Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#170014 02/03/14 05:54 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
After reading a fair amount of LnC fanfic, I realized that there doesn't seem to be much profanity in it (at least not compared to what one might read in some fandoms). That brought me to the question of what is and is not acceptable in fics on this site.

How much swearing is acceptable? Are any words strictly off-limits, or does it depend on the context?

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#170015 02/03/14 06:57 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I know (more by hearsay than actually coming across it) that this website has an auto censor should an inappropriate word be used (especially on the Gfic side) it will *** it out. I've seen some authors who will * out one letter of a word so not to offend, and that for words allowed on network TV. hyper

I saw a film this weekend in which it hit it's R rating in the first 5 seconds of the movie due to proficient use of foul language, and I was sorely tempted to turn it off had it continued down that road. (The film improved after that first scene. I wondered, since it was a VERY dark and bloody comedy, it was to chase off anyone with a weak stomach because what happened visually was much worse than the language. It almost seemed like a warning from the scriptwriter that if you can't handle the first page of my story, your life would be better if you stopped now.)

I've never enjoyed listening to excessive profanity, although there have been times in my life (when I was much younger and not yet a mother) when a good swear word seemed exactly how I felt, but I've grown up enough to have moved past that stage in my life. Plus, if anyone hasn't told you yet, that the best way to hear profanity is to say it in front of your kids, because they are little sponges and will willingly oblige to repeat you at the worst possible moment. (Like that scene in the Christmas Story where the mother has just washed little Ralphie's mouth out with soap and she asks him where he learned that foul word. Instead of saying the truth -- i.e. his father -- he threw one of his best friends under the bus. lol )

Even over on the Nfic boards, it is only rarely that foul language occurs. I could probably count on one hand the number of stories which I've read that the writer used more than one swear word.

We have a good group here on the message boards, and creative writers who don't need to resort to it for shock value. For that, I'm very grateful.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#170016 02/03/14 11:55 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Anne,

I'll second Virginia whole heartedly on this. It really goes back to the characters we are portraying.

Also there is an old saying - An individual that needs to resort to profanity and vulgarity is demonstrating that they have a fundamental lack of command of the English language.

If you can't express something without resorting to that style of writing, you shouldn't be.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
#170017 02/04/14 12:13 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Traditionally, FoLCDom pretty much held such things as taboo. There was a large core of fans who felt that the Superman character was a family-friendly icon and as such should be portrayed strictly as PG. Nfic, back then, was also a source of contention and the subject of many a flame war. wink Along with any theme or subject matter that was considered out there.

Things have lightened up considerably these days, but I don't think there's much appetite for hardcore profanity. I'm in agreement that's no bad thing, in the main.

As far as it being OOC, Lois, of course, is a bit of a potty mouth - according to Perry's account of her skiing accident laugh So anything up to PG13 probably suits her on the gfic side of the boards. goofy

I think there may be some guidence on what's taboo in the FAQS for the mbs.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#170018 02/04/14 12:40 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Ironically, I've written more (very mild) swearing in my fanfic than I use in RL. There are times where Perry is 'telling' me that he would preface a remark with 'H*ll,' and so I write that to keep him in character. In RL, I would reserve that word for religious discussions.

In RL, I have averaged perhaps one swear word per decade of my life.

Joy,
Lynn

#170019 02/04/14 02:53 AM
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I agree. I think swearing can be done "off camera" better in most cases anyway.

i.e. Solar Eclipse - Irene Dutch

"What? What is it?" she asked impatiently.

"It's her. At least, I think it is," Clark said, a quizzical expression on his face.

Vicky suddenly snickered as her father turned bright red.

"What? What is it?" Lois asked again, frantic and desperate with worry.

Sam grinned. "You should hear what she just called Dad! She sounds like one very ticked off lady."

Clark quickly scooped his wife up into his arms. Without another word, he led the way out the open window, his children following behind exchanging amused glances.

"She's got a rather impressive vocabulary," Marty pointed out to her siblings.

Shallowford
#170020 02/04/14 04:28 AM
S
Merriwether
Online Content
Merriwether
S
Excellent point that the lack of profanity on this site has to do with the characters. It's part of the package. I know I love that Superman is a good guy and always tries to do the right thing. And in L&C, I always loved the fact they didn't swear and that they even waited to be married before consummating their relationship.

You could argue that TV shows at the time didn't allow such language but it doesn't seem to fit the overall tone of the show.

I used to write CSI fanfiction. I remember having a somewhat similar discussion about the use of profanity on the show and in fanfiction. Many felt it was unrealistic that the characters didn't use swear more. It made me sad when several people in the discussion responded that everyone used those words. They heard them on a daily basis.

