B
Bethy Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Guess what! Guess what!

I'm going to France!!!!!!

The French government has this program where they hire native speakers from around the world to come and be assistants in the schools. It allows the assistants an excuse and a visa to live in France for a school year, and it gives the kids a chance to hear native accents and get eyewitness accounts of culture, etc.

So, in mid-September, I'll be off to Europe!

I'm so excited, and also terrified -- I've never lived anywhere but home and school, so the first time I rent an apartment will be in a foreign language! Eek!

If you are interested, I'll keep you all posted on details as I find them out.

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#199894 05/18/04 08:24 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oooh, that's great, Bethy! smile smile smile Now, tell me, do you already know whereabouts you're gonna end up? Any chance it might be in the Centre West, huh? Huh? wink

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#199895 05/18/04 09:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's terrific news, Bethy!

Keep us posted, and in the meantime, if you need any help with the "foreign language" papers <g>, don't hesitate.

Carole smile1

PS: any chance you'll pay a visit to the Tour Eiffel?

#199896 05/19/04 02:07 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
That sounds like such fun!!!!!!!!! I really hope you have the time of your life. thumbsup

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#199897 05/19/04 03:00 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Congratulations, Bethy!!

How very very exciting. You will have such a great experience. And just think - once you've conquered the world while not even speaking the same language, everything else will be a piece of cake!

Yes - I do expect lots of updates. Both before, during and after.

Way to go!!!!
dance
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#199898 05/19/04 07:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, that's terrific, Bethy! smile Good luck with all the details, but I know you'll do great.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#199899 05/19/04 08:28 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Congrats, Bethy!!

party party

Good luck!

AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#199900 05/20/04 04:49 PM
B
Bethy Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Yes, Kae, I am going to the middle west part of the state -- are you psychic? /me looks at Kae suspiciously. I'm going to l'academie de Poitiers, but they won't tell me for a while exactly where *within* that I'll be. That's around where you are, right?

Carole -- well, since I have to translate my birth certificate into French (they want proof that I was born...I would've thought the fact that I'm here now would prove that :p ), I'll probably take you up on that offer of help. Wouldn't want to accidentally tell them I wasn't born or something like that.

And I've already been to the Tour Eiffel. Went up it once to say I did, but since I'm afraid of heights, I probably won't be going up again. But my parents are coming to visit in October so we'll definitely be hitting the sights then. And I'll have them to pay for it. <g>

Thanks everyone for sharing my excitement smile1 and I'll keep you posted as I find out more.

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#199901 05/22/04 10:14 AM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Oh, how fun!!! I went to Paris when I was a kid. It's a beautiful city.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#199902 05/23/04 06:20 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm going to l'academie de Poitiers, but they won't tell me for a while exactly where *within* that I'll be. That's around where you are, right?
Ooooooh!! You bet!! That's exactly where I am!! I work within the 'academie de Poitiers'. That means you can end up in one of the four counties around, so I really hope you end up in mine. Imagine that, if you had to work in a school in Chatellerault! That'd be way cool! smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#199903 05/23/04 11:21 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Congratulations, Bethy! smile1

Tricia cool

#199904 05/26/04 01:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bethy,

Sorry for the lateness in reply, but I just got back from abroad (<--- also known as 'Off Compy Land').

Carole -- well, since I have to translate my birth certificate into French (they want proof that I was born...I would've thought the fact that I'm here now would prove that ), I'll probably take you up on that offer of help. Wouldn't want to accidentally tell them I wasn't born or something like that.
No problem. If you need anything, just beep me! (er...email, I mean).

And I've already been to the Tour Eiffel. Went up it once to say I did, but since I'm afraid of heights, I probably won't be going up again.
Awww! Well, there are such a lot of things to do from the Tour Eiffel. grounded and really down to earth things, like the Bateaux Mouches, Museums, and...there's this tremendous french Salon de thé. They do macarons (typical french pastrie) that are to die for...but I'm disgressing.

Carole smile1

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard