I wanted to speed up the posting a bit with this because we're almost done-- only 3 more chapters! Enjoy!

Chapter 15
Green, Green Glow of Home

The most wonderful of dreams Clark had ever had roused him from his sleep in the early hours of Christmas morning. He smiled down at the woman next to him. She was truly incredible and didn't even realize it. He placed a gentle kiss on her face before he rose to go get a drink of water.

He belted his robe slowly as he eased down the hallway and the stairs. That strange sensation had faded and he felt better than he had in weeks, if he ignored the dryness in his throat. Maybe his mind had been playing tricks on him.

<Of course, it had! Bernie had been pleased with his condition at his last check up.>

Clark pulled a glass from the cabinet and filled it with water. He sipped it while he looked out at the fresh blanket of white snow that had fallen during the night. His mind was already taking him into the day. He and Lois would have a great time messing up that pristine surface, if he could persuade her to build a snowman. It had been years since he'd done that, but being with Lois had made him carefree as a kid again.... Pity a snowball fight was out of the question. Maybe next year! And they had all those presents to open. Today would be a good day.

He chuckled softly and lifted the glass to his lips again. That cool water felt good! Suddenly he stopped as an intense pain stabbed between his shoulders blades. It felt like a large hand clutched at his chest, tightening its grip. The glass slipped from his fingers and shattered on the tile floor. An agonizing cough overtook him, bringing him to his knees.

Upstairs the other adults had been startled from their sleep by the glass breaking. All three slipped on their robes and rushed downstairs.

"Clark!" Lois called out from the bottom of the stairs.

He looked up at her with apologetic eyes. His hands were covered in blood that poured from his nose and mouth. The horrible coughing had stopped, but it felt like his airway had been closed.

<I'm so sorry.> His mind screamed as he fell over on to the floor.

Lois and his parents were by his side in a second. Lois' hands clutched his robe, pulling his head into her lap. "Clark," she cried through her tears. The bright red blood covered her gown, stained her skin. "Clark!"

He blinked back tears as he focused on her. "Lo-is? I… I… love… you… both." That was the last thing he said before his eyes drifted shut. Her lovely concerned face the last thing he saw before darkness descended.

"Clark! No, stay with me!" She shook him unthinkingly, but he was like a rag-doll. Her eyes flew up to his parents, begging them to do something to help.

Martha quickly took over the situation. She ordered Jonathan to call the ambulance while she cleared Clark's airway as best she could. Her CPR training was about to come in handy because Clark wasn't breathing. Disregarding the terror that threatened to paralyse her, she went to work.

By the time the paramedics arrived, that fear had turned to panic. Martha had managed to restore Clark's breathing only to have him slip away again a few minutes later. Yet she stayed focussed, bluntly ordering Lois to help her -- there was no time for tact. They worked frantically as a team until the medics took over. Clark's heart had also stopped beating, so the equipment needed to resuscitate him was set up with lightening speed.

Lois shook almost violently as she watched the paramedics place cold metal paddles on her husband's chest to shock him. Clark's large body jerked from the floor. A second shock was delivered, then a third. Lois would have collapsed if Jonathan hadn't been holding her. When one of the medics said they had him back, relief washed over everyone. But still they waited in dread silence as an intubation tube was forced down Clark's throat.

At last, Clark was deemed fit to be loaded onto the gurney while Lois sprinted upstairs to change so she could go with him in the ambulance. An hour later she looked through the glass of the treatment room in the medical center in Smallville. The emergency staff worked on him with deft hands, stabilizing him and trying to figure out why he'd collapsed.

Martha and Jonathan had soon followed in the car and came to share Lois' agonizing wait.

"Martha, he can't die now... not now." Lois' hand was appropriated by her mother-in-law. "It's too soon.... He has to stay until we can save him."

Neither Martha nor Jonathan considered that a foolish request and Jon pulled the distraught girl up against his side, while his wife supported her on the other. "He will, Lois. He will. Clark will fight with everything he has to be with you."

"He loves you, honey," Martha whispered and Lois found strength in their words.

Together all three awaited the fate of the one person they loved so dearly.

Lois held Clark's hand as she sat beside his bed. He'd been hooked up to a dozen machines and had several tubes running from his body, all doing their job in keeping him alive. To see such a powerful man so vulnerable was killing her.

She leaned forward and kissed his cheek. A gentle hand on her shoulder startled her.

"Oh, Martha. I didn't hear you come in."

"I didn't mean to scare you." Martha held out a cup of coffee. "You need to drink this."
"I'm fine," she insisted.

"Lois, honey, think about the baby. You have to take care of yourself. You wouldn't want to lose this little fellow. And it's decaff."

Lois wiped her eyes and nodded. Martha was right. There was no way she wanted to lose their baby. She took the coffee and sipped slowly.

"They say I can fly him back to Metropolis tomorrow. He'll be stable enough to move then," Lois told his mother after a while. "I think it's better if he's where Bernie can take care of him." She had a lot of faith in Bernard Klein -- hadn't he made Clark better last time.

"I think so too, sweetie, but can we afford that?" Martha hated that the question of expenses should intrude on her worries over Clark, and without thought she included herself and Jonathan in the equation. They would bankrupt themselves to keep their son safe.

"Normally, no. I doubt our health insurance would bear the whole cost, but Bernie pulled a few string with Star Labs...." Lois's voice died away, robbed of speech by tiredness and fear. Besides, Bernard hadn't really explained how he had swung the travel arrangements.

Martha understood and her hand came to rest on her daughter-in-law's shoulder. "That's good. Jonathan and I will take care of things here, then we'll be right behind you."

This time Lois didn't protest. How could she? This was their son. They just wanted to be near him in case…

She pushed those thoughts from her mind and focused on the future. The future she and Clark would have… together.

By the end of the following day, Clark had been installed in a room on the intensive care floor of Metropolis General Hospital. Bernard Klein had been to visit and he'd assured Lois that Clark was completely vulnerable, so there would be nothing unusual to link him to Superman. And as he would be overseeing all of the tests run on Clark personally, nothing should ever be suspected.

At first, the staff at the hospital had questioned a top scientist supervising the patient's care, but Klein had explained that he was working on some experimental medication per the request of Mr Kent and his family, a claim backed up by the patient's wife. Being as how the good doctor had tenure at the hospital, nothing further was said and control of the patient's treatment was turned over to the scientist.

During the next twelve hours, Bernie commuted between Clark's room and Star Labs where he was running various tests. He'd tried to tell his distraught young friend that everything would be fine, but somehow his confidence wasn't reflected in his eyes. Even Bernie couldn't be sure this time. Clark was fighting a desperate battle for his life.

Lois kept vigil beside her husband's bed, not wanting to get more than a few feet away, praying that by her presence she could hold on to him.

"Lois," Bernie called softly into the darkened room. He'd thought the woman was asleep, but she turned to him immediately.

"Bernie, come in! Have you got any news?"

"You know, you should be getting a little rest, too, Lois." The doctor's voice was gentler than she'd ever heard.

"I can't! Not when I don't know what's happening to him. If you know anything, please tell me." Tears sparkled on Lois lashes.

"I have a few questions, Lois. May I?" At a tiny nod of her head, Bernie went on. "Has Clark been exerting himself lately... any Superman rescues for instance?"

The low light hid Lois' blush as she thought of just how Clark had exerted himself, but at least she could answer honestly. "No! No super feats since we got to Smallville."

"Then, did he seem unwell... a little tired, perhaps?"

"He had a dizzy spell yesterday... no that would be a couple of mornings ago, but he put it down to sleeping on the floor."

Bernard's forehead creased in a frown. "Not a good idea. The floor is much too cold... why would he be sleeping on the floor?" The last came as an afterthought.

"He should have been sleeping on the couch, but he made his bed in front of the fire. I think he thought it was roma... cozy. But I guess the fire died down during the night." Lois flushed again. "Is this why he's like this?"

"Not exactly! Has he had a cold?"

"I don't think so... though he was coughing a bit when we picked the tree, and when we went horseback riding. I knew we shouldn't have gone out. It was too cold, but he was looking forward to it so much and he said it was just a tickly throat; no big deal!"

"I'm afraid it was, Lois."

"Do you know something, Bernie?"

The tall doctor shrunk a little. He hated giving bad news. "It's what we'd suspected. Clark must have come in contact with a cold or flu virus and with his immume system weakend by his illness and the drugs he's been taking, his body couldn't fight it off. He has viral pneumonia in both lungs."

A strangled sob escaped the fingers that Lois pressed to her lips. "We went into Smallville to visit Clark's friends.... I wanted to see all his childhood haunts. I should never have allowed him to...."
"Lois, you can't blame yourself, and you can't seal Clark in bubble-wrap. He could have picked up the virus in Metropolis before he left. Don't beat yourself up about this. You need to be strong for his sake."

The doctor walked closer to the bed, and pulled a clean handkerchief from his pocket, handing it to Lois who accepted it gladly. She blew her nose loudly, then dabbed at her wet cheeks.

"You're right! Clark needs me." Lois had herself under control again. She looked searchingly at the doctor, who started to fidget a little uncomfortably. "There's more?"

"Yes! He's lost his powers and they're probably gone for good this time. The infection has damaged his lungs considerably and he's unable to breathe on his own... hence the endotrachael tube. His heart was taxed when he was in so much pain and the lack of oxygen might come in to play."

"Come in to play? What does that mean? Speak English, please, Bernie!" She was upset and just wanted to hear things straight out.

"His heart stopped on more than one occassion. There could be brain damage."

"Oh, God!" Her eyes filled with tears again as her gaze shifted back to Clark. "And the cancer?"

"His white cell count is up. Unless we get the pneumonia under control, it could take over."

"And if that happens?"

"He wouldn't make it to the birth," he told her grimly.

"Can we get this infection under control?"

"I believe so. The latest tests show that he's starting to respond to treatment. The next few hours will be crucial, but I promise I'll do everything I can to save him."

"I know, Bernie. Thank you."

He nodded, his heart heavy, and left her alone again.

Lois eased back into her chair and reached out to take Clark's hand. "How can I lose you now?" The tension of the past few days got the better of her and she lowered her head to the mattress and cried, hard gasping sobs. Yet Clark never heard them.

Unfortunately, it took a few days for the Kents to make it to Metropolis. The whole Midwest had been hit with raging ice-storms and Wichita airport had been snowed in. When finally the couple arrived at the hospital, they took one look at the exhausted girl and immediately carried Lois off home for a hot shower, some food, and much needed sleep. They reminded her that she was still carrying precious cargo and had to take care of it. Lois felt extremely guilty that she hadn't thought more about the baby and promised not to make that mistake again.

Clark was responding well to treatments, but he still remained unconscious and unable to breathe on his own. Initial brainwave tests were promising, but it was still too early to know for certain. Although his condition had been upgraded from critical statis, he continued to lie weak and helpless in his bed, unaware of anything around him.

