscious, it pokes its nose above the water. smile
And I do remember Up the Down Staircase:) What sticks in my mind is the English teacher who receives a love letter from one of his students and returns it bak to her with the punctuation and grammar corrected.
Interpretation is everything!

Anyway - wonderful vignette, Hazel - definitely a good thing. smile

c

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
To be honest, I'm not particularly fond of stories without dialogue/action, that focus so much on a character's ideas and describing the environment.

Yet, this story was wonderful. Very well-written and with an excellent choice of words. I'm afraid I didn't enjoy it as much as others would - but be sure, Hazel, that it was not because I thought your story was bad. Quite the opposite. And, of course, it definitely deserved the high score it received on the Merriweathers!

(I believe that you won't misunderstand me and that I haven't hurt Hazel's feelings or annoyed someone. I just like to say what I really believe.)

Anyway. See y' all.
Hazel, keep writing! thumbsup
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard