Hi, remember me? Probably not, given the fact that I've been gone for ages. In any event, I've started writing a story and thought I'd share. This is a story based on the New Krypton Arc. Lois and Clark will show up soon, I promise, but some backstory was necessary.

If you need story warnings, you can find them here:

Warnings

If you'd rather remain unspoiled, read on, brave reader!

The Longest Road: Belief and Sacrifice

"On a long road, take small steps." ~ Jor El

6000 BC

The Southwestern Present Day United States

"Grandfather!" the young boy shouted as he ascended the hill. Out of breath, he stopped at the hill's peak and looked down at the village below. "Grandfather!" he called out once again. He ran barefoot through the dry grass
"What is the matter, little one?" the boy's grandfather asked as he caught the boy mid stumble on his barely controlled descent down the hill.

"Grandfather, in the sky, look!" The boy pointed upward at a dark, oddly shaped object in the sky. It moved like no bird he had seen. There was a sudden flash of light that momentarily blinded them both. Others in the village had now stopped their mundane work to look up at the unknown object darkening the sky. It began to grow in size as it approached the ground. Soon it was as if it blocked out the sky entirely. A dark shadow was cast across the village and the dry, dusty morning was suddenly replaced by night. Another, more intense flash of light followed, and the little boy turned away. He felt his old grandfather's arm clutch him close to his body. He wrapped his small arms around his grandfather's waist and prayed that the evil spirit that had spread this dark blanket over their sky would leave them alone.

The shadow receded. The strange object in the sky was gone. The village of mud brick buildings and morning cooking fires stood exactly as it had before.

Except now it was completely empty.

6000 Years Later

Palestine

A bright flash of light set the night sky on fire. Burning as bright as day, it illuminated the shepherds' fields and startled the sheep. The men sat in stunned silence, and finally turned to each other, as if to assure themselves that they'd not gone mad. The light suddenly withdrew, and their eyes no longer hurt. They focused their gazes on the now concentrated source of light, like a midnight sun, hanging brightly in the desert sky, its light shone directly on an oasis upon a hill in the distance. Screwing up their courage, the shepherds stood and began to follow the path to the oasis.

610 AD

The Arabian Peninsula

In a darkened cave upon a tall mountain, the caravan driver lay asleep, protected from the savage desert winds. A sudden bright light roused him. He sat up quickly, squinting and holding up a hand to shield his eyes from the intense light.

A voice that seemed to whisper and shout at once commanded him, "Recite." The single word reverberated through the cave, causing an immense rumbling. "Recite," the voice repeated, leaving the man trembling in fear.

"What, what do you want me to recite?" he asked timidly. He stood slowly and approached the mouth of the cave and the source of the light.

In a bright explosion of color, both the man and the light disappeared.

1477 AD

Milan, Italy

The inventor sat at his table, his head in his hands. He slowly rubbed his temples, trying to rid himself of the intense headache. He'd been suffering these pains for the past few days. They attacked unexpectedly each day and he'd begun to live his life in dread of the next attack. He looked up only to be blinded by an intense light. He squeezed his eyes shut and the images began to flash through his mind rapidly. Images of strange flying contraptions, chain driven chariots, and other things he could neither describe nor name. Gritting his teeth, he willed the pain away, and suddenly the light was gone.

March 17, 1962 AD

Eleven Light Years from Earth

The sullen man paced anxiously in the sterile white corridor. A door opened silently and he turned nervously, his heart weighed down heavily. He had waited for what seemed an eternity for news, any news. Now with a soul filled with dread he lifted his eyes to look at the man before him. "What news?" he asked, the words struggling to escape around the lump in his throat.

"Jor El, my friend," Tao Scion's thin face was drawn, his lips formed a slight frown, but his clear blue eyes were full of compassion and gentleness. The news was bad, that much was clear. "There is nothing more we can do for her, save make her comfortable in these last few hours."

Jor El felt his breath escape him as his knees grew weak. Tao Scion immediately extended a hand to steady him. Tao Scion had always been a good friend to him, and the finest doctor in the guild. "May I go see her?" he asked weakly.

"Of course. She asked for you." Tao Scion held the door open for him and he walked into the colorless, white room, trying to keep his emotions in check. She did not need to see him fall apart, she would expect him to be strong. He didn't need to magnify her fear with his own.

She lay still in the large bed, a series of small droids hovered around, keeping track of her vital signs. She looked up at him expectantly with those large hazel eyes that had the power to melt his stern and intellectual façade. She smiled at him and he felt the tears well up in his eyes.

"Father!" she said, her arms outstretched to him.

"My darling daughter," he spoke in hushed tones, gathering her tiny body up in his arms. She embraced him tightly and he kissed the top of her head. He smoothed the soft strands of brown hair away from her face as he looked at his little child. "I love you so much," he said.

"I love you, father," she whispered seriously. "Where is mother? I want to see her again."

"Your doctor has gone to get her, I sent her to get something to eat. She sat beside you all night and day and neither
ate nor slept, but now that you are awake, nothing can keep her from coming to see you."

"Father, I'm going to go to sleep and never wake up again, like your grandmother, right?"

He felt a tear slide down his cheek and shook his head. "My little one, no."

He watched as she took his large hand in her two tiny ones. "Father, you said a lie was a grievous offense, and that it harms the person who lies as well as the person to whom the lie is told." He let out a ragged sigh. Of course his precocious little six year old would find this to be the most opportune time to respond to him with his own stern lecturing.

He didn't know what to say to her. He held her little hand tightly. The door opened behind him and he turned to see his wife standing in the doorway. The tears welled up in her eyes, the same hazel eyes that his daughter looked at him with. He couldn't stand to see the pain in either of their faces and that he could do nothing to relieve that pain was slowly tearing at his insides.

"Mother!"

"My child," Lara whispered, placing her hand to her lips. The tears that had been threatening spilled over. She walked quickly to her daughter's bedside and gathered her little child up in her arms. Lara kissed her daughter's face.

"I love you, Mother, please don't cry. It doesn't hurt anymore, it doesn't hurt." She looked up at them with an odd mixture of the wide-eyed innocence of childhood and an earnest expression that belied a wisdom well beyond her years.

"I love you, Keir El, your father and I love you so much." Lara's voice quivered as she struggled to reassure her child.

Jor El embraced both his daughter and his wife, silently cursing his inability to keep them safe from harm. His entire world was in his arms and he was powerless to prevent the unthinkable from happening.

"I don't want to leave you, Mother."

"My little darling," Lara whispered. She brushed the tears away from her daughter's little face.

"Mother, please, don't cry." Keir El said, her little plea cutting straight to Jor El's heart.

"Rest, my love," he said, struggling to form the words. "Rest, my little child, don't tire yourself. Your mother and I love you." He gently encouraged her to lie back down and kissed her forehead. Lara continued to hold her hand. He took Lara's other hand in his and squeezed it gently.

He watched as his daughter lay perfectly still in the bed. Her heart rate and breathing began to falter and she closed her eyes. For hours, she struggled to breathe. He watched her slip away and he felt his heart die with her. With a loud cry, Lara began to sob. She touched the tiny face of her daughter, her expression was so calm, so peaceful, as though she was only asleep. Jor El bent down to kiss his little daughter's forehead, his body trembling. He placed his arms around his wife, they both shook with sobs as they fell to their knees. The pain in his soul overwhelmed him. There was an emptiness inside him that he knew would never be filled again. He was drowning in a sea of grief, clinging tightly to his wife, unsure whether they'd be able to save each other.

Two Years Later…

Jor El slammed his fist against his desk. "This can't be right," he muttered. He felt a pair of hands on his shoulders.

He hung his head down in defeat. "What are we to do, Lara?" he asked.

She massaged his shoulders gently. "We need to learn more before we resign ourselves to our fate."

He growled, frustrated. "Lara, what we know damns us. I've done the calculations, you've done the calculations, other scientists have confirmed it. We have to go to the Council with this, that is our only hope."

Jor El stood in the center of the large room, facing the First Ministers of Krypton. All around him sat the High Council of Elders, elevated from ground level and seated behind large lecterns. Jor El stood with his hands clasped in front of him. He had aged decades in the last two years. It was as though his soul no longer wanted to continue on with life. His face was creased with lines of worry and his eyes belied a weariness for which there was no cure.

"Esteemed councilors," he began, projecting loudly. "I began noticing anomalies in geothermal readings almost one year ago. I have consulted my colleagues who specialize in the field of geophysics. Their news is not good. Their estimations match mine. Noble ladies and gentlemen, our planet is dying."

"Are you certain of this, Jor El?" one of the councilors he did not know asked.

"I am certain, as are the other scientists. There is no doubt of it."

"How can this be?" Jor El turned toward Shai, the councilor and jurist who had asked the question. Shai was a levelheaded and sober man, with dark, hard eyes, but this news was more than enough to disturb his normally stoic expression.

"Councilor Shai, our small planet consists mainly of a slowly decaying radioactive element, covered by a crust of dense, stable rock. The radioactive nature of the planet has for many years, been our main source of heat and energy. Nevertheless it will be our undoing. The particular levels of heat and pressure exerted on this element at this time are causing it to decay very rapidly. This more rapid decay will lead to the eventual destruction of our planet, and everything on it."

"What can be done about this?" Dar Rhys demanded. She was an elder stateswoman and physician, and one of the most respected members of the High Council.

"If I might be frank, madam," Jor El began. "This planet was singularly ill suited for long term habitation. We were marooned here on this desolate space rock thousands of years ago with little concern for the long term viability of our civilization. There is no way to slow or reverse this process. Krypton is doomed. The planet is dead and it will take the greatest effort and good fortune to save its people."

"And what is it that you suggest?"

Jor El turned around again. Grim faced and tight lipped, he fixed his gaze on Rae Et's cold, calculating eyes. He felt his insides churn with anger. Bitterness crept up in his throat. "Councilor, the planet must be evacuated. It will take the work of all of our scientists and this Council to organize the exodus. We must begin building ships and preparing for the journey at this very moment. We must also seek out a suitable destination."

"My esteemed brother," Rae Et began. "You are speaking of the movement of thousands of people over millions of miles of space."

"Thousands, madam?" Jor El snapped angrily.

"Well certainly, it would take thousands of individuals to create a viable population."

"If it has slipped the councilor's memory, the population of Krypton is forty one million persons," Jor El seethed.

"And you are claiming that you'll be able to save all of them? I admire your optimism and your courage, Jor El." Rae Et barely checked her contempt for the scientist. "But pragmatism will best serve us. How long do you estimate we have left?"

"Twenty six months, maximum," Jor El responded grimly.

Rae Et stood and addressed all of her colleagues. "And in that time, we'll be lucky to save enough people to start a viable colony. If we focus on that, we can ensure the survival of our civilization. If we aim too high, noble though it may be, we risk total annihilation. We thank you for your vigilance and your service, Jor El, the survival of our way of life will be due in no small part to you."

The meeting was suspended and the councilors gathered in small caucus groups to discuss the best way to coordinate their efforts. In an out of the way corner, Jor El fumed silently. He would not be party to the connivances of that woman. The fate of their people could not be left in her hands. He needed to contact Lara. He would call their students. He hadn't wanted to inform them until after speaking with the Council, but it was now time to go to work. Though they were still ignorant of the fact, the people of Krypton were counting on them.

One Year later…

Jor El lifted his head from his desk, and glanced around the darkened room. When had he fallen asleep? And who had placed the blanket over him? He rubbed his bleary eyes and tried to stretch his stiff neck. He pushed his rapidly graying hair away from his eyes. He heard a light tapping sound originating from the other end of the laboratory. He stood from his chair and followed the sound. Lara sat in a corner under the light of a single lamp. She typed away methodically at her terminal, transcribing her results from the day. She stared at the display, giving no indication that she knew he was there. A strand of her blonde hair spilled forward and he had to resist the urge to reach out and brush it away from her face. He placed a hand on her shoulder and felt her jump.

She turned suddenly to look at him. "Jor El, you frightened me!" she exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, darling. I can see you are quite absorbed in your work."

"We did it," she said with a weary smile.

He looked at her questioningly, surely she didn't mean? "Did what?"

"We perfected the formula for the fuel source. We'll be able to travel in larger vessels at higher speeds with less fuel. We shall be able to increase maximum distance by fifteen per cent or reduce travel time." She regarded him with a weary smile.

"Lara, that is wonderful!" He kissed his wife, feeling a sense of hope for the first time in months. She stood up, wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing her slender body against his. She sighed as he deepened the kiss.

"I love you," she whispered as she buried her face against his shoulder.

"And I you, my darling," he replied. He looked into her eyes, seeing a mixture of hope and weariness and love. She reached up to touch his face. He placed his hand on hers, holding it to his cheek. She looked at him questioningly.

"Jor El, what is bothering you?" she asked.

"It is nothing," he replied, hoping that she would not see through his deceit.

"Please, do not hide it from me, my love. Your pain is mine." She took both of his hands in hers.

"Oh Lara, I am afraid," he confessed. "We still do not know if we will be successful. We have precious little time and there is still so much we must do. I fear that I will fail. I fear that I will let you down, and let our people down."

"If it were not for you, our people would have no hope at all." She looked up at him somberly, her expression one of quiet determination. "We will do everything in our power to save our people. I fear that is all that we can ask of ourselves. You have worked night and day for a year, my love, you cannot doubt that you are doing all that you can. Come, let us go to bed."

He shook his head. "There is still work to be done."

"You have slept in this laboratory every night for weeks. You have had little rest and you are exhausted. You will accomplish more tomorrow if you are well rested."

"Lara…"

"Jor El, I am tired of sleeping without you."

He wanted to protest that he wasn't tired and that he would sleep a few hours before morning, but suddenly, there was no conviction behind the argument. He, too, did not sleep well if he wasn't in his love's arms.

She stood up on her toes and kissed him again. It was a long, lingering kiss and he felt desire stir up inside him, reminding him that his love for Lara was the force that drove him. In the effort to save his world, he had neglected the most important thing in his world. He threaded his hand through her soft hair and deepened the kiss. He felt a sigh escape his lips as she withdrew. He opened his eyes with a start when he felt her kiss his neck.

"Come to bed, darling," she murmured.

"Oh Lara," he whispered breathlessly.

She looked up at him and their eyes met. "Make love with me, Jor El," she said softly, almost pleadingly. It hurt him to know that she believed she had to ask. He kissed her again before taking her hand in his, interlacing their fingers. Wordlessly they left the laboratory.

Six Weeks Later…

Jor El and his assistants stood in the hangar, examining the prototype of the launch mechanism. In another corner of the hangar, Lara and her students were gathered around the speculative plans for the fuel lines for the transports. Beside her was the chief design engineer, Mol Dai. "Because the fuel is a gel only in a very limited thermal band," Lara began. "Great care must be taken to control the…" she stopped. "To control the temp…temperatures."

Out of the corner of his eye, Jor El saw his wife falter. She leaned forward on the table to steady herself. He quickly stepped away from the group and rushed to her side.

He placed a hand upon her shoulder. "Lara, are you all right?" he asked. She closed her eyes and took a deep, shaky breath. "I will call the doctor," he said.

"No," she replied softly. She placed a hand on his. She stepped away from the table. "I will be all right," she said before turning to leave the hangar.

He followed her through the corridors but she entered a private rest facility and closed the door behind her. Perhaps she only needed a moment to herself. She had to know that he was concerned for her. She looked so pale. He had noticed it several days ago, but she had dismissed his concerns, claiming that she was fine. He would wait for her; perhaps in private she would tell him what was wrong.

He stood silently in the hallway, staring off into the distance and allowing his fears to grow and compound themselves. The door opened quietly a few minutes later and she stepped into the hall.

"Take me home, please, Jor El," she said softly.

He simply nodded and placing a hand on the small of her back to steady her, he led her out of the building. Like many of the other scientists, Jor El and Lara had moved from their home to smaller residences above their laboratories in the last year. "Can you walk, or shall I summon a transport?" he asked.

She smiled faintly at him. "I'll be all right, and it is a nice day, I'd like to walk."

They walked quietly to their quarters. It was a nice day, but Jor El was in no mood to enjoy it. Of course he'd been in no mood to enjoy it for more than a year now. He supposed that he ought not take for granted days such as this one, when the sky was a soft rose color and the little red sun shone down warmly on their world. He knew these days were limited, but that only caused him to hate nature instead of cherishing it. How dare the world fall apart on them? He found himself despising its transience. It was not supposed to be like this, he knew that for certain. He held the door to their quarters open for his wife. He immediately insisted that she sit down and she seemed amused at his concern.

"I am all right," she assured him.

He knelt beside her. "Lara, tell me, please what is wrong, Why can I not call the doctor? If you are ill, we should call Tao Scion."

"I am not ill, Jor El."

"Lara, please," he pleaded with her. "Tell me what it is."

She placed her hand on his cheek and looked at him lovingly. She smiled, but he could see tears in her eyes. He took her hand in both of his and held it to his lips. He looked at her in a silent plea.

"I am with child, my love."

He felt his breath catch in his throat. She bit her lip and smiling, nodded slightly. He felt tears spring, unbidden to his eyes. He smiled as he reached up to touch his wife's face. She leaned down to kiss him and took his hand in hers, guiding it to her abdomen. Closing his eyes, he held his hand against her stomach, thinking of the tiny child that grew within.

After Keir El's death, they had not spoken of having more children. The loss of their daughter had left gaping holes in both of their souls and time had done little to heal the wounds. As long as he had his wife, Jor El had a reason to continue living, but he knew that a part of him had died years ago when those little hazel eyes had closed for the last time, part of him that not even Lara could revive.

Having another child would require him to relive emotions that he'd tried to bury so many years before. He previously had not believed himself capable of becoming a father again. Now he faced the reality of bringing new life into a dying world.

He looked up at his wife, his lover, companion, and friend, his emotions in turmoil. "I will save this child," he whispered. "I promise you that our child will live a long, happy life."