Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ladyluck1128 - Maybe Clark just tells his optometrist that he likes how he looks in glasses and so he goes to an optometrist to get the good/stylish frames - but they don't have an actual prescription in them. His optometrist wouldn't tell anyone that his eyes weren't really bad.

Just a thought. I remember girls back in highschool who wore stylish glasses because they liked how they looked in them.

That would be another reason (besides someone recognizing him with his glasses off) that he wouldn't want Jimmy to try his new glasses on in Top Copy, Jimmy would realize there was no prescription in them. Tee hee. Okay, I know, I'm 'reaching'.

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree with C_A. Clark was always making smart remarks in the series. Like in the Prankster when she stays at his apartment and the next morning they are going to go on an interview and she asks if she can go home and change clothes (I think she's in sweats and her hair is in a pony tail, obviously she needs to change first) and Clark says yes that he knows how you senior journalists have an image to maintain. He says it in a smart alec tone.

He was geniuinely concerned about her the night before. We had that sweet little couch scene with them, and then the next morning he was being smart with her. That's just part of Clark. His funny/ornery little quips.

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That's just part of Clark. His funny/ornery little quips.
It's also part of what Lois needs in him (and I think wants, too, although perhaps not consciously to begin with). Can you imagine what that ego would be like without Clark to bring her down a peg or two? Well, we don't have to imagine - that's how she got the tag Mad Dog Lane back at the Planet. wink

Lois needed Clark to prick her ego now and then. He did it in a way that wasn't mean, but was effective in making her think about how she behaved and what she said and constantly challenged her perceptions of herself. And she was the better person for it.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The basketball scene with Bo...in the Season 1

CK not wearing his glasses, his CK hair style, his clothes, but he flies....

Hello...DUH!!!!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay now I'll agree with that one CK 9397. goofy That one has *always* bothered me.

They did other sports themed *teasers* at the beginning of episodes. Like the one where Clark plays baseball with himself (he plays all the positions) and the one where he is at the practice range with Lois and hits the golf ball too hard. But in both of those (I think) he was at least still wearing his glasses.

I wanted to say "duh" Bo, how dumb are you? At least Lois had the glasses thing to fall back on. goofy

Blogger
Blogger
i thought the whole Lex Luthor giving clone Superman a piggy back was a bit out there

Jack - seriosuly underused, don't you think?
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ha ha ha! Definitely one of Luthor's less debonaire acts. But he played *corny* a few other times. Like when he had conversations with himself, or when he sang the song about 'looking for the silver lining' in every cloud with Nigel.

Blogger
Blogger
I think that just gave a slightly "human" (?) side to Lex so that we know he is a person...maybe...somewhere deep down...perhaps.

Mmmm...pie.
Blogger
Blogger
Okay, I noticed this today, and I was so excited about finding it I just HAD to post it. In Wall of Sound, when Lois and Clark are first looking into Stoke and Camden, watch Lois' computer screen as she summarizes info for Clark. Teri's lines are written out ON THE SCREEN! Kinda bugged me that it was so blatant. oh well. It was funny.

Mmmm...pie.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
ladyluck, I completely agree with the Chen Chow thing. When Lois asks him how he knows Clark, the way he hesitates before he answers and the tone in which he responds that they go to the same optometrist had me shouting at the screen, "He knows!" I'm sure that Clark and Chen know each other from some other shared experience in the past, perhaps to do with Clark's travels in China? Sounds like an idea for fanfic...

Has anyone done this fic, by the way?

If we're ranting about discrepancies on the show, I always had a problem with TEHI and the whole ultraviolet light and infrared light thing. I mean, hello? Infrared light is heat, duh! It was just bad science all the way through.

And in Top Copy, when Superman is dying of Kryptonite poisoning and the doctor tries to explain that it's "spreading like a cancer," and Lois has the brilliant idea of sending him into a nuclear reactor to cure him. I wanted to cry with frustration -- if he was exposed to kryptonite, he'd no longer be invulnerable to the radiation, for one, and for another, the concept of curing poisoning with radiation is just so wrong! Chelate it... dialyse it... but for heaven's sake, don't nuke him while his powers are gone!

But, since we are, after all, watching a science fiction show in which a guy can fly and shoot laser beams out of his eyes, I guess I can suspend some disbelief and just enjoy the show wink

-JudeM

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
--Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
And another one -- it looked like Clark was put into the ship as a newborn and was at least a few months old when he reached Earth. How did Jor-El and Lara get around the problems of feeding the infant on the journey? Better yet, how about the other, messier issue? Now see the Amazing Kryptonian Automatic Diaper-Changer! Gotta get me one of those smile

I like the idea of him being sent as a foetus undergoing gestation during the journey. Someone posted that info a little ways up this thread.

I think I may have gone slightly OT with this, but bad science just bugs me. Sorry smile

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
JudeMustard -

That's why it's called Science Fiction/Fantasy. laugh Or why it's called Lois & Clark, and not CSI. wink

No, but seriously, I totally understand where you are coming from...I just love the show so much for it's romance and chemistry, (and a good laugh) that I give it a very wide berth when it comes to realism. It is, after all, a show about a super hero with super powers who does super things. We can let it bend the rules a little bit - I mean, come on, time travel? Alt-universes? Soul swapping?

Enjoying it for all it is and *isn't* - That's what it's all about. Tee hee. laugh

Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by JudeMustard:
I always had a problem with TEHI and the whole ultraviolet light and infrared light thing. I mean, hello? Infrared light is heat, duh!
I'm not sure why that matters. But the simple fact that UV and IR light are not "opposites" in any meaningful way, and one would not reverse the other . . .
It was just bad science all the way through.
Oh, yeah!

But, since we are, after all, watching a science fiction show in which a guy can fly and shoot laser beams out of his eyes, I guess I can suspend some disbelief and just enjoy the show wink
Comic-book physics! laugh

And another one -- it looked like Clark was put into the ship as a newborn and was at least a few months old when he reached Earth. How did Jor-El and Lara get around the problems of feeding the infant on the journey? Better yet, how about the other, messier issue? Now see the Amazing Kryptonian Automatic Diaper-Changer! Gotta get me one of those smile
Suspended animation, with an awakening sequence triggered by (choose one) the impact of landing, the pod being opened, entering a planet's gravitational pull.

Yeah, the scientific nonsense was annoying. Then again, it wasn't all that much worse than Star Trek, and there's a book explaining how that might work (although it involves a whole bunch of hand-waving wink ). Closest we seem to have is this .

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Jude, we just watched Top Copy Saturday night on IRC, and the same thing bugged me, too. However, the writer tried to cover it with a couple of things: when Clark was on the phone with his parents, he refused to go to the hospital because "the needles would break on [his] skin." So even though he was losing his powers, he retained his invulnerability, so dialysis wasn't an option.

Nan Smith did an excellent job of showing what the doctors could have done to help Superman, but I wonder how much good purges, etc. would have done 12 to 16 hours after ingesting the poison. Someone who knows more about it can probably point out how wrong I am, but I was under the impression that anything he swallowed would already be in the bloodstream by that point. It would have been more logical for his invulnerability to have failed so the doctors could have helped him with dialysis, if nothing else. But the emotional point of that scene was that Lois saved him when no one else could.

Personally, I think it would have been better to have the doctor mention that they'd tried all the purges, etc., but that the kryptonite was already in his bloodstream, so they weren't able to wash it out. If he had mentioned that they still couldn't pierce Sman's skin in order to cleanse his blood, the medical system wouldn't have sounded quite so ineffectual. On the other hand, there probably wasn't time for that within the 45 minutes of the show, so I'll imagine that that is what the doctor was telling L&S before the start of that particular scene. wink

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Sheila, you watch episodes on IRC?? How does that happen -- everyone watches at the same time while discussing it on IRC? I'd like to know more about this! smile

Nan Smith did an excellent job of showing what the doctors could have done to help Superman
Was this in a fanfic, and where can I find it?

I agree with you; purges wouldn't have helped much after so many hours, and I realise that the point was supposed to be that Lois was able to think of a way to help him when no one else could. Since it is a science fantasy show, I just have to accept that the science in the TV show universe is different from ours wink

It just bugs me sometimes, when things are blatantly wrong, and detracts from my enjoyment of the whole scene. I have a doctor friend who can't stand to watch medical dramas, cos she'll see a chest x-ray up on the light box the wrong way around (i.e. left and right inverted) or there'll be a CT scan of the head on the box while they're talking about an abdominal cancer or something, and she, like me, will get so completely distracted by that that she can't concentrate on the dialogue anymore.

Actually, this is probably why I get stuck when I'm trying to write fanfic. I'll come up with an idea, and then insist that it has to be realistic and feasible before implementing it -- hence, the story never gets written!

But yes, I am aware that it's a comic book show, and not a medical drama, and the whole point is the interaction between our beloved characters, and not the science behind the A-plots.

Waitaminute. A-plots? What're those?? wink

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Sheila, you watch episodes on IRC?? How does that happen -- everyone watches at the same time while discussing it on IRC? I'd like to know more about this!
Yes, exactly! Find out more here.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Jude, since the DVDs came out last summer, a group of us gather on #lanekent on IRC to watch L&C on Saturday nights at 9 pm Eastern, 6 pm Pacific, just as we used to when the series was on. We don't get started right at the stroke of the hour, and we usually do a 30 second countdown so everyone can start their DVD players at the same time. Then we make comments about what we see, what we love, what bugs us, little things we never noticed before, etc. There isn't a password on #lanekent on Saturday night for the viewings, so everyone is free to watch with us.

Nan Smith's story is called Partners if you want to read it.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks, just read it!

I love the idea of watching the dvd's together on IRC, but unfortunately, it would be 9am on Sunday mornings for me, which is exactly the time I need to be making my way to church. Oh well. smile

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Is that on undernet, irchighway, or efnet or what?

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Is that on undernet, irchighway, or efnet or what?
Undernet. Go here for instructions on how to get there.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard