Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay...did the dashes work for you? goofy

In deference to Paul, I was tempted to end this one after Lois's 'she didn't care at all', making it 8 pages instead of 12.

But I figured that would be very mean and leave you hurtling in the wrong direction entirely as to what was coming up in part five. laugh

Hope you enjoy.

LabRat [Linked Image]

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
Hope you enjoy.
Sure!!! wink

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Discovery Channel hadn't told her how to deal with one of those. Though it had been pretty graphic on providing lots of detail about what you could expect being a victim of one.
laugh Good 'ole Discovery Channel strikes again!

Great part; it's tremendously fun being inside Lois' head. :p

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lab, you're killing me, as usual LOL! Loving it, every minute. thumbsup Okay now bring on part 5, HURRY!!!! hail Can't wait to see what happens next ......

P.S. I've been lurking under a rock for a few years (been a FoLC since '94), but I am most certainly a huge, long-standing fan of your writing. laugh

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Rat, this was lovely... though I was shouting at Lois for much of it to GET A CLUE!!!! laugh

Men. Why couldn't they just admit when they were in trouble and accept they needed help? Would it kill them to let you know they were hurting, for pity's sake? Why did they have to stick to that macho bull?

"It doesn't hurt much," she said, hoping he didn't hear the tightness in her voice as she did.
rotflol I was literally giggling for ages after reading this! Brilliant!

I'm afraid the dashes didn't work for me nearly as well as the ellipses, after all. I had to scratch my head and remember why they were there before they looked ok.

So... I just have to hope that Lois poking and prodding Clark's upper body region does more to raise their respective temperatures than Clark poking and prodding her foot... laugh

More soon, please!
Mere smile

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
All that dedicated, obsessive compulsive emergency readiness had been beginning to make her feel inadequate. Did she *know* where the candles were in her apartment? Actually...yes, she realized in surprised triumph. At least, she was *pretty* sure there was a stub of one in back of the kitchen drawer. The flashlight lived...er...well wherever it had been used last. Which *was* organized, she told herself firmly. And logical. So long as you could remember where you last used it you'd find it no problem at all.
rotflol

Labby, all that was just hilarious!! Well done-- you "got" Lois' internal reaction (and external reation too, I guess wink ) right on the nose!

The stylish inside of the deserted cabin on the lake is so completely different than what they expected, and is so different from what they just endured-- nice use of description here to paint us a pretty detailed picture. I liked how Clark was a bit oblivious to Lois' increasing response to him, however reluctant she was to acknowledge it. Then he picked up on it, too. And Lois was so busy denying she felt anything, then this:
"Yeah, well, that's only because I warned them off...." She paused looking a little off balance for a moment, as though she hadn't meant to qualify her actions, and then went on blithely with a wave of a dismissive hand, "You know, because I figured you wouldn't want to be dealing with all that tacky office romance stuff while you were just starting out, trying to establish yourself with Perry. You don't need that kind of distraction. You need to focus."

Clark blinked. "Oh," he said. And then, tentatively, "Thanks."
rotflol

She's trying so hard to act like she feels nothing, like nothing is there-- but she slips up and mentions she's "warned [everyone else] off"...

And poor Clark is completely unused to having a wound, much less having it tended; but for all the pain and green gills, the atmosphere keeps... um, improving is the way we Folcs would describe it, right? wink

I sorta have to agree with Mere about the dashes-- they almost work here, but I too had to sort of backtrack to remember they're still way short of breath. But you're so close-- what if they "panted" instead of "whispered", or you added "gasping" or similar... like this:

"Come on, Baby Bear," she whispered, still out of breath, clutching at his sleeve (etc)...

Or this:

Clark turned to Lois, trying to catch his breath. . "I don't think...what -- are you -- doing?" he panted, frowning.

And this:

Clark." She turned on him, wearily, breathing raggedly and shivering.

And one more;

But after a moment's teetering on the brink, he made it safely, dropped down onto the floor. From inside the kitchen, he glanced back at her through the window, out of breath again. "Go back around -- to the front. I'll let -- you in."

Maybe something similar to that would work? Like I said, you've just about got it.

This is another great section. We the gentle-but-seriously-out-of-breath readers can pause in this interlude to catch our own breath right along with Lois and Clark. No guns, they can get warmed up, and there's that nice atmosphere that keeps the gentle readers perched firmly on the edge of their seats, breathing steadily now and wiping the dregs of coffee from their keyboards where it's been soaking in since the guns started firing... oh, wait, I'm off on a tangent here... We can enjoy the somewhat charged quiet interlude (or is that an oxymoron?) and wait to see what happens next.

And we're going to find out soon, right, Labby?? You forgot to put "later this evening" after your "tbc"... Lab, are you there?? More soon?

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nice, sweet interactions in this part!

I thought the dashes would work for me but I think I like ellipses better too..sorry! blush

Ahhh..now that was a relaxing part after all that chaos! Lois was cracking me up about the alligators..too funny! And her disapproval of tidy, organized people! lol

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
LabRat

WOW, this is excellent. smile1

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice Labby. I am looking forward to more. It was hard to remember that is was cold when there was so much heat between them<g> Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Making even less sense. Forgetting stuff very quickly. Am now switching to comment-as-I-read mode, and cleaning up typos as fast as I can.

So, first off, dashes don't work for me, either. They sound good in theory, but in practice, they're just weird and distracting. At least, IMHO. Sorry to once again contribute to your FDK folder being about punctuation.

Love the Baby Bear bit. <g>

Was a bit confused by switching from a description of the inside (complete with "Hello? Anybody here?") to the need for a "key" to get in, but rereading, I see I missed the fact that he was looking in through a window. Probably just me being tired, but it may be something to consider in passing as you give it that archive polish.

I like the brooding cabin, and Lois's key.

Poor not-used-to-being-frozen Clark.

Poor not-used-to-being-grounded Clark.

Poor too-stupid-and/or-stubborn-to-have-packed-a-warm-coat Lois.

Poor too-silly-to-realize-alligators-don't-climb-trees-and-especially-not-in-the-frozen-woodland-and-also-really-really-don't-flutter Lois. You're funny, Lois, but, really, if you'd paid a bit more attention to the Discovery Channel, you'd know that all you need to do is hold its jaws shut.

Good sensitive Clark. <pat, pat>

lol, ninjas. Ninjas with guns. Good thing ninjas are patient. Not sure about ninjas with guns, though. Are they patient?

Silly Lois. Streetlights are for streets, not trees. (Treelights are for trees, but only expensive ones.)

lol about yuppie retreat.

Silly Lois. Alligators can't open doors. Only CGI velociraptors can do that.

Aww. Cozy little possible madhouse cabin in the middle of nowhere which is probably surrounded by machine gun toting bad guys, isn't it?

"nature's spectaculars" ... ? Indication of sleepy Lois? Indication of sleepy Paul? US/UK thing? Other?

Bad Lois. Sit. Stay. (Yeah, right.)

Lack of candles decidedly odd. Gas heat? No, would still be odd. Hmm. Well, glad Lois is happy about it, anyway. LOL about her own orginization. ... And her fridge.

<scowls at Clark> You are not a mother hen. You have not been hypnotized into thinking you're one. (At least, not this time.) Get out of the frozen poultry section, Clark.

Oh. Lois kind of likes it. That's okay, then, I guess. This time. Being properly gentlemanly and comforting and suchlike.

By the way, Clark, how are you feeling? You seem to be walking around okay, but is that just for Lois's benefit? I know you're feeling a bit better than she was, but last I saw, you weren't really in great shape. Lois, wake up and tell me how Clark's doing, will you?

Hmm. Clark's wondering, Lois is wondering. I'm wondering why everyone is wondering so much about a first aid kit.

Kudos to mysterious hopefully-not-psycho house owners for having a proper "we're in the middle of nowhere, we really should be ready..." first aid kit. Nice detail, too, and lol about Lois's reaction to it.

Malaria pills? Really. How very interesting. Unless Lois is using hyperbole on me. Gotta watch her. She knows all sorts of judo.

Ooo. Good careful Clark. Good boy.

lol, was just chiding that little voice in the back of my mind for having picked up on the phrase "throbbing in her partner's hands" and then Lois goes and does that. Bad Paul. Good Lois.

Hey, wait. Now Lois is thinking. Stop that, Lois! Kae, come here and tell Lois to stop thinking, will you? Where's a TTT when you need one?

Oh. There's that "didn't care at all" that you were talking about. Actually, here I am, 4am, thinking I really should be getting ready for bed now that it's far enough from dinner that I can take my nighttime meds. Now would be a good place to stop for a while. What's that, little voice? I shouldn't encourage her? The other readers will do what? Oh. Well, in any case, I'm glad to have the option of reading more, because I'm certainly enjoying reading this much. Really, there isn't that much more. I can keep going for a little while longer. Yeah...

lol, knew you weren't talking about CK=SM. Especially not with Clark bleeding and all. Would never have thought of glass slippers. Very fitting. (Er... if you'll pardon the term.) Glad Clark got it. That's cool.

"Down, boy"? What? Kae, I need you and that TTT again...

Ooo, good Lois. This is so sweet.

I'm really liking this scene. Nice to see them happy and quasi-fliting. With slightly more honesty than perhaps intended. Cool.

Poor confused Clark, though. Hmm. Glance tells me that in another pargraph or so, I'll find out just how confused Lois is. Nice.

Hey, wait a sec. Thinking about Lois... Clark's done bandaging her. That means it's her turn, right? That should be fun.

lol, bit of a fuax pas there, Clark. A bovine-sized one.

Ooo! Pulling her leg (so to speak)! Didn't see that coming any more than Lois! LOL, nice!

Wait a sec. Clark's talking about sports injuries, and suddenly we're back in his POV. Without the little devider thingy. What happened?

No, now we're back in Lois's head, which is where I thought we were.

lol about the sweater. And hey, good for you, Lois!

Shirtless Clark! That should make about 95% of the readers very happy.

Aww. Shirtless Clark is bleeding and distracting Lois. Stop that, shirtless Clark.

"And way, way too close to her partner's throat than she liked." Huh?

There we go. More of that good WAFFy stuff. Good for you, shirtless-but-bandaged Clark.

"Machinegun-toting" never seen "machine gun" as one word before.

Yes, shirtless-but-bandaged Clark, fire is good. Brings warmth. Much like shirts. Also sweaters. You might want to remember those, even if they would disappoint your fans.

"You need to get out of those wet clothes," LOL!!

Firewood. Good idea, shirtless-but-bandaged-and-now-holding-his-sweater Clark, but you may want to get dressed before you go back out. Maybe even borrow a coat. Just a thought.

So, okay. That only took... an extra half hour. Not too bad. I think I'm going to sleep now, though. Good night, Lab. Great part. Looking forward to seeing more. Good night, shirtless-but-bandaged Clark. Good night, bandaged-but-not-shirtless Lois. Good night, FoLCs.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh! eek Clark...no shirt...Clark...no shhshhirt. drool

laugh Yippee... laugh

That was a wonderful 'site'.

The living area was simply but stylishly decorated with the emphasis on country chic. Expensive taste. Lawyer's weekend haven, she instantly decided. Accountant maybe. The type who prided themselves on being country to the core and whose sense of rustic was dictated firmly by the latest glossy issues of Country Living and Farmhouse Style. No doubt they had mints on the pillows and a den with full Surround Sound entertainment system installed and returned to their plush high-rise city offices on Monday with tales of roughing it in the back of beyond.
An accoutant...for my sake I hope so. $$$$$

This part is over waaaaaaaaaa. How long do I have to wait for more?????????????????????

Sorry I cannot say more...must BR and watch CSI Miami.

hyper

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Top Banana
Top Banana
He laughed. And to her surprise, a small spreading warmth ignited in her chest. It was the best sound she'd heard for hours. It said that everything was going to be all right. That they'd come through. Survived again. They were going to be okay.

They were alive.
Loved this. Just perfect. Speaks to the enormous amount of affection and trust between them. And, too, enjoyed Lois's adrenaline let-down and all the giddy thoughts that chased through her head now that she was sitting and relatively safe.

This, especially:

And who knew where that would lead?

Well, she knew where that would lead. A thousand battered novels had shown her that path in all its variations. Deserted cabins? Snowy landscapes? Roaring log fires? Oh yeah, she knew where they all led if you let them.
LOL! Wonderful!

You know, when I read this I forgot to be jealous. This is just so well done, so absorbing, and I felt really, really 'there.' Can't say that well enough, how completely you painted this atmosphere- be it cold, dark, dangerous, and now somewhat intimate and quiet, patterns of moonlight on the floor...how do you do that?!

Dashes, ellipses...I don't really notice them, I guess. To me it reads like they are breathless with cold, teeth chattering, hard to finish a sentence. Works just fine. But then again, that comes from the someone with a raging case of Ellipse Dependency, so take that with a hearty grain of salt.

I'm caught up, Lab! More?? Soon??

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Top Banana
Top Banana
LOL, Paul! I loved your stream of consciousness feedback!

Labrat,

Basically, what everyone else has said. I am completely wrapped up in this story. Do we get the next part today? Please?

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Eeep. I've just this minute realised that it's Tuesday. /me is abject with her apologies.

Okay, here's the deal - right at this moment I'm completely wasted and my brain is too fried to properly pay the attention to your comments that they deserve.

So, going to go post part five now and I'll get to this folder a little later, tomorrow at the latest. Apologies!!

LabRat blush

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wait...You're posting 5 right now...well heck, no apologies needed!!!!

TEEEEEEEJ

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Again, apologies for being tardy with this post. I'm delighted you seem to have enjoyed this segment. You were all having so much fun with the flight through the woods and the nasty smuggling gang, that I'd become worried that the abrupt change of pace into WAFFs would disappoint. See, readers can surprise authors just as much as authors surprise readers. <g>

Okay, first order of business - the dashes/ellipses. Okay, ellipses it is then. <g> Good thing I hadn't changed the master copy yet, right? goofy And then, I think I'll just cut my losses. As I said earlier, I was fully expecting a 100% thumbs down for the ellipses. So, since the majority either didn't notice them, weren't bothered by them or thought they were effective, I figure that's good enough to be going on with. wink Thanks to everyone for their input on this one. And, Paul and Liz, don't apologise! The input on this helped me a lot. I've very much appreciated the honest responses.

I was literally giggling for ages after reading this! Brilliant!
Mere, I was so delighted you noticed that one. I was kind of proud of it <g> as it was almost completely an accident. laugh I had to add to the paragraph to clear up some point and halfway through doing that my eye caught the paragraph under it and it suddenly struck me that it might be fun to have Lois rant on about macho males refusing to admit they were hurt…only to have her go on to do that very same thing herself in the next paragraph. So you made my day actually noticing that one.

Would the fire from the chimney catch the eyes of the bad guys?
Unlikely, Maria. Remember that this is lakeside cabin country – the immediate countryside is full of them. The gang, even if they did see smoke from a chimney, wouldn't think it anything unusual or out of the ordinary. It's something they see every day.

Toc – also happy you had fun with Lois's reactions as that section was enormous fun to write.

The stylish inside of the deserted cabin on the lake is so completely different than what they expected,
Right from the get go, I hadn't ever thought that the cabin was going to be ramshackle – I'd envisaged it as a weekend holiday cabin right from the start. But the idea kind of grew during discussions with my beta – and grew and grew - and I swear by the end of it I was channelling Niles Crane. <g> I'm sure Niles owns that cabin. Certainly, the mints on the pillows was a small homage to Frasier.

She's trying so hard to act like she feels nothing, like nothing is there-- but she slips up and mentions she's "warned [everyone else] off"...
Was also nice to see you pick up on this one. I wasn't really that sure I'd adequately gotten across exactly what was going through Lois's mind at that point – that her given reasons were really just an excuse and she had far more selfish reasons for 'warning them off', even if she wasn't going to acknowledge them. To herself or him. So, great to see it did work for you. goofy

Of the others:

Poor too-silly-to-realize-alligators-don't-climb-trees-and-especially-not-in-the-frozen-woodland
This made me laugh. But the 'alligator' was 'rustling in the bushes', not the tree. wink Even Lois knows alligators can't climb trees. I think. Maybe. OTOH, knowing Lois, I rather suspect that the thing larger than a bird up in the tree, she probably thought was a vulture. laugh

Silly Lois. Alligators can't open doors. Only CGI velociraptors can do that.
goofy Love that. Had me chuckling for days. I could just fill up this post with quotes that made me laugh. <g>

"nature's spectaculars" ... ? Indication of sleepy Lois? Indication of sleepy Paul? US/UK thing? Other?
Not aware this has any nationality attached to it. It was simply the way Lois chose to phrase it. I think that within the context of the paragraph it's in, the meaning should be clear though.

Wait a sec. Clark's talking about sports injuries, and suddenly we're back in his POV. Without the little devider thingy. What happened?
Oooooooooh. Good catch! goofy

Thanks again, all of you, for taking the time to comment!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard