Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#180967 01/15/06 07:13 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I've just checked out one of the stories which is eligible for the 2006 Kerth Awards, "Flying In the Fast Lane For A Day" by Chaabreh. In this story, Chaabreh is lucky enough to wake up inside the body of Lois Lane one morning, and to have Clark do all sorts of nice things to her and with her! wink And one of the things he does is take her flying. This is what Chaabreh-Lois sees when Clark is flying her over Metropolis:
Faster than my eyes can follow, we are suddenly up above the skyscrapers of Metropolis. It reminds me of the aerial view of New York City from Donald Trump's helicopter when I watch The Apprentice every week. <Hmmm.... I always wondered what city Metropolis was supposed to be. Now I have the answer to *that* question, too>.
Guess the argument is settled, huh? New York it is! Trust Chaabreh, she's the one who got to go flying over Metropolis with Clark!!! goofy

Ann

#180968 01/15/06 07:38 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Meerkat:
Anybody else think that Metropolis, according to that picture, looks an awful lot like it's located somewhere near Scranton, PA? Or is that just my imagination?
I've just tried to duplicate that angle etc. with Google Earth and it looks more like New York to me, possibly a little inland of NYC though. Unfortunately Google Earth doesn't quite let you duplicate that angle and zoom in simultaneously so I'm not 100% sure.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#180969 01/19/06 01:11 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I always thought Joe Schuster was Canadian! Wasn't he?

Anyway, I agree with Ann on the idea that metropolis was sort of a figurative New York, just because it was THE place at the time.

#180970 01/20/06 02:18 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
now see it look like around new york
like just say the outer part
One time they metion New Troy????

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
#180971 07/07/06 01:59 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
heh ive always thought Metropolis is New York blush
but they did mentioned New York (as a different state) in one of the episodes(TMOSB?)
i do have a question, kinda dumb though
i remember Clark saying something like,
"a little louder, i dont think they heard you in Gotham City"
is there a Gotham City or its just him being sarcastic?
thanks. smile

You're the icing on my cake.
What's that?
Chocolate, of course.
--
#180972 07/07/06 02:24 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There's Gotham City... in the comic world. wink

From the Wikipedia :

Gotham City is a fictional city appearing in DC Comics, and is best known as the home of the Batman. Batman's place of residence was first identified as Gotham City in Detective Comics #48 (February 1941); before then, Batman's adventures happened in either New York City or an unnamed city. Gotham is known to be architecturally modeled after New York or Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but with more exaggerated vices. The name Gotham is an old nickname of New York, popularized by author Washington Irving.

In terms of how Gotham City's atmosphere is usually depicted, it has been said by some that, metaphorically, Metropolis (home to Superman) is "New York during the day", and Gotham is "New York at night". This comparison is helped by the fact that Metropolis is more often seen during the day, and Gotham more at night (due to Batman's MO). Longtime Batman writer and editor Dennis O'Neil has also said figuratively that Metropolis is New York above 14th St. on a sunny summer day, and that Gotham City is New York below 14th St. on a cold, rainy November night. Within the comics themselves, however, New York, Metropolis and Gotham City all exist as separate cities.
And Metropolis:
Metropolis is a fictional city that appears in comic books published by DC Comics, and is the home of Superman. Metropolis first appeared by name in Action Comics #16, in 1939.

The co-creator and original artist of Superman, Joe Shuster, modeled the Metropolis skyline after both Toronto, Ontario (where he was born), and Cleveland, Ohio (where he later lived and met co-creator Jerry Siegel in high school). Since then, however, it has become a fictional analogue of New York City.

The real town of Metropolis, Illinois, has proclaimed itself the "hometown of Superman," and celebrates its "local hero" in every possible way that it can. Among the ways it celebrates the character include a large Superman statue in the city, a small Superman museum, an annual Superman festival, and its local newspaper The Metropolis Planet, a name inspired by the major newspaper in fictional Metropolis, The Daily Planet.
Andreia smile

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#180973 07/07/06 02:47 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ok seeing as were on the topic of geograhpy here theres one thing I've always been curious about. Metropolis is in the state New Troy right? And I remeber watching the cartoon Stotic Shock, also from the DC world I believe, and it was mentioned that they lived in Dekota. No north or south just Dekota. So does this mean DC wants us to believe that there's more than 50 states or are the states in the DC universe substituting some of the real ones?

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
#180974 07/07/06 05:55 AM
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
New Troy was only a state on LnC. In the comics, New Troy is a borough of Metropolis (it is to Metropolis as Manhattan is to New York). As for Static Shock, Dakota is the city they live in, not the state.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
#180975 07/07/06 06:00 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
thanks for the info Andreia. thumbsup
great! smile
although wat i actually meant to ask was if there is Gotham City in Superman world or more precisely, Lois and Clark tv-world
because when Clark said to Lois
"a little louder, i dont think they heard you in Gotham City". i assumed that there is Gotham City in their world,(or maybe its just a sarcastic comment from Clark)
but that lead me to think that if there is Gotham then there is Batman, (really dumb isnt it?)
and i also know that Batman was mentioned in one of LnC episode, UltraWoman, right? and that lead me again to think that there are 2 heroes or maybe in LnC world Batman is like a fictional character.
i dont know. im reaching here, really
also Ambar hav a point there about having more than 50 states

What's that?
Chocolate, of course.
--
#180976 07/07/06 06:02 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
It really depends on which universe you're looking at. For instance, for Lois & Clark, Metropolis exists in the state of New Troy. However, in the comic universe (which I believe Static Shock exists in), New Troy is a borough of Metropolis, such as Manhattan is a borough of New York City (and is actually analogous to Manhattan).

Searching around, I found this map (taken from the DC Universe atlas, possibly) which shows the location of Metropolis in Delaware. All 50 states show up when I look at the map.

Are there 50 or 51 states in the L&C universe? The world may never know. laugh

Edit: heh. It's fun when we all post at once. rotflol

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#180977 07/07/06 06:24 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
GaAh! that map got me more confused
youre right
It really depends on which universe you're looking at

ill stop now

What's that?
Chocolate, of course.
--
#180978 07/07/06 07:01 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
gotham city is new jersey i have a hard time believing that.

#180979 07/07/06 07:01 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
gotham city is new jersey i have a hard time believing that.

#180980 07/07/06 07:37 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
In the Superman FILMS - Metropolis is New York. Of course I think it is left to interpretation in other areas (TV, comics, etc.) - but in the films, most certainly Metropolis = NYC. Don't believe me? How about the Statue of Liberty and the World Trade Center making an appearance in the Reeve films (I still tear up when Supes and Lois fly by the twin towers). wink So to me, Metropolis has always been NYC. Just my thoughts. laugh

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#180981 07/07/06 07:27 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
To me Metropolis=New York too or it used too anyway. It always seemed to me from the movies that the skyline and the buildings where from New York but I just saw the Superman Returns movie and they do actually show Metropolis in Delaware.

oh btw thanx Karen for clearing up the state thing for me

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard