Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I really enjoyed the alternate world. It was really interesting to see how different everything was from the world where our Lois and Clark lived. I also enjoyed the alternate Clark quite a bit. It was really sad that he was even more alone than our Clark had been before he met Lois. At least he still had Martha and Jonathan, whereas this Clark only seemed to have Lana.

Speaking of Lana, I actually like the way that she was portrayed on this show, even if it doesn’t match how she’s been portrayed in any of the comics I’ve read. Making Lana annoying and clearly all wrong for Clark only strengthens why Lois and Clark are made for each other. That’s the whole point of this show, so I think the way that Lana was portrayed worked perfectly.

It was also nice to see Tempus again. He’s really one of the best villains featured on the show. It’s no surprise that they kept bringing him back for more episodes despite the fact that he didn’t originate in the comics.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I just love Tempus! The actor played him with just the right blend of camp and seriousness. How can you not enjoy his lines: "I love irony!" and
"You're even a breakfast cereal!" and
"A Utopian execution - I know, I'll bore you to death!" and
"God, Herb, who writes your dialogue? You sound like the Prisoner of Zenda!" and
"But wait, somebody might try and stop me. Big, brawny, looks good in blue? Gee, if only I lived in a dimension with no Superman. Oh wait. I do!" and
"The only thing that could ruin this would be a commercial" as they fade into a commercial. And so many more. laugh

Of course, this episode also introduces the alt-Clark, who has had so many great fics written about him too. I know I can't do justice to all the great fics sparked by this episode. I'll just refer to a few of my favorites:

Hazel wrote The Mirror Crack\'d , which tells us what might have happened if Tempus took Lois to the alt-world before she knew Clark's secret.

C_A has a lyrical vignette from alt-Clark's POV about meeting the canon Lois: Until The Wind Changes .

I've always wondered what happened to alt-Clark after he was outed as Superman. Nan Smith's series on alt-Clark which starts with How I Spent My Christmas Vacation tells us some of what went on - her version, at least. Very readable, as are all of Nan's fics.

And there's Chris Carr's Some Kind Of Angel , which tells us what has happened to alt-Clark since canon Lois went home to her own dimension. It's been a hard life for alt-Clark, being outed as Superman, and it would be nice if he could find his own Lois.

Pam Jernigan explores that in her series which starts with My Interview With Superman , which continues through My Date With Lyn , My Television Debut , My Big Good-bye , and concludes with Our Little Dilemma . What if Lois tracked down Clark, instead?

I enjoyed Margaret Brignell's Only You series, which tells us about the life of alt-Clark and where alt-Lois has been hiding for all those years.

Speaking of Lois being tucked away, don't miss Rona V.'s vignette Tuesday . Sometimes you have to go home to find what you lost. Virginia R's epic Missing Lois has canon Lois going to the alt-dimension for safety and is notable for an excessive number of Loises. smile

The always-reliable ML Thompson has a fine trilogy: Without A Superman: Clark Kent\'s Quest , Without A Superman: Lois Lane\'s Quest , and Without A Superman: Superman\'s Quest . Universe-hopping galore, multiple versions of Lois and Clark - fun times!

A very chilling (at least initially) fic is L's Long Strange Trip , a saga of alt-Lois taken into yet another dimension where Kal-El is the evil lord of New Krypton who came and conquered Earth. He wants Lois and has no compunction about using his super-powers to take her. She is rescued from the alt-alt-dimension by HG Wells, and brought into the alt-dimension. But how can she love alt-Clark when he is the doppelganger of the evil alien who abused and tortured her? L tells us the story of their developing romance. There is also an nfic version. Well worth reading.

I apologize to the many authors not listed here who have written great alt-world fics or Tempus-related fics - as I said before, there are many, many excellent fics on this topic. Others feel free to post your favorites.

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Iolan, I appreciate these story lists you compile.

I agree with Lois_Lane_Fan about the way Lana is portrayed. Her way of dealing with Clark's powers is such a stark contrast to Lois's, and it really works in the context. Lana really gets a raw deal in most of the stories I've read, though. I didn't see her as the vindictive, evil, conniving beast that I see her portrayed as in fanfics. She seemed to be trying to make sure he was careful enough not to be caught using his powers. I'm sure his parents were similarly paranoid/careful.

Look at things from her perspective: Some woman throws herself on Lana's fiance and kisses him in public, then she gets herself partnered with him at work, then she gets him to create a superhero and fly around publicly using his powers. Not to mention finding the interloper at his apartment late into the evening. Lana and Clark were getting married. A decision like outing himself as an alien and devoting significant amounts of time to helping random people should have been made jointly. He should have discussed it with her and convinced her that it was the best course of action. Lana has ample reason to be furious with both Lois and Clark.

All things considered, Clark acts very irresponsibly and inconsiderately, but we sweep it under the rug because he belongs with Lois. It all works in the context of the episode, but realistically, Clark is throwing away a long-standing relationship for a woman he barely knows. There is the "but they're soul mates!" argument, but I've always hated the soul mates storyline. Having someone you're "destined" to be with or at least be in love with negates free will and just rubs me the wrong way. But I guess that rant would fit better in a thread for a different episode. smile

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
Iolan, I appreciate these story lists you compile.

I agree with Lois_Lane_Fan about the way Lana is portrayed. Her way of dealing with Clark's powers is such a stark contrast to Lois's, and it really works in the context. Lana really gets a raw deal in most of the stories I've read, though. I didn't see her as the vindictive, evil, conniving beast that I see her portrayed as in fanfics. She seemed to be trying to make sure he was careful enough not to be caught using his powers. I'm sure his parents were similarly paranoid/careful.

Look at things from her perspective: Some woman throws herself on Lana's fiance and kisses him in public, then she gets herself partnered with him at work, then she gets him to create a superhero and fly around publicly using his powers. Not to mention finding the interloper at his apartment late into the evening. Lana and Clark were getting married. A decision like outing himself as an alien and devoting significant amounts of time to helping random people should have been made jointly. He should have discussed it with her and convinced her that it was the best course of action. Lana has ample reason to be furious with both Lois and Clark.

All things considered, Clark acts very irresponsibly and inconsiderately, but we sweep it under the rug because he belongs with Lois. It all works in the context of the episode, but realistically, Clark is throwing away a long-standing relationship for a woman he barely knows. There is the "but they're soul mates!" argument, but I've always hated the soul mates storyline. Having someone you're "destined" to be with or at least be in love with negates free will and just rubs me the wrong way. But I guess that rant would fit better in a thread for a different episode. smile
I think the points you made here about Lana are right. I don’t think she and Clark made a very good pair, but I do think there’s room to feel a little bit of sympathy for Lana in this situation.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I might agree that Lana has some real gripes, but she is just so demanding and domineering that I have to go with the view that Clark was engaged to her because he felt oblidgated, not because he felt real feelings. Maybe I have read too much "Wrong Clark" and am putting things in not in the show, but her resistance to Clark using his powers at all seemed too much.

Their world needs a hero. Lana is holding him back from his destiny.

Also, while he probably should have talked with her about becoming the hero, I got the impression she was so totally opposed to it he had no chance. Also her ultimatum always seemd extreeme. If she had insisted they work out a way for him to use his powers together, with the option of not doing it much, that would have been one thing, but the total give up on Superman or else was a bit much.

Anyway, if she is so distrustful of Clark working with a woman as his work partner I don't see her as succeeding in the 1990s when such would be common.
While I don't buy the soul mates thing, I just can't see Lana as being in any way right for Clark. She denies his real destiny.

John Pack Lambert
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
I just love Tempus! The actor played him with just the right blend of camp and seriousness. How can you not enjoy his lines: "I love irony!" and
"You're even a breakfast cereal!" and
"A Utopian execution - I know, I'll bore you to death!" and
"God, Herb, who writes your dialogue? You sound like the Prisoner of Zenda!" and
"But wait, somebody might try and stop me. Big, brawny, looks good in blue? Gee, if only I lived in a dimension with no Superman. Oh wait. I do!" and
"The only thing that could ruin this would be a commercial" as they fade into a commercial. And so many more. laugh
I love the fact that Dean uses the same "Duh!" quote when talking about Clark's 'disguise'! Gotta love Tempus.

Also, I love alt-Clark. I'm so glad he realized that he and Lana would be miserable - or maybe I'm projecting. Sigh.

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard