Table Of Contents

September 1973

Martha and Jonathan were seated in the classroom of Clark's second grade teacher, after school had let out. Clark's teacher, Mrs. Minor, was explaining to them that even though she respected their decision not to push Clark a grade ahead, he seemed really bored in class already. Second grade is typically the year that kids learn to read, and Clark could read at a sixth grade level already!

Mrs. Minor suggested that he take some upper-level fifth or sixth grade English and Math classes. She also knew of the perfect high school student to tutor him! He would come right to the elementary school after the high school got out, and Clark would spent the last hour of the day with him; the tutor would decide how advanced their studies would be, based on Clark's progress.

The high school student would get extra-curricular credit for tutoring Clark – it was a "win-win" situation.

After some thought, Martha and Jonathan agreed to the tutor. He was a junior, and he had recently moved to Smallville from Metropolis. They were assured that he was of the highest caliber; he would probably be the valedictorian of the Smallville High Class of 1975 when he graduated the following year.

His name, of course, was Alexander "Lex" Luthor.

And so a friendship was born of two men from backgrounds amazingly different. Lex was from an affluent family, raised for the most part in the big city; Clark, not of this earth, was raised as a country boy, with strong values, and modest means.

Clark was only seven when he met Lex, who was fifteen. Even though there was an eight-year age difference, somehow, the two clicked right away. Clark was the younger sibling Lex never had, and vice-versa. Lex started giving Clark a ride home after their session was over, with Martha's blessing. Lex was wonderful – smart, from a good family, friendly, sensitive – she even had her homemade apple pie ready at 3:30 p.m. each afternoon for the two of them to enjoy.

Lex was amazed at Clark's potential. He was reading sixth-grade level books and his math skills were off the chart. He had to admit that, if they were in the same grade, Clark could give him a run for the money for the title of valedictorian – it didn't even seem like he had to work at good grades, he just seemed to absorb everything taught him the very first time!

Jonathan and Martha even asked Lex to baby-sit several times. There were few people they trusted that implicitly, especially when there was always a possibility that a new ability would surface when they weren't there. As much as they loved Lex, they didn't want to have to share Clark's origins with him or anyone else for that matter. Jonathan still had Trask looming large in his mind.

One day after school, Lex brought little Clark home to meet his Aunt Lena. Lex's aunt was his mother's sister, and the two women couldn't be more different. Lena Lovell was a widow; her husband had died in the Korean War. They had only been married a short time when he was killed in action. Swearing that there was only one true love for each person, she never remarried – never even looked twice at another man.

Lex would come to visit Lena on her farm in Smallville every summer, and every year, he would beg his folks to let him stay there. Something about the fresh country air, the genuine townsfolk – and also, the fact that no one in Smallville seemed to know, or care, that his family was wealthy – it was all wonderful to him. The friends he made in the summer liked him for his personality – not his money. He didn't want to go to prep school in Metropolis with a bunch of snobby rich kids.

Finally, Lena stepped in and told his mother, her sister, that all her and her husband were doing was raising a clone of themselves – is that what they wanted? Sometimes, she told her, you have to stop and really smell the roses – and there wasn't much green in Metropolis except what you deposit in the Metropolis Bank & Trust!

The two sisters fought bitterly about that. Finally Lex said that if he couldn’t transfer to Smallville High School, he would quit school as soon as he turned sixteen! Finally saner minds prevailed; his parents finally saw how miserable he was in Metropolis.

The day that Lex changed his permanent address to his aunt's in Smallville, his parents told him that now he would just grow up to be a "Hick from Smallville". Lex thought, well at least he'd be a hick with a high school diploma! In addition, he would have to pay for his own college tuition, so he figured that he'd better get stellar grades as well so he could be awarded scholarship money.

June, 1974

Another school year was over; Clark was headed for the third grade and Lex would be a senior at Smallville High School. It had been an interesting year. Clark was now reading at a seventh grade level, and Lex was far and above the brightest student in his class. Unfortunately, Lex was still estranged from his parents, and thus his ties with his aunt and the Kents had strengthened. Jonathan and Martha had become his surrogate parents, and Lena visited them quite often as well.

The four of them were seated in the Kent's homey, apple-pie smelling kitchen discussing how Lex should handle the situation with his folks. Clark, now 8 years old, was out in the yard playing with Pete and Lana. He told Lex that when they were all talking "grown-up stuff", it was too boring to stay and listen.

Lena looked over at Lex, and said, "I think you should call them, Lex. Be the bigger person. My sister is just going along with your father – her husband – she's so used to being a society wife and all, she wants to be able to go to a dinner party and brag about how her son went to a prestigious prep school. She is so materialistic; she can't understand why you'd want to go to school here in Smallville with the all the other farm boys! But, she *is* your mother. If something should happen, you'll feel terrible you broke off your ties with them."

Lex looked down at the table. "I know, Aunt Lena, but I'm the kid and they're the adults – why can't they want what *I* want? That rich society life is not for everyone. I just can't stand phony people – and their whole world is made up of going to parties, getting dressed to the nines, making small talk with shallow people. I just can't stomach it. It's not who I am – not who I *want* to be, either."

Martha smiled. "Lex, you would make *any* mother proud. You have a way of looking past the glitter and seeing what's really important. I would be thrilled to have a son like you."

"Thank you, Mrs. Kent," Lex said, standing up. "I'm going outside to see what your son and his friends are doing. The apple pie was terrific as usual."

"You're welcome, Lex. You're like a big brother to Clark and a son to me, you know. We love you very much."

After Lex left the room, Martha added, "Lena, please don't take offense, but I think your sister and her husband are just what Lex says they are – phony society snobs who care more about appearances than their own son!"

Lena smiled. "Well, Martha, you're right – but she *is* my sister, and blood is thicker than water. I live in Smallville for all the reasons that Lex likes living here. Kansas offers fresh air, solid, salt of the earth, reliable townsfolk, and virtually no crime. I couldn't live in Metropolis now if my life depended on it, after living here."

Jonathan piped up, "Lena, what's Lex's father – your brother-in-law- like?"

"Ah, yes - Lenny Luthor – the philanthropist apparent – with his own hidden agenda, I'm sure. He made his fortune in the pharmaceutical business, managing to get new drugs approved by the FDA faster than anyone else out there. Somehow he was able to conduct statistical studies very quickly that always seemed to turn out favorable – getting government's blessing right away, beating other companies still conducting tests on similar products. Some of the drugs were experimental in nature and ended up being taken off the market. Nonetheless, he's a highly driven, somewhat sarcastic man, and my sister Lola loves the lifestyle he provides to her. Quite frankly, with all the money he's amassed, I wouldn't be surprised if he had ties to organized crime. I can't prove it, though, and I would *never* tell Lex that. He has such a pure heart; it's really hard to believe that he's Lenny's son."

"Wow. Maybe Lex is *right* to distance himself from them, Lena. I wouldn't want to see Lex cross over to the dark side. That would break my heart," commented Martha.

"I suppose, Martha. But good, bad, or evil, you only have one set of parents."

"And they only have one son," Jonathan remarked. "It's going to be their loss in the end. I have no doubt that Lex will get a fantastic scholarship to the best school with his fabulous grades."

The looked out the window and saw that Lex had organized a baseball game with the neighborhood kids.

Lex was the pitcher; he threw one to Clark who hit it solidly with the bat. The ball was airborne and they quickly lost sight of it.

"Holy cow, Clark – how the heck did you do *that*?" exclaimed Lex. "Wow – you're a brain and a great baseball player too!"

Clark was embarrassed and was afraid his parents would be mad at him. He just couldn't help it – the ball was *right* there and he was sick of holding back all the time!

"Lex, it was just a lucky hit, that's all," he pleaded. "Please don't tell my Mom and Dad, okay?"

Lex shook his head, not understanding why Clark would think his folks would be mad at him. "Sure, Clark, if that's what you want."

Lana and Pete were giggling together. Clark looked over at them, and Lex could swear he saw jealousy etched on his young face.

"Hey, you two, what's so funny anyway?" Clark asked them.

"Nothing, Clark – we're just being silly," Lana told him. Clark wasn't old enough to realize that Lana was just trying to make him jealous, because she had a *huge* crush on him!

In about seven more years, Clark's super hearing would develop and he would know exactly what people were saying about him behind his back. In some ways it would be a blessing; in other ways, quite the curse!

June, 1975 – Graduation Day at Smallville High School

Valedictorian Lex Luthor was called to the podium by the Principal of Smallville High School. "It gives me great pleasure to introduce the Valedictorian of the Smallville High Class of 1975, Alexander Luthor. Alexander transferred to Smallville High School from the great city of Metropolis in his sophomore year. Believe me when I say, Metropolis' loss was definitely Smallville's gain. I give you – Alexander "Lex" Luthor!"

Martha, Jonathan, Lena, Clark, Lana, and Pete were sitting together on lawnchairs set up in the field outside of Smallville High where the ceremony was being held. They were all beaming from ear to ear, so proud they were of their Metropolis transplant that they call son, and friend, respectively!

Lena looked around and spotted Lenny and Lola Luthor standing in the back. Shocked, she waved to her sister to get her attention; alas, she didn't see her and Lex was starting his speech.

Faculty of Smallville High School, members of the Board of Education, fellow students, and friends and family of the graduating class of 1975:

Today, we are proud to have completed one journey and be on our way toward another. There is much change coming in the world; technology has vastly improved, with the advent of computers and communication satellites. Man has landed on the moon; space, as they say, is the next frontier.

Our generation will find answers to questions we couldn't even fathom to ask yet; we will find cures to diseases that currently baffle doctors and scientists; we will stop tyrannical leaders and despots from taking over the world; we will do all of this because we are *Americans* and this is what we do!

At that, there was heard thunderous applause from the audience.

I look forward to the day when the terms "UFO" and "alien" no longer instill fear in the hearts of the residents of planet Earth. When I look at the stars at night, I am in awe realizing that each of the pinpoints of light that I see may represent life in some form. There may be advanced civilizations out there that we can learn from. And, they may be able to learn from us as well.

I have been both a student and a teacher in the last several years. I had the pleasure of tutoring a student who is now nine years old who reads at a middle school level. Looking at life through his young eyes has made me a better person. His name is Clark Kent and he is here today with his wonderful parents, Martha and Jonathan Kent. Folks – stand up and take a bow.

Jonathan, Martha, and Clark stood up, somewhat embarrassed, gave the crowd a gentle wave, and then quickly sat down again.

And the person who has been a beacon of light to me for the last several years – my Aunt Lena; my Smallville inspiration who taught me the value of clean air, working hard physically as well as mentally, and how to spot a phony in ten seconds flat! Lena Lovell, my aunt – please stand up.

Lena quickly stood up, waved, and, mortified, sat back down in her seat .

Fellow students, I will leave you with this thought: Whatever your grades were, whatever your career aspirations may be, you are on this earth to make a difference. Make no mistake that *one person* can truly make or break someone else's day. Please be the person that *makes* someone's day; you'll live longer and be a happier person for it. Thank you, and good luck to my fellow graduates.

The applause lingered longer than it had for any of the other speakers. Just as Lex was heading back to his seat on the stage, he spotted his parents out of the corner of his eye. Smiling broadly, he realized that even if they were worlds apart as human beings, they were his parents, and he *did* love them.

TBC

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"