Chapter 11
Home Is Where the Hurt Is

The apartment was quiet when Lois arrived home, her mind still reeling from stories of proud owners losing their expensive charges in mysterious and distressing circumstances. Clark had been right; whoever was behind this had tapped into a money-making business. Sure, it wouldn't make the perpetrators millions but it would keep them pretty comfortably off. Though Lois had originally scoffed at the case, it was just as illegal as any other robbery and it left behind some very grieved owners. She was determined to put a stop to it.

It was too quiet and Lois wondered if Clark had again gone out on a Superman rescue. He was just too helpful for his own good. He was going to kill himself, even after all their discussions, and arguments, about him slowing down.

Of course, he could be sleeping; he was doing a lot of that these days. She walked down the stairs and called softly, not wanting to wake him up from his nap. A soft groan could be heard coming from the bathroom.

"Clark?" she called as she pushed through the door.

"Uhhh?" A grunt was her only answer.

"Oh no!" She rushed to his side. He must have been sicker than she thought because he was lying on the floor. "Clark?" She knelt to check on him.

"Sorry," he told her, attempting a weak smile. "Another bad day."

"I see. Why are you lying on the floor?"

"It's cool down here -- that helps with the nausea." His fingers knuckled his closed eyelids.

"Don't!" Lois caught his probing fingers in one hand while the other pushed damp tendrils of hair from his face. His skin felt clammy. "Clark, you're so hot!"

"I don't feel very good. Can you help me up?"

"Okay!" Lois grabbed his other arm to heave him off the floor, but when she touched him, he immediately flinched and rolled away from her, protecting his arm with his body.

"Clark, what's going on here?" she asked as she scrambled round him to look into his face. It didn't surprise her to see him biting down on his lip, probably trying to stifle another groan. Fear rose into her throat. "Please, tell me. Is something wrong with your arm? Will you let me see?"

There was no way he could hide his pain any longer. Something was seriously wrong with him, and he needed help. Clark struggled to sit up, with a little help from Lois. Once he felt steady enough, he extended his left arm to Lois, grimacing as she unbuttoned his cuff and rolled up his sleeve.

Hidden beneath the shirt was a dirty blood-stained dressing. "What's this?"

Clark closed his eyes again, feeling guilty at Lois' accusing tone. He couldn't blame her. He should never have tried to hide his injury. Lois carefully unwrapped the bandage, revealing a nasty cut which oozed pus, while the flesh around it was red and swollen.

"Clark, when did this happen?"

"At the multiple car crash a few days ago," he said sheepishly, through his agony. "I cut myself on a jagged piece of metal. I got a shock, but I didn't want to worry you and I thought it would heal quickly."

"Obviously not," Lois complained, her anger stirred by fright. "Clark, this whole thing is worrying me. You can't keep things like this in the dark."

"I know that now, Lois. I'm sorry, but please don't scold... I don't think I'm up for a lecture."

Seeing the beads of sweat standing out on his forehead, which was also creased in pain, Lois could well believe it. Her anger faded as quickly as it had come. "I'll save my tirade for later. Come on, let's go see Dr Klein again."

But it soon became obvious that Clark would be lucky to make it to her bed. Whenever he was standing, his legs began to shake and it was all Lois could do to get him into the next room. Like two drunkards they lurched across the floor until Clark tumbled onto the bed.

Lois took a couple of deep breaths to steady herself. "I think Bernie needs to come here this time. You lie down while I go call him."

Two worrying, exhausting days later Lois leaned up against the brick wall of the kitchen, talking to her mother-in-law on the phone. She kept her voice low. Clark had just managed to get to sleep and she didn't want to wake him again. He was so worn out.

"Martha, it's so good to speak to you."

"I'm glad you phoned, Lois. You know that Jonathan and I are here for you whenever you need us." Martha's voice was warm and comforting and Lois felt tears fill her eyes. But when the older woman spoke again there was a slight tremor in her voice, betraying her own concern. "How's my boy?"

"He's asleep, Martha. Dr Klein has managed to find some medication to reduce Clark's fever for now, but the cut won't heal... and the infection isn't responding to any of the antibiotics which he's tried out." Lois pulled over a chair from the table and sank into it weakly. "Clark's arm's a mess and nothing seems to be working."

"Lois, I'm taking it that his superpowers have gone, since he got cut."

"At the moment, yes. Bernie thinks that Superman overdid things and drained his powers. Then he cut himself when he went to help at a pile-up on the freeway the other day and picked up an infection. Added to the leukemia, his body just couldn't fight it off."

"So Superman has gone then?" Martha asked quietly.

"Not necessarily! According to what Bernie says, if the infection can be cured and Clark rests up and spends lots of time in the sun, then his powers might come back... for a time. Only, Clark has to learn to take things easier." Lois was warming to her subject and her nerves were stretched too tight, giving her words an edge. "But you know what he's like; he feels duty bound to rescue people whenever he thinks he's up to it."

"Duty bound to kill himself, that is." The fact that Martha would make such an emotive statement proved she was also sharing Lois' fears.

For some moments there was silence on both ends of the phone as the two women composed themselves, refusing to dwell on the possibility of losing Clark.

"Lois, how are you holding up?"

"I'm okay, Martha," Lois sighed.

"You sound very tired to me, my dear. How would you like it if I came to Metropolis for a few days to help you take care of Clark?"

"Oh, Martha, you don't have to do that!" Yet the surge of eagerness in Lois' voice warred with her words.

"I know I don't have to, but I want to, Lois."

Since Lois wasn't feeling too confident of her nursing abilities, Martha's assistance sounded very tempting.Yet, she reminded herself that Clark's parents ran their farm pretty much single-handedly; at least, as far as she knew.Neither of them could run to Metropolis at every emergency.

"That's kind of you, Martha, but what about the farm? Don't you have work to do?"

There was the sound of a quiet laugh from the Kansas end of the line.

"Lois, farm work pretty much slows down this late in the year. There's only the apple harvest left to get in. Clark usually helps with that, but the Irig boys will be only too happy to lend Jon a hand under the circumstances. It's the way it is in the country; neighbors help each other out in times of trouble."

"If you're sure, I really could use your help," Lois gave in gratefully. "Perry's been very good about this. I mean, Clark's on sick leave, of course, but Perry's given me time off to take care of him. But the Planet needs one of its top reporting team at work. If you could help out, I'd really appreciate it.... Though I wouldn't go back to work full time," Lois stated firmly. "I couldn't let all Clark's care fall on you. I don't want you to think that I mind looking after him."

"I know that, Lois." This time it was Martha who reassured her daughter-in-law. "But you have the baby to think of too, Lois. It won't help things if you wear yourself out. The last thing we need is for you to be sick, as well." There was a silence while Martha gave Lois time to consider her words. "I'll talk to Jonathan and make arrangements for Maisie to come in to take care of things while I'm gone. I'll fly to Metropolis tomorrow."

"Thank you, Martha. Let me know when you're set to arrive and I'll pick you up... or ask Jimmy to come get you."

"That's not needed, Lois. I can take a taxi from the airport."

"Martha, please, it's the least I can do."

"Okay, honey. You keep your chin up, and I'll be with you tomorrow." A sniffle was her only answer. "And tell Clark we love him."

"I will, Martha. See you tomorrow."

Far away in Kansas the phone was placed on its cradle, while Lois sat in silence in the dusk, feeling the tension drain from her shoulders. Tomorrow she would have Martha's love and practical support to see her through the next few days. If only she could be sure that it would only be a few days and that Clark was going to get well.

Bernard had repeatedly tried to convince her that this was not the beginning of the end and that Clark was only suffering from a badly infected cut that was stubbornly refusing to heal. However, after two days of redressing his arm at regular intervals and trying to keep his temperature down Lois was feeling very fragile. Martha's offer of help was certainly welcome.

"Lois?" Clark called fretfully from the next room.

Oh no! He was awake again. Lois pushed herself up wearily and went to see what he wanted, but she met him coming through the archway into the kitchen.

"Clark, what are you doing getting out of bed?" Lois asked fractiously.

"I'm thirsty, Lois, and I didn't want to be a burden. I'm perfectly capable of getting myself a drink of water." But he gave the lie to his words as he staggered forward.

Lois put her arms out swiftly to steady him. "Yes, so I see. Clark, if you fall on the floor again that will make my job harder. Come on, let's get you back to bed and I'll put a glass and pitcher of iced water on the nightstand."

Clark gave a tiny lopsided smile. "I guess I'm not as capable as I thought."

"True!" Lois laughed back as she helped him lie down in bed. "Now stay, and I'll get your water."

Minutes later Lois was back and she poured him a glass which he quickly drained. "Good. Now try to get back to sleep. Bernie says that rest will help you recoup your strength and help you heal."

"You know, Lois, I think I'd sleep better if I knew you were sleeping too."

"I promise, as soon as you're asleep, I'll go lie down on the couch."

"Why don't you sleep here?" Clark held back the covers, inviting Lois to join him. "It would make me feel better."

His words were accompanied by one of his patented 'soulful-eyed' looks and it was one she could hardly resist. And she did feel tired.

"Okay, you win," Lois said on another smile.

She hurriedly put out the lights in the apartment and made her way back to bed in the dim light from the bedside lamp. Clark had made more room for her, and she sank gratefully onto the mattress, pulling up the quilt. He gave her a relieved smile and within minutes both of them were asleep.

Martha arrived at the apartment on Clinton Avenue the next afternoon and life became a little easier for the couple. Although Martha had never had to nurse her son since he was a baby, she did have quite a bit of experience with Jonathan and her friends back in Smallville.

Unlike Lois, she wasn't awkward when she treated Clark. Martha was completely at ease sponging Clark's face and chest to bring down his fever and coaxing him to eat her tasty homemade meals. She was also very adept at handling a fractious Clark.

All these things made Lois very grateful for her mother-in-law's presence because it meant the responsibility for Clark's welfare was now shared. She actually enjoyed Martha's friendly company and she too found herself the object of the older woman's care.

Martha had been shocked when Lois first opened the door to her and she'd been confronted by the tired, pale young woman. It hadn't taken long for her to find out that Lois hadn't been eating regularly and had been spending most of her nights napping in a chair by Clark's bed. Martha's kind heart had been touched and she'd taken charge of both her children, making sure that Lois ate properly and insisting that she spend her nights sleeping in the upstairs attic. After all, if Lois was going back to work then she needed her rest.

With Martha's help, things got a little better for Lois and Clark, and everyone would have been much happier if only Clark's wound was showing the same improvement. That, however, didn't appear to be happening. The open injury resisted all Bernie's antibiotic medication and it continued to suppurate, while angry streaks of infection marred the surrounding skin.

In the evenings and often long into the night, Clark's temperature would rise a few degrees, causing him much distress and leaving his family extremely anxious.

It was largely due to this state of helplessness that Bernard Klein came up with a very unconventional treatment. Suffering bouts of frustration over lack of progress, Bernie took to scouring the scientific and medical Internet sites where he found news of a rather antiquated, yet seemingly successful remedy.

Very quickly he passed the news to Clark, Lois and Martha and, when he was given the go ahead by the three, he contacted the research doctor in question, who happened to be an old college friend and who worked in a branch of Star Labs in New York. A sealed package of the 'cure' was sent post-haste in the internal mailing system which operated between these two sister-labs and the special dressing was just as urgently placed on Clark's injured arm. Lois, Clark and Martha had followed the procedure avidly, but, to their disappointment, the dressing had been sealed and the doctor's actions so uncommonly deft they hadn't been able to spot anything unusual.

That had been a few days previously and Clark couldn't help but wonder what was happening beneath the white sterile surface of the bandage -- could being 'eaten' actually heal him? Now he and his mother were patiently waiting for Bernie's evening visit, when, for the first time, this dressing would be removed and the state of the wound revealed.

They'd expected Lois to be home in time for the visit, but she'd phoned earlier to let them know that the 'lost dog' story had broken and she was down at the police station giving her statement. The precint was clearly doing an enactment of 'Pet Rescue', judging by the background noise of barks and whines. Above the din, Lois promised Clark she'd be home in time for his 'big moment' and, although she kept her voice light, Clark wasn't fooled. He knew she was concerned about what they would find... they all were.

The only sign Clark had that Bernie's unusual dressing might actually be doing some good, was the fact that his arm did feel less painful and that he could move it more easily than previously.

Clark looked over at his mother who was reading quietly in a chair by the window and tried to push himself up further in the bed. Martha was immediately at his side.

"Clark, let me help you."

"Mom, it's okay, really. I can manage."

Martha's hand slipped under his good arm to support him. "You shouldn't use your sore arm, Clark. Bernard said to keep it still."

"I know, Mom. But it does feel better. So perhaps these little bugs are helping."

"We won't have long to wait to find out."

"No...." Clark's voice trailed off as he leaned forward to look through the archway at the front door.

"Clark, Lois said she'd be back and she will," Martha said, understanding his unconscious action.

"Bernie will be here soon, too. She doesn't have much time, and, besides, why would she think it was important to be here?"

"Clark! I'm going to put that remark down to you being fretful. Of course, Lois is worried about what we're going to find. She cares about you. She hasn't even gone back to work fulltime, and she spends most of her evenings here with you. She even puts up with your temper tantrums."

"Mom, I do not throw temper tantrums!"

"I admit that's a bit strong, but you haven't been your mild-mannered self either."

"I'm not used to being ill and having to spend so much time in bed," Clark said petulantly, but with a change of mood, he smiled contritely. "I'm sorry, Mom. I know I've put Lois and you through a whole lot. I am sorry."

Dropping a gentle kiss on his brow, Martha returned his smile. "Well, you haven't been so bad, and Lois and I are here because we care."

The door opened with a bang, and a tornado-type Lois burst into the apartment. "I'm not too late am I?" she called as she came down the stairs, stripping off her coat.

"No, Lois. Bernard's not here yet," Martha replied and swiftly picked up the coat which had been tossed on a chair in transit and was in danger of ending up on the floor.

"Good! I can't wait to see this." Lois settled beside Clark on the bed and looked at him speculatively. "You know, you do look better, Clark. You don't look so flushed."

"Hi, Lois," he grinned. "I was just saying to Mom that my arm feels better.... I feel a bit stronger too."

"You do? That's great!" Anyone watching the smile that lit up Lois' face couldn't doubt her sincerity.

"How did things go down at the station?"

Her smile grew wider. "Clark, if you could have seen Bill Henderson's face when we turned up with all the 'evidence'! I think they're more used to inanimate stolen goods. It caused quite a fuss, I can tell you. But I'm glad that the case is cleared up. The thieves will go to prison, since they were caught with the stuff and the animals will go back to their homes. It's a good result, even if the story won't win us any awards."

"I don't think that's important here, Lois, and I'm sure you'll win that Pulitzer some day."

Having finished hanging up the discarded coat, Martha came back into the room with a glass of milk and a large sandwich, both of which she handed to Lois. "Clark and I ate earlier but you probably haven't had time to eat, so I made you this."

"Thanks, Martha. You know me so well. I managed to grab a roll at lunchtime, but I'm sure it wasn't as good as this will be... and I'm starving." Lois bit into the soft bread. "Chicken salad -- just what I need." She munched through her mouthful before continuing. "And I better enjoy this now, before Bernie arrives; somehow I don't think I'll feel so hungry later."

"Thanks for reminding me, Lois," Clark groaned.

"Are you sure you don't feel anything, Clark?" Lois narrowed her eyes as she stared at the bandage around his arm.

"Yeah, I'm sure."

"That's because maggots only eat the dead flesh, Clark." Bernard Klein came through the archway into the bedroom, carrying a small medical chest, as three faces turned towards him in surprise. "Sorry, the door was open. I did knock."

"Bernie!" Lois said round another bite of food. "I must have left the door open when I got home. Come on in. We've been waiting for you."

"This is pretty exciting stuff, isn't it, trying out new procedures? Though you could hardly call this new... more a resurrected procedure. Did I mention it was commonly used by military men in the 1800s? Quite amazing!" the doctor remarked animatedly, till he noticed the quizzical stares turned in his direction. "I just thought you might like to know that... sorry!" He moved closer to the bed, lifting Clark's wrist to check his pulse. "How are you doing, Clark?"

"Better, I think."

There was a few minutes of quiet while Bernard continued with his quick examination of Clark. "I'd say that you could be correct. Are you all ready for this?" Bernie checked the three who were watching him in anticipation. "I have to remind you that I have no idea of what we're going to find. My colleague tells me that these maggots have managed to get rid of infections in wounds that refuse to respond to any other kind of treatment, so I'm hoping they've done good work here."

"You don't think that they might have needed reinforced teeth to make an impression on Clark do you?" Lois asked, hiding her worry under a tease.

"Ha-ha!" Bernard grinned back at Lois as his hands carefully began to unwrap the dressing.

"Lois, you might not have noticed, but I've lost my invulnerability... or this wouldn't be a problem." Clark's voice was also light but his eyes were riveted on Bernie's actions.

Lois put her plate down on the nightstand, her interest in food completely gone and she was grateful to find her hand taken up by Martha. She gave her mother-in-law a tiny smile as both women sought to support each other.

It seemed like an eternity, but was in actual fact only a few seconds before the doctor lifted the dressing away, revealing an open but perfectly clean wound. "Well, I'll be damned. It worked!" Bernie said on a nervous laugh. "Who would have thought it?!"

And indeed the maggots had cleaned the cut. Bernard locked away the wriggling bugs, then he turned back to his patient, looking very relieved.

"Stan told me that the maggots just consume the dead tissue and leave the good. I was ready to accept it in theory, but I never expected them to work so well." As he spoke, Bernard was moving Clark's arm to check it out and gently prodding at the now pink flesh. "How does that feel, Clark?"

Clark gaze was focused on his upper arm in amazement. "It feels okay. Still a bit sore, but it's not throbbing like it was before. Is the wound as clean as it looks?"

"I'd say so," Bernie answered. "But I'd like to keep a close eye on it over the next few days. It's still open, but now that we've gotten rid of the poison it should heal. I'll put a clean dressing on it and, Martha, could you change it every day?"

"Yes, of course." Martha sounded extremely relieved.

These past few nights when she'd sat up to nurse Clark as he'd tossed and turned feverishly in his sleep, she'd been extremely apprehensive. She'd disguised her worries for the sake of her son and his wife, but the fact that he was getting better almost took her breath away, and she sank behind Lois on the bed.

"I'd also speculate that your powers might come back in a lesser way, Clark," Bernie continued with his prognosis. "As soon as you feel able, I'd spend time in the sun to encourage that. But," Bernie pointed a stern finger at Clark, "and it is a big but, Clark, if you overdo things again your powers will disappear and you'll leave yourself open to all sorts of infections. This time the maggots worked, but who knows what will happen next time."

Clark looked suitably chastised... for now. He'd been scared himself. "Okay, Bernie. I'll do everything you say."

"He'd better, Bernard, or he'll have Lois and me to answer to." Martha had regained her composure and she watched as the doctor finished off the new bandage on Clark's arm, then put his equipment away. "Would you like a coffee, Bernard... perhaps something to eat? I made sandwiches...."

"Thank you, Martha. That would be nice. I came straight over here from work. Sometimes I get carried away and I forget to eat...."

"Now who else do I know like that?" Martha asked as she laughed happily, staring pointedly at Lois, who had the grace to blush. "Come on, Bernard, let's leave these two to talk. I think I can feed you. And, Lois, finish your sandwich."

"Yes, Mom!" Lois said teasingly, then catching Clark's eye, she blushed even more.

Clark was smiling. He felt good and he liked the sound of Lois calling Martha, Mom!

For the first time in nearly two weeks, Lois was finally able to take a break. Clark had regained a great deal of strength since the bandage had been removed three days earlier. Mostly, he spent his days on the balcony in the sunshine and was quickly recouping his energy. However, both she and Martha were adamant that he couldn't jump back into any super activities, even though he had minimal powers back. Their chastising didn't seem to be necessary, though, because Clark was content to just lie around, much as he'd been doing since this latest bout of illness began.

Lois took her coffee and went out onto the balcony to sit in the rocker and watch Clark sleep. The warm sun felt good during the day as the nights had grown cool. Lois, however, didn't much mind the cooler autumn nights, hoping to stave off the intense hot flashes she'd been having for the last few days. She'd chalked it up to stress over worrying about Clark, but Martha quickly reminded her of the growing baby in her abdomen.

Clark slept soundly on the chaise lounge, just as he usually did in the afternoons. The sun was restoring him a little at the time, much to everyone's relief.

Sighing, Lois pulled her legs up into the chair just as the baby made his or her presence known. Subconciously, she smiled while her hand smoothed over the skin that was beginning to grow taut around her mid-section. She hadn't had a lot of time to think about things the last few days, but now that the worrying moments were over, everything began to hit her full force. She set her cup on the table beside the rocker and laid her head back in hopes of stopping the tears she felt stinging her lids.

Clark's bout with infection from the cut had been a very close call indeed. Bernie had since told them that while Clark's body had been unable to resist the invading bacteria, there was every chance the leukemia could have accelerated and in his weakened state he would have been unable to fight the disease. Much sooner than predicted they could have lost Clark.

As that fact sank in, Lois could barely stop her body from shaking in a mixture of terror and relief. She'd never considered that Clark could have very easily died from a simple cut to his arm. Thankfully, so far, there was no evidence that his cancer had progressed because of this latest battle, even though it could have. That realization was overwhelming.

She'd started out with this whole pregnancy thing to save his life, staying focused on that target and nothing else. Lois hadn't counted on Clark insisting they get married and she'd certainly never counted on her feelings for him deepening.

Sure, she'd always known she cared for Clark; they were good friends. There was no way to work with someone as closely as they did without coming to feel something for him. That was why she'd agreed to undertake such a task to save his life; why she'd given in and married him. And that's why she was shaking in relief now.

She lifted her head, wiping the tears from her cheeks, to look at the sleeping form of the man who had slowly come to mean more to her than she'd ever thought possible. It had taken nearly losing him for her to admit that though. In one single moment she could have lost her partner, her best friend, her… husband, and her baby's father. Life without Clark wasn't something Lois wanted to face.

For a long time, she'd been fighting so hard against the connection between them, too afraid of the pain of rejection to accept that her happiness relied completely on Clark's continued good health and their being together.

She eased from the rocker and over to the chair next to his, taking his hand in hers. Yes, she was very glad Clark was going to be okay. And maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to see if they could take their relationship to the next level. After all, this baby needed Daddy as much, if not more, than Mommy.

From the doorway of the bedroom, Martha smiled at the couple on the balcony. Her daughter-in-law might not be ready to admit to herself or the rest of the world the incredible feelings she held for her husband, but a mother and wife from Kansas could see it from where she stood. She turned and sighed happily as she busied herself with dinner preparations.