Four weeks had passed and Lois hadn’t heard from Clark. She was coping surprisingly well but the children were disappointed. They missed spending time with their father, Lois explained that he had to go away because he wasn’t feeling too good but she wasn’t even sure if they were totally convinced. Martha had spoken to Clark a few times and she said he seemed to being seeing things a lot clearer after a few sessions with Dr Friskin. She’d seen him a few times on the TV and he looked stronger, he even looked like he was enjoying the rescues again. Lois kept herself focused with school work and being a mom, she hardly had any spare time to herself. Kieran had started soccer after school and Faith was taking dance lessons with her colleague, Miss.Butler. Now they were in full time education, she could at least plan her days better and write extra columns for the Planet.

Paul had been to see them a couple times but he had his own life to get on with. Lois was pleased to hear he was dating again. She didn’t want to contribute to yet another man’s misery. As friends they got on famously and supported one another, it was much better that way. Although she was coping with her situation, she missed Clark. As tempting as it was to contact him she refrained from all forms of communication. Her feelings for him were still questionable and as long as there were doubts she couldn’t face him.

Meanwhile in Metropolis, Clark had just returned from a harrowing session with Dr Friskin. Compared to her questions, being Superman was fairly easy. He decided to go to the counselling as Clark Kent rather than his alter ego. At least that way he would be treated as a normal human being. After the third session he began to open up more and he was really finding it helpful talking about everything he’d been through. Just to let out all the pent up anger and frustration felt great. He even managed to talk to Perry and Jimmy about it, which was an achievement in itself. There were several times in the past week when he had been tempted to fly to Smallville to see Lois and the children but his mom had told him to leave her for the moment. Clark had resigned himself to the fact that his marriage to Lois was nearing the end, he wasn’t holding out much hope of reconciliation.

The phone rang early Friday morning. It was Martha with some good news; she and Jonathan were going to bring the twins to Metropolis for the weekend to visit. The news had really brightened his day, it was just the tonic he needed plus he could really do with his parents loving support.

Lois had just finished packing the twins things when Martha popped her head round the door.

“Hi, honey, didn’t meant to sneak up on you like that.”

“Hi, Martha. I wasn’t sure what they’ll be doing so I’ve packed a variety of clothing. I don’t think they’ve ever been away from me before.”

“They’ll be fine. You may even find you enjoy the peace and quiet,” Martha laughed.

“Maybe. They’re so excited, I had trouble, trying to get them to sleep last night. Faith’s been drawing pictures to give to Clark and Kieran’s been practising his soccer skills to show him. I’m feeling a little left out.”

“You could always come too.”

“No, Clark needs time with them on their own without me around. Besides, I’m not sure I can face him.”

“I know what he did, Lois. He came to me almost immediately afterwards. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him so low.”

“I know he didn’t mean it, Martha. He just scared me a little.”

“Try not to hold it against him. All people go to a bad place sometime or other in their lives, but it’s worse for Clark because being a good, kind person is what makes him Clark. It’s what he’s all about, what he saw and what he did on New Krypton wasn’t easy for him. He went against everything he stood for. He thinks he’s lost his identity but he hasn’t.”

Martha looked directly at Lois, and gently squeezed her arm.

“That man is still there inside him he just needs a little help finding him again. You’ve both had a tough time and you’ve both had to cope without the support of the other but you don’t have to do that anymore Lois. The last time I spoke to Clark he was accepting the fact that things were over between you. Is that how you feel?”

She’d listened intently to what her mother in law was saying. “No, he is my life, Martha. He means everything to me. I guess I’m just not used to him being the one with the problem and I find it hard to deal with. Seeing Clark so vulnerable has really freaked me out and I have no idea how to help him. Oh, God, I sound so selfish, don’t I?”

“He may be Superman and he may be strong but he needs you emotionally. I love you both very much and I don’t know what else to do but try and make you see things a little differently. Use this time alone to think about what it is you really want, fix it now before it’s too late.”

Lois gave Martha a huge hug and kissed her on the cheek “You’re a very wise lady, Mrs. Kent. Don’t let anybody tell you any different.”

“Oh, don’t.You’ll make me cry. Now, where are those two monsters? We better get a move on. Jonathan is waiting in the truck and he’s probably wondering where we are.”

Lois waved goodbye until the truck disappeared into the horizon. Turning around, she headed back towards the barn. The wind gently moved through the trees and the air was cool. Lois stopped to observe her surroundings. It was a beautiful clear evening, the sun was about to bid farewell and the moon was high in the sky. Clark often mentioned how he used to sit for hours just admiring the beauty of nature. She used to tease him and tell him he was sentimental, but at that moment she couldn’t agree more and the only thing that was missing was him to share it with. Pulling her shawl tighter around her body, she placed herself on the swing outside and sat there gently swaying until the darkness embraced her.

The weekend seemed to last forever for Lois. She missed the children terribly. They had called her Saturday evening and were having a great time. She was disappointed when Clark didn’t speak to her; it had been ages since she’d even heard his voice. Everyone she cared about was in Metropolis and she was all by herself in Smallville with only her thoughts for company and Purdey, the kitten. She’d tried several times to get down to some serious book writing but always drew a blank. Sunday evening eventually came round. It was around seven when she heard the truck pull up outside.

Kieran and Faith ran towards her, waving and smiling. She bent down and smothered them with hugs and kisses. Martha and Jonathan followed behind with their luggage.

“I think they missed you, Lois,” said Jonathan.

“Not as much as I missed them. I know it was only two days but I really didn’t know what to do with myself,” she laughed.

Faith looked up at Lois and was babbling away. “Daddy took us all round Meto..p..lis and we went to Daddy’s work. It was fun and Kieran sat in Uncle Perry’s chair in his office.”

“All right sweetie. You can tell me all about it in a little while after I’ve spoken to Grandma and Grandpa. Take your brother inside there should be some chocolate for you in the kitchen.”

The children ran off into the house while Lois and the Kents followed.

“Did you have a nice weekend then?” asked Lois.

“Yes, it was quite hectic though. I don’t know how we managed to keep up. Clark was in his element of course,” replied Martha.

“How is he?”

“Getting there slowly. He seems more content and optimistic anyway which is good. Seeing the children really perked him up though, they’ve taken so readily to him. I told him that you were thinking of him.”

“That’s all I’ve been doing. I was wondering if I should go and see him next week? We can’t carry on in limbo like this, we’re gonna have to talk sooner or later.”

Lois felt Martha gently tug at her arm. “You do whatever you think will help but he’d like to see you. I know he would.”

On Wednesday morning Lois said goodbye to the children again. She dropped them off at the Kents before heading to the airport. She had purchased a one way ticket, hoping that Clark could bring her back later in the day.

The plane touched down in Metropolis early that morning if she was quick she would try and catch Clark before he went to The Planet; at least she could arrange to meet with him for lunch. Waving frantically, she hailed a taxi and jumped in. “Clinton Street please.”

The taxi driver was as quick as he could be in rush hour. They pulled up outside Clinton Street a few minutes later. Lois took a deep breath and headed for number 344. Just as she was about to rap on the door it opened.

“Hi,” she still had her arm in the air and was leaning forward slightly trying to stop herself from falling into Clark’s apartment.

He gently caught her and stood her upright again. “Lois? What are you doing here? Are you okay? Is everything all right with the twins?”

Blushing, she swept her hair away from her face. “Oh no, I mean yes… everything is fine. Look, I won’t keep you, can we meet up for lunch?” She was looking at him intently, waiting for a response. She had forgotten how handsome he was in the flesh and suits always looked amazing on him all bar the crazy tie he was wearing.

“Um yeah. What are you going to do in the meantime though?”

“I’ve got a few things I can do before we meet up. So what do you say to noon at Jo Jo’s?”

“Sure. I’ll see you there. I don’t mean to be rude but I’m meeting a source in a few minutes.”

“Oh , I’m sorry. You better go. I’ll see you later then?”

He smiled at her. “I’ll be there! Oh, and Lois… it’s good to see you!” he shouted.

“That didn’t go too badly,” she said to herself.

Lois spent the morning researching for her next story and catching up on some shopping in the mall. As usual she’d bought loads of stuff for the kids and could just about manage to get the bags through the restaurant door. She found a nice little private table near the window. Making herself comfortable, she sat down and ordered a black coffee and went over her notes she’d made in the library.

Clark spotted her in the far corner chewing her pencil. He smiled to himself and thought how cute she looked.

“I hate to see a beautiful woman sitting all on her own. May I join you?”

Lois jumped. “Oh,Clark. You shouldn’t creep up on people like that!”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you. Have you ordered any food?”

“No, I thought I’d wait for you. The pasta looks good though, I think I’ll try that.”

Clark summoned the waitress and ordered their lunch and a soda for himself. “Are you here on business or personal?” he asked.

“The main reason I’m here is to talk with you, although I have got a bit of work done this morning.”

“Lois, I don’t want to play games anymore. Let’s just cut to the chase and get this over with.”

“Hang on a minute, you don’t even know what I’m going to say yet.”

“I have a pretty good idea.”

“I don’t think you do. Clark, I’m sorry that I haven’t been in contact with you but it doesn’t mean I’ve given up on you or us. I’ve been watching your progress on the television and your mom has been keeping me posted. I’m really proud of you, looking at you today you’re like a different man.”

Clark was surprised by her words. “Thanks, it means a lot to me. It’s been hard having to face up to things but I’ve been seeing the world differently recently.”

“That’s wonderful Clark”

“Dr. Friskin made me realise that I had so many positive things in my life. She comes out with some weird stuff but it seems to work. Anyway, after some tests and then a few sessions with her and Dr.Klein, the conclusion is that I’m suffering with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Apparently I’ve been showing all the signs, intrusion, avoidance and hyper arousal. I’ve been reading up on it at home on the Internet. I’m going to visit some people with the same condition next week. I think it’ll be really beneficial.”

“Is that what people get after they’ve been through a natural disaster or witnessed something horrific?”

“Yeah. It’s kind of a delayed reaction. In my case when I came back to Earth, I couldn’t deal with the sudden changes in my life. One minute I was at war and the next I was free to do whatever I wanted. I came back to Metropolis, expecting everything to fall back into place and when it didn’t I just went into a depression.”

Lois could feel herself welling up. “Oh, Clark.”

“Hey, don’t cry for me. Dry your eyes and save your tears.” He offered Lois a tissue.

Sniffing, Lois took the tissue and dabbed her eyes. “I just wish we’d been able to help each other instead of arguing and being hateful. You’re the last person I want to fall out with.”

“I won’t let that happen. Now, what did you want to talk to me about?”

“I came to salvage our relationship. If I’ve given you the impression that I’m indifferent to you then I’m sorry. I don’t want a divorce or a separation, it’s hard enough living apart as it is now. If anything we’ve been distancing ourselves from each other too much. Clark, I can’t live like this anymore. Please just come home.”

“You’ve really thought about this, haven’t you?”

“Yes. You don’t have to answer right now. Just give it some thought and let me know when you’ve come to a decision.”

Clark caught her hand before she turned away. “Lois, I don’t need to think about it, I’ve done enough of that to last a lifetime. There’s nothing I’d love more.”

Through the tears the smile came. The waitress placed their lunch down on the table but Lois and Clark didn’t seem to notice. They were content with just being there together and feeling happy. Eventually they ate lunch accompanied by a bottle of champagne.

“Oh gosh I feel really tipsy,” laughed Lois.

Clark shook his head. “C’mon I’ll get the cheque and we can get going. Speaking of which what are your plans for the rest of the day?”

“Well, I was hoping you could take me home. I didn’t buy a return ticket but if it’s a problem I’ll make my way back to the airport and pick up the next flight to Kansas.”

“I can take you back but not yet. Why don’t you come back to The Planet with me this afternoon? I’m sure Perry and Jimmy would love to see you.”

Picking up her bags she thought about it. “Sure.”

“Do you want a hand with those?”

“If you wouldn’t mind. I kind of got carried away at the mall this morning.All those cute clothes and toys and boutiques and…”

Clark grabbed the bags and manoeuvred her towards the door. “I get the picture.”

“Oh my cell is ringing. Can you get it Clark, it’s in my coat pocket.”

“Hello, Clark Kent.”

“Hi, Ellen. How are you? Great. I’ve just had lunch with Lois and now we’re heading back to the paper. Okay. I’ll tell her. Yeah sure. Okay. Bye, Ellen.”

“Don’t tell me, let me guess. She’s cancelling her visit for next week?”

“Er….yeah. She’s going to a convention with your father but she’ll ring you later to re-schedule.”

“Typical. They’re like a couple of love sick teenagers, can’t go anywhere without the other!”

“It’s kinda sweet.”

Rolling her eyes, she put her phone back and linked arms with Clark. “Is Natasha going to be there?”

“Lois, she works there.”

“OK, OK, I was just asking.”

“She’s quite a nice girl when you get to know her. I’d rather you were my partner of course.”

“Of course,” said Lois flippantly

Lois stayed at the paper with Clark all afternoon. She borrowed a computer to continue with her latest article. She looked up and caught Clark’s eye. He winked and she smiled back. A rush of adrenaline invaded her body. It was a feeling she had long since forgotten existed. The phone on the desk started to ring so she picked it up.

“Lois Lane.”

“Lois Lane, you can be very distracting to a man while working…. Take your hair down,” said the husky voice at the end of the phone.

Lois looked round the newsroom and then looked directly at Clark. She slowly took the clip out of her hair that was holding all the loose curls up. They gently fell around her face and onto her shoulders. His dark eyes were drawn only to her. He watched on as she ran her fingers through hair.

“I’ve never seen anything more beautiful. Meet me on the roof in five minutes. I think we have unfinished business to attend to.”

Lois hung up with her heart in her mouth. She was dumbfounded. She knew Clark had hidden talents but that had been… erotic? Lois hurried towards the elevator her stomach in tight knots and her face burning.

A few minutes later Clark was making his way up towards to the Daily Planet roof. He prayed that she hadn’t gone anywhere else. The last thing he wanted to do was scare her off. Opening the fire exit door, he wasn’t disappointed. There she was her hair still loose; the wind sweeping it back from her face. She was perfect.

He closed the distance between them and softly placed his hands either side of her face. Desire prevailed and their mouths met with such a passion that nothing could divide them. Only the need for oxygen eventually parted them. They remained close; their bodies still touching and breathing in a sensorial rhythm.

“Clark, that was… amazing.”

“How about I amaze you some more back at my apartment?”

Her eyes were sparkling with excitement. “That’s an offer I cannot refuse.”

Releasing Lois, Clark spun round into Superman. “Your taxi in the sky awaits you, madam.”

She jumped into his arms and they took off into the dusky evening sky.

Some time later Lois and Clark emerged from the bedroom of his apartment with sanguine looks on their faces. Neither of them had experienced quite so many emotions at once. A connection had been made once more in the act of love. It came as naturally as they’d found it the first time.

Lois took one last look at the place she’d called home for the past five. There was no going back now, a new family was moving in next week. Kieran and Faith were helping Clark load up the removal truck, they were so cute and Clark was so patient. She wasn’t going to get all-maudlin over a house. A fresh start is what they’d decided on. A new house, with her family in Metropolis and her old job at the Planet. Life couldn’t get much better than that.

THE END….for now