Last time

After she left, Lois stood watching the door a few long moments. Oh my god. We did it. We really did it. No turning back now.
[tbc]

And now…

She took in a deep breath, and then turned to face her fiancé.

“Wow… we … we did it!”

He smiled at her. “Overwhelming - isn’t it?”

“Yeah. I mean – it’s good. It’s great. It’s… it’s just weird. Because Cat’s right. A lot of people are going to really question your sanity when they find out you’re marrying me of all people.”

“Lois – the people who know you will understand. Those who don’t – well… in the end, you can’t let others … interfere in how you live your life. We just have to do what we think is right for us.”

“I know. I – just don’t want to be the villain of this piece even if I do kind of deserve it.”

“Not from where I’m standing.”

“You’re standing all the way over there.”

He grinned and then walked over to her. “This better?”

“Hmmm. How about this?” She stepped into his embrace and rested her head against his solid warmth.

“You sure you don’t want to go out and enjoy your last moments of not being harassed by the press?”

“Out – as in out – on a date?”

“I meant alone – you sure you don’t want to just go out alone and – “

“Oh. I’m very sure.”

“Did you want to go out on a date?”

She flushed. “No. No. I’m just not ready for… being mobbed. I know it will happen, but… maybe it’s better if I’m alone the first time I venture out after it hits the stands.”

“Well then – did you want me to make you dinner?”

She grinned at him. “”I was waiting for you to ask. Although – I think maybe I owe you one?”

She saw a look flicker in his eyes. Trepidation.

“It’s okay, Clark – it’s okay for me to do things for you – you know – domesticated things… nowhere does it resemble servitude in this kind of a relationship.

“Well… good… but I was… well – never mind.”

“You weren’t worried about that, were you?”

“No – I mean – that’s a lot of it…”

“Are you afraid of my cooking?”

“Lois. Your cooking is legendary… I heard some really – interesting stories from Perry and Alice.”

“You know – if you’re supposed to take the pizzas out of the plastic wrap before cooking them – they should specify that in the instructions.”

“But - plastic… in the oven….”

“Yeah, but you can put it in the microwave, and it doesn’t melt there.”

“I know – but – “

“I thought it was special plastic – you know – space-age and all that – don’t laugh at me!”

“I’m not. Really. I guess – yeah… what you say makes sense…”

“Right. Okay. I know. But you know – that was a very long time ago. I’ve learned a few things since then.”

“Like?”

“Plastic melts.”

He started laughing. “Okay. Okay. I’m sorry. I – I know – stop laughing. If you want to cook, go ahead. I’ll – I’m sure it’ll be – “

“I never said I wanted to. I just said I should.”

“I like cooking. I really do – so if you don’t want to – then I’m happy to do it.”

“Really? Because – I don’t want to – “

“What…”

“Push you into a role – the one who always cooks… and lifts heavy stuff… and – “

“Neither of those things bothers me at all.”

“I know. And I bet you clean really fast too.”

“Well… yeah. I guess I do.”

“That doesn’t leave me with much to do.”

“You write the brilliant stories.”

“But you do that too.”

“But it’s as hard for me to do those things as it is for you. The other stuff is easy. So I’m actually taking the lazy way out.”

“You mean you’re really lazy? You should have told me this before we went public with this thing.”

“I guess I should have mentioned it.”

“You know – I don’t have much by way of food. Why don’t I go get – what is it? What’s wrong…?”

“Fire, Lois – on the other side of Metropolis. A tenement house. I have to go – “

“Go! Go! I’ll be fine – come back here when you’re done.”

He hugged her quickly and then stepped away. In a whirl, Superman stood there.

He smiled at her. "Love you!" And then, he was off.

Lois stood alone – marveling at the strange nature of her life. Here one minute. Gone, literally the next. But – he’ll come back. And that’s all that matters in the end. So. I need to get food… and I also think I want to hit the gym – so… gym first… food later… evening edition will be out in a few hours, so I have enough time to get what I need and get back before getting mobbed.

She quickly changed into gym gear, and made her way out the door.

Lois entered through the doors of her very trendy gym. She had chosen this gym because a lot of politicians and celebrities went here. It was a good way to pick up on the pulse of what was happening in certain circles. Right now, she was grateful because it also afforded her a measure of privacy. Although the news of her and Clark’s engagement was still a blissful secret for a few more short hours, she was still the subject of a lot of gossip and speculation… both because she had launched her campaign against Clark, and because she had been seen with him a lot in the last few months. But people here would not come right up to her and ask her about it. There was an unspoken social rule in the gym that you didn’t harass your fellow patrons. Although Lois was the press, she never infringed on people when they were here, and she was guessing she would get the same courtesy.

She was unprepared to find Lana Lang on the elliptical trainer.

Oh. Now, if this isn’t gossip worthy… I just don’t know what is.

She was a little dismayed to see her friend there – both because of the gossip potential, and also because she didn’t want to inadvertently confide in Lana about her idea about having Clark do some evil-Kal role playing. Will I be able to play it cool with her? She’s so perceptive.

Lana saw her, and gave her a big smile. She didn’t however stop her own workout, and attempt to invade Lois’s space. She felt it was important that Lois make her own choice as to whether or not to approach her.

Lois moved in towards where the trainers were, and gracefully stepped into the one to the right of Lana.

“Hey you,” she said with a shy smile. “I didn’t even know you went here.”

“Same here! I think it’s really great we go to the same gym! Maybe we can motivate each other to come more. Although you don’t look like you need the motivation!”

“Neither do you. But for me - it has been a while. I’ve been doing a lot of yoga at home, and I haven’t needed to worry about fat… I’m still trying to put weight back on.”

“You look fantastic, Lois,” she said.

“I need more… definition. I’m planning on going back to my old regime – including the self defense stuff. That was always fun.”

“Boxing?”

“Tae Kwon Do, actually.”

“Oooo. Kickboxing. Real kickboxing – not just the cardio version.”

“Yeah. It’s come in handy on more than one occasion.”

“You do live dangerously sometimes.”

“But I like boxing too – do you spar at all? Because if you do – we could be sparring partners.”

“The press would love that Lois. Can you just imagine a photo of the two of us facing off?”

She laughed. “That would be pretty funny! Speaking of the press – we gave our interview to Cat, so… soon – things… might get weird – even for you – our having this conversation now… well – it’s one thing… but after… “

“Listen. I’ve been through quite a bit with the press myself… being engaged to Clark, and then having it all fall apart… oh boy, it’s been a ride…”

“I’m sure it has. I’m sorry. That had to have been hard… “

“The woman who Superman jilted. Yeah.”

“Is that how it looked?”

“Publicly. Nobody would ever believe that it was a mutual thing – what woman in her right mind, after all, would jilt this gorgeous man that so many women wanted.”

“Sorry again,” she said, feeling guilty, even though she had no reason.

“No… I’m not. It wasn’t fun to go through, but now, it’s over, and things are better.”

“Well. Good.”

“Are you – worried at all – about the press?”

“Well, I am the press – so I know – I know what to expect… so. Yes. Terrified. But you know – what can I do about it? Nothing. So – I’ll just get through it – like you did. Eventually they’ll lose interest… I hope.”

Forty-five minutes later, the women both stepped off their trainers.

“Did you want to lift?”

“No. I was planning on getting some groceries at the markets, and then heading back home. Clark had to go away on a rescue, but he promised to cook dinner – so… I’m here to do my part.”

“Oh. Clark’s cooking. You’ll have to really keep your gym habit with him in your life. I think I lost ten pounds after our relationship ended – not because I was unhappy, but because I wasn’t being fed like that anymore.”

“Thanks for the warning.”

“Well, I’m heading out too. Want company? There’s this little cheese shop at the markets that I’ve been eager to go investigate.”

“Yeah! I’d love it!!”

The two women ignored the furtive glances and hushed whispers and made their way to the locker room. Twenty minutes later, they hit the pavement, and headed towards the market. En route, they were subjected to even more stares.

“Forget them,” said Lana. “They’re just in awe of our beauty.”

Lois laughed at that. “Yeah. Here in Metropolis, where models and actresses are plentiful… but… okay – I’ll be happy enough to believe that!”

Lois was having such fun bantering with Lana that she failed to see the young man on the rollerblades who had suddenly lost control after swerving to avoid hitting another person on a scooter. Before she knew what was happening, she was on the ground, looking up in confusion at the man who had knocked her down. Voices were all around her as people crowded in. Her mind started to buzz and spin in the confusion, and she was hardly aware of Lana crouching by her side asking nervously if she was all right.

She put her hand up to shield the sun from her eyes and squinted at the man who stood in her line of sight. He was tall, dark haired, well built, and wearing black.

Lord Kal!

Her mind went spinning into a black hole as the panic attack overtook her. She pulled in on herself, trying to make herself as invisible as possible, and she began to whimper. Oh god! Oh god! Oh god!

The man bent towards her – reaching out a hand to help her up, but all she could do was cringe away from him in terror. She didn’t even hear Lana asking the man to give her some space.

“It was an accident,” he said nervously. “Really! I didn’t mean - I didn’t do it on purpose – I – I – “

Before anyone could say anything further, Clark arrived… or rather… Superman did. He landed urgently and then approached her carefully.

“Lois?”

She shook her head, which was now buried in her hands. “No – oh no… oh no… this isn’t happening.”

“Lana – what happened?”

“Nothing – it was just an accident – he knocked her down – but it was just an accident.”

The man was looking at him now, fear in his eyes. Am I going to jail for this? And didn’t I read that these two might be dating? Oh my god – I just pushed down Superman’s girlfriend! “Listen – listen – superman – I didn’t mean – I – “

Clark looked over at him. Damn. I wish I were dressed like Clark. Not only is this guy all freaked out about how I’m going to react, and maybe I can thank my clone for that… but now Lois might freak out when she sees me, and that will really upset her later on. It can’t be helped. If I change, it’ll draw attention to the fact that she finds Superman upsetting sometimes. Listen to me. Talking about both my identities in the third person.

“I think… I think she knows that,” he said carefully, trying to calm the man down.

Lana ran a gentle hand down Lois’s arm.

“Lois. LOIS. Can you hear me?”

“I – I – I – “

“Can you here me? It’s Lana. Lana Lang. Can you focus – focus on my voice? Who am I?”

“La- Lana.”

“We were at the gym, remember? And now we were headed to the markets? You fell down. That’s all. It was an accident. This guy here - - he didn’t mean it. “

She opened her eyes fearfully and saw the blurry dark-clad shape. “No – No – that’s – that’s him – that’s – “

“Just a guy – on rollerblades. Really.”

Reality trickled in. Oh my god. This isn’t happening. Am I really having a panic attack? Here? On the streets of Metropolis?

“And Clark’s here. Superman’s here,” whispered Lana in her ear. “He’s afraid to come too close, but he’s trying not to draw attention to that fact. Can you keep it together for a few moments longer? We’ll get you out of here, but just try to remember – this is Clark… not Kal.”

Oh no. I can’t even believe this. I’ve made a huge scene – a huge scene…

Lois looked around her and saw the crowd of onlookers. She saw Clark. Superman. Her heart sank in dread. Kal would have been so angry if I had done something like this.

“Oh… oh god…. “

Oblivious now of the crowd, needing to connect with Clark, she looked up at him, grief in her eyes and voice.

“I’ve made such a scene… I’ve…” She stopped, expelling a frantic breath. “I – I “

Clark sensed that she wanted him to come over to her. Damn it. I’m doing it. I’m changing into my street clothes. Superman blurred practically into invisibility, and then Clark was there. He ignored the gasps of amazement, and approached the woman he loved. He crouched down in front of her. “Lois? You okay?”

She looked at him. “I made a fool of myself – and – I drew attention – and – I – I made a big scene – “

“It’s okay,” he said quietly. “You're fine. You're fine – and that’s all that matters.” His voice was very gentle as he tried to reassure her.

“I – I – “

He reached a tentative hand out to her, to stroke her arm, and she leaned into him. If there was any doubt about their relationship in the eyes of the onlookers, this moment would clear that up. These two people were clearly together.

“Want me to help you up?” His voice was low, near her ear. For her hearing only.

“Yeah – just a little tug, Okay? I don’t want to look helpless- more so than I already do.”

He helped her stand up without making it overtly look like he was doing so. She stepped away a few inches and looked around her, as if seeing the world for the very first time.

Oh god. This is the most… humiliated…

The man who had collided into her was still there, and she could feel his fear and nervousness coming off in waves. She forced herself to find a calm space deep within, and put a reassuring smile on her face as she turned to him.

“I’m sorry,” she said, her voice surprising even her in it’s even and calm tones. “I – I’m suffering from post traumatic stress disorder,” she said in a matter-of-fact way. “It sometimes causes me to have flashbacks or panic attacks – and our collision just triggered one. I’m really sorry for upsetting you. I know that it was an accident. So does everyone else here.”

“I – I – thank you,” he gasped out. “I didn’t mean – I’d never push a girl down – I – “

She smiled. “I know. I’m really sorry I made you feel bad.”

“Oh. No. It’s okay. It really is.”

“Good… then… we can all… you know… disperse,” she said, speaking to the crowd around them. “Come on… disperse… there’s a good crowd.”

Clark watched her in awe as she slipped into her sarcastic/caustic mode to get the crowd to break up. She’s an artist.

Deciding that she’d already lost her anonymity, she linked one arm with Clark’s, and her other arm with Lana’s, and spoke loudly and brightly. “Okay – lets finish that shopping trip. Clark - you’re coming?”

[tbc]

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence