Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Hello everyone! The fundraising team has great news and mixed news for you.

The great news: We have raised enough so far in early donations to start the board upgrade immediately! party

The mixed news: The boards will be down for approximately 6-8 hours on Friday, April 25, to complete the upgrade. wallbash

We know this is right in the middle of the auction bidding, so please don't freak out on us. smile Just know that YOU have helped make it possible for us to continue to offer great fanfic and discussion on these message boards.

We'll keep you posted if we learn anything else that you need to know. Right now, all we know is "Friday", so keep your fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly. smile

Kathy

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[img]http://tinyurl.com/n33xodx[/img]

In all seriousness, though, looking forward to the new and improved boards! Awesome news!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
dance

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by KathyB:
<strong>The mixed news: The boards will be down for approximately 6-8 hours on Friday, April 25, to complete the upgrade. clap I'm glad our fundraiser is already working! dance

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
hyper

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., Out of curiosity, what sort of upgrades will be taking place?

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I was going to wait till more towards the end to donate, also...

And pretty much like what you said, Lynn--I have a set amount in mind, just trying to figure out what I want to do with that amount when I donate laugh . And thought waiting would diminish the amount of transactions...

I'm constantly impressed by this fandom--how amazingly nice, thoughtful, and friendly everyone is. Seeing this fundraiser come together, I'm even more impressed clap .

Laura

(Oh--and I'm anxiously awaiting the ability to order a t-shirt dance )

KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Luckily bidding goes through Sunday afternoon (1pm ET) so a little down time in the middle shouldn't affect the schedule. But it's good incentive to get those bids in now, LOL.

As for details on the upgrade, I'll have to defer to Annette on that one. I'm just the money person; she's the one with all the techie knowledge. goofy

Kathy

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey guys!

I'm not expecting any huge cosmetic changes but a lot of things on the back.

Cosmetically, will be the addition of using a Captcha confirmation during the new using registration process, which will eliminate a lot, and I mean A LOT, of spam.

On the back end I'm expecting us to move to a database system instead of the file system we are currently on.

Right now what happens every time a new thread is started, a new file is created on the web server. So thinking about all the threads we have there's a txt based file for every single one of them. That's a lot of space being used.

This is a big change for us and I will have everything backed up just before they start the upgrade.

Matter of fact. I think I will shut the boards down around 8 AM EST time, run the back up and leave them in an "off" state until I get the go ahead that the upgrade is completed.

If UBB gives me an earlier start time expect the time I shut off the boards to change.

When and if I get more information from UBB I'll be sure to pass it on to all of you.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Annette,

Thanks for the info.

We'll see how many of us have withdrawal symptoms. (Hmmm... That sounds like it could almost be the basis of some sort of fund-raising slogan. Maybe for the next go-round.)

Joy,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Just spoke to UBB and they plan on starting at 12 EST. The 8 AM shut off will remain so I can run a manual back up of everything related to the site just before they start.

Thanks for hanging in there on this.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great news! Way to band together, FoLCs!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
Argh! I can't do without LnC for that long. Guess I'll be on the archive reading then.

I was also hoping to start posting a new story on Fri evening. *laughs* Guess I shouldn't have put it off for so many weeks. It's been 'almost' ready for quite a while but I've taken just a little too long in editing it.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yikes! No LnC for over five hours!? whinging

That means I can finish concentrating on my garden and painting? Nyahhh!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Will miss the message boards tomorrow while they are down (but probably, I'd assume, have a much more 'productive' day around the house b/c of it grumble --me whilst in the process of cleaning the house) when I get on the updated boards then tomorrow night ( party --me getting back on the boards)

Thanks everyone for all the maintenance involved with keeping folc-dom alive and kicking smile

Laura

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I received an update from UBB, the update has been moved to 4 PM EST. This means I will leave the boards up until 12 PM EST.

Thank you

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard