Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#199215 02/06/04 06:45 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I have this really annoying glitch on my computer lately (as in the last couple of months), and it had just occured to me that it could be a result of spyware.

Everytime I start my computer, my IE home page resets itself to a search engine (www.nkvd.us or smart-finder.biz - which are the same one), no matter what it was before I turned it off. Also everytime I type in an address without the http:// part, instead of adding it on automatically like it should and did before, it just goes back to that search engine.

Any suggestions? This thing is really annoying and frustrating.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#199216 02/06/04 08:05 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
This helped me. I think the website is www.spybot.com. It got rid of 193 spy ware programs I had on my computer. If this doesn't work.......anyone else have any suggestion? This sort of stuff sucks. mad

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#199217 02/06/04 08:07 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
This is a techie problem. Maybe you'll get more of a response in the other folder. Who knows. Hmm...k maybe it won't. I'll be quiet now.

#199218 02/06/04 11:57 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Even if it doesn't solve this particular problem, Julie, I'd second Roo's recommendation for Spybot. I use it to sweep my pc after every visit to the net. It's simple to use and gets rid of most spyware junk you pick up while surfing.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#199219 02/07/04 01:24 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Julie, do a Google search for Ad-Aware and download it. It's free, and it's great for finding and deleting spyware. Once you've installed it and run it once, you just need to remember to run it every once in a while to keep yourself protected against spyware.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#199220 02/07/04 03:31 AM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I also use Ad-aware and highly recommend it. The latest version of Norton Anti-Virus does have some spyware protection, but it's minimal.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#199221 02/07/04 05:50 AM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, everyone!

I'll install one of those programs, now that I know my PC is not immune to them. smile Though I probably don't have to worry about this particular problem anymore because my dad just bought me a new hard disk (80 GB!!!!!) smile but I'm sure there will be others...

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?

(The X-Files)
#199222 02/08/04 01:26 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, I'd recommend using both Ad-aware and Spybot. Usually either one is sufficient, but every so often something slips past one and is nabbed by the other. If you are going to go with just one, I would choose Spybot. Its interface is a bit easier, IMO. And be sure to use the Immunize function after you Search & Destroy!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#199223 02/08/04 01:37 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I agree with Rivka. Sometimes spybot picks up things that adaware doesn't. My problem is that spybot always crashes and I can't even open it. It's really weird!

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#199224 02/08/04 05:37 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
the same thing happened to me with ad-aware. crashed every time i tried to scan. went to their tech support site, and it looked like a bunch of other people had had the same problem. no one knew why or how to fix it. someone did mention that if you have 2 spyware blockers on the same comp, they can cause conflicts with each other (happens with virus scanners, too). so that might be it in your case. or you might just have some setup or something that spybot is allergic to.

i guess the best thing to do is to just find one that works for you and stick with it. <shrug>

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#199225 02/09/04 01:23 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Interesting. I use Ad-Aware on my home PC and find it incredibly easy to use, both in terms of kicking off a scan and then dealing with the results. It was also very easy to set up. I just downloaded Spybot S&D on my work PC - found it complicated to set up, and the scan and results were much more time-consuming. Personally, I prefer Ad-Aware, though I'll keep SpyBot for the time being and see whether it grows on me. wink

But whichever program you prefer, I really do recommend that you do use spyware-checking tools regularly. I scanned my home computer twice recently, the occasions being a week apart: in that time, three more pieces of spyware had installed themselves on my PC. razz

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#199226 02/09/04 01:54 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I had exactly the opposite experience. Downloaded Ad Aware, just used it for the first time, found it absolutely infuriating and frustrating <G> and promptly uninstalled it. It conflicted with Spybot and tried to remove important component files from that program, so I couldn't run both.

I guess horses for courses really. Use whatever you feel comfortable with and which suits you. As Wendy says, the important point is to at least have something working for you.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#199227 02/09/04 11:31 AM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Just saying - seeing as how even though I got a new disk, I still have to live with this one for a week, I ran Ad Aware. It found 642 spyware programs!

jawdrop

Julie

(The X-Files)
#199228 02/10/04 10:30 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Arugh!