Joan

#170021 02/04/14 06:53 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by scifiJoan:
I used to write CSI fanfiction. I remember having a somewhat similar discussion about the use of profanity on the show and in fanfiction. Many felt it was unrealistic that the characters didn't use swear more. It made me sad when several people in the discussion responded that everyone used those words. They heard them on a daily basis.
That is sad, Joan, that those people have such a lack of imagination. I go many days and weeks without hearing it, so clearly their assumption about "everyone" was wrong. wink Additionally, they must not have been thinking properly about their characters and how OOC it would be for them to swear. I know people are more lax about work-place etiquette these days (another sad fact about society) but if I were Gil Grissom or Lieutenant Brass and one of my CSI's starting using profanity while on the job, he/she would get a stern talking to, if not written up. It's highly unprofessional.

Many young people think that they hear it "everywhere" but if they think about it, they really don't. Sure, they and their friends probably use it, but I doubt they hear their teachers, or college professors, or bosses swearing up a blue streak. I'm sure the clerk at the DMV is tempted after the 50th rude customer of the day, but they refrain. The waitress at the coffee shop or the guy at McD's drive thru window would be stupid to swear in front of customers and still expect to have a job the next day. I'm sure Annie doesn't use every word in the dictionary while in the library either. wink Jobs where swearing (even in front of customers) doesn't make anyone blink are few and far between.

Cat may come into the newsroom in a skimpy bikini when it's 100' in Metropolis, but I'm betting Perry would pull her or anyone else aside if that person started using vulgar terms at work.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#170022 02/04/14 07:30 AM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
scifiJoan posted:
Excellent point that the lack of profanity on this site has to do with the characters. It's part of the package. I know I love that Superman is a good guy and always tries to do the right thing. And in L&C, I always loved the fact they didn't swear and that they even waited to be married before consummating their relationship.
Totally agree--I think the tone of the show, and the character portrayals we came to know throughout it's four year run, are the reasoning that profanity is lacking on the this site. Whenever I read fanfic, I always get a 'movie' going in my head--picturing Lois and/or Clark from sometime during the timeframe that the story could be pulled from the show--and visualize everything. The show really guides my mental image of whatever I read. Because the show didn't really go there, I never really expect the characters to go too far into that area. A great story, to me anyway, is a story where you feel like you are watching more of the show--a new episode, a season prior to the pilot, or years down the line--and to have that feeling, the characters need to be spot-on. Having correct characterization makes even the most 'out there' story idea seem very true-to-form clap .

Being a teen when the show was originally broadcast, the innocence of their relationship was a huge draw for me. Becoming partners, then friends, best friends, falling in love, getting married--it was a beautiful process to witness. Even now as an adult, I really enjoy the wonderful 'tone' that the show has--can't wait till the kiddos get a bit older. Fun times ahead dance ...

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#170023 02/04/14 02:01 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I would say it depends on the context. I've written roughly fifty stories on the site and in only one of them do I have more than an instance or two of swearing. It happens to be the story I'm currently posting on the n-side, so I've taken a little umbrage at some of the statements made above.

I warned readers up front that it would contain strong language, and I've posted a caution at the top of each part, because I worry that someone is going to get offended. I agree, in the broadest general terms, with the assessment that swearing is uncreative. In RL, I very seldom swear, and, even then, I use words that the censor bot wouldn't blink at. But not everyone lives in that kind of world. Specifically, if the bad guys in my story were real, they'd use the mother of all swear words as a noun, a verb, an adverb, and adjective, an interjection, and pretty much every part of a sentence. They won't do that in the story, because it would be offensive and pointless to beat readers over the head with it. I'm not including that word for shock value. It's there for the sake of verisimilitude.

In the end, it comes down to whether the writer can make me believe in the story. If they can sell the swearing, I'll buy.
An individual that needs to resort to profanity and vulgarity is demonstrating that they have a fundamental lack of command of the English language.
I hope that the fifty other stories I've written show enough command of the English language that people won't think it's the only way I can express myself. wink
If you can't express something without resorting to that style of writing, you shouldn't be.
Obviously, I disagree. :p

I would never tell someone else how to write their story or that they're doing it wrong. There's more than enough room for all different flavors on this site. It's one of the reasons I've stuck around for so long. I've never come across a more supportive and generous group of people anywhere else. I very much appreciate that there are readers out there who are willing to let me take risks without castigating me for trying. laugh

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#170024 02/04/14 02:48 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Sue S., it sounds like you've met some of the students at my school, who can use a certain word as a noun, verb, pronoun, adverb, adjective, conjunction, and expletive--frequently all in the same sentence.

My youngest sister had to learn the hard way not to use the 'f' word in front of her son--one afternoon I was talking to her on the phone, and she let her little boy talk to me. What did he say when she gave him the phone? "F--- you, Auntie." He was about 18 months old.

I don't tend to be offended by profanity--I hear it all the time. I don't use it at work, though, and not often elsewhere (though I'll admit that when I discovered that the people taking out a dead pine tree from the yard had dropped a good-sized chunk of wood on a small lemon tree and snapped it off at the base, I had some choice words).

I've used a couple of swear words in my story Panem, though they're mild ones. The other swearing is cut off mid-sentence or described as being bleeped out. I do think that there are times when swear words fit the situation and/or the character.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#170025 02/04/14 02:56 PM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
You can always use Harry Potter style swearing. There's a lot of, "Harry swore under his breath," in those books, but that only really works for interjections.

I've heard it argued that, for example, a prison scene wouldn't feel realistic if the prisoners weren't swearing, and their dialog should be written accordingly. I'm not looking for realism in all aspects of a story, though; I'm reading to be entertained. I don't ever like to read profanity, but I tolerate a certain amount of it. Regarding Superman in particular, I agree with others' sentiments that I would find it out of character, and it would detract from the story for me.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable writing characters using language in a story that I wouldn't feel comfortable using in conversation myself.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#170026 02/04/14 05:07 PM
N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
LMA wrote...The show really guides my mental image of whatever I read. Because the show didn't really go there, I never really expect the characters to go too far into that area
Totally agree with you there! I've only written one story for L&C, but I've written quite a few in another fandom. When I'm writing, I try and keep a picture of the characters in my head, and write them accordingly.
Did we ever hear the characters swear on the show? I'm trying to remember but I really don't think we did. It would've been really out of character, especially for Clark, and I think that kind of carries over to fanfic.

Speaking personally, I work in an area that's very male-dominated and the average age of the staff is around 18 or 19. So I do tend to hear a lot of profanity. I limit what I say myself, especially now that I have a toddler that's learning to talk! The odd swear word doesn't really bother me. It's when it's over the top that it gets to me.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
#170027 02/04/14 05:39 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
For me, it all boils down to what the show gives us as guidelines for the characters. L&C never crossed into profanity. (Note: I do not consider "hell" and "damn" profanities.) So, when I write, I ask myself, "does this actually sound like the character?" While it was mentioned that Lois cursed up a blue streak when she broke her ankle, we never actually saw swearing occur on screen.

Now, if I were to be writing for, say, Dexter, I would have Deb dropping swear words left, right, and center - because that's how her character was. Every other word out of her mouth began with the letter F. wink Writing "Gosh darn it!" for her character would not be natural and would not ring true for the character.

As a reader, I will not read a story in which the characters sound "off." If Clark drops an F-bomb, I'm not longer interested in the story, because the author does not understand the fundamental truths of who he is. And if, in the case above, Deb has a squeaky clean mouth - that writer doesn't understand that character either.

I do take offense at the idea that (and I'm paraphrasing here) people who swear have a fundamental lack of command of the English language." I can swear like a truck driver in the privacy of my own home, but I would never do so in a professional setting. And I think I have a rather decent, if not impressive, command of the English language (as I sincerely *hope* my stories demonstrate). (I'm trying to work on the swearing thing before my girls get old enough to repeat what I say.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#170028 02/04/14 06:44 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sue, I would hate for you to think that any of us were referring to any specific story on these boards (including Nfic). I know I was speaking in generalities.

I, myself, posted an Nfic version of a story due to language. clap notworthy

Has anyone ever heard of a film (or book) where a reviewer commented on the LACK of profanity in it, and thought it should have had more? I can't. But I can name numerous films where I would have enjoyed them a lot more without quite so much of it. (As I mentioned above, I'm referencing movies more than fiction because it seems to pop out more there. Apparently, those don't get filmed without a script having been written, although there are times when I do wonder...)

VirginiaR.
---
#170029 02/04/14 09:28 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Okay. I'm only on here for a few minutes to post a short little story and be gone. But I saw this thread and had to comment. huh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#170030 02/05/14 07:26 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
On the topic of swearing in general, I have to say, the majority of you have not visited a high school campus in recent years if you think you can go a day without hearing a minimum of *one* swear word. Or even younger. No one in my family ever swore growing up, and I'm the oldest kid in my family, and yet I'd learned the f-word by fourth grade. You can pretty much sit anywhere on a high school or college campus and not go as much as five minutes without hearing something. Or a mall. Or out in public anywhere, basically. I will agree that a large majority of them are "kids", but I have had *many* professors and teachers who used quite a bit of language, and not just "damn" or "hell". (Then again, I'm involved in a very different industry, so it's probably not that way for everybody.) I think context is the difference-- like it's somehow okay to say a certain word if it's just an adjective and they're using it to replace the word "really" or something. But if the term were used in a graphic or explicit manner, there would certainly be ten times the consequences. Why it really makes a difference, I've no idea. I think that most cases of adults swearing are reactionary/temper-related, though, not just throwing the words around like kids to be "cool". *Most* people if they do swear aloud, realize what they say as soon as they've said it, and don't repeat the word again.
That's true, Mouse. I mostly speak with kids under 10 and their mothers and teachers. I also live in a small town, where such freedom to speak profanity is frowned upon in public spaces. I am sorry to hear that your teachers and professors feel the need to swear in the classroom. frown My kids have heard swear words (Thanks "Short Circuit" and "Goonies" grumble and I have to say their father :rolleyes: , who doesn't curb his speech in front of them as much as I try to), but they know what are acceptable and not acceptable words to use in my house. Then, again, in our house calling someone "stupid" is considered a swear word and is forbidden (unless referencing politicians, but that's another topic altogether.)

On the other hand, I've been laughed at for using things like "whoops" or "geez louise" in place of swear words at times. huh
We weren't allowed to use any words my mother didn't say herself; although, we had heard them in RL and in movies. My favorite "swear phrase" that I liked to use (and still do from time to time) is "Tough Cookies!" laugh

NOW, mecry Come on, don't tell me 6 is too old to be seen holding his mamma's hand. Thankfully, he changed his mind back again by the next day. Phew./

VirginiaR.
---
#170031 02/05/14 12:28 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
An interesting film to watch on this (yes this is on subject) is Hopscotch with Walter Mattheau - Only one character habitually uses obscenities and he's the "bad guy". For all the other character's the use of swear words is clearly a choice made for effect.
quote: An individual that needs to resort to profanity and vulgarity is demonstrating that they have a fundamental lack of command of the English language.
is a good reminder that a character who is meant to have a good command of English probably won't need to resort to vulgarity to get their point across.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#170032 02/05/14 02:44 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I teach at a school in Detroit that has children up to grade 8 and I go days without hearing swear words.

Of course, I teach in pre-K. However we have the children so that they do not say "shut-up", and saying "A**" by one student was so far out, that it took a lot of coxing to get the other student to admit that was the bad word that had been said.

In L&C it seems totally out of character for Clark, and in most cases, even Lois to use such words. I like the lack of profanity in most of the stories, and hope it stays that way.

John Pack Lambert
#170033 02/05/14 05:20 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I feel the need to clarify how exactly I find this "uncreative" writing. DC mentioned a Dexter character who drops f-bombs every other word. It's THOSE kind of characters (sorry DC and Dexter writers) which I find boring and uncreative, despite them being "true to life".
No offense taken, Virginia. I've actually never written any Dexter fics, save for the one (clean) Dexter/L&C crossover that I posted here. Deb was merely the first character that crossed my mind as an example where NOT having a character swear would actually jar me out of the story because it wouldn't be true to the character, as she was presented on the show. (She was a pretty hardcore, "one of the boys" type of cop who didn't take anything from anyone. I'm guessing some of her language stemmed from her working Vice at the beginning of the show, but that's just my observation and guess.)

Tell me, that if someone wrote a "Valley Girl" type Lois with her saying "totally" and "for sure" every other word, or a character which oft repeats "really" you wouldn't be pulling your hair out by the end of the scene (if you made it that far) from sheer annoyance factor?
Lois? God, no! Ick! But, if it was, say, Aphrodite from Hercules and Xena, then no, it wouldn't bother me, because she was written as more of a Valley Girl type of character. (No, she didn't "like" or "totally" everything, but enough to give her the Valley Girl feel.)

Because of the meaning behind some profanity makes my skin crawl and my hair -
Some of them make mine crawl too. spider

but in general I find excessive and repeated profanity or using swear words for shock (i.e. where they aren't needed) as being uncreative.
In writing, I agree. IF it is merely for shock value. But if it is done in keeping with an established character, then I'm not bothered by it, unless the swear words being used are typically NOT ones used by said character.

Um... DC, you might want to stop NOW, then, because the little sponges start soaking in their parents language use before age 1.
Ugh, I know. I'm trying. It's really difficult to break the habit. Half the time, I don't realize what I've said until after something's slipped out of my mouth. It all started in college, in the dorms, where cursing almost seemed to be a way of life. I guess part of me did it to fit in.

Total aside: but the other day he didn't want to hold my hand after school as we walked to the car and it nearly broke my heart. [Mecry] Come on, don't tell me 6 is too old to be seen holding his mamma's hand. Thankfully, he changed his mind back again by the next day. Phew.
Awwwwww! Now you make me want to find a way to slow down time so my little girls stay little!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard