Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19993 03/17/05 03:40 AM
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I was wondering whether Alysse Smith was a nom de plume<g> "Smith" is a nice touch laugh

The story is beautiful, Hazel - so reflective, a tribute to two people who are different in so many ways, and yet have achieved that quiet symbiosis that some couples achieve. So very Martha:)

btw, I'm hearing this song in my head - Sunrise... sunset - do you know it?

c

G
Columnist
Columnist
G
What a lovely vignette, Hazel.

The contrast between the morning and the evening, and the daily life on the farm was a strong one.

I could picture Jonathan taking a moment to look at the sunrise, a moment of private prayer, appreciating something far greater than the hauling and mucking around him on the farm.

In the same way, I could picture Martha taking a moment in the evening and, as her day wound down, saying her private prayer for the end of the day.

But most importantly, at times, the two shared their moments with each other. Isn't that what it's all about?

BTW, I had no problem figuring out who the characters were.

Thanks for that special moment,
gerry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"Sunrise, sunset, swiftly go the days." IIRC it's from "Fiddler on the Roof". Less famous than "If I were a Rich Man."
Yeah, being more of Martha's age than Lois', I really enjoyed the vignette. And in the desert we get really nice sunrises and sunsets.
I too am a sunset person.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
Top Banana
What a lovely picture you've painted, Hazel. I love the contrast between Jonathan and Martha in that they each love sunrise and sunset respectively - different but together creating a whole. And your descriptions evoke such a strong image in my mind - the stillness of the farm at sunrise and Martha stopping her evening routine to catch the sunset. There's such a sense of solidity and assurance in the routine of two people who've spent a lifetime together.

Very nice vignette. Bravo. clap

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, Hazel!

Absolutely ditto Gerry and Lynn. This is a beautiful piece, with wonderful imagery making me reel with envy. wink I can just picture Martha going about her routine tasks, thinking of the man she loves with fond affection in her heart. I was in awe throughout at your use of language to paint a picture, but I think this para shows it most clearly:

Nightfall advances and retreats as the seasons turn, so the timing is always a little different. Sometimes I’ll nudge a bubbling pot away from the fire; at other times, I’ll turn away from the splash and clatter of washing dishes. But no matter what I’m doing, I’ll set it aside for long enough to step towards the window – or onto the porch, in warmer weather – and experience my own moment of communion with the sun as it gives its final curtsey at the edge of the world.
Wow. I'm with the judge who picked out that final sentence! (I read your Merriwether scorecard before posting this).

Now, I had no difficulty at all in working out that this is Martha thinking about Jonathan. And I think it would have spoiled the effect if you'd ever spelt that out for the reader. But, in my opinion, that doesn't make this vignette 'vague' in any way. Using names would, I think, patronise the reader, suggest that we weren't capable of working it out for ourselves. So don't be tempted to change that based on the Merriwether feedback! Go with the judge who liked it just as it is. smile

Oh, and congrats on the Honourable Mention. goofy Couldn't find any! huh There's only one typo that I could see:

No, I think I’ll set aside the philosophical analyses aside
One use of 'aside' needs to come out. wink But nothing at all that I could see wrong with your punctuation. I wonder if you might have had a transmission glitch like Lynn did?

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Columnist
Columnist
I'm in awe of your way with words, Hazel. Your writing is very spiritual - it resonates deep inside me.

Not my usual compliments but heartfelt.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Beautiful Hazel. One question, though. <puzzled> I got that it was Jonathan and Martha, but I don't get the whole pot-over-the-fire bit. I don't remember seeing any pothooks in the Kent farmhouse....

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Top Banana
Top Banana
...but I don't get the whole pot-over-the-fire bit. I don't remember seeing any pothooks in the Kent farmhouse....
I interpreted that to mean that sometimes Martha would remove a pan from the burner on the stove where she was cooking. I just assumed that Hazel had a slightly different way of phrasing it to show that Martha would stop her chore of cooking to watch the sunset.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Top Banana
Top Banana
Love the song, loved the story. smile As others have already said, your use of language is beautiful, Hazel. Lovely imagery, with bone-deep, spiritual feelings conveyed in a deceptively simple manner - yet so effective.

Thank you for this insight into Martha's love for her husband and the powerful ties that bind them together. smile

Yvonne

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And it probably makes more sense if you envision them having a gas stove -- there's actual fire involved, in those smile

Hazel, this was lovely. Given that it's L&C fandom, I figured this'd have to be Martha & Jonathan, but I wouldn't have minded a few more subtle clues. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, Artemis, for placing the song for me - that's the one. smile

There's a lovely rhythm to Hazel's prose and by the end of reading it, I could hear the echo of the song. smile (which Hazel has probably never heard and I'm imagining the whole thing. laugh )

c

Merriwether
Merriwether
I will bet money that Hazel has heard the song. goofy

The song is a favorite of mine, and this vignette certainly does capture its rhythm and poetry. Just lovely. clap

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Hazel

WOW! This is beautifully written. smile1
Congratulations on your Honourable Mention!

Tricia cool

Columnist
Columnist
It was beautiful Hazel hail

I loved it

Karla

Top Banana
Top Banana
Rich, gorgeous, and amazing.

I feel tongue-tied trying to comment on it.

I'm so glad you posted this. It is unlike any L&C fic I've read before- and I say that in the most complimentary of ways.

Truly original and poetic.

These remarks don't do it justice!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Hazel,

I'm late as usual with my comments, but not short on praise. smile

This was a lovely story told with such picturesque artistry. Thank you for sharing.

Yours Jenni

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! blush

I'm really touched that so many of you enjoyed this exploration into Martha's and Jonathan's outlooks on life.

Carol, Artemis, Rivka: Yes, I have heard the song "Sunrise, Sunset." I didn't have it in mind when I started writing, but once I'd chosen the title, I couldn't get it out of my head; it was a bit alarming to see how well it fitted! laugh So, Carol, if the song echoed in your head afterward, I don't think I mind too much. smile

But most importantly, at times, the two shared their moments with each other. Isn't that what it's all about?
Yes, Gerry, I'd say it is. smile

Regarding the subtlety, or vagueness, however you prefer it: I was actually surprised that there was anyone who did *not* realize it was Martha and Jonathan. Aside from the references to farmwork and Martha's incessant projects, there was this:
Perhaps in that time before one such star came down to bless us with the greatest gift of our lives, sunrise and sunset meant something different, something wistful and unhappy. It’s been nearly thirty years, after all, and it’s hard to psychoanalyze across the decades.
That is a very specific reference to M&J's childlessness before they found Clark, and it also specifically sets it at the time of the show. As Wendy observes, there's no need to patronize the reader and spell everything out, is there? I think that's a matter of personal choice, and I wouldn't change it just because two of the Merriweather judges couldn't figure it out. I *am* a bit confused about the Nightfall reference... dizzy

Nominate for a Kerth? In WAFFy? eek Don't you think the world might come to an end? wink

"A pot on the fire" is a very common reference to something cooking on the stove, LauraBF. I grew up with an electric stove, and my mother used the term constantly. Gas stoves are even more obvious, of course, as Pam points out.

All of you gave me such lovely compliments! Your imagery, I think, is better than mine. smile

So... Carol, Gerry, Artemis, Lynn, Wendy, Irene, LauraBF, Yvonne, Pam, Rivka, Tricia, Karla, CC, Jenni, and Emily -- thanks so much for your lovely FDK. You really made my day!

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yes, I have heard the song "Sunrise, Sunset." I didn't have it in mind when I started writing, but once I'd chosen the title, I couldn't get it out of my head,
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Hazel. smile

and thank-you for the beauty of your story - just reread it. smile

c

Kerth
Kerth
Lovely smile

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry I'm "late," Hazel. I'm seriously behind in my reading. I just wanted to drop by and say... well, actually, I think Gerry, Lynn, and the others have said everything I wanted to say, and better than I would have, too. So, mostly, this is just a "me too" post. Very beautiful. Great flow. Loved the imagery, and most of all, the feel of the story. It just carried me along.

Personally, I wasn't at all confused about who was speaking, but then, I'd seen the discussion before I read the story. I'd like to think it would have been clear, anyway. The narrator's voice had a very distinctively homey, motherly feel to it.

About the title... It immediately made me think of the song, and that personally made me a little wary. I've always thought of that song as fairly sad (actually, I have a memory of being told as a kid that it was a sad song). It is very apt, of course, dealing as it does with farm life and sunrise and sunset. It's just that the song has a different mood, I think. <shrug>

Anyway, lovely story. Thanks for sharing. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard