From last time:

Lois shook her head. She didn't know why she felt so restless. She had a good career where she earned a nice living, a nice apartment in a safe part of town, and a life that was her own. She could come and go as she pleased.

*Then why am I not happy?* she asked herself as she felt a hint of depression sinking back in. *What is it, exactly, that I think I'm missing in my life?*

She leaned forward to rest her temple against the cool glass of the window as she stared out into the darkening night sky. She didn't know what it was, but something was missing. Something she just couldn't put her finger on.

She wanted more out of her life. But for the life of her, she had no idea what it was.

Now for part 2...

Lois walked into the newsroom bright and early as usual the next morning. She was just nearing her desk when Jim Langley noticed her entrance and came rushing over, the morning newspaper in his hand and a huge smile on his face.

"Did you see this? You've created a real media frenzy. Indictments were issued early this morning, and I hate to say, I think you have a whole slew of new enemies. You've really outdone yourself this time, Lois. Nice work."

Lois smiled back. "Thanks, Chief."

She wasn't surprised by his news of indictments issued that morning, however. The moment she'd woken up, she'd turned on the television to see if anything was being said about her article. To her satisfaction, the news channels were humming with reports of indictments being issued and businesses quickly issuing statements in an attempt to do damage control, and video was being shown of the influential men involved being led away in handcuffs.

She smiled. She loved this part. It made her feel like she was making a difference in the world. Or at least in her little corner of it.

She went through the rest of the day catching up on various things that had been cast aside while she'd worked on her investigation. She actually felt relaxed for a change, with the weight of her time-consuming and stressful story off her shoulders.

By late afternoon Lois had caught up, and she was just contemplating going home a little early for a change when a startled cry came from somewhere across the newsroom. She looked up and saw that a group of her co-workers had gathered around the newsroom televisions to watch the launch of the space shuttle back east, as it was bound for Space Station Prometheus.

Curious, she ambled closer to the bank of televisions. She heard the television reporter saying something about a bomb being detected on the transport, and any attempts to defuse it were failing. Suddenly, out of the camera's range, shrieks of surprise could be heard from the large crowd. Lois furrowed her brow. What was happening now?

Just then the cameras panned to the right and gave viewers a glimpse of something streaking through the sky toward the transport. She watched, her eyes glued to the television, as the commentators tried to describe what was happening.

"There appears to be something flying overhead, but it doesn't appear to be an aircraft. It appears to be..." The reporter's voice drifted off, and Lois leaned in closer, waiting anxiously along with the rest of the gatherers to hear the reporter's next words. Finally, the reporter continued, her voice reflecting her disbelief. "It appears to be a man! Yes, reports are coming in saying it's a man, dressed in a tight red and blue suit with a cape, flying toward the transport!"

Lois's jaw dropped, and there was a collective gasp from the crowd of co-workers around her. *A man?* Lois thought. *How could it be a man? There was no such thing as a flying man!*

But as she watched the cameras zoom in on the mysterious figure, Lois caught a better glimpse of what the people in Metropolis were seeing. It did indeed appear to be a man, dressed in a rather revealing red and blue suit, a cape billowing out behind him as he flew.

Or appeared to fly.

She shook her head. This had to be a publicity stunt. It didn't make any sense! Maybe he was being held up by cables and supported by an overhead helicopter or something. She couldn't see why such a publicity stunt would be appropriate in the face of looming danger, but at least it made more sense than the other explanation of a flying man!

She was unable to tear her eyes away from the screen as the events unfolded before her. She watched the picture on the televisions change from the outside footage view, to the view inside the shuttle where glimpses of the members of the colonists had been broadcast for PR purposes. The monitors showed the mysterious costumed man rip the door off the transport and hurry in, where one of the security members of the colony froze momentarily upon seeing the strange newcomer. She couldn't hear the words they exchanged, but it was obvious the man was directing the costumed man to the bomb's location.

Lois and the world watched as the mysterious man then ripped off the wires leading to the bomb, yanked it from its casing, then flew out of the transport so fast that he was a blur of red and blue as he streaked into the sky. The cameras panned up after him, and a moment later there was an explosion. A brilliant cloud of oranges, reds, and yellows lit up the night sky.

There was a shocked cry from the crowd of onlookers in Metropolis, as well as from the crowd of co-workers around Lois, who saw the explosion on the screen. Then a moment later, there was another streak of blue and red heading back toward the transport. As the reporters at the scene tried to report what they saw happening, Lois's coworkers started to chatter excitedly amongst themselves. The cameras on-board the space transport showed glimpses of the mystery man back amongst the colonists, with a few smudges of black powder on his face and colorful suit being the only sign he'd been near the explosion.

Lois ignored the chatter around her as she studied the screen carefully. Who was this man? Where had he come from? If this wasn't some illusion, there were a lot of questions to be answered. The world was going to want those answers--and so was she.

Lois's attention was immediately drawn back to the TV when the picture shifted to a distance camera's view, showing the transport slowly lifting off the ground. Her gasp of surprise mingled with those of her co-workers. Was what they saw happening really happening? Moments later, the transport disappeared from view into the night sky.

The cameras panned away, once again focusing on the reporters who were making a valiant attempt to report the events that had just unfolded before the world's eyes. But Lois was no longer interested in what they had to say. Nothing they could report would tell her what she wanted to know. That information she would have to gather for herself. And there was only one way to do that.

"Chief!" Lois stormed over to her editor's office, where he was standing and watching the events unfold from his doorway. "I need to get to Metropolis. Now."

Jim Langley shook his head. "Now, Lois, just calm down. I know this is big news, but you know I can't just authorize sending a reporter across the country like that. One of our sister companies can cover this. They're closer to the action, and won't have an expense account to consider."

"Chief, come on!" Lois rolled her eyes in exasperation. "There's no one good enough there to uncover this story! This isn't just news! This is huge! If this really isn't some illusion or PR stunt, imagine the ramifications this could have. To be able to do the things this man did, he would have to be some kind of genetic experiment, or maybe even of alien origin! No human I know would be able to do those things."

She paused, studying her editor in chief for any signs that he was wavering. When she saw none, she rushed on. "Chief, think about this. This man could be the biggest story *ever.* The San Francisco Chronicle could go down in history as the newspaper who got the exclusive! Your name would also be in the books, as the editor in chief at the time that it happened."

Lois saw a light of interest spark in her editor's eyes and knew that had done it. She had him. With a rush of confidence, she continued. "You'd really be willing to let some sister newspaper send some inexperienced reporter to cover this and blow it? Send me. This has Pulitzer written all over it, and I want it."

Jim Langley studied his star reporter carefully, mulling things over. She was right. If anybody could get the scoop, it would be her. She was ruthless, determined. In all his years in the business, he'd never met another journalist so passionate and resourceful.

After what seemed like hours instead moments, he finally nodded. "Okay, Lois. Let me make a few phone calls and see what I can do."

"Great." Lois breathed a sigh of relief, knowing she'd won the battle. "Thanks, Chief. I'll be at my desk."

Leaving her editor alone, Lois wandered out into the newsroom and sat down at her desk. From there, she swiveled her chair around to watch the footage of the averted disaster being replayed over and over again on the bank of televisions.

It was amazing, really. If it had been staged, it could go down as the world's most amazing hoax. And if it was, she was ready to expose it. If it wasn't a hoax, though...if there really was a man out there who could fly, dispose of bombs, and lift transport vehicles into outer space...well, that would be even bigger news.

As the minutes ticked by, Lois tried to occupy herself by going over her notes for the next story she had brewing. She couldn't force her mind to focus, however, as she kept glancing up at the clock on the newsroom wall. She allowed herself a glance at her editor's office. He was still on the phone.

Unable to sit still as she anxiously awaited the verdict, she got up to pour herself a cup of coffee. She had just returned to her desk and sat down where Jim's voice boomed out across the newsroom.

"Lois, in my office!"

Lois jumped at her editor's voice, then quickly obeyed his command. Her eyes searched his intently as she waited for his answer, and her heart skipped a beat when she saw him nod.

"You catch the red eye first thing tomorrow. I've managed to get permission for you to work out of the Daily Planet there in Metropolis. Since we're owned by the same investment group, you won't be stepping on anybody's toes. But be sure to check in with Perry White when you get there. He's the Daily Planet's editor-in-chief, and an old friend of mine. He'll be expecting you."

Lois could hardly contain her excitement. "Thanks, Chief. You won't be disappointed."

"I'd better not be!" He gave her a stern look. "And just so you know, you only have three days. That's all I could manage." He held up his hand to stop her exclamation of dismay before she could utter it. "There's no use arguing. Be back here by the end of the week, and you better have something spectacular to show for it, understand?"

Lois nodded reluctantly. Three days! How was she supposed to get to the bottom of this in three days? She sighed as she left Jim's office. It wasn't much time, but if that was all she was going to get, she would just have to make the most of it.

Jim told her to head home and pack, so Lois hurried to the parking garage and was soon navigating the congested late afternoon traffic. By the time she got home, she knew she'd better hurry. She had three days to pack for, and she wanted to do a little research before she left. She planned to scour the Internet to see if anything turned up about this mysterious man. She just hoped she could find something to give her some clues as to how to contact this flying phenomenon.

As soon as her car was safely parked in the garage, Lois dashed into her building, only to see a group of a dozen or so tenants waiting to get into the elevator. She growled in frustration. She didn't have the time or the patience to wait. Instead, she bolted down the hall and threw open the door to the back stairwell. Taking the stairs two at a time up all three flights, she felt winded but exhilarated when she finally burst through the third-floor stairwell door.

The door banged open loudly against the hallway wall, and down the hall, Agnes looked up in surprise from where she waited with Princess for the elevator. The elderly woman's eyebrows lifted when she saw Lois emerge at a brisk walk from the stairwell, still breathing heavily.

"Where's the fire?" Agnes called out with a teasing glint in her eyes.

Lois attempted to grin as she panted for breath. "I didn't mean to startle you," she said as she hurried down the hall toward them on the way to her apartment. "I just got the okay to head to Metropolis on the Red Eye tomorrow to do a story on that mysterious man at the Prometheus transport vehicle. Did you see what happened?"

Agnes nodded, a light of curiosity brightening her features. "I saw it on CNN just a while ago. Do you think the guy's for real? Or just some carefully orchestrated hoax?"

Lois laughed. "Agnes, you sound just like me, questioning everything."

"I guess you're rubbing off on me." Her neighbor smiled good-naturedly. She watched Lois fumble with the keys to her apartment in her hurry to get in. "How long are you going to be gone?"

Lois finally managed to get the key into the lock and open the door. "Just 'till the weekend. My boss says that's all the time I have. How am I supposed to track this guy down and get the story in three days?"

Agnes smiled supportively. "If anyone can do it, Lois, you can."

Lois smiled her thanks, then stepped through her apartment's open door and glanced back at Agnes. "I only hope I get there in time. I want the exclusive, and I don't want anyone to beat me to it."

"Go get 'em, girl!" Agnes called out, causing Lois to wave her thanks before she shut her door.

Lois couldn't help smiling as she hurried into her bedroom to start packing. Agnes was her number one cheerleader. She loved that about her kindly neighbor. She didn't know what she would do without her, what with her family being gone....

Lois forced herself to shake the impending thoughts from her mind, refusing to allow herself to slip into a momentary bout of depression. She wasn't alone. She had friends. Well, she had Agnes, she corrected herself. But Agnes filled a huge void in her life, and for that, she would always be grateful.

Turning back to the task at hand, Lois pulled her suitcase down from the top shelf of her closet and laid it on the bed. She had no idea what to pack. It had been a long time since she'd been back east. It was Fall. Did that call for sweaters and suit jackets? Or was it still warm enough for skirts and blouses? She wanted to make sure she looked her best. After all, she knew there would be hundreds of other reporters vying for the story. And not just any story. *The* story. And to get a story of this magnitude, one needed to know what was involved in getting that story.

In that moment, Lois knew exactly what she needed to do.

If this wasn't a hoax, she was going to have to dress and look incredible enough to catch this mysterious flying man's eye. She didn't know anything about this man in particular, but he looked human enough to her. And she knew men. No man could resist a sexy woman.

She smirked to herself. This called for skirts. Short skirts. And drooping necklines. And curve-hugging clothes.

She turned to her closet and started rummaging through her wardrobe. *You don't want to look like a tramp, though,* the voice in the back of her head insisted. *Pick something sexy yet tasteful.*

A short time later, Lois had her suitcase packed. Several of her most heart-stopping outfits were included, and she threw in a pair of jeans, a pair of dark slacks that showed off her slim, curvy figure, and a couple of tight-fitting yet tasteful sweaters.

A look at the clock told her it was almost eight, and Lois knew she'd better grab a bite to eat and then unwind for the evening. She would have to leave her apartment very early the next morning to catch her flight, so she knew it would be imperative to turn in early. Besides, it was going to be a big day tomorrow. She would need every ounce of her energy to get this story. She was certain all her work would pay off in the end, though. It always did.

When Lois finally changed into her favorite sleepwear--an oversized T-shirt and boxers--she wandered through her apartment and turned off the lights. As she did, her apartment was immediately bathed in a comforting moonlit glow, conflicting the emotions pulling at Lois internally.

When Jim had first told her she only had three days, she had been disappointed. Over the course of the evening, however, Lois's disappointment had been quickly replaced by excitement. Even if it was only for three days, there was nothing she loved more than the thrill of the chase. She was able to put her abilities to the test, to let her mind work all angles of a potential story, and challenge herself mentally as well as physically. Being an investigative reporter was a much more physical job than most people realized. There were times she spent all day walking from place to place, tracking down leads and trying to beat other reporters to the story.

The excitement of what might be to come continued to grow within her as she climbed into bed and tried to sleep. But as hard as she tried, she couldn't still her thoughts or quell her jittery stomach. She was simply too wound up.

Throwing off her covers, Lois climbed out of bed and walked into the living room where her terrace beckoned her, the moonlight spilling across it invitingly. She slid the door open noiselessly and stepped out. The cement was cool beneath her bare feet as she walked to the edge and rested her hands on the wrought iron railing. As she looked out over the glimmering lights of the city, she closed her eyes and breathed in the cool night air.

A sigh of contentment escaped her lips. There had always been something soothing to her about the night--the inky black sky sprinkled with stars, the cool breeze that tickled her face, the feeling of oneness she felt with the universe. It was a feeling she only had at night, when the darkness seemed to ease her repressed heartache, and mask the cares of the world behind the veil of moonlight.

Some people felt lonelier at night, she knew; for her, it was completely the opposite. The night sky seemed to reach out for her, to draw her in. She often wondered what it would feel like to drift on the clouds that were cloaked in darkness and stare down at the city beneath her. She supposed it might give her a whole new perspective, maybe even help her understand what she felt was missing from her life. Maybe the clouds would even whisper to her about how to make her life complete.

She shook her head. *Foolish thoughts,* she chided herself. *Staying grounded is the only way to make it through life. Keep your head out of the clouds and maybe someday you'll find whatever it is you're looking for.*

The breeze picked up, causing an unexpected chill to run down her spine. She stared out over the horizon. Something felt different, something she couldn't quite put her finger on. In some strange, eerie way, it felt like there was change looming on the horizon.

She found herself wondering fleetingly if the strange sensations she felt had anything to do with this strange newcomer she was about to travel across the country to investigate. Maybe the change she felt coming had something to do with him.

*Of course it has something to do with him,* the little voice in the back of her head said. *This man is going to change your life by giving you the means to earning that Pulitzer Prize you've been working for all these years. That's why you're feeling what you are.*

Lois knew the voice in her head was probably right. That's all she was feeling. But even as the argument resounded in her mind, she couldn't help wondering if there was more to it than that.

She shivered at the sudden breeze and wrapped her arms around herself to ward off the chill. It was getting late. She needed to get to bed.

With one last, lingering look at the twinkling stars overhead, she found herself wondering if this mysterious man was off flying somewhere in that darkness of a night sky, the sky she'd long since emotionally reserved as her own.

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~