With Martha and Jonathan's help, Lois made good on her promise to care more for the baby. Her in-laws took over sitting with Clark in the mornings, giving Lois longer to rest in bed, and when she did trek to the hospital each day, she carried plenty of fresh fruit and a sandwich or some other healthy meal Martha had prepared for her. The table beside Clark's bed soon became covered with juice bottles, mineral water and fresh fruit. She'd firmly decided she was not about to lose this baby, or its daddy either.

During the day, she would read to Clark from the Daily Planet and ask his input on the simple stories Perry had assigned her so that she could continue to draw a salary. Actually, Perry had been very prepared to cut her some slack, but Lois felt she’d be better keeping her mind active while she waited for Clark to wake. She'd spend her time tapping away at the keys of her laptop, then hold it up so Clark could 'see' it, before she sent it through to their editor. Sometimes she'd pull out their baby's memory book and read from the few pages they'd started, although she refused to add anything without Clark, insisting they would do it together.

At night she would ease down on the bed beside Clark for a little while, just to feel him near. His hair was lovingly brushed and she'd asked the nurses if she could help out with his sponge baths. Somehow, she felt the more she did for him, the sooner he would come back to her. And the staff seemed to understand.

The New Year came and went. Lois watched the fireworks display in the harbor from Clark's window. At midnight, she leaned forward and placed a soft kiss to the corner of his lips, the plastic tube coming from his mouth a cold reminder of his condition. It broke her heart, but she vowed to never to give up on him.

The Kents stayed another week, but reluctantly had to go home to the farm. Wayne Irig and his sons, along with half the population of Smallville, had come down with a nasty case of flu and, though the land could take care of itself at this time of year, the animals needed tending. Since Clark was no longer on the critical list, both Martha and Jonathan agreed it was okay for them to leave.

However, before they left they'd discussed selling the place with Lois so they could move to the city to help out. She'd argued as Clark would have in defense of the old home place, but in the end the older couple decided to at least 'look into things', though they promised to make no firm decision until they could talk to Clark.

This time Lois drove them to the airport and she squeezed them both in a tight embrace before making her way back to the hospital. She had never felt so alone. There might have always been someone there to offer her comfort, a shoulder to cry on. Perry and Jimmy came by as often as they could, and even her mother took to dropping in each day to see how 'our poor invalid' was doing -- Lois was never sure if the 'invalid' was herself or Clark -- but without Clark, she felt lost, incomplete... alone. She was grateful for the encouragement of her friends and family; she just wanted her husband, her best friend, back.

Lois looked down at her fingers as they traced the veins on the back of Clark's large hand, careful not to dislodge the IV shunt. Her in-laws had been gone for over a week, and she was beginning to think she was chained to this hospital room. She'd gone to her regular appointment for the baby alone; wrote the news stories for the Planet alone... only it took a real stretch of the imagination to call those articles 'news'; and every night she made her way home … alone. Being isolated had never bothered her before, but she'd gotten a glimpse of what her life could be like with a man who loved her and she desperately wanted more.

"Clark," she whispered through fresh tears, succumbing to her loneliness and a giant wave of self pity. "You have to come back to me." She leaned forward and touched her lips to his skin.

A few days ago, Bernie had pronounced that Clark's viral pneumonia was clearing up satisfactorily. There was a little damage to his lungs, but nothing that would keep him from being able to regain control of his breathing. There was also no evidence of brain damage, so why wasn't he waking up?

Of course, Bernie had this theory that Clark was not waking up because his mind was trying to give his body time to heal. Who knew? Maybe it was a Kryptonian thing, Lois surmised. Both she and Bernie had taken to opening up the blinds to allow the sun to soak into his body each day. Yet, though exposure to the sun did seem to be making obvious progress with his health, Clark still remained comatose.

Lois eased onto the bed and stretched out beside Clark. She lifted his hand to cover her large stomach. "You need to wake up, sweetie. This little guy will be here soon. You can't miss that." The baby moved beneath their hands. "He or she misses Daddy. You haven't talked to him in so long." Lois snuggled closer so the baby's movements were against Clark's body. "Feel that? That's our life. Clark, we did that. Don't you want to come meet her?"

She fought to control the tears that fell from her eyes and wet the cotton of his hospital gown. "I don't know if I can do this without you. Please come back to me." Her fingers reached out to smooth his hair and the stubble on his chin. "I'll shave you tomorrow," she promised.

She stayed that way, just staring at Clark, for a long while before she spoke again. "I love you, Clark," she whispered, her eyes fluttering shut.

The charge nurse stepped into the room to check on her patient's vitals, but seeing the couple on the bed, she moved quietly across the room and straightened the covers. Satisfied that Lois was not in danger of falling onto the floor, she dimmed the lights and left. Those routine checks could be carried out later. Clark was more in need of tender loving care.

Lois marched through the hospital entrance into the large foyer. She was late, and she hated to be late for Clark, even if he hardly knew she was there. She liked to think that even in his semi-conscious state he was aware of her presence.

But she'd dropped by the Planet to discuss the latest 'puff piece' that Perry had assigned to her. She despised these types of stories, but she reluctantly admitted that they didn't take up much of her time or energy, meaning she could devote both to Clark. However, once at the office, she'd been detained by her colleagues asking her how he was doing. Clark was very well liked by the staff, and she had proof of just how popular he was tucked away in her briefcase; greetings cards, magazines... even home-made fudge from Mrs O'Hanlan, head of the typing pool. She would save the candy for when Clark woke up, but maybe he wouldn't mind if she sampled a piece or two.