#199229 02/11/04 09:22 AM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Arugh is right.

It didn't really solve my problem though, even after I deleted about 50 homepage hijacking programs.

Julie

(The X-Files)
#199230 02/11/04 10:04 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Julie -

We have the exact same problem on our "upstairs" computer - same hyjacked page and everything. Sadly, we haven't yet figured out how to fix it, but the good thing is that it isn't our primary computer so it is easy to ignore. In fact, we are thinking to find a really cheap, refurbished computer to swap out that one since all we use it for is cruising the internet and word processing. Not that that is the way to get rid of this troublesome problem.

I think the makers of that site and whomever set up the hyjacking software should be shot in about 58 places. They are dispicable people.

If you figure it out, let me know and I'll do the same.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#199231 02/11/04 10:32 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Make sure you update the ad definitions for Ad-Aware (there's a nice little button on the main screen to do that), and then run the program again. When it finds the adware, remove EVERYTHING. There's nothing there that is needed by Windows. You can choose quarantine so it isn't exactly removed, just packaged up somewhere so it won't harm anything.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#199232 02/11/04 10:55 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I use Ad Aware and it's pretty good, but I also have a little 2KB DOS program called Privacy Protector that I got from the same site as Ad Aware. It's a marvellous little program that cleans off just about everything in the way of spyware. It's no longer available on the site where I got it, but if anyone wants it, I can send them the installation program (which I fortuitously saved). It only takes a few minutes to work, and it's very thorough. Its only drawbacks are that it only works on the C drive, and will not run on Windows XP because they've eliminated whatever DOS file it is that the program needs to run.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#199233 02/11/04 12:00 PM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
I administer 40 computers at work and have seen similar to this a few times.

This is what I have found about your spyware:

Variant 29: CWS.Smartfinder
Approx date first sighted: January 11, 2004
Log reference: http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=27673&hl=nkvd\.us
Symptoms: IE hijacked to nkvd.us and smart-finder.biz, redirections to nkvd.us and smart-finder.biz when typing incomplete URLs into address bar.
Cleverness: 10/10
Manual removal difficulty: Involves some registry editing, and renaming the trojan file, restarting, and deleting it
Identifying lines in HijackThis log:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://www.nkvd.us/s.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.nkvd.us/s.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.nkvd.us/s.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.nkvd.us/1507/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.nkvd.us/s.htm
O13 - DefaultPrefix: http://www.nkvd.us/1507/
O13 - WWW Prefix: http://www.nkvd.us/1507/
O13 - Home Prefix: http://www.nkvd.us/1507/
O13 - Mosaic Prefix: http://www.nkvd.us/1507/

Additional line in StartupList log:

Enumerating ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad items:

DDE Control Module: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mtwirl32.dll

This variant was surprisingly smart: it used two startup methods (ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad and SharedTaskScheduler) that have to be the absolutely rarely used ones seen ever - and it used them differently on Windows 9x/ME and Windows NT/2k/XP. On top of that, both methods ensure that the file is loaded when Explorer is loaded, making it always in memory like CWS.Msconfd. Additionally, the actual responsible files are invisible in HijackThis, and only one shows in a StartupList logfile (ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad). The responsible file is mtwirl32.dll, and to delete it manually you need to rename it (deleting is impossible since it is in use), restart the system, and then delete the file and its Registry key.

Looks like a difficult remove if done manually.

There is a removal tool called CWShredder which will probably work if you can find it (but the site has been hijacked). The site is experiencing lots of trouble because the makers of the spyware are trying to close the removal tool site down and block the site if you are infected. There is also a program called Hijack This which may work. I used both tools on a few previous versions of this spyware.

AmyN

#199234 02/11/04 12:25 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Amy, that's really useful! Just did a Google search and found this alternative site for downloading the removal tool:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4113.html

For anyone whose spyware won't let them load the site, here's a direct link to the tool:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadg...amp;evp=eec9dd0faeb35f8e3a31cf62d8910a77

Hope this gets rid of it for you, Julie!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard