Outside Lois Lane was in full turmoil. She didn’t want to be in that apartment for one more second, listening to Clark destroying himself. She felt utterly useless and completely shut out, just when she thought they were finally getting somewhere he’d thrown it all back in her face. She was fighting to keep hold of him and it was making her weak. He was breaking her heart all over again when he promised he wouldn’t. Glancing back at his door, she made her way down the steps and into Metropolis.

The city was all lit up at night and it was buzzing. She noticed the improvement since she’d last been. It was a lot cleaner and the atmosphere felt right. “At least he managed to get one thing back to normal,” she thought.
Lois Lane wondered aimlessly through the streets of the city in deep thought. She passed several bars but decided against having a glass of brandy. As she grew nearer to the main Theatre she noticed a huge crowd gathering round the main entrance. Lois, being naturally inquisitive, decided she’d see what all the fuss was about.

Having plenty of experience, she managed to push her way through the crowd to the front. Looking around, she still couldn’t fathom what or who was the centre of attention. Then, all of a sudden the double doors opened and out walked a gorgeous man. Not just any man, it was Paul.

The screams were deafening. People were yelling his name and trying to scramble over the rope to get to him. Lois was baffled at this strange turn of events. She didn’t want to be seen by him but it was too late she was wedged fast and he was heading in her direction. The look on Paul’s face wasn’t too dissimilar to her own. He pulled down his sunglasses and blinded her with his smile.

“Lois.”

“Paul.”

The crowd around her fell silent as he held out his hand towards her. Reluctantly, she took it and stepped over the rope to join him. He whispered something to one of the guards and the crowds parted allowing them to walk freely to the limo waiting at the bottom of the red carpet. Lois was so overcome that she just went with it. Paul ushered her into the limo and sat down besides her.

“Well, it’s lovely to see you, Lois. I’d like to think you came here just to see me but I’m not getting that feeling.”

“No, I was just taking an evening stroll when I came across the theatre and there you were in the midst of a frenzy.”

“That would be my fans.” Paul picked up the bottle of champagne. “Would you care for a glass?”

Lois took the flute and let Paul pour the champagne. “Your fans?”

“When I left Smallville I came back to Metropolis and auditioned for a few parts in various films. A few weeks later I got a part in a major supporting role and it’s spiralled out of control since. What you just witnessed was yours truly coming out from the premier. My agent reckons I’ll be fighting them off with a stick after that one. It’s what I’ve always wanted, Lois. I am now officially living the dream.”

Lois rolled her eyes as Paul topped up her glass. “Well your fame hasn’t reached Smallville yet. I’m glad it’s all worked out for you. I always thought you had that film star look about you.”

Paul looked her up and down “Shame you couldn’t be my leading lady.”

Lois felt the heat rise to her face “Paul, I’m really sorry about what happened between us.”

She noticed the immediate change of expression on his face. “Not as sorry as I was.”

The driver interrupted them. “Excuse me, Mr. Aston. We’re near your hotel. Is your friend accompanying you or would you like us to take her to a different destination?”

“Would you like to join me for a night cap or can my driver take you… home or your hotel?”

“I really should be getting back but I guess a quick night cap wouldn’t hurt.” She wanted to go back to Clark but she was scared.

Paul pressed the intercom button and told the driver to go direct to the hotel. Lois didn’t want to think about what she was doing. She was supposed to be spending the evening with her husband. Ten minutes later she was walking into a hotel bar with her ex-boyfriend turned film star.

They sat down in a private corner of the function room. The lighting was soft and music played in the background.

“Are you going to tell me why you were wondering around Metropolis on your own?”

“I was with Clark at his apartment. We had words and then I walked out.” Lois looked down at her hands and played with her rings. A single tear fell down her face. “I’m sorry I just can’t deal with it anymore. Maybe I should go. I’ve wasted enough of your time already”.

“Hey, I know I’m probably the last person you’d expect to comfort you but I’m here and I’m listening. Now take this tissue and dry your eyes and take your time.”

“Thanks, Paul. Look, I really shouldn’t be here with you. I’m not sure I feel comfortable about this.”

“Maybe not. I don’t like seeing you upset. Hey, we’re still friends you know. You know I’m a good listener.”

“Well, all right. Clark and I, we’ve always had this amazing connection, we didn’t even have to speak and we’d know what one another was feeling and thinking. Ever since he’s been back I’ve been waiting for that connection. He says he still loves me but I’m not so sure.”