Lois took the elevator up to Clark's floor and stepped outside. The reception area was much busier than normal and she even spotted an LNN camera crew. What was going on? She hoped it had nothing to do with Clark, but since all the attention was focussed down a different corridor, her initial worry was probably unfounded. Sending only a cursory glance in the direction of the small, somewhat effusive crowd, she hurried towards Clark's room.

"Lois, this is a surprise!"

The one voice she least expected, or wanted to hear, interrupted her progress. She turned, not really happy with the delay, but finding it impossible to resist... almost like a mouse being hypnotised by a snake.

The group had parted and at the center of the commotion was Metropolis' most prominent citizen, apart from Superman, that was.

Lex Luthor smiled affably. "Excuse me, gentlemen and ladies. I've just noticed a close friend whom I haven't spoken to in quite sometime. Will you give me a moment while I redress my bad manners?"

Lois prayed that the attendant circle would refuse his request, but of course, who would refuse Lex anything? And she was being nonsensical -- the question was rhetorical; Lex wouldn't pay any heed even if it wasn't. She watched him bearing down on her.

"Why are you here, Lex?"

"Oh, hadn't you heard? I thought an intrepid reporter like you knew everything that happened in this city. Though perhaps you've been a little distracted." Lex let his glance stray down the passageway behind her. So his sources had been correct. Lois' *husband* was ill. Or more accurately, more ill than before. Oh, wonderful, he mused, but kept his face and voice pleasantly informative. "I'm here to open a new pediatrics ward which I've donated to the children of Metropolis. A place of excellence where young people struck down with terrible diseases such as cancer or leukemia can be treated and cared for. I feel it's the least I can do in my 'fortunate' position for my city."

"That's good of you," Lois said flatly, almost dismissively.

He was taken aback by her attitude; Lois had never treated him with such disdain, but he covered his surprise well. "Not at all! I can imagine nothing more terrible than to watch a child... or a loved one of any age go through such pain." He walked closer to her. "Perhaps you know all about that?"

Lois resisted the temptation to take a step backwards. She didn't want him to know how badly he was affecting her. "You could say that, Lex, but I don't have time for this."

"I'm only concerned for your wellbeing." He reached out to grasp her arm, but thought better of it when he caught her warning stare. "Please don't tell me that Clark is ill."

"Not that it's any of your business, but yes, Clark is ill. He's had pneumonia and has been in the hospital for a while."

"I thought he was looking a little wan and tired... the last time I saw him."

"Don't play games, Lex. You are perfectly aware of Clark's cancer."

"Now why would I know that..."

"Because you tend to know most things, so don't pretend otherwise." A dagger-like glare ended the conversation from Lois' point of view and she started to move toward Clark's room.

"Lois... Lois, I know what you're doing...."

His words stopped her and she swung back to confront the now rather smug looking man. "What would you know, Lex?"

"I know *this* is a sham... and I really thought better of you. Wasting your time on Kent the way you've been doing, and he's not even able to be the kind of husband you need. I on the other hand..." He allowed his sentence to trail off, but the suggestiveness in his tone hang heavily between them.

"I don't know what you're implying, Lex, but I love my husband! In sickness or in health."

"Very admirable, Lois. But compassion can often be confused for love. What will you do when he's gone? I'm told the doctors fear he doesn't have long to live."

This time she marched toward him, cold anger freezing her voice. "I thought you weren't aware of Clark's illness?"

Lex simply shrugged. "Tell me, Lois, doesn't caring for a husband with cancer put a strain on your marriage?"

"Doesn't poking your nose into other people's business get tiring?" she challenged right back.

Lex couldn't help but grin at the fiery woman before him. It would have been so wonderful taming her. And what an amazing Mrs. Luthor she would have made. Now, however, that was hardly possible. She'd chosen a nobody like Clark Kent over himself. Some would say that her motivation was commendable, but it was certainly misguided... and she was carrying Kent's child. There was no way he could make this woman his wife now, was there? Of course, a nanny could be hired; there were private boarding schools available. He need hardly have contact with the brat. Perhaps after Kent died, he'd pay Lois another visit -- see what transpired. A grieving widow with a child to raise might be grateful for his help, both financially and... otherwise.

He smiled suavely at her. "Might I offer you a piece of advice, Lois. An astute person always prepares for the future. Don't turn your back on any of your options. In fact, it might be a good idea to show some interest...."

"You're a snake, Lex! How dare you suggest a thing? And I wouldn't encourage you if you were my only option left in the whole world!"

"Come, Lois, don't be so hasty. We both know Kent will die from his cancer, and you once felt something for me."

"We don't know any such thing, and whatever I felt for you was a mistake. Furthermore, this is not *your* city, and when Clark and I are able, we will find a way to investigate your meddling in its affairs. So take some advice from me, Lex... get your own house in order!"

A chuckle escaped Lex's mouth at that. He was far too careful to be tripped up by the likes of mere reporters... wasn't he? Yet forewarned was forearmed. "Are you threatening me, Lois? I do so like a challenge. Remember me to your husband. Take care... and do think of me," he shot back quickly as he sauntered back to his entourage.

Lois could only watch his retreating back as the hospital staff and his acolytes closed around him. She fumed at the way they treated him with such respect. They didn't know the man -- she hadn't known the man! Not till Clark had opened her eyes to his true character. How had she ever found him the least bit appealing?

She forced all thoughts of Luthor from her mind as she pushed the door to Clark's room open. The obnoxious man didn't warrant her time or energy. That was reserved for her husband and right now, he needed everything she had....

Clark's eyes were open, but almost immediately his eyelids drifted closed, leaving Lois wondering if she'd just imagined the warm glow of his glance. Did she just need the reassurance that Lex Luthor was wrong in his certainty of Clark’s death that her mind was playing tricks on her?

For a long moment she watched breathlessly for him to awaken once more, but nothing happened. Clark lay quietly and Lois lowered herself into the chair by his bed to wait.

It was so dark. And cold. He didn't think he'd ever been so cold, or so disembodied. Where was he? Had he heard voices? Familiar voices! One self-satisfied and taunting... a man's voice. The other angry and defiant, yet softer, a voice he knew well.... His mind searched frantically for something he recognized, finally alighting on the familiar warmth he felt beside his body.

Lois. She was here with him. He'd be okay.

Several hours later, the bright sun of a late January day beamed through the windows. It was too good to ignore. For a moment, Clark fought the clinging sluggishness that engulfed him before his eyes struggled open. There was a weight on his right arm and across his stomach, and he had to fight to move his heavy limbs. How long had he been here? How long had he been unconscious?

Slowly, painfully, he tried to lift his left hand until he realized it was trapped by a smaller one wrapped around it. He smiled when he recognized that hand. Finally, he managed to turn his hand enough to grasp her fingers and gently squeezed.

Lois immediately woke up when she felt Clark tug at her fingers. She jerked her head up and found herself staring into Clark's sleepy gaze. He had the most beautiful brown eyes in the world. "Hi, sweetie," she whispered through quick tears. "I sure am glad to see you back."

He strove to answer through the dryness in his mouth. Some days ago, the tube had been removed from his airway and replaced with an oxygen tube inside his nostrils. The cool air not only helped him breathe easier, it also dried him out, and his voice was creaky through disuse.

Not to mention that some 'sadist' had been sharpening knives in this throat! When he was able to speak, it was a hoarse whisper. "It's good to be back." He craned his neck to look around the room, trying to get his bearings. It seemed he might be in a hospital room. "How long have I been out?"

Lois smiled and got up to get him some water, which he accepted gratefully. "Take it easy, don't gulp! We don't want to overwhelm your system." He sipped again before shaking his head to indicate he'd had enough. "Better?"

"Yes. Thank you." His voice was still pretty reminiscent of a bullfrog's croak, but it was an improvement.

"You're welcome." She smiled again and reached out to stroke his face.

"Guess we missed work."

Lois laughed softly. "Just a bit, but don't worry about anything except getting well so you can come home."

"Lois, the baby. Is the baby okay?"

"The baby's fine." She placed his hand over her navel so he could feel the movement for himself and was happy to hear him give a deep breath of relief.

He smiled sadly. "I hope I get to see the birth."

"Would you hush? You're going to see your grandchildren play one day."

"I hope so." Clark held his hand up for her to take it and wasn't surprised to see it trembled. "I'm so scared," he whispered. "I'm scared I'm going to have to leave you both. I thought sure I had this time." Weak and dizzy, Clark couldn't hold back his tears.

Lois leaned over to hold him while he cried. She understood his fear. It was one she'd experienced everyday as she sat at his bedside. And even if he made it through this time, she was afraid the transplant wouldn't work. She was afraid that one day she'd have to tell her child about the wonderful person his or her father had been. She squeezed her eyes to shut out the terrible images that flashed through her mind and prayed for their lives, together.

A week later, Clark was allowed home from the hospital but was still confined to bed. Lois continued writing the small articles Perry had given her from home, flatly refusing to return to the office until Clark was strong enough to care for himself during the day. The couple's routine returned to the 'normalcy' that they'd come to accept as the leukemia became more invasive, yet his general health was improving a little and both were thankful for small mercies.

Clark smiled over at Lois from his position propped on the bed as she folded the laundry into their respective drawers. "You are so beautiful," he said after a while. They hadn't talked much about the night they'd spent together in Smallville, but there was no mistaking the undercurrents between them whenever they were near one another.

"Yeah, right. Look at me. I'm starting to look like a beached whale."

"I think you look great."

"I think you're prejudiced."

"So?" He held out his hand to her. "Come here." She moved to take his hand. He pulled her down to the bed and covered her stomach with his hand. "Lois, this is our life. How can you say it's not beautiful?"

"Well, when you put it like that." Lois let her head fall back to rest against Clark's shoulder, content to let him cradle her in his arms.

As always when Clark's hand touched Lois' stomach, the baby started moving. He shifted her so she was lying beside him on the bed and leaned up over her as he continued to move his hand across her stomach.

"You know, I don't think I could feel any more for this baby, even if we'd made him the old-fashioned way. But I have to say, it's a much nicer way to make a baby."

Lois' mouth dropped open a little. This was the first time he'd made any direct reference to their love-making and she hadn't been prepared for his comment. Yet, he'd spoken quietly and tenderly, sending a jolt of electricity through her body. Her hand came up to his cheek, caressing it gently before she leaned up to kiss him. The kiss was brief and uncertain, but just as powerful as any they'd shared the night they made love. When she pulled back, she almost gasped when she saw Clark's eyes had darkened with desire.

His hand left Lois' stomach and came up to hold her face while he kissed her again, more sensually, and slowly deepening the contact. Clark's tongue flicked over Lois' lips asking silent permission for entry into her mouth. She didn't disappoint. He thrust his tongue into the wet depths between her teeth, the first touch causing both of them to moan.

Clark shifted and covered her mouth more fully with his own. They kissed for several moments, enjoying the taste of the other. When Clark broke the kiss, both were breathing heavily as they stared into the other's eyes.

Lois had moved her arms around Clark's back during the kiss and her fingers pressed into his smooth skin ever so slightly. "Wow!"

"Yeah." Clark's hand slid from her face down to rest on her shoulder. He leaned over and kissed her again. This one was brief, but no less passionate. Then he drew away and fell over onto his back.

Once again Lois experienced a sharp wave of frustration. She knew that was unfair. He'd been through a lot in the last month and she couldn't very well fault him for not feeling up to anything as strenuous as making love. Suddenly her disappointment couldn't compare with his health. Lois leaned up to push his hair off his forehead and realized he was fast asleep. Her heart melted as she scooted closer, enjoying the warmth of having him near. Napping with her husband held a lot more appeal then finishing the laundry.

A few mornings later Lois awoke to find Clark working steadily on his laptop. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes, struggling to push herself upright. "Whatcha' doing?"

Clark turned from where he was sitting at the desk to see Lois easing from the bed. "Hey you." He held out a hand for her to come to him and pulled her into his lap. "I'm writing an article to explain Superman's absence."

"I guess that does have to be done."

"Yep. Will you help?"

"I'll always help you." She turned and kissed him briefly.

Clark growled softly in appreciation of her action. "How's this little fellow this morning?" His hand patted her stomach.

"Hungry."

Clark laughed softly as he watched her disappear behind the bathroom door. The baby may be hungry, but Mommy had to go.

When Lois returned to the bedroom, she was shocked to find Clark lying flat out on the bed. Oh no, they'd believed he was getting stronger and had even contemplated his return to work in the next few days. Surely writing one article wouldn't have tired him so much he needed to go back to bed.

But wait a minute! Clark wasn't exactly on the bed. He was floating a few inches above the surface... and he was smiling, a very smug smile in fact.

"Clark, what do you think you're doing?" Lois’ voice was sharp with worry.

"I'm practicing! I had a nap the other day when you were out shopping and I woke up to find myself floating. Of course, the moment I realized, I fell, but I'm getting better at it. It's great, isn't it?"

In his excitement, Clark failed to notice that Lois was not quite so thrilled by his achievement as he was himself.

"No, it's not! Stop it! You're weak enough as it is, so don't drain your strength by forcing yourself to do 'super' things."

"But that's just it! I didn't force it... it just happened. And I really feel fine. I think all that sun you've been making me soak up is paying off, even if it is freezing outside."

"See! My point exactly! If you were super you wouldn't be feeling the cold." Lois crossed her arms in an imitation of her husband, only Superman never had such a 'bump' to negotiate around.

Clark grinned a little triumphantly. "Ah, but I'm not, actually, feeling the cold so much anymore."

A frown creased Lois' clear brow, but she waddled over to the bed and pulled him down onto the coverlet, sitting herself beside him. "I know how much being Superman means to you, Clark. I really do. It hurts you not to be able to help, but please, don't do this to yourself... to us," she finished quietly, as her hand rested on her stomach, touching the baby within.

"Oh, Lois, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you. I know it's impossible for me to be... him, right now... at least, not more than once...."

"Once! Why is it so important to do one more rescue?" She was trying hard to keep her promise to stay calm and talk this through.

"Not a rescue, Lois. You're exactly right about that... I'd kill myself, or the nearest thing to it. But I think Superman could manage a very short Press Conference, especially if Perry would allow him to hold it in front of the Planet."

The last piece of information went past Lois' concentration for the moment. "Why a press conference? Aren't we already explaining Superman's absence in our feature."

"I'm not sure that's enough. Think about it, Lois. Superman hasn't been seen anywhere in the world since before Christmas, and I know there's been a whole lot of speculation about that, even though you've been trying to hide the news from me. Did you think I wouldn't notice the remote control is missing...."

"The dog ate it!"

"And has the Daily Planet suddenly given up reporting the News and just consists of the Sports and Travel sections now? Or did our non-existent dog eat that too?!"

An embarrassed grin tugged at Lois' mouth. " I was hoping you'd be too ill to notice."

"Well, I was, at first." He squeezed her fingers to show he understood. "But we have to face facts. The Man of Steel went missing around the time I got really sick. Lois have you ever stopped to wonder what will happen if I don't make it?"

"Clark, no! That's not going to happen."

"We don't know that... and that scares me. The public already associates Lane and Kent as being 'close' to Superman. We'll even have his last interview. If Superman and Clark Kent leave this plain of existence at the same time, don't you think it's possible some astute person might start to speculate...." Clark let his words trail away, leaving Lois to substitute which person he was most afraid off.

"Clark, we don't know that either!"

"No, I accept that, but I don't want to take that chance, do you? If anyone did suspect, you and the baby would be in danger from any villain who wants revenge or, even worse, anyone who wanted to get control of a future 'super' child." Clark took a deep breath, knowing he had to verbalise his biggest fear. They'd talked about Lex once or twice since they'd grown closer, but he wasn't completely sure if Lois understood the depth of Lex's criminal tendencies.

"Lois, I know you're skeptical, and I don't have any proof that would stand up in a court of law, but Luthor is evil and he wants you. I wouldn't be around to protect you, and the thought terrifies me!"

It would take a lot of 'reaching' to link Superman to Clark, and Lois' first thought was to dismiss his supposition, but she couldn't ignore the stark fear she saw in his eyes. Never again would she treat his concerns so offhandedly.

Besides, she couldn't put her hand on her heart and say he was wrong. She knew Luthor already had plans for her if Clark died. What would a man like that do to get his hands on Superman's baby? Over her dying body, of course, but she refrained from telling Clark that. It would hardly put his mind at ease.

"Okay, Clark, I'll go along with all that, and I do believe what you tell me about Lex. I have for long while now. I trust your judgement." Lois blushed charmingly and Clark's heart sang at her faith in him. "But I'm not sure how giving a press conference would help... even if you could manage it?"

"It would back up our article on Superman, and if everyone saw him fly in fit and healthy; say he had business to attend to on his home planet and would return when and if he could, then fly off, maybe there would be less chance people would connect him to Clark Kent being ill."

"See, there's a flaw in your theory right away. Even if you could fly, there's no way you look fit and healthy."

"I can't disagree with you there, but that's where Mom comes in. Along with all her other talents, she used to help out with the Smallville Theatre Society, sew costumes, paint scenery... was the make-up artist! She got pretty good too."

"Now why am I not surprised by that?" Lois grinned.

"I'm hoping she can make me look less pale. Maybe cover up these dark shadows under my eyes. And if I don't get too close to the crowds, hopefully they won't notice that their superhero is wearing makeup...."

"Exactly where in front of the Planet would this be?"

"I was thinking of flying down from the roof and landing on the Globe...."

"Good dramatic pose, but would it hold your weight?"

"I'd think so. It's a pretty heavy object; it has to be held securely for the public safety, and it would help if I levitate...."

"Assuming that you can!" Lois couldn't hold back her caustic retort.

"Lois! If I can fly, I can levitate, and believe me I'm not planning on hanging around! Of course, there'll be zoom lenses and TV cameras."

"Yes, but that shouldn't be a problem, just make sure to keep moving a little so they don't get a clear shot. And the roof thing is a good idea. We can hide Martha in the stairwell -- hardly anyone ever uses it but you. She can do your makeup there and help you change into the Suit if you need it."

Clark gave Lois a long searching look, tinged with a large amount of appreciation. "So you're with me on this?"

A resigned shrug lifted her shoulders. "I think you might have a point... so yes!"

Lois would have said more, but Clark leaned forward and covered her mouth with his own. It was some time before he drew back, leaving both gasping for breath. "Oh boy, I really have to remember that I can't hold my breath so long these days," he teased. "But thank you, Lois. I would have tried to do it anyway, but with your help I know it'll succeed."

"Too right, Mr Kent! I'm glad you realize that! So, while Martha is helping get you ready for your grand entrance, I'll keep watch on the stairs, until it's time for me to join the press pack... but, wait a minute, Perry will expect Clark to be there too."

"I got that covered! I'm going to tell Jimmy and Perry I have an appointment with Doc Klein at Star Labs to try out some new experimental treatment. That way, if I'm too exhausted to make it back no one will be surprised when I don't return. I'll ask Perry to assign Jimmy to back you, and as he'll want photographs, I'm sure he'll agree. And I'll make sure to ask where Ralph can eavesdrop...."

"It'll be all around the newsroom within minutes... good plan." Lois laughed, but then she sobered as Clark's earlier intimation sank in. "I just hope this whole thing doesn't affect your health too badly. When it's over will you fly back to the roof?"

There was a moment of silence as Clark squirmed uneasily. Lois wasn't going to like this. "No, I don't think that would be such a good idea. I don't want to take the chance that some eagle-eyed cameraman could spot me landing on the roof of the Planet.... I was hoping to be able to make it to Star Labs. That way I wouldn't be telling too many lies either."

"Screw the lies, Clark! The state of your health is worth a lot more than a few little fibs!" Lois fumed. He'd known she wouldn't be happy with this part of his plan. "You're not risking flying to see Bernie! We come up with another idea or we scrub the whole thing."

"I do have an alternative, Lois," he ventured with an experimental grin, hoping to appease her.

"You've obviously given this some consideration, flyboy. Okay, tell me!"

"I thought if I could make it over the Planet and land in the alleyway behind... where Johnston's old garage used to be. No one goes there anymore, and if anyone was around there's a broken skylight in the roof I could drop through."

"Don't mention the word drop!"

"Okay, let's go for a controlled 'crash landing'...." That earned him a smack across the wrist. "But I'm confident it won't be anything so dramatic. And as a safety measure, I thought I'd ask Dad and Bernie to pick me up in one of Star Labs' vans."

"Sounds good, but I think they should hire a plain van, that way it won't be so obviously linked to Star Labs.... And I want Bernie to check you out afterwards, just as a precaution."

"That's fine with me, Lois. So we're on?"

Lois thought for a few minutes and Clark watched the expressions chase across her face. She really was delightful. He moved forward to steal another kiss, but his wife was gone.

"Lo-is! Where are you going?" he asked in a mild sulk.

"Going to phone, Martha. We might as well get this show on the road!"

"This is one heck of an article you two," Perry told his best reporters a couple of mornings later. "And you say you got all this from Superman?"

"Yup, Perry, straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak," Lois replied, glancing surreptitiously at Clark. She knew how much he hated to lie and particularly to his friends, but this was necessary. He never could lie well either, and now he was sick. He'd only been allowed back to the newsroom on the strict orders that he take it easy. What this crazy Press Conference was going to do to his strength was anyone's guess, but Bernard Klein had gone along with it and even agreed to help, just as Martha and Jonathan had.

Perry was continuing, the printer's ink-tinted blood that coursed through his veins rushing in anticipation. "I see follow-ups on the reactions of the public, interviews with emergency services, and more. I see possible explosions in crime figures, which is always good for the news business, Do you see it?"

"Yes, Perry, but there is a slight problem." Lois announced, noticing Clark blanche at the mention of the increase in criminal activity. Even the Chief seemed to look a little sheepish as he'd realized what he'd suggested in his enthusiasm... but that could mean that Perry knew. Only Perry's awareness or otherwise wasn't an issue at present. "Superman wants to give a press conference, and he'd like us to hold back on the story until then...."

"What?! Give our competitors the jump on us?" Their editor looked at them like they were bound for the 'funny farm'.

"No, Perry!" Clark jumped in. "He'd just like us to wait till the day of the conference. Lane and Kent still gets the exclusive."

"Okay, that makes sense. Do you know where and when the conference will be held?"

"Tomorrow and he'd like to do it here, outside the Planet building," Lois took up the tale again. "If that's okay with you?"

"In the name of 'My Blue Suede Shoes', of course it is! What a coup. Kids this is great! We can fill the front page for days."

Clark couldn't subdue a tiny grin. Trust the old newshound to see one article as a whole series. But Perry was speaking again and the timbre of his voice had changed.

"That said, I hate to lose the Big Guy." The aging man looked down at the printout in his hand, seeming less charged with energy. "And reading between these lines, I'd say he feels pretty sad about havin' to leave too."

"He does, Perry," Lois said softly, as she slipped her hand into the crook of Clark's arm. This had to be so hard for him.

The Chief's head came up. "I hope that boy isn't feeling guilty about this all. Sometimes there's things that happen in life that are even out of control of superheros."

Clark gulped and tears sparkled on Lois' eyelashes. <He knows, he has to,> she thought. <But even if he didn't, thank you, Perry.>

"Let's pray he can sort out this business soon and get back to us. Now what are you two gawkin' at?" Perry bellowed, clearing his throat and returning to his customary gruff manner. "Since I can't use this till tomorrow, go get me some copy for this afternoon's edition."

"On it, Chief," Clark affirmed, opening the door and ushering Lois through, but she'd only gone a few steps when she collided with Jimmy, who was walking by, his head buried in a glossy tabloid.

"Jimmy! The National Whisper? 'Superman Shacked Up In Our Las Vegas Love Nest' by the Thomson Triplets!" Lois read aloud, scornfully. "Why are you reading this?"

The younger man's skin turned from red to white under Lois glare. "Checking the competition?" he hazarded.

"That trash is not competition... not even near it."

"I know, but these stories, I mean allegations," he amended at another razor-sharp stare, "are a hoot! You gotta read them, Lois!"

"No, I do not! And there's only one good place for that... thing, in the can!" She plucked the offending item from his hand and made good on her threat. "I'm sure the Chief would be really pleased to find you reading that in his newsroom. Don't you have work to do?"

"Huh, ye... yeah," Jimmy stammered, backing off. "I have photos to check on in the darkroom." With that he scurried away.

Lois turned back to Clark. "And don't you dare say 'I told you so'."

"Who me?" Clark held his hands up, smiling angelically and followed his wife to her desk. "Now, what do we have for today's paper that will keep Perry happy?"

The two worked steadily for the rest of the day, sharing lunch at their desks, until they were satisfied they had a reasonable story for the afternoon edition. It wouldn't make the front page, but the story on dockland degeneration and the current city council's subsequent neglect was an adequate filler.

Early in the evening, Lois stopped by Clark's desk. "Ready to go? We're winding down on time tonight to go pick your parents up at the airport."

"Not forgotten, honey." Clark rubbed her arm and stood up, wandering across to the rack to retrieve their coats.

She watched him go, admiring his easy stride. <When had he decided to start calling me honey?>

"Honey," she tried it out to herself. "I like it." She grinned widely as he returned and helped her on with her coat. "Honey?"

Clark blushed furiously. "Sorry," he told her, even though he was unable to wipe the grin from his face.

"Don't be." She patted his cheek affectionately. "Have you got any other names for me?"

"Sweetheart, darling?" he suggested. "My little tornado?"

"I like the last one," she decided, sending him a sultry look. "But talking of tornados we'd better 'blow'. Your mom and dad will be arriving shortly. I checked with the airline and their plane is on time."

"Ready when you are... darling." They moved together towards the elevator, sharing laughter.

"Oh, and Bernie's coming over tonight for dinner and to give you the once over to make sure you're up to your 'big performance' tomorrow."

"I know." Clark sounded resigned. He hated being poked and prodded, but he had gotten used to it by now, and he was prepared to admit that this time an examination was probably needed. Only he wanted to go home and just relax with Lois. "I'm looking forward to seeing Mom and Dad, and I don't mind Bernie visiting, but won't we have any time to ourselves tonight?"

"Sorry, husband," Lois rolled the name on her tongue, liking the sound of it. "Though I told Martha that she and Jonathan can have the double bed.... They wanted to go to a hotel, but I insisted we wouldn't hear of it. That means we're sleeping in the loft. I hope you don't mind."

"No way! The narrower bed just means we have to cuddle closer." Clark grinned as his mind took a flight of fancy.

"Since you have a big day tomorrow, I was thinking that you turn in early tonight."

The elevator arrived and Lois stepped inside while Clark stood still, lost in his fantasy. They'd have to remember to be quiet if his parents were sleeping below.

"However, I'm thinking like a coach here," Lois continued as she turned to face him. "Strictly no sexual exertion the night before the big game."

"Lo-is, no!" But she'd pressed the down button and the doors were closing. Clark barely squeezed inside. "I really don't think abstinence is necessary."

Lois' laughter drifted like an echo over the bullpen. "On the other hand, maybe an extensive workout would be best...."