CHAPTER TEN

Clark stared at his computer screen. His interview with Arianna Carlin-Luthor stared back at him. He'd promised Perry an article that wasn't just another press release for the new head of the LexCorp empire, but he wasn't sure he was able to deliver. He'd managed to give the article a more personal feel by including her expressed feelings for Lex and what he'd done to her. He'd been able to put that ironic slant to the piece, even to the point of using the 'poetic justice' line that Arianna had used. It wasn't the same old thing that had been printed to date, but he still was uncomfortable with it. He couldn't get over the feeling that this was exactly what she would have wanted printed.

It was a good newspaper article. It gave the reader some inside information and a view of the subject that hadn't been examined in previous pieces. Still, Clark knew that it didn't say what he wanted it to say. It didn't implicate her in the plot to betray Luthor. But then, to the rest of the world, there hadn't been a plot to betray Luthor. A tough, dedicated police officer and an intrepid investigative reporter had been responsible for the fall of the city's previously anonymous crimelord.

Arianna had played Clark like a rookie beat reporter and the worst part was - he knew it. Still, she had answered the questions he'd asked. She just had all the 'right' answers. It was almost like she knew what he was fishing for and had been able to deflect his questions so as not to reveal anything she didn't want revealed. Which begged the question: what did she have to hide?

The arrival of the elevator opening up to the newsroom floor drew his attention from the screen. He couldn't stop the smile from forming on his face as he saw Lois step off the conveyance. She zeroed in on his desk and strode purposely toward him. She wasn't smiling.

"Lois, what brings you here? Is there something wrong down at the precinct?"

She shrugged as she swiveled her head, checking out who was close to them and who wasn't. "I don't know about the precinct. Starting this morning, I'm on vacation." She glanced around some more. "Is there someplace we can talk?"

Her unspoken meaning was clear. She wanted to talk somewhere where there was no chance of them being overheard.

"Sure," he said, gesturing toward an empty conference room.

He rose from his chair and guided her toward the small room. Once inside he closed the door and after a good look at her expression he pulled the blinds.

"Could you lock the door?" Her voice was soft, and there was a quality in it that he'd never heard from her before. It was fear.

After doing what she asked, he moved over, grabbed her hand, and guided her into a chair. He pulled another chair up and turned it to face her. "Lois, what is it? What's wrong?"

He watched the play of emotions as they flashed across her face. She finally sighed, then took a deep breath. "I... I can't do this alone. I know I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but I'm going to need someone to back me up. I'm afraid if I try to do this solo, I could screw up and there'd be no one to save Bill."

Her hands had begun to flail about. Clark grabbed them and held them in front of him. "Lois? What are you talking about? What do you mean, no one to save Bill?"

Lois pulled her hands back and clenched them into fists. "I'm being blackmailed."

"Blackmailed? By who... never mind, I can guess. What does this have to do with Bill?" Clark ran his hand through his hair. "Maybe you'd better start at the beginning."

Lois reached into her bag and pulled out a crumpled, folded over, piece of paper. It was a picture. She handed it to Clark. "I got a call last night telling me I had some mail. When I went down to check, this was in my mailbox."

Clark slowly let out a long breath. So Bill Henderson was alive. That the person in the picture was Lois' partner, there was no doubt. Where it had been taken was another matter entirely. He saw the few words scribbled onto the back of the photo.

"Were you contacted?"

She nodded. "Yeah, St. John called me this morning." He didn't prompt her. He just waited until she was ready to continue. "He told me that he needed someone new to be his inside person in the police department since Bill had apparently changed his mind now that he'd gotten what he wanted."

"Luthor's downfall."

She nodded. "Yeah, and he told me that he'd kill Bill if I didn't do what he wanted."

Clark chewed on his lower lip. He really didn't want to ask the next question, but he had to, even though he knew what the answer was going to be. "So, what did you tell him?"

Lois glared at him. "What do you think I told him? This is Bill's life we're talking about." Clark held back a sigh. He didn't say anything. "I laid down some ground rules of my own. At least, what I figured St. John would accept." She rubbed her temples with her fingertips. "I told him I had to have solid proof that Bill was alive, and well. That he should get better accommodations than were shown in the photo." She paused, looking into Clark's face. "And I told him I wouldn't kill, or through inaction, allow the death of anyone."

She rose from the chair and began to pace about the small conference room. It was difficult because the table took up so much of the space. "I know you're disappointed in me," she began. "I'm sorry if I offend your high moral standards by agreeing to do as Nigel says, but this is Bill's life I'm dealing with. I'm already taking a risk by telling you about this."

Clark reached out and pulled Lois back into the chair. "Lois, don't. I don't blame you for the decision you've made. It's who you are. Your friends and loved ones are very important to you. I'd no more expect you to abandon them in need than I would expect you to ... fly."

Her eyebrow rose. "I would if I could, you know."

Clark allowed himself a slight grin, before schooling his features into a more serious vein. "So, I assume, because you think you need help with this, that you need to have a back-up, that you aren't going to cooperate exactly in the manner that St. John expects?"

This time is was Lois who ran a hand through her hair. "Oh, I'll do whatever he asks within the limits I set for him, but that doesn't mean that I'll stop trying to bring him to justice. There is no way I'm going to stay his pet toady in the department any longer than I absolutely have to." She looked back up into his eyes. "That's why I need your help."

Clark found himself unsurprised by Lois' declaration. He knew that she'd willingly risk her career, and even her life, to help her former partner and friend. He couldn't help a slight twinge of jealousy. If only she'd be that willing to put herself out for him some day.

But, true to her beliefs, she wouldn't just take St. John's machinations lying down. She'd do what she had to, but it wouldn't stop her from also trying to 'do what was right' at the same time. There was no way that he wouldn't offer her all the help and assistance she needed.

"You know I'll do whatever I can to help you, don't you?" His eyes pleaded for her acceptance.

She gave him a slight grin. "That's why I'm here. I'm going to need you as my partner in this. I'm going to be walking a slippery tightrope here, while trying to dance to Nigel's tune. I'm going to need you to be my safety net and my confidant." She had to stop to swallow, and clear her throat which had gotten a bit choked up. "There are times when I'm going to need you to take the lead in investigating information I may find but am not free to look into." Her grin turned into a wry smile. "I don't like admitting that I can't do something, anything, but I'm not a fool. If I'm to save Bill and bring down St. John and whoever is working with him, including that fake Superman, I'm going to need you."

Clark reached out and placed his hand against her cheek. She leaned into his gesture. "You've got me." He smiled. "I'm sure that St. John already knows that you and I have been dating, so it shouldn't be unusual for us to see each other frequently." Clark leaned back and pursed his lips while he began to verbalize his thoughts. "We'll have to make sure that it doesn't seem like we're talking about anything related to him or his organization when we're in a public place."

Lois nodded, as she chewed on her lower lip. "Yeah, I'm sure that he'll have me watched quite a bit." She fixed Clark with a coquettish look. "We'll just have to be more demonstratively romantic when we're out and about. Just to throw suspicion off us."

Clark grinned back at her. "I think I can manage to do that."

Suddenly it hit Clark that he'd just grilled Arianna about her possible connection to St. John, and implied that she might have been involved with Luthor's downfall. If she was indeed involved, as he was sure she was, it would alert them that he was into a possible investigation of them. That wouldn't help Lois' situation. If they thought that he was investigating Arianna, his association with Lois wouldn't seem so innocent anymore. He could easily jeopardize her safety, and Bill's.

"Lois," he began. "I think that there could be a problem." She gave him a puzzled look. He took her hands in his and told her about his interview with Arianna Carlin-Luthor.

She frowned as Clark came to an end of his tale. "I can see where this could be a problem for us." She reached out and touched his face with her fingertips. "In fact, I can see where this could become dangerous for you."

Clark shrugged. "It's my job. People expect me to go after the story, no matter what it is."

"I know," she responded. "But I'm not too fond of the idea of my having to worry about your safety also." Lois' brow wrinkled in deep thought. "You say that you were sure she was deflecting your questions like she knew what you were angling for."

"I'm sure of it."

"So, what would happen it you made it appear like she had succeeding in fooling you?"

Clark, at first wasn't sure what Lois meant, then he suggestion became clear. He nodded. "Yeah, that might work. I haven't sent the story to Perry yet. I could rewrite it so that it would read just the way she had been steering the interview to go." Clark scrubbed a hand through his hair again. "Actually, it pretty much already reads that way. It wouldn't take too much rewriting to hammer it home. She really didn't give me much to base any suspicions on, and without quotes, or hard facts, my mistrust would just look like baseless accusations, or a personal vendetta." He nodded as he began to mentally rework his article. "I'll have to tell Perry what I'm doing... but I'll keep you out of it," he hastened to add at her look of concern.

"All right then." She stood. "I guess, you should give me a kiss when I leave... you know, to better play up our relationship."

Clark had to bite his lip to keep from laughing at her so serious tone. "Well, if you think it would be a good idea." She rolled her eyes as he couldn't help himself and let his grin break free.

Lois allowed Clark to guide her toward the elevator with his hand on the small of her back. She found the gesture interesting. It was something she noticed that he seemed to do instinctively. If any other man had placed his hand in such a manner she would have resented the controlling nature of the move. With Clark it never seemed like that. It was more protective than possessive. She doubted that he even was aware that he was doing it.

They paused at the elevator. She placed her hand on his chest and looked into his eyes. "So, dinner tonight?" she asked, innocently.

"Sounds good. I'll pick you up at seven."

He had a sly smile on his face as he leaned down and captured her lips. She knew that part of this was for pretense, but that didn't mean she couldn't enjoy it. She found herself savoring the flavor of him, and began to respond to him and moved to deepen the kiss when he suddenly pulled away.

"What? What is it?" Lois had been confused by his sudden departure.
She followed his gaze which was directed at the television monitor screens which hung, mute, from the bullpen's ceiling. "Omigod," she whispered under her breath.

"Turn that thing up." Perry had come out of his office when he'd noticed the commotion taking place on the bullpen floor. Everyone's attention was glued to the monitor which was tuned to LNN.

"... and so to all my fans and friends in Metropolis, and around the world, I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for my absence. I was ill, and it took me these past months to fully effect my recovery. But I'm one hundred per cent again, and I just want to reassure everyone that... Superman's back." The figure on the television screen in the colorful spandex costume waved to the crowd and stepped away from the microphones even though the crowd of reporters were shouting questions at him."

Lois came up next to Clark, whose gaze was still riveted to the screen. She noticed the odd look Perry gave him. That told her that Perry hadn't been told about the clone. She turned her attention back to Clark.

So the clone had finally gone public. She could see the tenseness in Clark's back and shoulders. She worried that he might cramp up if he didn't let go some of the tightness in his muscles. She reached over and absently rubbed his back, hoping to relieve some of the tension.

She noted that the bogus Man of Steel's address had taken place on the steps of City Hall. She didn't remember hearing anything about an announced press conference. She wondered if there had been anyone from the Daily Planet there. Clark hadn't said anything about it. In fact, he looked as surprised as she was. What was the clone's game?

She continued to watch as the mayor, and some of the city councilmen, crowded around the fake Superman. She shook her head in disgust at the fawning going on. How did Clark take it? All the phony smiles, and claps on the back by so many trying to further their own agendas. It must have been torture to endure. Of course, Clark, being as naive as he was, probably didn't know that they were being disingenuous.

Suddenly she noticed a funny little man hanging back from the rest of the crowd. He wore glasses that seemed to be on the verge of falling off his nose at any moment. His clothes were rumpled, and ill-fitting. He was basically untidy, but not unkempt or dirty. He wasn't some sort of street bum who had wandered onto the stage by accident. There was a brightness to the eyes that bespoke of a sharp brain behind those coke-bottle lens.

"Oh no!"

Clark's exclamation startled Lois. She quickly glanced at him for an explanation. When he noticed her attention he indicated the screen with a nod of his head. "Do you see that man in the tweed jacket?"

It was the fellow she'd just been wondering about. "Yeah," she answered.

"That's Professor Emil Hamilton. He works for a remote division of Star Labs." There was a definite note of apprehension in Clark's voice.

"So?" His name meant nothing to her.

"I wonder what he's doing in Metropolis? He hardly ever comes into the city. Claims he doesn't like the crowds."

Lois placed her hand on his arm. "Clark?"

Before he could answer Lois, Perry sidled up next to them. Clark turned to his mentor. "Did you know about this?"

Perry shook his head. "I received word that there was going to be a special press conference, but I had no idea what it was to be about. I sent Diaz out to cover it, thinking it was going to be something political. Frankly, I'm flabbergasted." Perry frowned and fixed his prize pupil with a penetrating stare. "Do we need to talk?"

Clark glanced down at Lois. She gave him an imperceptible shrug. He turned back to his boss. "Yeah, I think we do."

The three of them walked up the ramp and entered Perry's office. If White was surprised that Lois had come along, he didn't show it. Clark closed the office door and sat next to Lois on the couch in one corner of the office. Perry perched himself on the corner of his desk and faced them.

Lois was a bit unnerved by how apprehensive she felt. She knew that White was Clark's mentor, and he considered the older man almost like a second father. Still, she couldn't shake the image of being called into the principal's office to explain herself after getting caught dusting the cheerleader's pom poms with sneezing powder.

It was clear by his manner that White had functioned as one of Clark's confidants over the preceding months, if not longer. It was obvious that he knew that Clark was - had been - Superman.

"So," he began. "What can you tell me about this?"

Clark glanced at Lois. She gave him a small smile. "Tell him whatever you think he should know. None of this can be printed anyway. We have no proof," she said.

Clark nodded. "Okay."

The next fifteen minutes were spent giving Perry an overview of what Lois and Clark knew about Nigel's role in Luthor's downfall, and their theory that the Superman at the press conference was a clone. Lois was thankful that Clark glossed over Bill's role by just saying that he was on the 'inside' of St. John's operation. It sounded like Henderson had been on a legitimate undercover assignment even if he hadn't actually come out and said it.

Lois added her witnessing of the bogus Superman grabbing Bill and flying off with him. She was sure that White made the logical assumption that Bill's cover had been blown. She then felt emboldened enough to mention the fact that she had been notified that Henderson was currently Nigel's captive.

Lois had then been surprised by Perry's next words. He'd correctly guessed the motivation for Bill's capture. He'd told Lois that she should be very careful because it was obvious that St. John was going to look to use her partner for some sort of blackmail leverage against her. She had just nodded, and answered with a soft 'I know'.

White had then thanked the two for their candor and told them that if there was anything he could do, to just ask. And, of course, he wished to be kept informed of the situation as it unfolded. After all, he'd said, he couldn't help them if he didn't know what they were doing. Lois had smiled at that, but had promised they'd keep him in the loop as much as they dared.

Now she and Clark stood in front of the elevators once again. It was time for her to leave, and for Clark to get back to work. Strangely, she didn't really want to leave him. She had been feeling so alone, and vulnerable lately, that being with him just, somehow, made her feel more secure. Even though he wasn't Superman anymore, she still saw him as someone who could act as her protector. Not that Lois Lane needed anyone to act as her protector. It was just nice to know that there was someone there to watch her back.

She felt a slight pang of betrayal at the thought. Bill had always been the one she'd thought of in that role, but now that seemed to be changing, and she wasn't all together sure how she should feel about that.

"Well," he said, smiling down at her.

She blushed. "Yeah, I guess I should be going. You've got work to do, and I've got some strategy to map out."

Clark cupped her cheek with the palm of his hand. "Don't forget, dinner tonight."

She smiled. "I'm looking forward to it."

He leaned in and gave her another quick, gentle kiss. It felt nice. "Till tonight, then," he said.

She nodded as the elevator door opened up behind her. She didn't remember pushing the button, but stepped inside. She turned back and gave Clark another smile. "Bye." The door closed.

A few moments later she found herself back on the sidewalk unsure as to what to do next. After pondering for a minute or two, she had decided on a course of action. Maybe it was time to check in with a few of her normal snitches just to see what was circulating around the underground grapevine these days.

Lois stood in front of her bathroom mirror frowning as she tried to pat her unruly hair into place. Her hair was currently in that 'in-between' stage where it seemed to have a mind of its own. With all that had been going on lately, she had missed her normal appointment. Ordinarily she wouldn't care that much, but tonight she wanted to look nice for Clark. She tried to tame her locks for a few more moments before finally giving up. Why did women want long hair anyway?

She smoothed the strapless black dress, where it hugged the curves of her hips, with her hands as a polite knock at her door was heard. Oh no, she thought, the dress was too tight, but Clark was here and there wasn't time to change. Reluctantly she went to the front door and opened it for him.

"Wow, Lois, you look great."

Clark was wearing a simple pair of dark slacks, light blue shirt, and a dark tie. The sports coat was charcoal colored herring-bone. He looked good.
She reached for her wrap, and purse.

"I look a fright. My hair's a mess, and this dress doesn't fit right." She frowned in irritation. "My make-up is probably smudged too."

Clark laughed. "I'm sorry, Lois, but you will always look beautiful to me. It wouldn't matter if you were wearing the most expensive ball gown with your hair in curls and a tiara, or shorn to the scalp and wearing a tattered potato sack."

She looked up at him with a raised brow as they stepped into the hallway. "Careful, Kent, I may hold you to that."

He just laughed as he took her arm and they made their way to the stair leading into the night.

The cab ride was short and there was little time for conversation. They just spent the time holding hands and staring out at the deepening evening, as the lights began to come on throughout the city. It was a pleasant ride and Lois used the little time to let some of tension of the day flow out of her. It would be easy to just forget all the crap that had come down on her lately and enjoy the evening and company. But she knew that the two of them would have to discuss serious matters.

The restaurant was understated, but very nice. None of that phony underlit pretension, or psuedo-elegant atmosphere. It was a comfortable, well lit room that spoke of an owner who cared more about satisfying his customers than how chic their place looked.

The food was excellent and all during the meal they kept their conversation light and personal. Spending most of the time trading high school horror stories. Finally, though, while sipping their after dinner wine and listening to a favorite old standard wafting through the restaurant sound system, Lois decided it was time to broach some of their upcoming problems.

"I got in touch with several of my informants today." She said it softly, in the same tone they'd been using all evening. She wasn't sure if they were being watched, but she didn't want to arouse any undue suspicion if they were. It was obvious that no one was seated close enough to overhear them if they spoke in normal tones.

Clark nodded as he took a sip of his wine. He was as aware as she of the possibility of scrutiny. "Really? Find out anything?"

She shook her head. "Not much. Did you know that Lex had been the one that everyone had always referred to as 'The Boss'?"

Clark set his glass down. "You mean it's not Springsteen?"

"Funny, Kent." She shook her head at him. "Apparently, though, there hasn't been anyone yet that has stepped into the now vacant role. Actually there hasn't been a lot going on that's been organized since Lex's death."

"What about those gangs that have been terrorizing people lately?" he asked.

"I'm convinced it's just street punks being restless. I don't see it as anything organized. There doesn't seem to be any purpose behind it." She reached out and gave his hand a squeeze. "I see that your own wounds seemed to be nearly all healed. I don't see any indication left of the bruises you suffered."

Clark smiled. "Yeah, I may not have my powers anymore, but some extra time in the sun seems to still have had a remarkable restorative effect. Being a Kryptonian, even a non super-powered one still has its advantages."

Lois took another sip of her wine. The mention of his alien heritage brought back to mind the Superman press conference they'd seen earlier. "Clark?" He put down his own wine glass. "You remember that fellow you said was at the press conference? That professor?"

Clark's face took on a grim look. "Yeah, Professor Emil Hamilton."

Lois nodded. "Yeah, he's the one. Who is he, and why was he there at a Superman press conference?"

Clark expelled a deep breath. "I'm not sure why he was there, but the fact that he was worries me."

"I don't understand?"

"Lois, Professor Hamilton is the man in charge of the space ship I came to earth in."