“Well it sounds like whatever he experienced while he was away had a deep effect on him. It could be that you had your time together and he blew it by walking out on you.”

“Thanks,” said Lois sarcastically.

Paul moved round to where Lois was seated. Putting his arm around her, he pulled her close. “It’ll be all right. Just don’t try so hard.”

Lois looked up at Paul and composed herself. “I missed you after you left you know. I kept expecting you to walk around the corner at school. Your replacement isn’t a patch on you.”

“It’s nice to be appreciated. So, what are we going to do with you? Shall I take you back to Clark’s or would you like to stay here at the hotel?”

“I can’t leave things as they are, I should probably go back or he’ll be worried about me. I’ll order a taxi and be on my way.” Lois rose from the table and Paul held her back. “I’ll get my driver to take you back. It’s late and Metropolis is full of low life.”

“Thanks, Paul. You’ve been my saviour tonight. I won’t forget it.” She kissed him on the cheek and headed off towards the front of the hotel.

Paul shouted after her. “I’ll be here all week if you need me.
Lois stepped out of the Limo and walked up the steps towards Clark’s apartment. She pulled the key from her bag and opened the door.

Clark was sitting on the sofa with two pizza boxes on the table in front of him, starring at the TV screen.

“Anything good on TV?” asked Lois sarcastically. She was trying to control her temper. She was still angry with him for flying off the handle with her.

Clark gave Lois a sharp look. “Oh, just my wife getting into a limo with her ex-boyfriend.”

Lois looked at the screen and then at Clark. “It’s not what you think Clark.”

“No wonder you were so eager to leave. Pre-arranged, wasn’t it?”

“Is anything I say going to make a difference to what you’re thinking?”

Clark said nothing and continued to avoid Lois. “Clark, I shouldn’t have walked out on you but I just can’t take this anymore. We seem to be fine for a few weeks then suddenly we end up arguing and saying hurtful things. This isn’t doing either of us any good and sooner or later it will affect the children. I’ve tried so hard with you and I don’t know what else I can do to rescue our relationship. You have to help me out here.” Lois walked over to the Television and turned it off. “Clark, are you listing to me?!”

“I hear you, Lois.” He gestured for Lois to sit down next to him. “I’d like nothing more than for things to go back to the way they used to be between us. I’m trying to get my life back on track while dealing with the demons in my head, and it’s a lot harder to do than I thought. We keep saying that we’ll take it slow but we don’t. It becomes intense because of the way we feel and I love you too much to keep hurting you like this. You, the kids and my parents are everything to me and that’s why I’ve come to a decision.”

Lois knew what was coming next, she could see the pain in his face. “You’re leaving again, aren’t you?”

“No, that’s the coward’s way out. I want a separation, Lois”

“A separation?”

“Yes. We need to go back to the core of our relationship.” before Clark could continue Lois finished the sentence.

“Our friendship.”

“Yes. I’ve decided to live here in Metropolis permanently. I’ll continue to provide for you, Kieran and Faith and I’ll visit every weekend. This is something I have to do on my own. It’s only fair that I sort myself out before making any commitments to anyone.”

“I could be waiting months or even years for you, Clark. What if this isn’t what I want?”

“Then I guess I’ll have no choice but to let you go.”

Lois felt sick. It was like being in a room with a complete stranger. “I don’t know you anymore, Clark Kent. What did they do to you?”

“That’s a question that I ask myself daily, This is a case of being cruel to be kind.”

Lois was fuming. This was the second time he had ruined her life. “Well, there’s nothing much left to say is there.”

“I can fly you home.”

“No, thank you. I’ll make alternative arrangements.”

“Lois, I don’t want you walking around the city at this time of night on your own. It’s no trouble, I’ll fly you home. Please?”

“All right.”

They flew in complete silence all the way back to Smallville. Lois didn’t look at Clark and he didn’t look at her. There was an awkwardness between them as Clark lowered her down on to the balcony. “The invitation still stands for the weekend. You’re more than welcome to come and stay.”

Lois looked up at him and managed a smile. “Thanks. I’ll think about it. Are you still coming to the twin’s party on Friday?”

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world.” Clark lent over to give Lois a kiss but she turned her head away from him.

“See you on Friday then four o’clock.”

“Bye, Lois. Take care.”

“Night, Clark.”

Lois checked on the children and went downstairs for a nightcap. There was a light still on in the lounge. She looked over and saw that Martha was still up.

“Martha, its gone midnight.”

“Oh, Lois, I thought I heard you. I’ve just finished reading my book. It was one those I couldn’t put down.” She looked at Lois and thought she looked a little unwell. “Are you all right, honey?”

“Oh well, let’s just say tonight wasn’t a success. Clark wants a separation.” Martha was taken back by her news. “He said that?”

“Yes. I thought we were finally getting somewhere, but tonight just proved that we have a lot of groundwork to do. He doesn’t know what he wants, Martha, and I don’t know if he’ll ever be my Clark again.”

Martha ran over to her daughter in law and put her arms around her. “Oh, sweetie. He thinks the world of you.”

“I’m not sure he does but it isn’t enough is it? For five years our lives took different paths. I don’t think either of us will ever get over what happened. We were so happy and we’d been searching a long time for it and then to have it torn away.”

“You’re both afraid it will happen again, aren’t you?”

“It’s scary, Martha. All I can do now is try and get on with things and if it changes between Clark and I then that would be fantastic.”

“Time is the greatest healer, Lois. Would you like me to talk to him?”

“No, it won’t change anything. Anyway how were the little monsters tonight?”

“I think I wore them out for the evening. They’re both excited about the party on Friday.”

Lois laughed. “Well, we had better make a good one then. Listen, I’m going to bed. I’ll see you in the morning.”

Martha laid a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “Good night, Lois.”

The day of the party came round quickly and it was chaos in the Kent household. Clark had phoned earlier to say that he had the afternoon off and that Perry and Jimmy were coming too. Lois was looking forward to seeing her old friends again. It was just what she needed.

While the twins were at school, she was busy with Martha setting everything up in the back garden. There were balloons and streamers everywhere and tables full of party food. A few hours later it was all set. Martha and Lois stepped back to admire their efforts.

“Not a bad job if I do say so myself. Now all we need is some music and. ” Lois was cut off by Perry’s loud voice. “How about some Elvis?”

Lois turned and saw her old friend smiling at her while she ran into his arms. “Perry, it’s lovely to see you. I’m so glad you could make it.”

“It looks great, you’ve done a good job. I never thought I’d see the day when Lois Lane would be organising kids parties!”

Lois poked Perry’s chest. “Cheeky. Where’s Jimmy and Clark?”

“I think they went to get Jonathan.”

“Well, I had better go and pick up the birthday boy and girl. If you’ll excuse me, Perry, I won’t be too long. I’m sure Martha will look after you.”

Perry took a seat under the tree and waved Lois off. “Sure thing, darling.”

“So, Martha. Got any Elvis Cd’s. Maybe we could have a quick dance before Lois and the kids get back. What do you say?”

Giving Perry a friendly nudge, she grabbed his hand. “You old hound dog!”

They both burst out laughing.

Kieran and Faith were waiting for her outside the school playground. “Mommy, where have you been?” shouted Faith excitedly.

“Sorry, I was talking to Uncle Perry.” Lois removed their coats and bags from them and put them in the Jeep.

“Hey look, It’s Daddy!” Kieran pointed at Clark who was walking towards them.

Clark glanced over at Lois and smiled. “Hi, Lois. I hope you don’t mind but I thought it would be nice if…”

Lois interrupted him. “It’s fine. Really.”

Clark gave the twins a hug and wished them both a happy birthday. “Are you looking forward to the party?”

“Yeah!!!” They both shouted at once.

Lois hopped into the driver’s seat. “Well, we should be getting back so they can get changed.”

Clark lifted them into the back and helped them with their seat belts. He then got in the front, next to Lois.

“Have we got Jelly and Ice Cream?” asked Kieran.

“Just wait and see sweetheart.”

They drove along without exchanging so much as a look at each other. It was becoming extremely awkward for both of them.

Clark was the one who broke the ice. “You’ve done a fantastic job Lois. The garden looks great and the food isn’t that bad either. I went to see mom before I came here and she insisted on giving me a cookie.”

Lois raised one eyebrow. “That bad?”

“C’mon. I’m being honest.”

She let out a small laugh and accepted his compliment. “Thank you. Clark.”

“How have you been?”

“Too busy to think about anything to be honest. What about you?”

“Yeah. I’ve had better days. Did Perry tell you that he’s partnered me with a new journalist?”

Lois didn’t answer for a couple of seconds. “No, I didn’t have the chance to talk much to him.”

“She seems fairly nice. I’ve got to train her up over the next few months. Her name’s Natasha James.”

At the mention of a “she” Lois’s stomach churned. The thought of Clark working with another woman sent jealousy reeling through her body. “Oh, I see.”

They pulled up outside the barn. Lois didn’t get out of the Jeep and neither did Clark. The children sat silently in the back, watching their parents.

Lois turned to her right to look at Clark. He met her gaze and was instantly struck by her beauty. “Lois, I’m sorry I thought you knew.”

“No, I didn’t,” she whispered. “We’ve got a party to go to so would you mind letting the children out of the car.”

“Sure.”

The party went really well. Especially after Superman showed up with the birthday cake. Kieran and Faith were now the most popular kids at school. After everyone had gone Lois and Clark gathered the family round to watch the twins open their presents. Faith sat in between Clarks legs and Kieran sat on her lap while Martha and Jonathan handed out the gifts. Perry and Jimmy were still munching on the left over desserts.

To anyone that was an observer they looked like the picture perfect family but looking past the façade, you could feel the tension between Lois and Clark. The expressions on their faces told a thousand words. It didn’t take long for the twins to open all the presents. Jonathan had taken over one hundred pictures with his new camera and Martha was helping Faith put her stroller together.

Perry called Lois over. “Honey, are you two OK? Is it to do with Clark’s new partner?”

“We’re having a few problems at the moment but I was shocked to hear about… Natasha?”

“I’m sorry, Lois. Recently Clark’s been finding it hard working as a one-man band, what with all his other duties. I think you’ll like her, she’s a lot like you and about your age.”

“I’ve been well and truly replaced then.”

“Clark only has eyes for you, darling.”

“So everyone keeps telling me?”

“He seems to be enjoying himself.” Perry looked over at Clark who was helping Kieran put his new train set together.

“Yeah, he’s a fantastic father and the kids love him to bits. I just wish… Oh, it doesn’t matter what I wish.”

“You’ll work it out. Hey, you may even end up having more little ones.

“That would be nice but I don’t think so Perry. I bet you never thought you’d hear me say that!”

Perry laughed out loud. “They’ve really got under you skin, haven’t they?” I can see why though. Oh, I forgot to tell you that the Daily Planet interviewed Paul Aston last week. That guy really has something.”

“I saw him a few days ago. I can’t believe he’s this big movie star. I’m really pleased for him though he’s been trying to get into the movie business for ages. I guess I did him a favour finishing with him.”

Perry put his arm around Lois. “It must have been hard for you. I can see your not happy, Lois. I hate seeing you like this.”

“I’ll be okay, don’t worry about me, Perry.”

“Well, if you need anything at all you know where I am.”

Lois thanked Perry. Somehow he always managed to make her feel a little bit better. It was getting late so the Kent’s headed back to the farm and Clark flew Perry and Jimmy back to Metropolis. Lois tidied up and put the children to bed before settling down for the evening with her book. She was about half way through the third chapter when Clark walked through the back door.

“Oh, Clark, it’s you.”

“Sorry, I’m not the movie star you’ll have to put up with Superman instead,” said Clark, sarcastically.

Rolling her eyes, she got up and poured herself a drink. “Can I get you anything?”

“Whatever you’re having is fine.”

Lois poured two glasses of red wine and handed one to Clark. “I thought we should finish the drink we were having the other night.”

“I didn’t mean to intrude on your evening. I just thought we should sort out plans for the weekend.” Clark sat down on the chair furthest away from his wife.

Lois was offended by the way he was keeping his distance from her. “Sure, we didn’t get much time to talk today. Or maybe it was a case of we didn’t have much to say to one another.”

“Lois, if this is how it’s going to be between us from now on…”

“I’m sorry. I’m just finding the whole thing really hard. Today took it all out of me, having to pretend that everything’s OK.”

Clark knew how she felt. He too had found the day hard going. Every time he looked at his parents he felt guilty and he didn’t know what to do around Lois. “So, are you coming to Metropolis for the weekend?”

“Do you think that we could spend two days together without arguing? Anyway, there’s barely any room in your apartment and I’d have nowhere to sleep.”

He hadn’t thought about that. “Well, you’d have to sleep with me and the kids can have the camp beds.”

“That’s just out of the question,” said Lois, shaking her head.

“We are married.”

“Could have fooled me.”

“Look, I know it’s not ideal but I think we need this time together as a family. Kieran and Faith will want you there. C’mon we owe it to them. You never know, it could be fun.”

Lois thought about it. The kids had been really looking forward to the weekend and she knew she couldn’t let them down but at the same time she wasn’t sure how she felt about being with Clark. “All right, I’ll come… for the kids.”

Clark smiled. “It’ll be alright. We’ll have a good time. I promise.”

Lois managed to reserve three seats on the early morning flight to Metropolis. She called Martha to let her know that she was going and packed a few things in a suitcase.

A few hours later and they were walking through the city airport, heading towards the taxi rank. The ten-minute ride to Clark’s apartment was full of excitement. The children had only ever been to Metropolis when they were babies so it was all new and it fascinated them.

“Okay, guys.” Lois gave Faith the money for the taxi and she handed it to the driver. She opened the trunk and collected their luggage. “I want you to be careful walking up the steps.”

“Yes, Mom.”

Lois laughed as she watched her two children run up the steps with their little trolleys trailing behind them. Clark must have heard them as he was as the top of the steps grinning from ear to ear. “Hey!”

“Daddy, we flew in a plane then went in a taxi through the city,” shouted Faith.

Clark took the luggage from Lois and escorted them into the apartment. “So, you’ve been having fun then?”

“Oh, yeah,” replied Kieran.

Lois went straight to the kitchen and poured herself a coffee. “They’ve been full of beans ever since we left home. I think we’re going to have our work cut out over the next couple of days.”

Kieran was pulling at her sweater “Mommy, can we go and see Uncle Perry and Uncle Jimmy?”

Clark crept up behind Kieran and picked him up. “Don’t worry, you’ll get to do everything you want. This one gets more like you every day, Lois.”

She reluctantly smiled. “I’ll just unpack and then we can get going.” Lois walked into Clark’s with her case and laid it on the bed. He hadn’t altered it much since she’d last been in there. Everything was neat and tidy, she could smell the freshly cleaned sheets. There were pictures of the children on the bedside table and one of Clark and her at the Kerth awards taken a few years back. They were happy then. It was only just the beginning of their relationship. Clark was looking at her adoringly. She stopped reminiscing and hung her clothes up next to Clark’s. She’d done this once before just after their wedding. It seemed like it was just a very nice dream long, long ago.

Clark poked his head around the door. “Everything okay?”

“Yeah, you caught me in deep thought.”

“I’ve got the kids sorted, so whenever you’re ready we can get going.”

Lois grabbed her jacket and followed behind Clark. “I’m all set now.”

The Kent family headed off to the museum in a yellow cab. It was the grand re-opening today after being closed for new exhibits and renovations. They purchased their entry tickets and followed the crowds inside.

Lois knelt down to face the twins. “Okay, guys, I don’t want you getting lost, hold each others hands and mind where you’re going. If you get lost, stay put or go to a museum guard.”

“Yes, mom,” they said in harmony.

Lois and Clark admired the lobby of the Metropolis Museum. “Wow, they’ve done a really great job in here. I hardly recognise the place, remarked Clark.

“Well, I guess Lex had to do something worthwhile with his money. I’m sure it helped him get out of prison early.”

“Yeah, the less said about him the better. Anyway, you better grab my hand in case you get lost.”

“Don’t push it, Kent,” laughed Lois.

The children were given a quiz to complete on their way round the museum. Lois thought it would help with their schoolwork, but all they seemed to be doing were arguing about whom had the right answers.

Meanwhile Clark was hearing a cry for help, he gestured to Lois that he needed to go. She waved him off and ushered the kids into the next room. There was an exhibition dedicated to Superman, featuring all his facts and feats over the past decade. She wandered around the room reading little snippets of information, not looking where she was going. She walked straight into a gentlemen, knocking his papers all over the floor.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Sir.” Lois bent down and started to gather up the papers.

“That’s quite all right Ms.. .”

Lois handed the papers to the gentleman and got the shock of her life when she saw whom she’d bumped to. “Lex!”

tbc...