Chapter 12
I've Got You Under My Skin

"Are you sure you don't want us to drive you to the airport, Mom?" Clark asked as he watched his mother gather her things to go home.

Clark had been well enough for the last three days, so it was time Martha returned to the farm and Jonathan. Lois could handle things from here and, besides, the older woman felt the couple needed some time alone together. Neither would go back to work fulltime for two days yet, and this could be a great opportunity for the couple to bond.

"I'm sure, honey."

"It's no trouble, Martha," Lois added.

"I know. And I appreciate it." She offered Lois a warm hug before turning to her son. "You take care of yourself and follow doctor's orders or I'll fly out and tan your hide."

"Yes, ma'am." Clark smiled brightly down at his mom. "Thank you. I can't tell you how much having you here has meant." He leaned to hug her gently. "And thanks for looking out for Lois," he whispered in her ear.

Martha drew back and placed a warm hand on his cheek. "You take care of my daughter and grandbaby, you hear?"

"Yes, ma'am." He gave her a kiss on the cheek before bending to lift her bags.

"Clark, maybe we should let the cabby get that," Lois suggested.

"Lois, I feel fine. My strength is back and these hardly weigh a thing."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. I'll run these down while you say good-bye." He smiled at her and disappeared with the bags.

Lois pulled Martha in for another hug. "I don't think I could have made it these last few weeks without you."

Martha drew back to look at her. "Honey, that's what family is for. We help out one another when we need to." Her hand hovered over Lois' stomach. "May I?"

The earlier anxieties Lois had about people touching her stomach disappeared and she nodded her approval, even smiled as her mother-in-law placed a hand on her stomach. It was the least she could do to offer Martha the simple gift of feeling her grandchild move beneath her hand. Besides, Martha asked before touching her, and Lois' heart went out to the older woman. This was something Martha had never experienced and to be able to do so now would surely be a special event.

Both ladies laughed softly when the little mound moved beneath Martha's hand.

"Oh, Lois." Martha continued to move her hand a moment while the life danced against taut skin. When she was satisfied, she looked up at Lois. "Thank you. That meant the world to me."

"Martha," Lois whispered as she gave her yet another hug. They both had tears in their eyes when Clark came back in.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He was immediately concerned.

"The baby moved for your mom," Lois told him as she wiped her face.

"That's great!" Clark's eyes drifted to Lois' stomach before he looked up at his mom. "I'm glad you felt that."

"Me, too." She smoothed her hand across Lois' stomach a final time before turning to the door. "Remember, I'm just a phone call away," she told them before she waved her final good-byes.

Clark's smile faded to a frown as he closed the door and followed Lois down into the living room. She noticed his pout as she sank onto the sofa.

"What's wrong?"

"I just hate to see her go," he said as he sat down next to her.

"Yeah, I do, too. But she's got to get home. She can't stay with us forever."

"I know." Clark put his head back and stretched his legs to prop his feet on the coffee table. "It was great to have her here though. I was glad she was here for you."

"I'll never again doubt your mom's strength," Lois said as she pushed her legs across the sofa toward Clark. Her feet came to rest against his side.

He glanced down at her feet before pulling them into his lap to rub. When Lois moaned slightly and laid her head back on the arm of the sofa, he smiled. This was a good sign if she was allowing him to touch her without so much as a single protest.

"Oh, Clark, that feels so good," she moaned contentedly as he continued to work his fingers over her tired feet.

"It's the least I can do for everything you've done for me lately."

Lois opened her eyes and raised her head to look at him. "Clark, I *wanted* to take care of you. Never doubt that."

"I don't."

"But?"

"But… I guess I feel a little guilty about putting you through so much. This could have all been avoided if I'd just told you about the cut from the beginning."

"We don't know that for sure. You could just as easily have gotten the infection anyway, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have told me from the beginning," she reminded him. "Though rehashing it won't change a thing. You're okay now and I think you've learned an important lesson."

"I have," he said ruefully. "I will *not* be keeping things from you any more."

"Good." She smiled and pushed her other foot under his hand for a little attention. When he cocked a brow at her, she shrugged. "It was feeling left out."

Chuckling at her explanation, Clark lavished the same careful attention on that foot as he'd done the other. The next few days alone with Lois promised to be very enjoyable and he was definitely looking forward to them.

Lois and Clark had spent their final two days off relaxing at home. They'd argued about him going back to work so soon, but in the end he won, insisting that he couldn't sit around idle or he'd go crazy. He was anxious to return, so there was an extra spring in his walk as he entered the elevator and pressed the appropriate button.

"You promise to take it easy?" Lois fretted like a mother-hen.

"I promise."

"And you'll take it easy on the super stunts?"

He smiled down at her. "You have my word, Lois. Trust me, I don't want to spend two more weeks in bed with another infection. It wasn't exactly pleasant."

"I know." She rubbed his arm as the doors opened.

"Hey, CK," Jimmy greeted them as they made it down the ramp. "Glad to see you back, buddy." The younger man clapped his friend's shoulder.

"Glad to be back, Jimmy. And thanks for stopping by to check on Lois while I was sick."

"That's what friends are for, CK." He flashed a smile at Lois. "How's the baby?"

"Great. But Clark's been driving me crazy since he's been well, so don't you start!" She rolled her eyes as she remembered how Clark had insisted the night before that she eat all her vegetables.

"He's just trying to take care of you, Lois."

"I know." She grimaced a final time and proceeded to her desk as Clark was welcomed back by several staff members. Soon her partner was settled as well and Lane and Kent were on the job again.

Clark managed to keep his promise to take things easy and not get into too many Superman rescues. They'd been back to work for over a week and so far his health seemed to be improving steadily.

But with thoughts of the latest battle still fresh in her mind, Lois was less able to suppress an uneasy feeling of desperation. Her worst fear was that they'd be too late to save Clark. She'd wondered if she'd ever regret the decision to have his child and she had harbored doubts until just recently, but since they'd listened to the baby's heartbeat and felt him or her move, Lois was now fully prepared to love her child and be the best mother she could be.

Only she had to save Clark's life too. The reasons she felt so strongly about that often haunted her thoughts, but she'd pushed them away, concentrating on doing what needed to be done, until now. The realization that life without Clark wouldn't be much of a life at all kept coming back to her. In the past, she'd taken him for granted. If she lost him without ever exploring her feelings, she'd never be able to live with herself. The world might need its superhero, but Lois was beginning to understand that she needed Clark.

So, as was often the case lately, her mind was on Clark and she glanced over at him. He was chewing on the end of his pencil and, vaguely, she hoped it wouldn't end up as sawdust. He'd just replaced the phone on its cradle. Suddenly he smiled as he looked over some notes which he'd jotted down, obviously finding what he was looking for. A second later his hands flew over the keyboard. When he finished, he folded his arms behind his head, leaned back in his chair, and grinned widely. His eyes met hers and she couldn't help but smile back.

"Proud of yourself?"

"Very." He hit a key on his computer, got up to approach her and perched on the corner of her desk, still smiling. "I finished the Conner case -- just got confirmation from the Mayor's office."

"No way." She typed furiously for a minute, then sat silently as she read his writing. "Damn!" She met his gaze again. "I hate you."

"I know. Sometimes all it takes is a fresh eye!" Clark stood, put his hands on her shoulders, and leaned to put his mouth to her ear. "Can you say top banana?"

Lois laughed as Clark went to grab them a cup of coffee. She'd made that statement to him so long ago. Boy, hadn't she been wrong? Perry would give Clark a gold star for that one, and he deserved it -- that story had been sitting on the back-burner for too long. Months ago she'd have felt threatened by the competition but now, she was just pleased to see Clark back up to speed.

Trying to ignore the tingling sensation caused by his soft breath caressing her ear, she sat up to start new research on another of their 'pending' stories, when a conversation from behind her caught her attention. Clark had been detained by Ralph on his way back with the coffee.

"Kent, you're looking well."

"Yeah, Ralph, I feel really great. Thanks."

"Guess the little wife is doing something right." Ralph waggled his brows suggestively to drive home his point.

"What?"

"Come on, Kent. This is me. You can share the amazing secrets of the healing properties your wife clearly possesses."

"Ralph, are you suggesting that I tell you about Lois' and my private life?"

"Nah, not all the boring details... just the good stuff." Ralph threw his arm around Clark's shoulder and leaned closer. "Is she *really* that good? I always heard that some pregnant women were insatiable. Never believed it until now though, but the look on your face says it all, my man!"

Clark stood a little straighter to intimidate slightly. "If I wasn't holding this coffee, I'd seriously consider taking you for a walk."

Ralph chuckled softly. "Sheez, guess she's got you wrapped as tight as she does her sources."

"Ralph, my *wife* is just that. Mine! What we do in our private life is none of your business."

The obnoxious man took a step back and held up his hands at Clark's menacing tone. "Okay, okay! Don't jump down my throat. I was just asking." He turned and started to walk away. "At least I'm not the one who started the pool on how long you'd last together," he mumbled under his breath, though that was a prevarication -- Cat had jokingly suggested it and he'd jumped at the chance to set it up.

Clark's super ears picked up this parting remark. He set the coffee mugs down on the nearest desk and reached out to grab Ralph's arm. "What did you say?"

Ralph winced because Clark was causing him considerable discomfort. He decided that the expression on Clark's face was serious enough that he'd best answer the question. "There's an open bet… that, that you two won't make it past Christmas. There's even speculation that Lois only married you because she felt sorry for you because you're dying and that she never counted on the baby deal. That's why she's still with you. She can't figure out what to do. Some say she'll stay till the end, but others are betting she'll have had enough long before then."

The man finally ran out of steam and groaned because the vice-like grip on his arm tightened. Clark glanced down at his hand for a second, but didn't loosen his hold. He was so angry he was tempted to hit Ralph, but that could never be an option for him. When he'd gathered his thoughts, he glared at Ralph.

"Let's get this straight, shall we? The reasons Lois and I got married are no one's business but our own. I do seriously hate that she has to deal with my illness, when she should be spending her pregnancy getting to know our baby. But this child was not a mistake and we are both very happy about it. My *wife* is very well taken care of and will continue to be. With me, she'll always be cherished and loved. And if this damn place would care to mind their own affairs, she'd probably be as nice to you all as she is to me!"

Clark pulled Ralph just a tad closer. "And if I ever hear you say something as disrespectful about my wife as you just did, you and I *will* take that walk."

Ralph heaved a huge sigh of relief when Clark released his arm. The normally mild-mannered reporter had morphed into the Incredible Hulk, and Ralph scurried away with his tail between his legs. Clark was left alone in the center of the room almost shaking with anger, while others pretended they were completely oblivious to the confrontation that had taken place. He sent a final disgusted glance around, then quickly strode across the newsroom and out the stairwell door, deciding he could use a short flight to clear his mind.

Lois had heard most of the conversation too and was as annoyed as Clark. How dare these people do something as cruel as take bets on their relationship? Didn't they have anything better to do? She fought to keep her control and not jump to her feet to reinforce Clark's statement that everyone should mind their own damn business.

"Lois! Don't let Ralph get to you!" Lois turned to find Jimmy at her elbow, her young friend looking very sympathetic. "He did try to start a book, but he didn't get many takers and when Perry found out, he almost kicked Ralph out. Most people think it's great what you and Clark are doing." In fact, Jimmy wasn't exactly sure what Lois and Clark were doing, but he supported them anyway, as did most of the decent staff of the Planet. "I just wish I'd had the chance to tell CK that before he ran out."

Lois stretched out a hand to touch Jimmy's arm, feeling very grateful for his kind words. "Thanks, Jimmy. Maybe you'll get a chance to speak to Clark later, and if you don't, I'll let him know."

"Sure thing, Lois." With a quick grin Jimmy hurried off.

Lois settled back in her chair, allowing her mind to drift over Clark's words to Ralph. It was so like him to defend her, even though she hadn't always deserved his support. But all that was behind them. That was the way Clark wanted it -- he'd told her so, many times.

It was the moments that counted, he'd said, and he longed to enjoy each precious moment with his baby, whether that was beyond the couple of years the doctor had diagnosed or not. More surprisingly, he wanted Lois to be part of his life too... in whatever role she chose.

She wasn't sure why Clark felt that way. She didn't see herself as lovable; she was far too prickly and independant -- let's face it, those people weren't placing bets because of Clark. Yet there was no denying that Clark saw something in her to admire... and love.

Yes, he was *in love* with her, but she also understood that he would never speak of his true feelings, not wishing to coerce her in any way. Lois had never known that kind of selfless love.... Until now, she'd always believed it existed only in fairy tales.

The question was, what was she supposed to do with that knowledge? She wanted to be the kind of wife Clark deserved, but she wasn't sure how. Lois hadn't grown up with a role model for 'happy families' and the relationships she'd experienced had only emphasised her distrust of committment.

She'd also clawed her way to the top in a very male dominated business, establishing and learning to value her independence. Now she could see that her past was causing her problems in surrendering herself to Clark, but to be fair, Clark had never asked her for anything that she didn't feel comfortable with... apart from the marriage, of course.

And she was now beginning to see that marriage to Clark was something she didn't feel uncomfortable with. Quite the opposite! Since he'd been so ill, she was coming to value her time spent with Clark more than she'd ever thought possible.

Lois had always dreamt that true love would come to her with a fanfare of trumpets and cymbals. But perhaps this was the reality -- the quiet acceptance that her happiness depended solely on the continued existance of one very special person in her life.

She wasn't sure if she was capable of a lifetime kind of love. Yet one thing she did know... Clark meant more to her than anyone ever had before, and she could do something for her best friend.

"I can show him I care," she said softly. Her earlier anger at Raph's cruel jibe was pushed aside in favor of helping to ease Clark's hurt. She knew he'd probably gone flying to calm his nerves, but just as soon as he returned she intended to talk with him -- lend him her strength if he needed it.

With a new plan in the works, she smiled and refocused on the research before her. Who cared what certain idiots thought? She and Clark would get through this... together.

By the time Lois got home, Clark had dinner cooked and the table set. He turned from retrieving a dish from the oven and offered up a brilliant smile.

"Hi," he told her.

"Hi, yourself. What happened to you today? I thought you were taking it easy." She kept her expression neutral.

"I did take it easy. I promise. I was at the hospital with a young burn victim. You can read it all on my laptop. Perry was ecstatic."

Lois moved over to where his laptop sat on the coffee table. When she'd read his article, she made her way to the table. "You were there as Clark?"

"Well, after Superman dropped the little girl off. Since I haven't been at work in so long, I thought I could score a few points with an article about the victim as well as the fire itself." He settled in his chair and served Lois a healthy portion of salad to go with her lasagna. "Eat up… Mommy."

She couldn't completely stop smiling at that remark and, employing her recently discovered honesty, she had to admit that being taken care of was rather nice. They ate in silence for a while before Lois looked up at Clark.

"I, ah, I overheard your conversation with Ralph today."

Clark put his fork down and sat back. "I was planning to tell you," he admitted. "I've been sitting here trying to figure out how." He leaned to place a hand on hers. "Lois, I'm sorry."

"For what? You're Superman, not the morality police. You can't stop people from thinking and doing stupid things."

Clark's brows rose as he studied her closely. "You're not upset?"

"I was, but then I figured I'd enjoy the show. There's something very satisfying in seeing that slimeball taken down a peg or two!" She smiled mischievously, turning her hand over to squeeze his. "Besides, Jimmy let me in on the fact that Ralph isn't being knocked over in the rush of staffers placing bets. Clark, it's only a sad few, so let them think what they want. As long as we know the truth, who cares?"

"Wow! Ms. Lane, I believe you've turned a corner."

"I believe I have." She gave his hand another squeeze before releasing it. "Now let's finish this delicious dinner."

"Yes, Lois." Clark's grin widened as he thought about Lois. He had no idea why she was so... content, but he liked it.

Clark wasn't sure if he'd been dreaming lately or not. Things were so incredible in his life that he felt sure it wouldn't last. He was married to his partner, the woman he loved, and her change of attitude towards him lately made him feel like singing. Only he thought he'd spare Lois that one... somehow he didn't think her warming up to him would survive his out of tune warbling.

Then there was the fact that he would soon be a father -- that was just so incredibly exciting.

<You're already a father.>

He smiled again, guessing that was true. Whether this baby was actually here or not, he was a father. He glanced up to see Lois looking back at him with a grin of her own. Maybe she was starting to feel the same way. His smile widened when she pushed up from her desk and approached him.

"Would you like to go out tonight?"

"You mean... like a date?" he asked with raised brows.

"Yeah. I want you to forget about everything and just go out with me."

His smile beamed even brighter. "Yeah. I think maybe I'd like that."

"Good. Seven. I'll pick you up."

He was about to question her reasoning, after all they lived together, but she was already back at her desk. He shrugged and turned to get back to work. Thoughts of Lois would have to wait until after their story was done.

As the day progressed, Lois grew more and more excited about her date with Clark. They'd only had one other official date, even though they went out to dinner often, it seemed more informal than tonight. Tonight was just for fun, just for them. It was the first active step she'd voluntarily taken to show Clark that she *did* care for him.

She opened the door to the apartment just in time to see Clark stepping into the bedroom from his shower.

"Hi," he said as he toweled his hair. "I didn't expect you until seven."

"I know. I wanted to change. Tonight's casual. Why don't you wear those black pants you wore the first time we went out? You look good in black."

"Okay." Clark spun quickly, stopping fully dressed in the same outfit he'd worn the night he proposed.

"Show off," she told him as she passed him to go change.

He chuckled and stepped in front of the mirror to finish getting ready. Ten minutes later they were headed out the door.

"This is terrific," Clark told Lois. She'd gotten them floor seats at the Metropolis Stars basketball game. He'd been surprised when they drove to the parking garage at the Planet and caught a cab downtown. When he'd learned their destination, he turned questioning eyes to Lois. She simply smiled and said it was her late wedding present to him. He hadn't thought much of that as his excitement took over. He hadn't taken in a ballgame in years and was as appreciative as a kid.

Lois laughed at his exuberance. This had been the best idea she'd ever had -- a practical way of showing Clark she appreciated him and of expressing those growing feelings she couldn't voice. Maybe a game wasn't quite enough, but it was good to see him so relaxed.

"Hey, I noticed you played football in high school and college. Did you play basketball, too?"

Clark turned to Lois. "No. Actually I didn't take it up until just a few years ago. It's one of the few games I can play alone without cheating."

Lois laughed softly. "I hadn't thought of that. What about golf? I play a bit, and I'll take you on... if you promise not to use 'the powers'." She mouthed the last two words. "Oh, and we'll have to wait until after this little one is delivered," she said, patting her stomach, "but I'd like to play a... round with you!"

The sparkle in her eye and her naughty smirk told him she knew exactly what she was doing, but Clark didn't care. This was the first time Lois had actually suggested doing something together after the baby was born, and it sent Clark directly to Cloud Nine!

<Calm down, boy,> he instructed himself, believing it was best to continue taking one day at a time. Instead, he smiled, took another sip of his beer for courage and tried not to squeak, "You do? Do you want anything else? Now, I mean... do you want anything now... drinks, something to eat?"

"I asked you out, remember? This is my treat."

"I know. It's just hard to forget my manners."

Lois rubbed his arm, saying contritely, "I used to mock those manners -- thought they were too Hicksville!"

"I know." He watched her over the rim of his cup. When he lowered the drink, he asked, "Do you like them now?"

"Absolutely. I have for a long while now. It's what makes you Clark."

"And here I thought you loved me because I could fly," he said softly.

"Now how could I forget that?" she teased back. "Do you think it'll be safe to do that now?"

"Lois, you're pregnant, not dead. I don't plan on dropping you. Besides, we've flown since you found out you were pregnant."

"I know that. I just wasn't sure with me getting bigger."

"You forget you're carrying a super baby," he told her with twinkling eyes.

She turned to him with a serious expression. "Clark, I meant it when I said this baby means a lot to me and I just don't want to do anything that would jeopardize its health."

"I know. Me neither! Maybe we could ask Bernie," Clark suggested, reaching out to squeeze her hand.

"Sounds like a good plan!"

"Thank you, Lois... for this."

"No. Thank you."

He could only look at her for a long moment. Lois had given him the world. How did he repay such a debt?

The cheering of the crowd broke into their intimate exchange, shifting the mood back to one of a casual date and the couple settled back to watch the game. Lois asked a ton of questions, all of which Clark answered happily. Afterwards they stopped at a café to grab a cup of coffee and share a few more moments before they called it a night.

"I had a great time," Clark told Lois as he helped her take off her jacket once inside the apartment.

"So did I." She kicked off her shoes and started down the stairs. "I think we should go out at least one night a week."

"Like a date night?" Clark had ro remind himself to breathe as his heart raced. Lois had certainly made a drastic change.

"Yeah. We could take turns choosing what to do and, I promise, we'll have a lot of fun. I had fun tonight, didn't you?" The last question was delivered with just a touch of uncertainty.

"Sure, I did! Couldn't you tell?" Clark grinned and bounded down the stairs behind her. "Okay, I'm definitely willing to give this date thing a try."

Later, Lois sat on the edge of her bed, thinking about the man she'd been out with tonight. She had enjoyed their 'date'... a lot, and she was looking forward to others. The amazing thing was, though, she didn't need 'dates'; she was happy just to be with Clark.

This was getting seriously scary! The Lois Lane who didn't need anyone was slowly slipping away.

Her hand covered her stomach and the new life they'd created. When she'd started out on this path, she'd never really considered how she'd feel about this child. Sure, she knew there would be a connection, but she'd never really seen herself as the mothering type. Though she'd been slow to come around, this baby now meant more to her than anything or anyone could.

Clark had come through from the bathroom and witnessed the play of emotions on her face. He sat beside her on the bed. "Pretty incredible, huh?"

"Yeah."

"No regrets?"

"None."

Clark's eyes dropped to her stomach. "I was reading your book… the pregnancy one." She cocked her brow at him. "I wanted to know what's going on so I can help in any way."

"I think I like that idea."

"You don't think there will be anything wrong, do you? I mean, because of our differences." His eyes met hers again and Lois was surprised by a shade of fear, barely concealed in Clark's gaze.
"Clark, no. Dr. Klein and Doc. Lewis both say the baby's fine. You've heard that beautiful heartbeat. It's normal and healthy."

"I know. I just think I'll feel better when we see the sonogram."

"Well, we only have three more days to wait. Will you relax then?"

"I hope so." His eyes drifted to her stomach, then back to her face. "Thank you," he whispered.

"You keep thanking me! Will you stop? You know I was the one to offer to do this... you didn't need to ask."

"That's what I mean, Lois. Not many people would offer to do such a huge thing for a friend." Clark's hand rose to trace Lois' cheek gently, then dropped to his lap. "I don't care what anyone else thinks, Lois, you are an amazing woman and I could never find a more generous and loyal friend."

Lois' eyes stung with tears at the emotion she heard in his voice. On impulse she leaned over and kissed him softly. Her hand held his face as she leaned back to look in his eyes. They stared into each other's soul a beat before Clark returned his hand to her face and kissed her again.

He drew back to look at her. "You told me earlier that the game was a late wedding present. Now I feel bad. I haven't gotten you anything."

"Sure you have." Lois lifted Clark's hand to her stomach. "My present's growing inside me," she whispered.

Clark's eyes filled with tears. He let his hand stroke her body. "I think this is my gift." He brought his other hand up to join the one on Lois' mid section. "Lois, what you're doing… this is … well, it's…"

Lois placed a finger over his lips. "No more thank yous," she reminded him, blinking back her own tears. She smiled through her haze as she stroked a lock of hair off Clark's forehead.

Clark smiled back before rising to his feet. He had to put some emotional distance between them or he'd never survive. "How about you get ready for bed and I'll brush your hair?"

"You've got a deal." She stood to go get changed, but stopped briefly to caress his face before disappearing behind the bathroom door.

Clark had to take a deep breath. It appeared things were changing for him and Lois more than he'd first anticipated. That kiss had almost made him forget his promise about not pushing her into anything physical. While he knew he would have stopped if she'd protested even slightly, and he was sure she would have, he didn't want her to feel the least bit uncomfortable with him. He'd worked hard to establish an easiness in their relationship and he'd be damned if he'd mess that up with a moment of weakness from his traitorous body.

But he still felt elated about the baby. Nearly twenty three weeks into the pregnancy and the silly grin he'd had from day one was still present as he changed. He was sitting on Lois' bed, brush in hand when she came back in the room. He patted the mattress and she sat cross-legged in front of him.

"That feels great," she told him as he pulled the brush gently through her satiny hair.

"See. You won't have to worry about a daughter not having her hair brushed out before we cart her off every morning."

Lois didn't know whether or not he realized, but he'd just admitted he might live to see his child grow. The idea delighted her and she let her head fall back to look at him upside down.

"Is that what you want? A girl?"

Clark let the brush stop and he shrugged. "I don't care what we have. He or she will be just as loved."

She lifted her head and twisted around on the bed. "Good answer, Mr. Kent."

"How 'bout you? You have a preference?"

"Actually… I think it's going to be a boy."

"Do you?"

"Mmm. It sounds crazy, but do you remember I told you I had a dream… The one the night before I first mentioned this." Clark nodded. "In the dream, I saw the baby. Don't look at me like that." She pushed at his chest. "I told you it was crazy."

"No crazier than anything else that's happened," Clark told her as he turned her away from him so he could continue brushing her hair. "So, you saw a boy?"

"Yeah. He was tiny with a head full of black hair and big, brown eyes."

"How do you know it was a boy?"

"Because he was naked. I'd just given birth."

"Oh." Clark dropped the brush to the bed and threaded his fingers through her hair.

"Having fun?"

"Yep. I've always wanted to do this."

"Really?"

"Uh huh. You have great hair."

"Thank you. You have great hands." She smiled in contentment as he kept up his task.

Some time later Clark smiled as he looked down at his sleeping wife. She'd fallen asleep with him caressing her hair. He laid her back on her pillow and settled to watch her sleep for a while before going up to his room. Clark knew he'd never get over the way he felt for Lois -- for him, she was simply the most breathtaking woman alive.

"Clark, would you sit down? You're making me nervous."

"I can't help it. I'm excited."

"I know you are." They were going to be able to see the baby on a sonogram today and he'd been up since sunrise, too excited to sleep. He reminded Lois of a kid on Christmas morning. "I am, too."

He smiled over at her brightly as he continued to check out the machine that would allow them the first glance at the new life. His head snapped up when the technician came in.

"Hello. I'm Riley. I'll be taking the pictures of the baby."

Clark moved to Lois' side, helping her lift her blouse to prepare for the test. His eyes widened appreciatively at the growing bulge she now sported. This was the only time he got to see her like this and he reveled in every moment.

The technician squirted some gel on Lois' skin then worked the wand over her stomach for several moments before he turned the monitor for the couple to see. "There you go."

"Oh wow!" Clark was like a kid in a candy store. "Look, Lois, you can see the spine." He pointed eagerly to the very visible marks that indicated the baby's backbone.

"I see, Clark."

Riley continued to move the wand, stopping at different points to take measurements. "This is a hand," he told them. He moved to another point. "A foot."

"And that… is that his heart?" Clark asked.

"Yes, sir."

Clark tuned in his hearing and listened as the pace matched the blinking of the small blotch on the screen. He leaned over to whisper in Lois' ear. "I wish you could hear that like I can."

She turned to look up at him. "I do, too."

He smiled slightly apologetically and rubbed her head.

Riley took a couple more measurements, then printed out some pictures. Retrieving them from the machine, he handed them to Clark with a tolerant grin. He'd seen that same look on the faces of new parents before, but it never ceased to amuse him. "Your first baby pictures."

Clark took the offered items as if they were gold.

"Everything looks great and with these new measurements, we'll readjust the due date. You should expect this little guy or girl -- sorry we couldn't determine the sex."

"That's okay. I think we'd rather be surprised. Isn't that right, Clark?" Lois asked as she glanced up at
her partner, who was still clearly lost in the images before him.

"Yeah," he answered automatically without lifting his eyes from the paper he held.

Lois and Riley shared a knowing smile before Riley continued, "Anyway, expect this little visitor on...." He read over the measurements and dates again. "February 28th." Riley handed Lois a few towels to clean up with before he rose to leave.

Clark was so intent on the pictures he completely forgot about Lois and didn't hear the new due date. When she sat up, he lifted his head. "Oh, Lois. I'm sorry. I should have helped you." He was reaching to help her off the table. "Why didn't you say something?"

"I was enjoying watching you. You look so happy."

"I am." He leaned over to place a kiss on her temple. "Very happy."

"So am I. Did you hear the new due date? It's changed by a week."

Clark looked over at her while she straightened her clothes. "Really?"

"Yeah. Riley says February 28th."

The proud papa felt like bursting, his smile widening until it almost reached his ears. Lois could almost see the wheels in his head turning. The due date was also his birthday and he looked extremely pleased.

"You do know that's not an exact science?"

"I guess," he said as he glanced down at the photos again. "But it still feels good -- the best birthday present of all time!"

Lois shook her head and smiled as they left the office. She reached out to take his arm when they stepped onto the sidewalk, pleasing the beaming father even more, and he sighed in contentment. If seeing this child on a monitor did this much for him, Lois wasn't sure she'd be able to stand it when Clark could actually hold their baby. She had a feeling he'd be unbearable, but she also suspected that she wouldn't mind at all!