Print Thread
#164571 09/23/10 04:20 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi,

Did the show ever mention Lucy's age? I recall that Lois basically played mother to Lucy because Ellen's alcoholism kept her from behaving toward Lucy as a mother ought. But did L&C actually mention how much older Lois is than Lucy?

The answer may prove helpful for a piece of fanfic I am struggling to plot.

Thanks,
Lynn

#164572 09/23/10 05:20 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
It's never mentioned though Jimmy asks her out in early S1, so it could be presumed that they're near the same age. He's 20 at the end of S2, iirc. I believe there's conflicting info about his age though...

#164573 09/23/10 05:33 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I can't think of a specific episode in the show where their age difference was given. Most people use four years, but I'm not sure if that's because it's canon in the comics or has just become fanon. Either way, four years is generally accepted in the fandom and wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Supporting evidence, if you need more -- the implication that Lucy is fairly close in age to Jimmy, and that Lucy was talking about going back to college. Both would put her in her early 20's when Lois is in her mid-to-late 20's, so 4-5 years would work.

Kathy

#164574 09/24/10 12:53 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you Carol and Kathy.

Do you think it would be too much of a stretch to make them have 7 or 8 years age difference? It would work much better for my fic. (If not, I can come up with a workaround not involving Lucy, but she would be the most natural character to use for my purposes, since she is in canon.)

Thanks,
Lynn

#164575 09/24/10 04:23 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I think it would be a stretch, but that's not always a deal breaker for fanfic writers. <g>

Looking at it from the standpoint of the show, if they are 7-8 years apart, that would make Lucy 17-18 when she was living with Lois in the first few episodes. Lucy says Lois is 26 in the pilot, but we know from the dates given later on in the show that she would have only been 25 at that point, not turning 26 for about 5 more months. Since the pilot took place in May 1993 and the next few episodes soon thereafter, Lucy could theoretically have been living with Lois while going to high school, then have left town right after graduation to go to college in California (or traveling or visiting Ellen, etc.). That would explain why she disappeared after the first three episodes.

It does beg the question of whether Lois would give Jimmy permission to ask an underage Lucy out on a date -- Jimmy would have been about 19 in S1 -- or whether a 19-year-old S2 Lucy would date a presumably 20-something Johnny Corbin, but I think those things could be easily addressed (or ignored) in a fic, especially if it's a bit AU to begin with. smile

Does that help?

Kathy

#164576 09/24/10 05:55 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's never actually said out loud in the show, but the pilot script describes Lucy as being five years younger than Lois. (The description is in the first scene where Lucy appears.)

That said, there's nothing wrong with changing it for your story. Not every story fits with cannon in every detail.

BTW, I think that the idea of Lois mothering Lucy is fannon, not cannon. It's an extrapolation from their age difference and the fact that Ellen was an alcoholic. Does anyone know if it's established in the show?

This *is* my happily ever after.
#164577 09/25/10 12:59 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you Kathy and HappyGirl! I am definitely leaning towards not specifying their exact age difference, but implying that it is closer to seven or eight years.

In Smart Kids, Clark asks Lois if she has ever taken care of a child, and she answers, "My sister, Lucy." I could have sworn seeing her in some episode telling Clark that she practically raised Lucy on her own because of Ellen's alcoholism and her father's absenteeism, but I can't find that in any of the scripts when I look for it. As times permits, I'll look some more.

Joy,
Lynn

#164578 04/03/12 05:45 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by carolm:
It's never mentioned though Jimmy asks her out in early S1, so it could be presumed that they're near the same age. He's 20 at the end of S2, iirc. I believe there's conflicting info about his age though...
Actually, Jimmy says he's 21 in ASU:

"I don't want to bet my life on a rocket, Chief. I'm twenty-one years old. You've had a great career. I haven't even written my first story. I'm not ready to give up.
Although, when they do the Jimmy switch in S2,they may have made the new Jimmy younger (Maybe Justin from Lynn's Gofter No More was younger? laugh Of course, that doesn't explain the rash he develops in TJO sad ). I don't recall any other time Jimmy referring to his age.

Originally posted by KathyB:
It does beg the question of whether Lois would give Jimmy permission to ask an underage Lucy out on a date -- Jimmy would have been about 19 in S1 -- or whether a 19-year-old S2 Lucy would date a presumably 20-something Johnny Corbin, but I think those things could be easily addressed (or ignored) in a fic, especially if it's a bit AU to begin with.
Um... Yeah. Most 19 year old girls prefer older men. If Lucy was 18 (in senior year, prior to going to college), it would make sense Jimmy (20 or 21 at series beginning) asking Lois's permission. I'd doubt he'd be stupid enough to ask Lois's underage sister out on a date (and incur Lois's wrath). Anyway, doesn't Lucy turn him down? (Poor Jimmy.)

Supporting evidence, if you need more -- the implication that Lucy is fairly close in age to Jimmy, and that Lucy was talking about going back to college.
When does Lucy talk about going back to college? I could see Lois suggesting it as a good idea (in Metallo), but I don't recall the words coming from Lucy's mouth.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#164579 04/03/12 06:42 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Lynn,

I don't reacll any specific age difference being mentioned either. huh

In my Matchmeker set I am using a four year difference, but, anything around that should be adequate. cool

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
#164580 04/03/12 08:10 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Glad to have stumbled across this. So, I'm thinking five years should work. Thanks to everyone for all the useful information. cool

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#164581 04/03/12 07:40 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Not that it helps much with the amount of twists/character tweaking that I've done in Contractually Bound, but I made them 4 years apart in it.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard