Chapter 16
The Family Hour

'I LEAVE BEHIND A WORLD FULL OF HEROS'

That was the banner headline displayed above the Planet's coverage of Superman's press conference and Lane and Kent's last interview with the superhero. The world had been stunned by the news, but on the whole the public had understood the Man of Steel's need to attend to problems at home. Somehow it made him seem more approachable. The people could identify with 'domestic issues.'

Of course, there were those who complained that Superman was ignoring their needs for the sake of his world, but most people wished him God speed and hoped he would be able to return to Earth someday.

Clark knew it was all a sham and that bothered him, but this time he was more pragmatic about his cover story. Everything had gone according to plan, and Clark Kent had even made it back to work the day after the conference, admittedly looking a little more frail than usual. However, that fitted perfectly well with the 'experimental treatment' he had supposedly endured on the day of the conference.

The frenzied interest the media and the public had shown at Superman's absence and his subsequent leaving faded day-by-day, reminding Lois and Clark, once again, that news stories were only 'seven-day wonders.' Meanwhile, they continued to enjoy exploring their new togetherness.

The couple attended their next regular visit with the doctor. Everything was fine and Lois and the baby were given an outstanding report. Only three weeks to go and both parents were getting very excited. Clark took his little family out for lunch before they returned to the newsroom.

Clark was basking in the newfound closeness with his wife. There was seldom a moment when he wasn't touching her. He held her hand when they walked and kept an arm around her shoulder when they sat close on the sofa. And he wasn't so shy about leaning over to kiss her softly, even in the newsroom, often causing Perry to remind them that this was their place of work and not 'Lover's Lane.' Lois paid little attention to the Chief's protests; any kiss from Clark moved Lois' world.

One day faded into two, and two into three; Lois was thrilled everyone continued to stay healthy. It had never occurred to her that routine could come to mean so much. Every morning she awoke and prayed to make it through the day; they were too close to lose Clark now.

Clark had wanted nothing more in his life than to be normal, and since his little 'flash' of super powers, when he'd talked to the press, he had been. Even floating in his sleep had stopped and there were no powers to help with the every day things he took for granted. Yet for some reason, he couldn't be happier.

Of course, he knew exactly why he was so happy. Lois was here with him. She was his wife and he could no longer doubt her feelings for him. She was having their baby in less than two weeks. He wasn't sure what the future would hold, but he found himself looking forward to it all.

He also found himself thinking back to their interrupted Christmas Day celebration. He'd tried to apologize to his parents about it while they were in Metropolis for the press conference, but they'd thoroughly chastised him for feeling guilty. Martha choked up several times and had assured him that *he* was the best Christmas gift they could ever receive.

Between them, the 'four' Kents had discussed the tentative plans for the older couple's move to Metropolis, but Clark couldn't help but be upset about losing his old home. It was the first home he'd ever known on Earth. It had been his refuge when his 'growing up' had taken a very strange turn, and he'd wanted to have that same safe haven for his child.

Once again, Martha and Jonathan promised to think very deeply before taking any action, and even Clark couldn't deny that having his parents living near at hand would be a very good thing. When they'd said goodbye at the airport, he'd told them each he loved them and trusted them to make the right decision.

Now he made plans to celebrate his aborted Christmas with his wife.

Lois made it home around seven. She had gotten so large, she was finding it very difficult to last out even her 'shortened' day at the office. Maybe it was time to take maternity leave.

Her shoes were discarded by the door, much to the relief of her swollen ankles. When she turned, she had to take a quick breath. The entire apartment was covered in Christmas lights. A small tree sat on the table beside the sofa with gifts laid beneath. The table had been set for dinner and soft music played in the background.

Clark stepped into the room from the bedroom, dressed in red pajamas and holding a box. "We missed Christmas. I thought maybe I could make it up to you and say Happy Valentine's Day all at the same time."

"Oh, Clark. This is so beautiful." She walked slowly, down into the room.

He held out the box. "You must be tired, and I knew you'd want to be comfortable, so…" He smiled as she took the gift.

It held a nightshirt, red and large enough for her to relax in. The front read: 'Mommy needs special attention this year.' There was both a Christmas theme and one for Valentine's Day.

"How did you find a shirt like this?" she questioned, as she studied the unusual print of 'holly and hearts' which adorned the front.

"I had it made," he told her and started to guide her toward the bathroom. "Why don't you put it on and we'll eat."

"Sounds good."

A few minutes later, Clark held a chair for her and they settled to eat the light dinner in their pajamas. Talk revolved around work and their expectations for the baby. When dinner was done, they moved to the sofa and worked on the memory book for a while. Clark gave Lois a certificate for a full day at the spa, to be used after the baby's birth to make her feel special. He told her he'd wanted to do something to thank her for the wonderful gift she'd given him, but he had to tell her that there was no crying tonight. She laughingly blinked back her tears and presented him with his Valentine's gift.

Lois had tried desperately to come up with a gift that would encompass what she felt for him, and she wanted something that would symbolize the new status of their marriage. On impulse she'd opted for something a little extravagant.

"Lois?" Clark questioned as he looked down at what appeared to be reservations at a resort in Hawaii.

"A second honeymoon… Or a first if you look at how we spent our first one."

His eyes searched hers, praying that this was Lois' way of finally pledging her commitment. "Are you sure, Lois?"

She reached out and placed a hand along side his cheek. "Yes," was all she said.

Clark's lips spread into a smile and he leaned to kiss her softly. Both moaned and moved to deepen the encounter. Clark's hand slid across her stomach as he continued his assault on her mouth. After a few moments, he drew back.

"Honey, when was last time you felt the baby move?"

Lois furrowed her brow. Now that she thought of it, it had been quite a while. Was it this morning? Was it last night?

She splayed her hands over her bulge and her voice rose in alarm. "Oh, Clark, I don't know."

"Relax. The baby usually stops moving right before it's born. If I had my x-ray vision, I'd take a peek. Since I don't, how about we go see the doctor?"

"We still have nearly two weeks to go."

"I know. But Lois, this Kryptonian/Earth mix is unknown territory. What if she's ready now? Could be one reason you're so big. Besides, it's not uncommon for babies to come a couple weeks early."

"Or something could be wrong. Oh, Clark, we can't lose our baby."

"Lois, no." He cupped her face gently and demanded she calm down. "There is nothing wrong with our baby." Just to further relax her, he gave her a soft kiss. "Now, come on. I'll prove to you the baby's okay."

Thirty minutes later they were entering the exam room at their OB. The office offered an emergency clinic to cut down on so many anxious and unnecessary trips to the hospital by parents who were not quite ready to bring their baby into the world.

Unfortunately, Doc Lewis wasn't on duty and Lois' anxiety increased. She threw Clark a worried glance, but he simply shrugged and squeezed her hand encouraginly. At this moment, he was grateful for any competent physician.

The doctor smiled up at Lois after she examined her. "Well, young lady. I believe you need to get yourself over to the hospital."

"Why? What's wrong?"

"Nothing. You're nearly six centimeters dilated."

"What?"

"How's that possible? She hasn't had the first contraction," Clark told her.

"And it's too early."

"I can't help that. You're ready to deliver." The doctor smiled again. "Believe me, everything is fine and it's not too early." She patted Lois' leg and left the couple to get themselves together.

Lois looked over at Clark with tears in her eyes. "I'm so excited."

"Me, too." Clark kissed her lips as he helped her dress.

As dawn broke over the Metropolis skyline, Clark stared down at his newborn's beautiful brown eyes as she gazed back up at him. He was crying as he tried to keep his hands from shaking too badly.

"How is she?" Lois asked in a tired voice.

Clark turned to face his exhausted wife. "She's absolutely perfect." He raised his daughter to his lips and kissed her gently. "I love you, sweetie." He walked over to Lois' bed and lowered their daughter into her arms. "God, Lois, I can't believe how beautiful she is."

"I know." Lois was smoothing her fingers over her baby's soft cheeks, while Clark's large hand stroked her thick black hair.

"We need to name this beauty," he whispered wonderingly.

"You pick."

"Come on, honey. I can't do that. She's your daughter, too."

Lois stared at the tiny face beneath her before looking at Clark with tear filled eyes. "Mira. Her name should be Mira."

"Mira? Why Mira, honey?"

"It's like miracle." Lois kissed her daughter's face. "She's our own living, breathing miracle."

"Yeah!" Clark was still staring entranced at his little daughter. "I can't disagree with you there. How about Mira Leigh?"

"Mira Leigh Kent...." Lois smiled down at the baby. "Happy birthday, Mira Leigh."

Clark smiled at his girls and brushed Lois' damp hair off her forehead. "Thank you."

"Clark…"

"No, baby. I mean it. She's alive because of you. Even if the transplant doesn't work, *she* means more to me than my life ever could."

Lois cupped Clark's face in her hand. "I love you, Clark," she whispered.

Clark's hand covered hers on his face. "I didn't think it was possible, but you've just made me happier than I was a minute ago." He kissed her palm before he leaned over to kiss her lips.

Clark had waited his whole life to hear those words. Spoken softly, in the dim light of the hospital, they sounded sweeter than he could have ever imagined. Lois had entered into this crazy situation to save his life. He'd proposed the marriage out of some selfish need to experience a little of the life any 'normal' man would expect to have before he died. He'd often dreamed that those three little words would transform this last year into something even more special. But it wasn't the words at all. It was the knowledge that the woman in front of him meant them with all her heart.

Mira Leigh Kent tipped the scales at eight pounds on the nose. She was a big baby with bright eyes that searched the world around her, and just hours after her birth she offered up a smile to her father. Clark was so tickled he couldn't stop talking about it. He hadn't even been disappointed because she'd arrived a full ten days before her due date. Sharing the same birthday seemed to pale in comparison to just having her alive and healthy.

The older Kents hadn't made it in time for the birth, but planned to stay two weeks to get to know their newest family member. They arrived the same day Lois and Mira were released from the hospital to go home. It was a couple of extremely proud grandparents that met their grand daughter for the first time.

At his mom's suggestion, Clark took Lois to see a couple of larger apartments and after some discussion, and some financial help from Perry, they put a 'down payment' on a top floor apartment with a spacious loft and a very convenient balcony. Lois pointed out that Superman could fly in and out without being seen... once he was back in business, of course.

With plenty of help from both sides of their families and friends, the fastest move between houses in history was made within just a week and half. Both Lois and Clark were tickled when a large gang from the Planet showed up to help them set up home. They hadn't realized they had so many friends.

Wanting to show off their little Mira to everyone, Martha decided to host a dinner party the day before they returned to the farm. Since they'd been in Metropolis, they'd received a phone call telling them an offer had been made on their farm, and so they would be going home to tie up all of their affairs in preparation for their move into the city. The older couple were a little concerned about sharing their news with Clark, as he hadn't been exactly pleased when they'd first told him of their plans. However, he surprised them by agreeing.

Clark had given the situation a lot of thought and he'd discussed the move with Lois. Between them they'd decided that it would be really nice to have Martha care for Mira, rather than putting her in the daycare center at the Planet. Clark also felt that the threat of his dying was still very real, and he appreciated the fact that his parents would be near at hand. Lois would need their support if the worst happened... but he was so in love with life at the moment that he refused to dwell on such morbid thoughts.

Monday afternoon was not the ideal time for a party, but it was the only time everyone could come together. So, both sets of grandparents, along with Perry and Jimmy, who were now very much part of the family, joined the proud parents in celebrating the birth of the gorgeous baby girl who had changed everyone's lives.

Even Ellen had been hooked the first time she laid eyes on the child. She might not have agreed with the couple having a baby so soon after they were married, but her grandchild had melted her cynical heart. Perhaps this was time for a new beginning, even for her, and she made up her mind to be less critical of her daughter and her husband. After all, Clark did seem to be a very nice young man, and Sam was showing some interest in his family, at last. Maybe miracles did still happen, occasionally.

Martha had cooked a large meal and everyone was gathered around the table in the dining room. Perry droned on about his star reporters being partners in every sense of the word, and Jimmy snapped pictures endlessly.

Lois couldn't help but notice how lovingly Clark held his little girl. He wore a constant smile as he showed his baby to everyone.

When the small crowd moved to the living room, Clark stood and his smile faded. "I'd like to say something." The voices died down and all eyes turned to Clark.

"I've heard the comments about my daughter's name. It's kinda unusual, so you're all wondering where it comes from. Mira is short for miracle... and that's exactly what she is. Lois named her because of the significance of her existence. Or, at least, one aspect of it." Lois' eyes widened as he spoke. "As some of you know, I have cancer."

Ellen and Sam both gasped. The younger couple had not informed them of this. Even when he'd been hospitalized recently, they'd only been told he had pneumonia.

Clark had wanted to tell them some time ago, and Lois had agreed... in principle. But she hardly ever saw either of her parents. Since the boxing scandal, her father had immersed himself in other bizarre scientific projects and, though her mother kept an apartment in the city, she spent her time travelling. On the rare occasions when they did meet, Lois felt so awkward and on edge that she found it very difficult to communicate with them, especially about something so profound. She'd let time get away from her, but now she knew she'd been wrong.

"I'm sorry, Mother, Daddy. We really should have told you before now."

"Yes, we should, and I'm very sorry to have shocked you with the news like that," Clark added contritely. "I was given only a few years to live. That was cut in half as my disease worsened. I have a form of leukemia that has not responded to treatment. I hadn't planned to tell anyone what I'm about to say, but since you are all family…" He looked down at the baby in his arms. "Mira was conceived in an attempt to save my life. I needed a genetic match so that a bone marrow transplant could be performed, but as I'm adopted, no match was ever discoverd. My doctor believed that a transplant would send my disease into remission, so Lois sug...."

Ellen jumped on that one immediately. "You mean, this whole marriage is one giant sham?"

"You talked my daughter into this crazy idea?" Sam spoke up next.

Perry, however, remained silent as he listened to the exchange. He'd suspected something like this, although he would have never said a word.

Lois was quick to correct her parents. "He didn't talk me into anything. I asked him to have the baby with *me*."

"Of course you did. You always did have to do things against the grain. So, why the hell did you marry him? You could have had a child for him without being married." The shocking news had stunned Ellen into forgetting her new resolution, and she stared at her daughter in disbelief. Hadn't Lois learned anything from her experience?

"Yes, Mother, I could have. But Clark wanted his child born into a marriage."

"Kind of convenient, I'd say." She shot Clark a disgusted glance. "And the added bonus of having to *make* a baby probably didn't hurt."

"Mother!" Lois had eased up on the sofa, her agitation stretched to the limit.

"Ellen! That's enough!" Sam's deep voice filled the room, but he quickly toned it down when he heard the baby whimper. "Please, if you'd hush and listen, they might explain what exactly is going on here."

Everyone, especially Ellen, was shocked into silence.

"Thank you," Clark told Sam. "Ellen, you'll probably find it hard to believe, but I love Lois very much. And I love our daughter... I have loved her from the moment she was conceived. Lois and I may have started out with one objective in mind, but things are very different now."

"I'm sure they are. You have the best of both worlds." Ellen's skepticism just wasn't going to let her drop the subject.

"I'm really sorry you believe that," Clark told her softly. "I do *love* Lois. And…" He ran a hand over Mira's head. "When I saw Mira for the first time, months ago on a tiny monitor, I knew then I couldn't make her suffer just to save my life."

Lois looked up at Clark with horrified eyes. "Clark?" She no longer cared what her mother thought.

"This baby means more to me than my own life ever could. I don't want to think about causing her a moment's pain, no matter what the reason." He looked up and smiled. "So… there won't be a transplant."

"What?!" Lois may have just had a baby two weeks earlier, but she moved like an athlete as she shot to her feet. "Clark, we've had Bernie explain the effects on Mira. I thought you understood...."

"That was before she was born. It's just so different now that she's her own little person. I can't do that to her, Lois. She didn't ask to be brought into this world for that reason. I won't have everyone looking at her like she's just a 'donor,' created to save my life, because she isn't!"

"No one would think that!" Lois argued.

"You're mother already does, Lois...."

"Maybe I was a little hasty," Ellen offered, but her voice was soft and the young couple were too intent on each other to pay her much heed.

"I can't put Mira through that, Lois. Please don't ask me to."

Lois was beyond anger. She was in a rage. This was something they should have discussed. How dare he make this kind of decision on his own? And if she'd been fearful before about living without Clark, now she was terrified. How could she go on alone?

"So you'd rather leave her than stay and be her father?" Clark could only beg Lois with his eyes to understand. "How could you? You bas...." she choked on the last word and pushed past him on her way up the stairs.

"Lois, please." Clark was about to follow when his mother put out her arm to stop him.

"What is wrong with you?" she asked in a low, clipped tone.

"Mom, you have to understand. This procedure will hurt her. How can I do that to her?"

"How long do you think she'll hurt if her father dies?" Martha, too, was shaking with anger. She reached to take the baby from Clark. He drew back, but her expression told him he best back down. He gently handed over his daughter to his mother. "I'm taking Mira into her room for her nap. You better talk to your guests. When they leave, I'd suggest you get yourself upstairs and make this up to your wife."

Clark sighed as his mother walked away.

"Clark, I don't fully understand what's going on inside your head," Sam started. "But I assure you, Mira wouldn't be in very much pain from a simple marrow extraction." The reasons behind all the young couple's actions no longer seemed important to Sam, and the doctor in him wanted to help. "I really don't think there are any medical reasons for you to worry."

Clark faced his father-in-law. "That's what Dr Klein said, but I've read that things can go horribly wrong. She'll be sore and it won't be easy to handle her."

"All that's true. But, the chances of things going wrong are very rare, and the recovery rate of a baby is so much quicker than that of an adult. Mira is a very healthy baby, and within a few days, she'll be as active and energetic as a child who hasn't been through a thing. Clark, please don't make a drastic decision because you're afraid of causing your daughter pain. She'll get over that short trauma far more easily than growing up without a father. Don't do what I did!" Sam's voice was thick with remorse.

"Clark, forget about what other people will say." Everyone cast a raised brow at Ellen, as she came forward into the middle of the room. "I know what you're all thinking -- I constantly harp on about other people's opinion -- and I've just given Clark a hard time because of that. But, Clark, even I can see that the most important thing here is not how you and Lois got into this situation, but how you're going to get out of it. And, I'm not blind. I realize that you and Mira are the best things that have ever happened to my daughter. Son, I may not be the best mother-in-law you could have wished for, but I can see the difference in Lois. If you died without trying this, she'd be devastated. You didn't see how badly she suffered when you were hospitalized."

"But how can I live with the incredible guilt of putting my own baby through this?"

Perry finally decided it was time to add his two cents. "Ah, well, son, I might 'shoot the breeze', now and then… well, you know, about Elvis and such… but I do know one thing. Clark, Mira may have started out as some hare-brained idea to save your life, but how can you not see that if she wasn't meant to be here, she wouldn't?"

"That's exactly my point, Perry. She has a purpose. Her life exists for a reason. I just have a hard time believing it's simply to save my life."

"I have to agree with you there, boy," Jonathan spoke up for the first time. "She's been alive for all of two weeks and look how much she's done in that short time."

"What?" Clark asked, a little confused. Where was his father going with this?

"Well, you have a mother-in-law there that thought you two having a baby was insane… until she met her granddaughter, that is. She might try to hide it, but anyone can see she's as proud as can be of that little girl." Jonathan smiled at Ellen, as she nodded her head firmly in agreement. "And what about Sam? He used to believe he needed a boy to make his life complete. I'm sure he has a few doubts now."

"A lot, Jonathan," the other man agreed. "I'm hoping this little treasure will help me mend a few fences, too, Clark."

"Then there's Perry. I'll bet he hasn't been out of that newsroom at lunch time in years," Jonathan continued.

"You got me there! And seeing Mira has made me realize that if I'd paid more attention to my sons when they were growing up, they might not be in so much trouble now," Perry admitted, doing his bit to stress the fact that a child needed both its parents.

"And what about Jimmy? He's an uncle now."

"Hey, that's right. Uncle Jimmy. I like the sound of that." The younger man beamed brightly. He would be the best uncle Mira could possibly ask for.

"Sure, Mira has a purpose. She has many. Over her life she will accomplish great things. She's already accomplished one. She's brought her parents together. Don't be a lunkhead and separate them. She's a very special little girl, and she needs a very special Mommy and *Daddy* to raise her." Jonathan clapped his son's shoulder, silently begging him to understand what he'd said.

Clark dropped to the sofa behind him. For weeks he'd seriously entertained the thought of not going through with the transplant. When he saw Mira only minutes after birth, he couldn't imagine subjecting her to undue pain and suffering on his account. At the same time he couldn't imagine not living to watch her grow. And of course, if she healed as quickly as Dr. Klein suspected, she'd hardly know there had been a donation taken from her body. Still, his mind warred over the morality of the whole thing. If he loved her half as much as he claimed, why do this to her? It no longer mattered that saving his life had been the whole reason for the conception in the first place. He loved this little person that he and Lois had created.

<If you love her, don't leave her> his inner voice told him. <Don't make Lois raise her alone.>

Clark felt someone sit beside him, and a woman's hand rested gently on his arm.

"Clark, it's time for us to leave; you have to discuss this with Lois. But, before you do, think of this -- if Lois lost you, it would kill something inside of her. She's just learned to trust again.... Don't take that away from her. Don't let her turn into someone like me." Ellen spoke sadly, without rancor, and everyone listening was touched deeply by her words.

Sam coughed and flushed guiltily, while Clark stared at his mother-in-law. Coming from Ellen, that had to mean a lot, and he realized there was a great deal of truth in what she had said. He rose and saw his guests out, and all the while the points for and against the transplant continued to reverberate in his brain. Ellen was right about one thing: he needed to talk to Lois, and the sooner the better.

"Lois?"

She was sitting on the edge of her side of the bed staring out the window. "I'll have Dr. Klein take the sample without your consent. Then you'll be forced to either let him perform the transplant or die with the knowledge that she suffered in vain." Desperation had driven her to try to manipulate Clark, but her voice was infinitely sad; she knew her threat was an empty one.

He eased down beside her, unable to look at her while he spoke. "I'm just so scared to hurt her. She's perfect and I didn't think I could love her any more than I already do."

"Don't you think I know that?" she shot at him as she faced him. "Clark, you're talking to the woman who insisted she'd never have children. I hated the idea until I mentioned it at the start of all this. Even then I wasn't so sure. So much has changed since then. I've fallen completely in love with her. I can't imagine living without her now. But, sweetie, I can't imagine life without you either."

"That's what your mom said."

Lois' eyes widened. "She did? I always knew I'd need my mother sometime in my life. Clark, she's right. Neither Mira nor I want to go on without you."

Clark turned to meet her gaze. "Okay, baby, we'll do this."

"You won't regret it," she told him.

Clark stared at his beautiful wife as her eyes shimmered with unshed tears. He lifted his hand to cup her cheek. "I love you."

"And I love you."

"Do you have plans for tonight?"

"What?"

"I'd like to have dinner with my wife. I can ask Mom to listen out for Mira for a little while. I'll grill steaks and we can eat in bed."

"Mmm, that sounds wonderful. There's something really lazy about eating in bed."

"Great." Clark kissed Lois tenderly before standing and turning down the quilt. "Come on!" He gestured. "You need to rest. Have a nap while Mira is sleeping."

"Yes, Daddy." She pretended to pout as he tucked her under the covers. "Just remember, if you get any crumbs in here later, you're the one who's sleeping on them."

"Okay! You're so cute when you do that." Clark rubbed his finger against her nose. "Rest. I need to go apologize to my mom. She was as upset as you were earlier."

"Well, she had a right to be. Her son told her he was going to lie down and die. How would you feel if you were about to lose Mira?"

The wind emptied from Clark's sails. He sank back to the bed. "Damn!"

"Clark, don't be so hard on yourself. This is a difficult situation."

"But, Lois… I just hadn't thought…" He looked back at her with tear filled eyes. "Baby, I'm *so* sorry. I will never hurt you or anyone like that again."

Lois leaned up to press a kiss to his lips. "One day at a time."

Clark's world came full circle with that comment. He'd forgotten their agreement so long ago. Once again, he knew Lois was everything he'd ever wanted in life. He would fight for his life, if for nothing more than to return a small portion of the happiness she'd brought to him. And he'd fight to always be there for Mira.

Clark stood in the doorway of Mira's room and watched as Martha lowered her precious grandchild to the mattress of the crib. The older woman straightened and stood to look down at the angel before her. Clark slipped quietly into the room and wrapped his arms around his mother's body to pull her close.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered in her ear. "I keep forgetting I'm not the only one in this equation."

Martha put her head back against her son's chest, her hands resting on his arms. She didn't know what to say. The fear of losing her son was so great it made her physically ill some days. When he'd said he wasn't going to attempt to try the procedure to save his life, she'd been desolate. She'd wanted to scream in frustration. This had all been so difficult for him, and she didn't pretend to imagine how he must feel. However, she hurt just as badly and was terrified at the thought of losing him.

Clark slipped his hands into Martha's and the two stood in silence as they looked at the sleeping baby before them.

"I used to stand for hours watching you sleep," Martha whispered after a while. "I couldn't believe I'd been given such an incredible gift."

"I know exactly how you feel. Mira is amazing." He turned his mother to face him. "I just didn't want to hurt her."

"Clark…"

He put a finger to her lips to stop her protests. "I'm going to fight. I know now to choose to leave her would be worse than any marrow donation could ever be."

"Thank you."

"Thank you," he told her as he pulled her in for a hug. "I love you, mama."

"Oh, honey, I love you."

Clark drew back to share a smile with his mother. "Come on. I'll buy you a cup of coffee. I'd like to take a walk. And I have to ask if you'd babysit tonight. I promised my wife dinner-in-bed."

Martha pushed her arm around Clark's waist and together they left the room. Neither knew what tomorrow would bring. All they knew was they'd face it together… as a family.