Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
This one wasn’t quite as good as the episode that preceded it. I still liked it, but the addition of Dan Scardino, a character I never liked that much, as well as the fact that I feel like Lois and Clark’s relationship took a few steps backwards after making so much progress take it down a few points for me.

The addition of Scardino annoyed me. After taking the time to reflect on why that is, I think I finally figured out the reason. He was added at a time when Lois and Clark’s relationship was just moving into a more romantic direction. They’d just gone on their first date in the last episode, after all. I was never that annoyed by Mayson or Lex being used as romantic rivals to interfere with Lois and Clark’s relationship, but those characters where used for the most part at a time when Lois and Clark weren’t actually dating. Scardino just seemed to regress the storyline.

I will say that this episode scored a few points for me for purely superficial reasons. I’ve always loved the outfit Lois wore when she and Clark visit Big Buster Williams.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I always felt that Lois didn't give Clark time to mourn Mayson's death. Mayson was his friend and she died in his arms, and Lois encourages Dan more than she should at a time when Clark needs her patience and reassurance more than ever. True, Clark doesn't help matters by being an absent lunkhead, but still...

I also liked the idea of criminals faking their deaths using drugs, but the criminal mastermind behind it all was psycho!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I have to say that Dan seemed like an unneeded addition. I never figured out how Lois got beyond the fact that he tied them up when he first saw them.

I also half think if Clark had been smart he would have told Lois he was Superman as he was untieing them.

She clearly likes him, and has agreed to date him, and he should have figured it was best to let her in on the secret. OK, maybe he could not realize Dan would still be around, but still.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There are quite a few fanfics based on "Resurrection".

Dandello's stories are always fun to read, and her Leather is no exception. "L&C go undercover as Angel and Spike."

Moving on to romance and/or angst, we have Tracey's Yesterday's News , where L&C discuss their date without Scardino interrupting them. Chris Carr has the same basis - Lois and Clark discussing things - in So That's What You've Been Hiding .

What if Mayson Drake had lived? Lote explores what might have happened in Affirmation . Angelic_Editor talks about Mayson's last words in Seconds .

The always-reliable Wendy Richards pours on the angst in Saying Goodbye , where Dan Scardino writes a note to his deceased partner, Jenna.

I know there are some more fics that use the events in this episode, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Something that always bothered me about this episode is what gets Lois and Clark investigating to begin with: Mayson's last word is "Resurrection," so they assume that it has something to do with the case she was working on. They were right, of course, but if I heard someone about to die talking about resurrection, I would assume it had a religious significance. I guess what bothered me is that that idea was never brought up. They could have had Clark make some comment about how Mayson wasn't particularly religious, so that probably wasn't what she was talking about, and then lead in to L&C assuming that it must have been a message for Clark to help solve her murder. I don't think it needed to be a major discussion point, but it would seem more realistic to me if it was at least mentioned in passing.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
Something that always bothered me about this episode is what gets Lois and Clark investigating to begin with: Mayson's last word is "Resurrection," so they assume that it has something to do with the case she was working on. They were right, of course, but if I heard someone about to die talking about resurrection, I would assume it had a religious significance. I guess what bothered me is that that idea was never brought up. They could have had Clark make some comment about how Mayson wasn't particularly religious, so that probably wasn't what she was talking about, and then lead in to L&C assuming that it must have been a message for Clark to help solve her murder. I don't think it needed to be a major discussion point, but it would seem more realistic to me if it was at least mentioned in passing.
That did seem a bit weird. Even if the thing was "project resurrection" or something like that. The way it played out it never made sense that Clark thought she meant anything special.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard