“Well this is a surprise meeting Lois Lane in the Superman Exhibition. How ironic.”

Lois starred at him. Watching the corners of his mouth turn into that sickly smile. This was a face she never wanted to see ever again.

“Well, my dear, it’s lovely to see you. You look as pleasing as ever. ”

She looked over at Kieran and Faith who were pressing buttons on an interactive screen. Lex caught her glancing and saw her anxiousness.

“The children. Are they yours?” he asked.

“Yes,” she replied, swallowing hard.

“No guessing who the father is then. They’re fine looking children, Lois.”

Lois prayed for Clark to come back. She gave the rest of the papers back to Lex, grabbed the twins and made a sharp exit. Outside the museum she let out a long breath. Clark was running up the sidewalk towards them. He immediately noticed that Lois wasn’t happy.

“Lois? What’s the matter? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“If only,” she replied. “I walked straight into him, Clark, that monster. Oh, I feel so sick.”

“Are you saying you saw Luthor in there?”

“Yes. The way he looked at me”

Clark knew that sooner or later they were going to meet their old nemesis again. He pulled Lois into his arms and held her. “Shhh, honey. It’s all right I won’t let him hurt you.”

“He saw the children too. I can handle Lex but if he tries to get to me through them. Will he never leave us in peace?”

“He’s always been obsessed with you, Lois. I’m not going to let him ruin our day. C’mon let’s go and see Perry and Jimmy at the Planet. Maybe they’ve heard something.”

The newsroom was bustling as usual. Perry was shouting at some poor kid, Jimmy was on the phone and Ralph was talking to the female staff. Lois got caught by a few people who were cooing over the twins but was soon rescued by Jimmy. Clark entered Perry’s office and sat down.

“Aghh, son, how’s the day off? Been out and about?”

“We’ve just been to the museum where Lois had the unfortunate experience of meeting Lex Luthor.”

Perry gritted his teeth. “That good for nothing crook. Lands on his feet as soon as he’s out of prison. You would have thought the people of Metropolis wouldn’t have forgotten what he did this city. Memories like goldfish. Is she ok?”

“You know Lois.”

“And what about you two? It was a bit tense at the party yesterday.”

“I didn’t realise it was so bad. I keep asking myself how did it ever come to this? You of all people know how we feel about each other.”

“I’ve seen Lois go through a lot over these past five or so years. She’s put the kids first at all times no matter what the cost was to her. I think it’s about time someone pampered her.”

“I hear what you’re saying, Chief. If I’d known about the twins, I would have never have left her. I shouldn’t have left anyway. I missed out on so much.”

“You may have your chance again, son. Lois has mentioned to me that she’d like more children.” Perry kicked himself. He wished he’d never said that.

“What? Really?”

“Don’t let her know I told you that. I just thought you should know that there is hope.”

Lois knocked on Perry’s door and went in. “Sorry, am I intruding on your male conversation?”

“No, not at all, darling.” Clark here was just telling me about Luthor.”

They stayed at the Planet for a little while before heading off for lunch. Clark thought Lois was rather quiet. She preoccupied herself by fussing over the children and barely talking to him. The rest of the day was spent in out of shops and at the park. It was fairly late by the time they returned to Clinton Street.

“I’m dead beat. I think I’ll just grab a glass of water then go to bed,” yawned Lois.

“Okay, well I’ll just make sure the kids are all right then I’ll join you.”

Lois got her glass and made her way to the bedroom. She quickly got changed, went to the bathroom and jumped in the bed. Closing her eyes, she wished herself off to sleep. The thought of Clark being beside her was all too much. No matter what was going on she was all too aware of the passion that existed between them. She heard footsteps, then door opened and he walked in. A few minutes later, she felt the bed covers being turned back. She knew he was looking at her, she could feel it.

“Lois? Are you awake?” He gently took her shoulder and pulled it towards him.

She reluctantly opened her eyes. “What is it Clark?”

“I just wanted to make sure that you’re OK. You’ve been quiet all afternoon.”

“I’m fine. Good night, Clark,” she whispered.

“Night, Lois,” replied Clark as he rolled over.

As it was, Lois slept well. She woke up with Clark’s arm around her. She gently removed it and slid out of bed. Throwing on her negligee, she glanced at the clock. It was seven thirty. The twins were bound to be awake.

“Hey, kids, you’re up?” She looked around the living room but couldn’t see them for all the mess. Then she saw a dinosaur heading towards her from behind the sofa.

“Hi, mommy,” said Kieran.

“Morning, sweetheart. Where’s your sister?”

He pointed to the kitchen table. “She’s making a layer for the dinos.”

“Okay, but I don’t want you touching daddy’s stuff and making..a mess.”Clark’s apartment was in total chaos. Lois couldn’t help but laugh to herself. She’d have to make some effort to tidy it up a bit before Clark put in an appearance. Unfortunately for her they had been caught out. Clark was standing in the bedroom doorway with his hand on his head in utter bewilderment.

“Hi, Clark. Isn’t it a lovely morning,” sniggered Lois.

“I’m glad you think so. What happened to my apartment?”

“Kids, Clark. Get used to it.”

Lois felt sorry for him. He looked so adorable. He soon melted when he saw their two little faces smiling at him. “Daddy, do you want to play with us?” asked Faith.

Lois clambered over the toys to get to the kitchen. She poured the twins some juice and made a coffee for Clark and herself. “Let Daddy wake up first, Faith.”

Clark joined Lois in the kitchen “Now this is something alien to me. I don’t think I could make this much mess if I tried,” he laughed.

“I’m sorry. They’ll tidy it up. Oh, Clark, the look on your face. It was a classic.”

He still wasn’t amused. Lois nudged him. “You’re enjoying this aren’t you?”

“Now, what ever gave you that idea?”

“Well, this is what it’s like for me most days when I get up. I’m sure those kids don’t get much sleep. I don’t know how they find the energy first thing in the morning. Anyway, did you sleep well?”

“Yeah, I did. What about you?”

“Like a log,” she smiled.

“Well, I could go and get us some breakfast. Won’t take me long I promise.”

“Sure, you do that and I’ll try and sort all this out.”

Lois made a start on clearing up while Clark went out for some groceries. Kieran and Faith helped her then they set the table for breakfast. Lois was just about to jump in the shower when there was a knock at the door. The woman was tall, well dressed with long blonde hair. She was turned out immaculately.

“Hi, my name’s Natasha James. Clark’s partner. You must be Lois? Perry said that I just missed you at the Planet. I was out covering a story.” She extended her arm out to Lois.

So this was the infamous Miss James. Lois was curious to know what she was doing on a Sunday morning, all dressed up and on Clark’s doorstep. “Yes, I’m Lois Lane. Clark’s wife,” she emphasised the wife part just so she got the message. “Clark’s not here at the moment he’s just popped out.”

“Well, I’m sure he won’t mind if I wait for him. It’s rather important.” Natasha pushed past Lois and made her way to the sofa.

“Excuse me, but I don’t like your impertinence.” She could have continued but Clark had come back.

“Hi, Lois, I’m back.” Clark walked through the door, carrying four brown bags. “Oh, Natasha. What are you doing here?”

“Perry’s put us on a new assignment. I didn’t realise you had visitors, sorry for the intrusion. I just thought that if you weren’t doing anything maybe you’d like to go through some stuff with me.”

Clark looked and Lois and then at the kids sitting at the table. “I’m spending the weekend with Lois and children. Can it wait till Monday?”

“I guess so. Perry said it was an urgent assignment. Are you aware that Lex Luthor is back in business?”

Lois coughed. Clark set the bags on the floor. “Yeah, I know he’s trying to take over Metropolis again.”

“What do you know?” asked Lois.

“Apparently he’s supposed to be a reformed character. He’s been helping out with Metropolis United Charities and putting money into the refurbish programme at the museums. It’s all too suspicious there must be an ulterior motive.”

“Well if I know Lex, he’s up to no good. I saw him yesterday and I certainly didn’t notice any change. Besides, I didn’t fancy talking to him.”

Clark gave Natasha a file he’d been working on. “Well, you’re quite welcome to scan through these.”

Natasha bent down to pick up her brief case. “Well, I’ll see what I can dig up and then we’ll go from there. Once again I apologise for the intrusion. It was nice to finally meet you, Lois.” She shook her hand and walked out. “I’ll see you Monday Clark!”

“Yeah, bye, Natasha.”

Lois closed the door properly. “Well, she certainly means business. I’m not so sure she came over to talk work, Clark.”

Clark had his hands on his waist. “Oh Lois, c’mon. You’re always looking into things, she’s just conscientious that’s all.”

“Yeah right. And you must be blind. Never mind, you were always oblivious to women flirting with you. I’m going to head for the shower so you can sort the kids out.”

Lois stepped into the warm shower and let the water warm her skin. It was invigorating. She didn’t normally have the time to indulge herself in such luxuries. It was normally step in, quick wash and out again. Meanwhile Clark had breakfast underway, he had the twins making up some eggs; most of which seemed to be out of the bowl rather than in it.

“I wonder what’s keeping mommy so long? She’s been in there for ages.”

“Shall I go see Daddy?” asked Faith.

Clark ruffled Faiths hair. “No, no, darling, you stay there, I’ll go and see what she’s doing.”

The steam was seeping through all the gaps in the door. “Lois? Are you okay?” she didn’t reply so he banged on the door. She still didn’t reply.

Lois suddenly felt a draft. “What the…Clark!!”

“Oh, you’re OK. Sorry, Lois. It’s just you’ve been in here ages. I thought that maybe you slipped…or something,” he tried to pull his eyes away from a very wet and steamy, exposed Lois Lane.

“Can’t a girl take a shower in peace these days?! Can you pass me a towel please, Mr. Superhero.”

Clark handed Lois a towel. He blushed and looked away.

Lois started to laugh uncontrollably. “Oh, Clark. Your face. You look like you’ve been caught looking at naughty magazine by your mother.”

Clark started to smile. “I’m glad I’ve managed to make you laugh. It’s just with the way things are between us.”

“Like you said, Clark, we are married.”

“Then why am I standing here, feeling guilty about well .. this. I couldn’t keep my eyes off you.”

With a twinkle in her eye Lois walked from the bathroom to the bedroom. “At least I’ve still got what it takes then. I have a confession to make. It’ll make you feel better.”

Clark followed her. “I’m listening.”

“Last night when you thought I was asleep and you were getting undressed, I was watching the whole time!”

“In that case. We’re even. If we were all alone right now there’s no telling what I’d do to you.” Winked Clark. “Speaking of which, I had better see if our breakfast has been burnt.”

Lois felt a sudden flutter of happiness. They had just been flirting like a couple of teenagers. It was the first time in ages she’d felt that way. Throwing on some casual clothes, she joined them all at the table. Out of the corner of her eye she caught Clark looking at her. “Today is going to be good,” she thought to herself.

The previous day Perry had given Clark four tickets for the Baseball game. It didn’t start until the afternoon so they had the morning to kill. The children had enjoyed themselves so much at the park the day before that they decided that’s where they wanted to spend the morning. It was a beautiful day, everyone seemed to have the same idea. When they arrived the park was full of people, kids were paddling in the stream, and people were walking their dogs and flying kites.

Clark had given Faith a piggyback while Lois was pulling along Kieran.

“Hey, look at the kites. Can we have one?” pointed Faith.

“We’ll see,” said Lois.

“Oh, look at that one,” said Kieran, it’s a superman kite.”

Clark let Faith slide down to the ground. “You guys get settled here and I’ll go and get us a kite.”

Faith ran after Clark as fast as her little legs could carry her. “Daddy, wait for me!” He stopped and waited for his daughter to catch him up.

Lois crouched down to Kieran's level. “So, little man. Do you fancy a paddle in the stream?”

“Mmmm, OK.”

They took their shoes off and stood at the edge of the water. “Look, honey, there’s some stepping stones. We can walk over to them and cross the stream.” Lois noticed that Kieran was acting a little strange. “Sweetheart, what is it? You can tell me?”

“I don’t want to go home. Why can’t we all live together? Don’t you love Daddy? That’s what Sammy at school says.”

“Oh, sweetie, I do love your Daddy. We’ve been apart for such a long time that we need to get to know one another again. It may take a while but eventually if things go okay that we can all live together. I know this might be hard for you to understand, Kieran, but just be patient with us.”

His big brown eyes filled with tears. Lois took his face in her hands and gently held him there. “Hey, where’s mommy’s big brave boy? I want you to know that I love you and Daddy loves you very much. Nothing will ever change that, ever. Come on, I want you to enjoy today so let’s go and see if they’ve got that kite yet.”

Kieran managed a small smile. He took hold of his mother’s hand and followed her lead. “Hey, they got one and daddy’s flying it. Look mommy can you see it?

“I see it.”

Faith was jumping up and down besides Clark like a pogo stick while he was flying the kite. Kieran then joined in the fun by chasing it. Lois couldn’t decide who was the bigger kid. She sat down on the grass and watched them all play with kite.

“Hey.”

Lois looked up to see Paul standing over her. “Hey. This is a surprise.”

Paul caught his breath “I’ve been jogging and working out. In this heat it’s a little intense. I saw Clark and the kids over there with the kite. Looks fun.”

“If it keeps them entertained, I’m all for it.”

“They’re growing up fast. So, how are you after the other night?”

“Putting on a brave face and trying to get on with things.”

“You’re a hardy person, Lois, you’ll get through it. I er should go. I can feel the eyes burning in the back of my head. Look me up sometime.”

Clark wound the kite in and glanced over. He was pretty sure that Paul wasn’t going to give up on Lois and he could hardly blame him but that didn’t mean he had to like it. He bit his lip and made his way over.

“What did Mr.Movie star want?”

“He was just passing.”

Clark raised his eyebrows.

“Don’t, Clark. Let’s just enjoy our day together. It seems the kite flying went down well?” Clark turned round to see Kieran and Faith. Trying hard to get the kite to fly.

“It’s not as easy as it looks.”

Lois patted the grass next to her “Why don’t you sit down, we need to have a talk.”

“Sounds ominous.”

“Well it’s not. While you were with Faith, I had a little one on one with Kieran. He wanted to know why we all didn’t live together and if I loved you. I think his friends at school have been making him feel insecure. It’s obviously something that’s been playing on his mind and upsetting him. Clark, everything we do affects the children and I don’t want that.”

“Well, what did you say to him?”

“That I loved you and that he has to be patient with us as we have a lot to sort out. Then he started crying and getting upset.”

Reassuringly, he took her hand. “Well, we don’t want to rush into anything which could make things worse in the long term. I’ll try and spend as much time as I can with all of you. It’s all new to them at the moment, having me around. I guess it’s a hard thing to cope with when you’re a kid.”

“Yeah, and I know all too well what it’s like when your parents aren’t together and when they are, all they ever do is argue.”

“Hey, we’re going to be all right. You know I have things to sort out in my head and so do you. We can only give it our best shot. The last thing I want is a broken family Lois you must realise that?”

“I know, I know. It just breaks my heart when the children get upset. I’ve tried so hard to make sure they have a happy life. It’s been the three of us against the world and it’s taking some getting used to now there’s four.”

“Well, I’m afraid you’re stuck with me. I have no intention on leaving now or in the distant future. You never know maybe we could..extend the family?”

Lois shot a look at Clark. “Perry.”

“Where?” asked Clark, smirking.

“He said something to you, didn’t he? You’re a good liar, Clark, but I know your every expression.”

Clark’s grin had widened into a mischievous smile. “I didn’t mean right now but maybe one day. It was just a comment.”

“Wait till I see Perry.”

“Why, did you mention something to him then?”

“Clark Kent, your incorrigible. I don’t think I want to continue this conversation with you.” Lois poked Clark on his chest.

“Well, in that case we’ll just have to find some other way of passing the time.” He grabbed her hand before she could pull it away, turning her around he laid her on the grass. Inches away from her face he locked into her eyes.

“Not here. With the all these people,” Lois whispered.

“Who cares. I’ve been dying to do this all weekend.” Before she could answer his lips were soft on hers.

Kieran and Faith nudged each other and giggled. “See, I told you mommy and daddy were ok,” said Faith to her brother.

Kieran was screwing his face up. “Ewwww.”

By the end of the day, after the baseball game the Kent family made their way back to Clinton Street. The Children had fallen asleep on Lois’s lap in the back of taxi. Clark was sitting in the front next to the driver smiling to himself. Today they had made progress and had got along really well, just like they used too. He’d had a few interruptions of the superhero kind, but apart from that they’d had a fun family day out and he’d really enjoyed that feeling.

Lois gently nudged the children as the cab stopped outside the apartment. Clark opened the door and took Kieran from Lois. Faith rubbed her eyes and hopped onto the sidewalk.

“Looks like the little guy can’t keep up,” said Clark as he gently carried him up the steps.

“His not the only one,” said Lois.

“C’mon let’s get inside and get these two settled, then we can relax a little.”

The twins didn’t protest when Lois and Clark put them to bed. “Are you sure you don’t mind roughing it on the couch, Clark?”

“It’s fine, really. I’ll probably get a better sleep than you, what with the twins fidgeting all time,” laughed Clark.

Lois shrugged her shoulders “I’m used to it.”

Clark made his way round the kitchen, while Lois followed him with her eyes. “So, today’s been good right?” said Clark.

“Yes, I’d say so. It was really nice just being with you and the children. I never thought I’d get that experience.”

“Oh?”

“To be a family. You know, I used to watch families together and they’d always look so content and complete. It’s really hard being a single parent, you feel inadequate and you can never do enough because you feel you have compensate all the time.”

Clark stopped what he was doing and sat opposite Lois. “Well, we can raise our children together now and you’ll never have to feel like that again. You’ve done a fantastic job and you should be proud of yourself. This whole parenting thing is new to me, so you’ll have to be a little patient. I don’t think I’ve quite got the hang of it yet.”

“Oh, Clark, you’re so modest. You’re a natural and you know it!”

“Hey, eat your cookies and drink the coffee.”

“What did I just tell? You’re a natural father.”

Lois started to nibble the edge of the cookie.“So, I guess it will be back to work tomorrow with the lovely Miss James?”

Clark shook his head. “Loooiss.”

“Clarrrk.”

“Can’t say I’m looking forward to chasing Luthor again. I though that was all in the past but it looks like the past has come back to haunt me.”

There was a brief silence between them until Lois spoke again. “He’s been sending me roses.”

“Luthor?”

“Yeah. Once a year on the anniversary of the day that I didn’t marry him.”

“What! How come you never mentioned this before?” Clark’s expression changed.

“I was hoping I wouldn’t have too. I’m the one that got away and that’s a challenge to Lex. Possessions are everything to him.”

“Will that man never stop!” shouted Clark.

Lois put her index finger to her lips. “Shhhh you’ll wake the kids.”

Clark lent over the table and whispered. “Sorry, you should’ve told me sooner.”

“What with everything going on I didn’t want to add another problem.”

“Lois, Luthor is capable of anything, who knows what he’ll do next. I don’t want you living on your own with the children. I’ll move to Smallville.”

“No! What happened to giving it time? We don’t need looking after, Clark. You’re over reacting, I’m not scared of him. I think he was just letting me know that he had forgotten about me. As long as he’s alive he’ll always make his presence known to me, you know that.”

“I guess so, but I’m not happy about it. I dealt with rogues like him on New Krypton, it wasn’t a pleasant experience you know. Everyday I had new enemies, having to constantly watch your back the whole time, it really gets to you. Not having you to talk to was the worst thing though. Most of the time I had to lock my feelings and emotions inside. Occasionally I’d talk to Zara about things but she didn’t really understand, she tried her best but when it came down to it I was all alone.”

Her heart went out to him. He had such a pained look in his eyes. “Oh, Clark, it may be a little late but I’m here now and I’m listening. I’d much rather you open up to me than argue with me.”

“Yeah. It’s just so hard. Harder than I ever thought.”

Lois got up and took Clarks hand. “Come with me.”

She led him to his bedroom. “They’re perfect aren’t they. So peaceful, innocent and so beautiful. I’ve spent so many hours just looking at them when they’re asleep. Clark, we’re so lucky to have them and each other, do you understand what I’m saying?”

“Yes, I think I do.”

“Everybody has their problems but they get through them because they have family. Clark, you have us and your parents and we all love you. If there’s anything you need to get off you’re chest then talk to one of us.”

Clark pulled Lois into his arms and kissed the top of her head. “Oh, Lois, what would I do without you?”

tbc....