Chapter 10
Individual Responsibility

Lois concentrated on the screen in front of her. It had been a slow newsday and Perry had assigned her one of those silly mood pieces she hated. Right now, she wasn't too enthusiastic with either the story or her editor. Was this the way it was going to be when they told Perry she was pregnant? Would she be pulled off the bigger investigations just because of her condition? Of course, this might not happen right away, but later... it was one of the things that Lois dreaded!

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Clark stand. Lois hoped it wasn't another call for Superman since Metropolis and the world had been keeping the superhero pretty busy these past few days and he was starting to look strained. She'd realised lately that she was more aware of his presence than before, even when she was supposed to be working. She was just about to acknowledge that with a wry grin, when Clark collapsed. She was on her feet in a split second.

"Clark!" She dropped to the floor by his side, struggling to get his head onto her bent knees.

He looked up at her with pain filled eyes. He looked horrible. He was queasy, perspiring badly, and starting to shake. "Bad day," he said softly.

"Very bad day," she replied through her tears -- it seemed she was very weepy where Clark was concerned these days too.

Clark lifted his hand to his nose just as it started to bleed, but Lois quickly moved the hand away, pushing his glasses aside, to pinch the bridge with her fingers. It was a risk, she knew, but she doubted anyone would connect Clark with Superman, not with the way he looked at the moment. Several people had gathered to watch the show, but it was Jimmy who knelt to offer his assistance.

"Let me help you up, CK."

"Just…" Clark's body convulsed, attempting to expel the blood which was draining down his throat, but he fought desperately to stop it. Lois recognized his body's reaction and pulled him over to his side.

"Let it out."

"I don't… want to…" He spasmed again. "… throw up on… the floor."

"It can be cleaned up," Lois told him calmly, holding her worries at bay in an attempt to steady Clark's nerves, but he shook his head defiantly.

"Here, use this." Jimmy had grabbed the top off a box of copy paper, of all things, and thrust it into Lois' hand.

Clark must have thought the cardboard lid was acceptable, because he didn't resist the urge to throw up any longer when Lois thrust it under his cheek. She held his head while he heaved painfully, and when he was done, wiped his face with some tissues Jimmy had given her.

"Feel like getting up, now?" she asked gently.

Clark fell onto his back, struggling to catch his breath. "Yeah," he answered after a minute, yet he shook uncontrollably as Jimmy helped him sit up. Instantly, another, stronger hand was there at his side.

Perry had come into the newsroom to see what the commotion was, and now he leaned down to help Clark get to his feet. "Come on, son. You can rest for a bit in my office."

Clark didn't protest as he was led to the sofa in the editor's inner sanctum. In fact, he was thoroughly relieved when they lowered him onto its worn leather cushions. Obviously, Lois had followed because she immediately produced a cloth, pressing it to his nose to help stop the bleeding.

"Get him some water, Jimmy," she threw over her shoulder at her younger colleague.

"Right."

Quickly, Jimmy did as he was asked, almost rivalling Clark's ability to superspeed. Meanwhile, Clark's shaking had improved and his nose had almost stopped bleeding by the time Lois lifted his head to put the glass to his lips.

"Drink," she commanded, but her voice was kind.

He took in several gulps, not realizing how thirsty he was, then he gently pushed her hand away. "Enough. I don't want to be sick again." His voice sounded faint even to his own ears.

"Okay." Lois held out the glass to Jimmy, who took it and disappeared through the door.

Once more, Clark held his fingers to his nose, afraid that it would suddenly start to gush again. Behind him he heard Perry yell for everyone to get back to work. Slowly he lifted his eyes to see Lois' worried face and whispered apologetically in the same strained voice, "You probably get tired of wiping my face after I get sick."

Lois smiled through fresh tears as she held the cloth to his nose again. "Here, let me. Actually, I get more tired of doing all your work," she teased.

Clark managed a smile and allowed her to finish cleaning the blood from his face before he fell back against the cushions. "I think I need to take a couple days off."

"I agree," Perry told him as he came back in the room. "I'll even let Lois take them with you so she can be there if you get sick like this again."

"You don't have to do that, Chief. I usually feel better after I sleep a little."

"Hush up now. I'm still your boss and I'm ordering you and Lois to get out of here. I don't want to see either of you before Monday."

Clark nodded, too tired to protest. Sometime later, when he'd gained some strength, he and Lois left.

Home had never seemed so welcoming to Clark as, with Lois' help, he shuffled down his stairs into the living room. Clark loosened his tie and collapsed on the sofa, surprised when he felt Lois reach down to remove his shoes. "You don't have to do that."

"I know." She dropped the first shoe to the floor, carefully placed his foot on the coffee table, and lifted the other foot. She took off this shoe, setting his foot along side the other one. "Lean up." Clark sat up a little so she could help him out of his jacket. "You got blood on this jacket. I'll take it to the cleaners, along with your shirt." She'd moved on to pulling his tie off, then began unbuttoning his shirt.

Clark stilled her hands between his own, causing her eyes to meet his. "I'm sorry about all this. You don't deserve this."

"No, Clark, stop apologizing!" She sat down beside him. "I knew what I was doing when I agreed to this. It's my job to take care of you."

Clark squeezed her hands. "Lois…"

She pulled her hands from his and resumed her task. "And I really don't mind! But… I'm not going to lose you this time," she said encouragingly, yet she blew out an exasperated breath when she saw he was wearing the suit. "Clark, you can't possibly be super today."

"I didn't feel this bad this morning."

Lois looked at him a moment. "I guess maybe this is my fault."

"What do you mean? My being sick is not your fault."

"I didn't help though. I was there when Dr. Klein said stress could make you sicker." The doctor had told them that several times, so surely all the tension they'd been through since they'd married hadn't helped matters. Her voice was small when she spoke again. "I was so wrapped up in my own concerns, I sorta forgot that.... I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, Lois."

"It is now," she replied, her chin firm with determination as she pushed his shirt off his shoulders. "Clark, I promise to do everything I can to make sure you stay healthy. We've come much too far to lose you too soon."

At that thought, tears threatened her once again and she concentrated on making him comfortable to stem the tide. She pulled him forward and unzipped his suit, tugging it down to his waist. "We have to get you out of this tight spandex," she declared. "It's making you too hot!" Tending to Clark helped steady her nerves and she even managed to smile for him before she got up to go get him some more clothes to put on.

Ten minutes later he was easing down into her bed. Her bed? Changing into a set of sleep-shorts and T-shirt had made his head spin so much, he hadn't realised where they were going when she encouraged him to move -- just followed her instructions blindly. Clark shot her a questioning glance.

"There's no way you can make it up the stairs. You need to rest and this is more comfortable than the sofa." He relented and sunk onto the mattress, too tired to argue with her. Lois sat and pulled the cover up to his chin. "When you go to sleep, I'm going to straighten up a bit. But I'll stay here until then." She reached out to brush the sweat-dampened hair off his face.

"You don't have to do that. In fact, you could go back to work, if you wanted to."

"And have Perry throw me out of the newsroom?" Lois said with mock indignation.

"Lois, he wouldn't!"

"I know, but I'm staying here." She smoothed his hair back again. "Close your eyes and rest." Clark gave in to his exhaustion as she continued to rub his head.

The day had faded into the softer hues of evening before Clark awoke to sounds of Lois in the kitchen. As he pushed up from the bed for a much needed shower, he couldn't help but hope she wasn't trying to cook. Poor Lois. Would she ever get a break when it came to culinary skills?

"Hi," Lois told him when he stepped into the kitchen a little while later, fresh from his shower and wearing a clean pair of sweats.

"Hi." He lifted the top off a pot on the stove. "Smells good."

"More of your mom's instructions. It's homemade spaghetti sauce."

Clark dipped a finger into the red mixture, then stuck it in his mouth. "Wow. I'm impressed."

"Good. But you better be careful what you do with hot pans in the future." She patted his chest in a salutory gesture. "You might have been burned!"

Clark had the grace to look sheepish. "Sorry! I keep forgetting!"

"No matter. I'm just glad you're feeling better and I hope you're hungry, too."

"I am." He sat down as Lois filled a plate for him. He ate nearly half of his dinner before he stopped to take a breath. "Sorry. Guess I was a little hungrier than I thought."

"You've been asleep for over nine hours."

"Really? Seems like ten minutes. I'm still tired."

"After you eat, you can go back to bed."

He nodded and shoved another fork full of spaghetti into his mouth. "I, ah, I noticed there was a notepad beside the bed. Did you call Dr. Klein?"

Lois came back over and sat down in front of him. "I wanted to know some of the things we could be facing, so I'll know how to take care of you."

"Lois, you don't have to take care of me. I'm not an invalid."

"I know that. Clark, I just want to be here with you and for you. It's a known fact that people who are happy fare better during an illness."

Clark couldn't resist the opportunity to tease her a bit. "Who said I'd be happy if you took care of me?" He smiled to let her know he was kidding.

Lois laughed softly as she reached for his hand. "You getting sick suddenly like that scared me... really scared me." She felt as if she didn't admit that, she'd burst. All afternoon, she'd fought those feelings, telling herself she'd imagined it. Everything was fine now. She was pregnant and soon Clark would be on the road to recovery. But none of that was true. Today had taught her that there was a long way to go before he was out of danger. She *was* afraid for him and Clark should know that.

That statement surprised him. From the look on her face, it surprised her as well. He hated that she felt this way because of him but, at the same time, it made him wonder just how deeply her feelings were starting to run for him. His head snapped up at a call for help.

Lois recognized the look and, for a moment, she thought to protest he wasn't fit enough to be Superman. Yet she knew how important it was for him to answer calls for help when he could -- it made up a little for the time when he would have to retire the superhero. Besides, she trusted him to know his own limitations, so uncharacteristically, she gave him a nod of agreement.

"Sorry." He jumped up and ran into the other room, returning to the table when he was dressed in his suit. "I'll hurry and I'll be careful," he said, grateful for her forbearance. He smiled, then disappeared.

Lois folded her arms on the table-top, lowered her head to rest on them and cried softly. She didn't understand the motivation behind the confession of her fears. In fact, she hadn't realised she felt so strongly until today. But she was terrified for Clark. Did that mean she was starting to have deeper feelings for him than friendship? And would it be so bad if she did? He was her husband after all. She was supposed to have feelings for him. If only she wasn't so confused about everything.

Clark carried a stack of Lois' clothes from the dryer to hang them in the closet. He'd taken a long weekend off to rest and had spent most of the time sleeping, either in bed or lying on the couch. Between his naps, however, he and Lois had managed to find time to talk. Almost subconsciously, both had agreed not to delve into the complexities of their relationship, but to relax and just enjoy getting to know each other's likes and dislikes. He had to admit, he felt a lot better now -- physically and mentally -- and he didn't think it was too much of a stretch to believe that Lois did too.

But their addiction to the Daily Planet had called, so they'd returned to work first thing Monday, just in time for Perry's weekly staff meeting. Everyone was pleased to see him looking in good health again and, within no time, he and Lois had settled into the routine of the newsroom, catching up on emails, checking research and wrapping up some older articles. Perhaps it was not the most exciting aspects of a journalist's job but, at this point in his life, Clark was happy even with the mundane tasks.

Around mid-afternoon, having gotten a modest lead on a new story, Lois went off to follow up information from one of their most reliable sources, while Clark had been voted to come home to do the wash and start dinner -- after his routine examination with Bernie at Star Labs, of course.

Clark had hung the last shirt in the closet and closed the door, when he turned to see Lois coming down the steps. "Hey."

"Hi." She kicked her shoes off and threw her jacket over the chair. "I'm worn out. I must have walked a hundred miles today." She reached for the cream soda Clark had retrieved for her. "Thanks." She took a long sip.

"Did anything pan out?" His eyes were warm and sympathetic as he watched her drop into the easy chair.

"No, it was a wasted trip." Lois blew imaginary bangs back from her forehead. "Bobby Bigmouth better do his homework better in future. You think he'd be more interested in 'food hygiene standards'! How about you? Did you get anywhere on your end?

"Not so far. I must have been put on hold a half-dozen times this afternoon. We'll go at it from a different angle tomorrow. Maybe go visit a couple of those fancy restauranteurs who weren't in the mood to talk today. We might even persuade Perry to bankroll some sampling." Clark's eyes sparkled teasingly.

"Okay." Lois replied with a big grin. "But don't tell Bobby! He'll want to come along."

"You got that right! Bobby would never turn down the chance of a good meal! I'm afraid dinner tonight won't be too fancy, though." Clark laughed with her as he opened the refrigerator to take out the makings for a couple sandwiches. "How about a sandwich to go with our soup… and a movie? I picked up a couple of videos at the store on my way home."

"Sure, sounds good." Lois nodded and pointed in the direction of the bathroom. "I'm gonna go take a quick shower first."

"Okay." Clark continued his task as Lois left the room. Twenty minutes later they were laughing at the comedy they'd chosen.

Their simple dinner had been finished and the trays carried back to the table. Now they were both stretched on the couch, their feet propped on the coffee table.

Lois looked around and watched Clark for a moment. "How did your check-up go today?"

"It was okay. Bernie didn't notice any significant changes."

"So your last nose-bleed wasn't the result of any deterioration?" She held her breath while she waited for the answer.

"No... he thinks I probably just overdid things...."

"Clark! You really should be taking things easier. Maybe we should talk to Perry... ask if you can work part-time or something!"

"I don't want to be treated like I'm an invalid... not yet, anyway...." his words trailed off as despondency threatened. "I just want everything to be as normal as possible."

Lois could understand very well where he was coming from. She'd been having those same anxieties -- of having to sit on the sidelines while others did the exciting work -- albeit for very different reasons.

"Look, Lois, Bernie already read me the riot act. If I promise to take better care of my body, do you think you could stop treating me like you're scared I'm going to die at any minute?"

"I haven't...." But at Clark's raised eyebrows, Lois blushed. She had been watching him very closely since his collapse in the newsroom. "Well, okay, maybe just a little, but it's only because I'm concerned...."

"I know, Lois, and it's nice, in a way... but you really don't need to babysit me. I've learnt my lesson and I'm fine... really... fit as a fiddle!" Clark allowed himself to float off the couch and performed a perfect sommersault in the air, then settled back beside his partner, grinning like the proverbial cheshire cat. "See!"

"Show off!" She giggled. His return to a lighter mood was infectious. "I told you I was good for you."

He glanced at her and smiled. "Yes, you are!"

"Watch the movie, Clark!" Lois ordered, but the corners of her mouth were twitching.

He focused on the movie again, but his eyes drifted to his lap when Lois placed her hand over his. He felt a surge of emotion well within him. After all the uncomfortable weeks they'd spent arguing, it meant the world to him that she felt relaxed enough to sit cosily by his side and take his hand. Clark decided to take a chance. "I've been meaning to ask if you'd like to go to Smallville with me again this weekend. Mom's been asking me to bring you for another visit."

"Sure, I'd like that. Can we go skinny dipping in the pond?"

He started and snapped round to face her again, looking a lot like a petrified rabbit caught in the headlights. "Have you and Mom been talking about me again?"

Lois laughed happily as she remembered certain conversations with her mother-in-law. "She said you just couldn't resist stripping and jumping in that pond."

Deciding there was little he could do to stop these exchanges of confidences between the two, Clark gave a little grin and rested his head on his arm where it lay on the sofa back. "Geesh, I haven't done that in years. I remember when I was a kid, though, I don't know what it was about that pond but I loved to go skinny dipping in it. It started when I was two."

"Seems like a good habit to resurrect, and in that case, I can't wait to get to Smallville!" Lois nudged his shoulder teasingly.

"Lois!" This time, Clark joined in her merriment and threw caution to the wind. "You know, that works both ways. If you get to see me naked, I get to see you naked."

"You're on, flyboy."

Clark laughed even louder, though he did blush a little, not knowing whether it was from embarrassment or the thought of seeing Lois like that. After a moment, he and Lois simultaneously flopped back against the sofa, Clark staring up at the ceiling, his eyes suddenly serious again. "I wanted to thank you for staying with me this weekend. I know it wasn't much fun… with me being sick and all."

This time Lois grasped his hand in hers. "You don't have to thank me."

"I know." He turned his head and smiled at her. "Watch the movie, Lois!"

She stared at him a moment before smiling back, then turned once again to concentrate on the TV screen. One day at time, she thought. One day at a time she was learning what it was she'd gotten herself into, and at times like this, it wasn't at all bad!

"Clark?"

He looked up from his work to see Lois standing beside his desk. "Yeah?"

"We need to go."

"Where?"

"Second prenatal visit is today."

Clark lifted his hand to smack his forehead. "Oh, God, Lois. I completely forgot."

"Don't tell me you can't make it."

"No, no. Just let me close this program." He hit a few keys on his computer and pushed up beside her. "Ready?"

"Yep." She smiled and they left to go check on their little visitor.

Clark wasn't quite as nervous as at the first visit, since he knew Lois wouldn't have to get undressed this time. Somehow the idea of that still had the power to send him into a tailspin. As it was, Doctor Lewis came into the examination room to find the couple laughing cheerfully.

"Glad to see you're so happy, kids," she said with a welcoming grin. "Nothing like a contented mom to keep the pregnancy healthy!"

Lois flushed, aware that that wasn't always the case, but she wasn't prepared to give this 'bloodhound' the slightest inkling that all was not as it seemed. "Hi, Doc Lewis. Clark was just telling me a story about when he was a boy."

"I'll bet you were a handful." The older woman glanced over at 'Daddy' while she prepared for the examination, taking in his broad shoulders and handsome face appreciatively. He really was a good- looking boy and she especially liked his expressive eyes; 'windows of the soul' poets said they were, and in this young man's case they might be right. Lois had got herself a good one here.

"Actually, Doc Lewis, Clark is the last Boy Scout left and he was a perfect kid, too." Lois placed her hand on his chest.

"Oh-oh!" the doctor speculated, "Now, if I remember correctly, Lois doesn't give praise lightly. You must be something special, Clark."

Actually, the doctor didn't know how close to the truth that was and Clark heard himself mumbling as the heat rose to his cheeks. "Well, I don't know about that!"

"Don't let him fool you. He's okay." Lois jumped in with a twinkle in her eyes. She had no idea where she'd gotten the nerve to tease him like this... and in public too, but she chose not to give it much thought. Things had been going so well between them the last few weeks, she wasn't about to spoil it by questioning her motives.

He beamed brightly at Lois' words before turning his attention back to what the doctor was doing. Dr. Lewis went through the ritual of checking all Lois' vitals, then instructed her to lift her blouse so they could listen for the baby's heartbeat.

A few moments later, the steady rhythm of a healthy heart filled the room.

"Is that it?" Clark asked as his eyes lit up.

"That's it. Sounds great, doesn't it? I might be a jaded, overworked old doctor, but that sound never fails to amaze me!"

"Oh wow!" Clark was mesmerized by the sound he'd help create. He was tempted to use his x-ray vision to take a peak and see what their miracle looked like now. Surely pictures in books couldn't possibly compare with the real thing. Yet he refrained from invading Lois' privacy like that until after he asked her if it would be okay.

"Should it be that fast?" Lois asked.

"Sure. A baby's heart beats faster than yours," Doc Lewis reassured the worried looking Mom.

"Don't you remember, Lois? We read about this in the book the other night."

"Oh yeah. I guess reading about something is a little different from the real thing." Her voice was slightly apologetic but faint, as if Lois couldn't quite believe what she'd heard.

"Just a little," Clark grinned and grasped her hand gently.

"Trust me, Lois, everything looks great." The busy doctor wound up the appointment -- she had another patient due. Was there a baby boom in Metropolis at the moment? "I'll see you kids in four weeks."

Clark almost fell over himself to grab a towel to help clean Lois' stomach. He wasn't sure why he was suddenly so bold, but he just couldn't resist the opportunity to touch that incredible expanse of skin.

It was all Lois could do to keep from laughing at his enthusiasm, even though she was having a rush of new emotions again. Before today, this baby hadn't been real. It was more of a thought. But this… this made it… unbelievable and she wasn't sure how she felt about it.

She watched Clark a moment, allowing him to clean her stomach. But she had to close her eyes a moment later. Who would have guessed getting your stomach cleaned could be so....

<Where had *that* thought come from?!> Lois mused.

<Erotic!> That was the only way Clark could describe the sensations he was experiencing. He stopped when her stomach was clean and gazed at her. Slowly his hand came to rest on her skin.

"Clark, what's wrong?" Lois had immediately thought to protest when his hand touched her, but the look on his face was one she wasn't sure of. Was something the matter?

Clark didn't answer. He let his hand stroke ever so softly over her belly, so engrossed in the feel of her warmth.

"Lois?"

"Yeah?"

He remained quiet and she wondered what was running through his mind, but before she could ask him, his head jerked up in a familiar gesture.

"Go!" Lois was relieved for the distraction. Clark's hand on her skin had been too much.

"No. I told you I'd come with you to all your visits."

"Clark, we're done. Go."

He gazed at her once more. "You sure?"

"I'm sure."

Clark took one last look at his hand resting on her stomach before he reached to pull Lois' blouse back down. He shot her a quick smile and was gone.

Lois finished dressing quickly and went back to work, her mind a jumbled haze of contradictions. How was it one person could have so many mixed feelings about something? One minute she was sure this baby had been what she'd wanted -- the next she was scared to death. Most of the time, she was simply overwhelmed by it all. She had to admit that she really hadn't thought through the realities of what would be involved in this. Have a baby, save Clark's life. Sounded simple enough.

<Yeah, right!>

And Clark. What was up with him? She understood his enthusiasm which had triggered his burst of boldness. He was thrilled about the baby. It only took one look to know just what he felt about this child. It was that last expression she hadn't understood. She'd just have to ask him later what he had been about to say, or maybe not.... Maybe it would be better not to open that particular 'Pandora's Box'!

Clark didn't return to the newsroom that day, causing Lois a fair amount of anxiety. She'd checked the news reports, but other than that one rescue which had called him away, there hadn't been any other Superman sightings. Much later, Lois found him sitting on the window seat in her bedroom, holding his shirt in his hands and staring at the floor.

"Clark?" He didn't look up so she went to his side. "Clark, what's wrong?"

"He died," Clark told Lois, his voice so low and flat she had to strain to listen.

"Who died?"

"A boy today… at the fire."

"Not even Superman can be everywhere and do everything."

"I know." He sighed heavily and pulled his shirt up to rub it across his face. "It just really hurts."

"I know." Lois echoed his first words, while her hand massaged the taught muscles in his back. "Do you need to… brush my hair?"

That seemed to cut through Clark's depression. He looked over at her with a sad smile. "How about a bowl of soup and… you let me look at the baby?"

"What?"

"I want to see the baby. Kind of reassure myself he or she is okay."

"Clark, there's nothing wrong with the baby." She withdrew her hand and reached for his shirt.

"I know… I just…" He released the shirt he'd been holding on to reluctantly, allowing Lois to help him pull it over his head. By her silence, he guessed she wasn't too happy about his suggestion. "It's okay, Lois... it was just an idea."

She stopped to search his face, though that wasn't too easy as his head drooped dejectedly. His whole demeanor was one of sadness. She hated to deny him this, but she would feel.… Well, she wasn't sure what she'd feel if he looked at the baby. Was that action a little too intimate for her? He'd be probing into her body. This may be his baby... but it was her body.

"Maybe I would like to brush your hair," Clark finally said with a hint of resignation. He needed some form of security right now and, if brushing Lois' hair was the only way to get it, he'd have to be happy with that.

"Clark, I'm sorry. I just…"

He smiled and reached out to squeeze her hand. "Don't be." He stood and tugged on her hand. "You go shower and I'll make us something to eat."

She wanted to say more, but what could she say? Even she wasn't sure how she felt... and she certainly couldn't explain it to him. Lois made her way into the bathroom for her shower. She guessed this was another of her struggles to hold on to her last bit of independence.

Clark sighed as he watched her go. He would love to be able to see that their baby was okay for himself. What Lois had against the idea of him taking a quick peek, he wasn't quite sure, but he wasn't about to violate her trust in him. It had taken so long for them to get to this level of companionship. If they reverted to the earlier state of hostility now, he didn't know if he'd have the strength to make it.

Lois' emotions were on one big rollercoaster ride. There were days when she thought she knew exactly what she wanted and how she felt. Other days, she was so confused and scared she could hardly breathe. Her thoughts of Clark and the baby churned around in her brain until she felt she was drowning in a quagmire of ambivalence. She was completely committed to having their baby and saving Clark's life, that hadn't changed, but she hadn't expected to *feel* so much when the situation became a reality. Occasionally, her changing attitude toward Clark shocked her into meltdown.

A few mornings later as they drove into work, she and Clark had another disagreement, though somewhat milder on the 'Richter' scale. He thought it was time to tell people she was expecting. He'd argued that with her slight frame, she'd start to show soon and he would rather tell everyone before having to field inquisitive questions from their colleagues. He believed strongly that Perry and Jimmy ought to be told, at least.

Lois was so on edge that she'd almost reminded him this wasn't a conventional pregnancy and she wasn't exactly thrilled about it. He fussed over her health constantly, harping for her to be more careful -- strictures that Lois wasn't at all comfortable with.

Then there was her weird cravings -- she'd heard of those, but had had difficulty in believing their authenticity -- yet they were real enough -- mood swings too! And that damn morning sickness! No, this whole 'having a baby' thing was no picnic and she wasn't ready to tell folks and have them drown her in well wishes. But, she couldn't bring herself to mention all this to Clark. He was so happy and proud about the pregnancy! It would hurt his feelings considerably and that was something she realized she didn't want to do.

But Clark had been so stubborn, had chosen to force the issue by asking just when she planned to tell everyone. When she went into labor? As always, Lois hated to be coerced. After all, it wasn't as if this *had* to be done now. She still had a while yet. She was only twelve weeks along, for goodness sakes!

Now, sitting at her desk in the newsroom, she glanced down at her stomach. A casual observer would never know Lois was pregnant, but even she couldn't deny the small bulge that was starting to make its presence known, and not everyone at work was a 'casual observer'. Take Cat with her eagle eye and her nose for gossip, not to mention, sneaky Ralph who was always hovering around with his sleazy innuendos! She growled in frustration. Once again, Clark was right; amazingly that admission didn't bother her so much as it once had. It wouldn't be long before everyone noticed. She'd much rather tell them. So, why did she feel like some kind of classified ad?

Lois made it home long before Clark that night. On the way to the apartment he'd answered a call for Superman, and it was nearly ten o'clock before he stumbled through the balcony door. Lois looked up from the computer where she'd been checking methodically through 'dead' story files, anything to keep her from imagining what was happening to her superhero, and audibly gasped at the sight before her.

"Clark!" He was white as a ghost and could barely stand. She got to her feet and hurried to his side. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing! I'm just really tired," he told her baldly, his voice heavy. A robbery and six car accidents had left him feeling as if he'd fall from exhaustion. He made it as far as the bed before collapsing. "Sorry," he muttered in apology for taking Lois' bed.

Lois reached down and lifted one of his feet to help him pull off his boots. Clark looked up to protest.

"Lois, just give me a few minutes and I'll manage that myself."

"Yeah, right!" She wrestled with first one boot, then the other. Clark tried to sit up to assist her, but couldn't stay upright for long. He fell back and allowed her to take over. When his footwear was removed, she pulled him up to tackle the cape. "How does this thing come off?" she asked in frustration. When she'd helped him undress a few weeks ago, the cape was nowhere to be seen. At the time, she'd wanted to ask where it had disappeared to, but Clark had been too sick to field her curious questions. He wasn't much better now, so her curiosity would still have to wait.

"You have to take off the top of the suit first. The cape hooks around my shoulders."

"Really?"

He nodded as he struggled to sit up again. "Zipper's hidden…"

"Yes, I remember... found it." A second later, Lois was peeling the Suit from Clark's torso. "Cool," she said absently as she unhooked the cape.

"It's awkward and easier to wear like this -- Mom says it hangs better." He tried an attempt at humour but simply ended up in a coughing fit.

"Enough of the jokes for now, Kent!" Lois tried bravely to return the tease, but her lip trembled in something that wasn't a smile.

When she was done, Clark fell back again. "Just give me a second and I'll get up."

"Don't be ridiculous." She surveyed him, pondering, then reached to grasp the bottom of his suit. "Please tell me you have something on under this."

Clark managed a tiny chuckle. "Yeah. But you don't have to do that."

"Forget it," was all she said as she concentrated on tugging his suit down his legs, which wasn't an easy task. Even though he'd lost some bulk because of the illness, Clark still weighed more than he appeared. Bereft of the suit, he was wearing black briefs and nothing else. Immediately images of the day she'd taken time to really look at Clark with his shirt off came to mind. He looked good that day and just as good today.

<Can it, girl. He's sick.>

"Roll over," she instructed him.

"Huh?" He did as he was told, and Lois pulled the covers up over him. "Lois…" he protested slightly.

"Just hush and get some sleep. You couldn't make it up those stairs if you tried."

"Thank you." He was already half asleep.

She smoothed her hand along the side of his head before going back to her desk. Sinking down into the seat, she regarded him gravely. Superman had assured her he knew his limits and that he wouldn't over-reach himself. Yeah, right! Somehow it didn't seem that way to her. Tomorrow they'd have to talk about him cutting back or he was going to kill himself. But for tonight... tonight he just needed to rest and she was going to see that he did.

Lois tried to continue with her work, but it wasn't exactly riveting stuff and she kept glancing over at Clark. He hadn't moved a muscle since he'd gone to sleep. Obviously, he was worn out completely, and she felt a strange tugging at her heart. She'd suggested this whole pregnancy thing before she fully realized just how sick he was or how sick he was going to get, and seeing Clark in pain mattered -- it mattered more than she'd ever thought possible. With each passing day, she grew more determined to save his life.

The night hours advanced and she couldn't deny that she too was very tired. Pregnancy and all its symptoms tended to do that to a girl. She rose noiselessly to dress for bed, but when she returned from the bathroom in her nightgown, she was faced with a problem. Clark was asleep on her bed. She glanced up at the loft and decided she wasn't thrilled with the prospect of spending the night in that small room. Moreover, she couldn't keep a check on Clark from up there. What if he needed her? Of course, she could just grab a blanket and pillow and hit the couch.

Her gaze drifted to the empty side of her bed. Then again…

"Ah, what the heck," she mumbled before climbing into the bed next to Clark. "You *are* married to him for Christ's sake," she whispered fiercely. Besides, it wasn't as if anything was going to happen. She would simply stick to her side of the mattress and Clark was too exhausted to move. She could manage another night in the same bed.

She forced her eyes shut and turned her back to Clark, though she kept a check on his breathing, just in case he got into difficulties. The steadiness of the sound calmed her, the momentary awkwardness of the situation lifting quickly and she too was soon fast asleep.

Lois stirred drowsily the next morning with Clark spooned behind her. Slowly, she realized the reason she'd awakened so early was due to the male hand on her body caressing her stomach.

It felt... wonderful.

<I'm doing it again! When did I start thinking that way?!>

Clark sensed when she woke up, but regardless, he continued the motion he'd started with his hand, simply wanting to touch her and feel a connection to the baby. He didn't know when he began his simple exploration -- probably in that twilight place between sleeping and waking, but it was too good to stop. And surely Lois would object if she was uncomfortable with his actions. Instead, she arched herself back against him, eliciting a moan. That was too much, taking the touch way beyond that of a father on his child. Gently he rolled her over and held her gaze while his hand continued its tantalizing movement. He stopped just under her left breast, and they lay, staring at each other, breathing heavily.

Clark recovered first; his rapt expression replaced with one of dread.

"Clark?" Lois was afraid that he'd mistakenly thought she was angry. "It's okay!"

"It's not that! I just need to go to the bathroom. I feel like I'm going to be sick." He disappeared into the other room, leaving Lois to take a moment to recover before she could get up. She threw on her robe quickly and went to check on Clark.

"Clark?" she called again as she pushed through the door, worry evident in her strident tone.

He was wiping his face with the hand towel when she entered the room, and judging by the perspiration that stood out on his forehead, Lois could tell he didn't feel especially well. He was still incredibly pale and was shaking slightly.

"You've got to stop pushing yourself so hard.You promised me you wouldn't." Lois couldn't quite hide the note of censure in her voice, brought about by fear for his safety.

"Yeah." His answer was brief as he tried to make his way back toward the exit, stopping to grasp the door frame because of his weakness. "Maybe we should make another visit to Dr. Klein. I'm sure he must be sick of the sight of me by now."

"Okay, and you know that's not true. Bernie is just as concerned as the rest of us." She reached out to help him make it back into the bedroom so he could get dressed. "You stay here," she instructed him after he eased down onto the quilt and went to get them some clothes.

An hour later Bernie was shaking his head. "Clark, we've had this conversation before, and I can't stress enough how important it is for you to slow down now. Your powers are starting to drain and you're only exacerbating the problem by answering every call for help. I'm sure the MPD and emergency services can deal efficiently with the more routine call-outs."

"Yeah, I know," Clark said, his tone devoid of emotion. He didn't like to admit that he'd been ignoring the obvious.

"You know what... about the powers?" Lois asked incredulously.

"I noticed a couple days ago. It takes more effort to do things and I have a little sensitivity to touch sensation."

"You knew you were starting to lose your powers and you've been pushing yourself like someone possessed over the last few days?" Lois found her anger starting to rise... more so because he'd made her a pledge to be careful.

"Lois, my powers aren't gone yet. I have to help while I still can. The people expect me to be there for them."

She was about to say more, her anger getting the best of her, but Dr. Klein spoke up, championing Lois' cause. "Clark, go home and rest. That's an order. If you keep over-exerting yourself as you've obviously been doing, your twenty or so months will be cut in half, and excuse me for stating the obvious, but in the long term that's hardly going to be beneficial for the people of Metropolis who rely on Superman -- not to mention the people who love you. Is that what you want?"

"No."

"Slow down then," the doctor told him. "You are killing yourself faster than the disease."

Clark nodded and pulled his shirt back on. He noticed Lois didn't help this time. In fact he could tell she was mad. He just hoped she'd wait until he felt better to go through this with him.

They left Star Labs in silence, but when she pulled the Jeep to a stop outside the apartment, she didn't immediately move to get out.

"Why didn't you tell me?" she asked softly, but with an undercurrent of irritation.

Clark didn't even pretend he didn't know what she was talking about. "I knew you'd want me to slow down."

"Of course I want you to slow down. Is that so very wrong?" She turned to look at him. "You're making yourself ill. Can't you see this is hurting you more than anything? I trusted you when you said you'd take care."

"I know," Clark finally forced out with a deep breath. "Lois, I'm sorry. I should have told you."

"Yes, you should. Clark, I've been making an effort to be honest with you about everything. I know it's not quite in the same league, but when you asked me if gaining weight would be a problem, I told you the truth."

"And when I asked why you didn't want to tell people about the baby?" he reminded her so low that Lois had to strain to hear him.

"I owe you that one," she finally said after a moment.

Clark looked at her. "Lois, this baby means a lot to me. It doesn't matter that we're not… together. It doesn't matter that he or she was conceived in a lab rather than a bed. It just matters that this baby exists and I'm really happy about it. I want the world to know I'm going to be a daddy."

"I know, Clark, and you're probably right."

He reached out and grabbed her hands. "I know you're not convinced that you can do this mommy thing, but I promise everything will be okay."

Lois let the smile which threatened to curl her lips take over. "Not so long ago I seem to recall I was the one giving the speech about the baby being a good thing."

Clark grinned sheepishly. "I know. I just can't help it. When I heard this little guy's heart beat, I was hooked."

"Little guy?"

"Or girl! Wouldn't that be something? A miniature Lois Lane!"

Lois wrinkled her nose in reflection. "Oh! Is that a good thing?"

"Yup! I definitely think so!"

That elicited a laugh from Lois and she shifted to face him fully. "I'll make you a deal. You slow down… way down, and I'll… bond with this baby?"

Clark nodded with another smile. "Just relax. That's all you need to do... and I'll try to do the same with Superman."

"Okay. Now, let's get you back in bed."

Clark was about to protest, but their deal sprang to the forefront. "All right. I'll stay home today."

"And no Superman?"

"No Superman," he agreed.

Lois smiled brightly before they exited the vehicle. She wasn't exactly sure what she'd just committed herself to. Could she bond with this baby? She had no idea. She did know she could continue to look at things more from Clark's point of view. And if she could just see things the way he did, who knew how the future would turn out?

Clark could only smile as he made his way down the ramp into the newsroom. Lately, things had been going great between himself and Lois. She'd taken his advice and tried to let herself 'go with the flow'. And they'd spent time together, talking and doing the things 'normal' couples took for granted. Only, Clark treasured those times -- a simple dinner shared with his wife was almost a monumental event.

Lois also became easier about her approaching motherhood and started to act like she was enjoying her pregnancy. Her morning sickness had recently ended, leaving her with an awesome supply of energy. She often had steam left long after Clark was too 'pooped' to party.

As he'd promised her, he had slowed down his super activities. Although, they did take a flight now and then just to enjoy themselves and see how the world was doing -- a pastime Lois seemed to like as much as he did.

Today, Clark had even more reason to smile. The night before, Lois had decided to accompany him on the weekly shopping trip for groceries, explaining that this wasn't a sign she was becoming domesticated, but that she wanted to make sure he got all the little 'extras' she just needed to have. When they'd been browsing for some time through the frozen dessert section with Lois assuring him adamantly that the choice was a very delicate one, their heavily laden shopping-cart had become entangled with that of a grey-haired lady.

Clark's grin widened as he remembered the scene. The elderly woman's rather annoyed glare had softened as she studied Lois....

"My dear, I do agree! Ice-cream and chocolate are important necessities to ladies in a certain condition, normally accompanied by something quite bizarre...."

"Excuse me!" Lois turned her stare from the frozen cabinets to the little woman at her side.

Clark froze, waiting for his partner to verbally attack the unsuspecting shopper. Oh, no, and they were really the ones at fault here. He dived in, anxious to avert a skirmish, "I'm sorry, ma'am! My fault entirely! I wasn't watching where I was going. I hope you're okay?" He wondered if he should surreptitiously x-ray the rather frail looking lady, but decided it wasn't necessary when she turned towards him with a smile.

"Oh, no harm done, young man. And please excuse my butting in, dear," the stranger said with a warm smile to Lois. "Put it down to my being a rude old lady, but I couldn't help noticing that you're positively blooming. It was so many years ago for me, but I remember the look, that special glow... and the cravings that accompany it. Of course, it must be more difficult now -- so many more choices than when I was pregnant. I don't know how you can ever make up your mind. Take my advice and get a wide selection. You never know what might take your fancy at any time...."

Clark stole a glance at Lois and found she too was grinning. "Oh, I know exactly what you mean," she admitted. "Last night I would have killed for 'rocky road' with pickles...."

"As sour as they come! I drove my husband crazy with cupboards full of jars!"

This was astonishing. Lois was actually laughing along with the stranger who was patting both their arms, as she continued. "I think I wouldn't be wrong in supposing this is your first."

"Yes, it is, though we have quite a little while to go. I'm only just out of my first trimester," Lois divulged.

"Then don't you rush things, my dear. Take this time to enjoy getting ready for your baby Time rushes by so fast and before long your children have grown and they have children of their own. Savor every moment, dears. They are all so precious." Her eyes had grown misty, but her smile was kind. "I really must go. Long shopping trips aren't much fun when you're my age, you know. Congratulations, and you, young man, take good care of your lady and her precious bundle."

She turned slowly and disappeared behind the next row of shelves as Clark called after her, "Thank you, and I will! She was nice," he said to Lois.

Lois' head was bent once more over the selections of ice-cream. "Yes, she was... very sweet... and wise!"

Obviously, Lois was taking her new mentor's advice to heart because she straightened up with a number of tubs in her arms and proceeded to place them in the already overflowing cart.

"Lois, I doubt our freezer has room for all of those... and it's really not necessary. I can come out to get you anything you need at anytime!"

"Clark!" Lois looked doubtful, but she lowered her voice. "You might have to cut back on 'you know who's' duties but you still go out. What if I really want these when you're gone. Men! You have absolutely no idea what a 'craving' is! That old lady did though, so I'm simply doing as she said."

His eyebrows raised in surprise. "I thought for a moment you were about to deck her!"

"Don't be ridiculous!" She sent him a look mixed with disapproval and bruised feelings. "What makes you think that I'm the type of person who goes around attacking sweet old ladies in supermarkets?" Then, satisfied that her purchases were safely deposited on top of the stack, she moved towards the checkouts. "I think we've got all the important things. That old woman was right about something else too... grocery shopping isn't much fun, even at our age."

She was striding forward when suddenly she halted and swung back to face him, saying, as if it were the most natural thing in the world, "Clark, I think tomorrow we should tell Perry and Jimmy that I'm pregnant."

"You do?" he squeaked.

"Close your mouth or you might catch flies. And we should probably tell my parents too, though I'm not looking forward to that.... Maybe I could just send you. Nah, that would be like tossing the Christians to the lions, and I'm not a sadist. I'm sure we'll manage somehow."

He never ceased to be amazed by Lois Lane and shook his head in amusement as he began pushing his precariously balanced grocery cart in the wake of his wife.

Now, Clark's step was light as he threaded his way across the bullpen and, as usual of late, Lois sensed his arrival in the newsroom. "Hi. Where have you been?"

"Little side trip to be super. Nothing big," he quickly assured her when she looked at him with a worried expression.

"I hate to jump right into this, Clark, but I think Perry suspects something. Maybe we should go ahead and tell him and Jimmy about the baby now," she whispered.

"Baby? Did I hear baby?" Cat had been hovering close by, her radar on high alert at the whispered words.

Clark frowned down at Lois and shrugged. She shook her head slightly before turning a cool stare at Cat, unhappy that their coming announcement had been pre-empted. Besides, she'd wanted Perry and Jimmy to be the first to know.

"Yes, Cat. You heard baby. I'm pregnant." Lois decided there was no reason to deny it. In fact, she was surprised by how easily the words came out.

"Oh… my… God!" Cat stressed every word. She'd thought she'd gotten the worst shock of her life when those two married, but this? Lois was the last person she ever expected to become a mother.

"Don't sound so surprised," Lois said as she stood. "Even *I* am capable of producing children. Clark, come on! Now that the 'cat is out of the bag' we'd better let Perry know right away, before it's all over the newsroom." She glared pointedly at the glamorous gossip columnist before walking away.

Cat stared speechlessly at Lois' and Clark's backs as they headed in the direction of Perry's office, where, a few minutes later, the couple experienced a very similar response from their two best friends.

"Why does this shock everyone so?" Lois let their reactions get the best of her and she gazed accusingly at her editor and her research assistant.

"Well, ah, it's not that it shocks me… exactly..." Perry started.

"I think it's cool! Way to go, CK!" Jimmy quickly piped up, smiling and slapping his 'hero' on the back.

"Jimmy! He didn't do it alone!" Lois reminded him.

"No... no! Sorry, Lois." The young gofer blushed shyly at her. "It's great. Lois Lane pregnant. I think I should get my camera!"

Clark couldn't stop the soft laughter from escaping his mouth as Jimmy hurried from the room, but Lois cast him an offended glare. "What? Come on, Lois. It's funny."

"No. It's not."

Lois was about to unwind her frustrations on Clark when Perry spoke again, his voice heavily edged with worry. Truthfully, he wasn't sure if he had the right to ask this question, but his anxiety drove him on.

"Ah, correct me if I'm wrong, kids, but won't Lois and… and well, the baby, end up… alone? Now, don't get upset. I'm just asking because I'm concerned."

Clark knew someone would ask this question before long. He was glad it was Perry. "Chief, Lois and I are fully aware of what this means, but this is something we both want."

Perry scrutinized his star reporter consideringly for a long moment before he smiled and stood to extend his hand. "Well, just let me say congratulations. And, Clark, I assume I can count on you to take care of her. You know Lois is like a daughter to me."

"Absolutely," Clark agreed.

The Chief turned his attention to Lois, choosing to keep his conclusions to himself. "This is great, honey."

Lois pouted prettily. "It would be if everyone would stop giving me the shocked speech."

Perry chuckled and, coming round his desk he wrapped an arm around Lois' shoulder. "You do know I won't expect any slack from you?"

"You do know I won't let you and Clark tie me to a desk? I just want to make that clear. I'm pregnant... not made of glass!" She glanced back at Clark, who held up his hands in surrender.

"That's my girl." Perry led her over to the door. "Now, get out there and get me something for the afternoon edition."

Lois allowed herself to smile for the first time since she'd come into his office. "You got it."

Watching the couple go, Perry felt his eyes cloud over with unshed tears. When they'd dropped the bombshell that Lois was expecting, his first thought was that the kids had both lost their minds. Yet, after taking one long look at Clark, the pieces of this whole complicated puzzle fell into place. After all, he wouldn't be a man in his position if he couldn't read between the lines. As an old hound dog newsman, he'd been witness to many of the world's tragedies, and he couldn't remember the last time he'd been brought so close to tears. He just prayed that everything would work out well for these two young people -- the alternative was just too horrible to contemplate.

"You're what?!"

Ellen Lane reacted exactly the way Lois had forecast when she was informed of her future status as a grandmother, even went as far as demanding whether Clark, or her daughter for that matter, had ever heard of birth control.

Instead of irritating either one, however, both Lois and Clark smiled at the predictability of it all and bit back a snort of laughter, which only succeeded in angering Lois' mother further. Ellen herself had fallen pregnant within a year of her wedding and soon after her daughters came along, her problems with Sam had begun. At first, she'd hardly noticed, yet little by little she'd realised that she'd taken a backseat to his work and then to his little peccadillos. She didn't want that for her daughter. Immediately she started off on another one of her long tirades bemoaning the selfishness and faithlessness of the male of the species.

The couple sat side-by-side on Ellen's couch, Lois listening with long-suffering resignation, while Clark was polite, but completely bemused. He'd never seen the senior Ms Lane in quite this mode before, and he was inclined to believe he'd discovered just where Lois' babble gene originated. Relief washed over both of them when his hearing kicked in and picked up a call for Superman. Lois, feeling Clark's tug on her arm, made an excuse for them and fled with him.

It was nearly an hour later before they were able to get to Sam's house, but that turned out to be not such a traumatic revelation. Though a little surprised, he wished them well. After all, who was he to tell his daughter this wasn't a wise thing? He'd let her down too many times before. This time he'd support her.

"That wasn't so hard, was it?" Clark asked as he and Lois stepped into their apartment later that night.

"I suppose not." She kicked off her shoes and went to look at the mail they'd gotten from the box on their way in.

Clark came down to stand beside her. "Come on. Admit it. Don't you feel better now that everyone knows?"

"I guess." She was still absently thumbing through the envelopes.

Clark chuckled indulgently and she stopped her perusal of the mail to grin at him.

"Okay. It does feel better. Besides, it's not exactly like I can keep this covered much longer." She rubbed a hand over her swelling stomach.

"Yeah." Without a thought, Clark reached out to run his hand across her mid-section.

Lois tensed! Another hand was at her stomach, reminding her of so many others today... Marcia and Cindy in the ladies room; that new typist from the 'pool'. Even Eduardo who had a wife and children of his own had patted her tummy as he wished her luck... and, worst of all, Ralph who couldn't resist the opportunity to grope her when he'd caught her alone in the elevator. Well, she'd made him sorry he'd ever attempted that....

The moment Clark's hand made contact with Lois, his eyes shot up to meet hers. What he saw immediately made him withdraw as if he'd been burned. She was looking at him as if he was 'the Monster from the Black Lagoon'. His shoulders drooped and he stepped around her to go up to his room.

Why had she done that? Clark had surprised her when he touched her and he hadn't done anything quite as bold before... apart from that one time in the doctor's office... and that time in bed. But, she hadn't given him permission to do that. Then again, he probably felt he should be able to do such a thing. That was his baby in there and he most likely figured he had the right to touch her.

<But it's *my* body!> Her inner voice protested, her mind still transfixed between the intrusive familiarity of her colleagues and Clark's rights as a father.

She closed her eyes tightly. Why did she have so much trouble with these things?

"Clark." Her voice was barely loud enough to cross the space between them... but he did have super-hearing!

Super-hearing or not, he didn't respond, just continued walking. So she yelled at him, loudly.

"Clark, don't do this!"

Clark stopped dead in his tracks, shaking his head to clear it. "Sheesh, Lois, that hurt my ears!!"

"Sorry!" she offered contritely, "But it was the only way to get your attention."

He shrugged dejectedly. "Don't do what, Lois? Feel hurt because you looked at me like some… *thing* just now?"

"I didn't mean anything by it. You took me by surprise was all. I didn't expect you to touch me."

"Oh, I got that message loud and clear!"

"Well, dammit! You should have asked to touch me."

"You're right. I know you are," Clark relented a little, though his stance was still defensive. "But the disgust in your eyes hurt like hell, Lois."

"Your touch doesn't disgust me." She crossed into the bedroom, nearer to where he stood on the stairs. Though words were difficult for her to find, her eyes begged him to believe her.

"You couldn't prove it to me." Clark tore his eyes from hers and took a long, deep breath. "Okay, I'm sorry. I should have asked first. I just got caught up in the moment. But, Lois, I told you how I feel about this baby. I like watching your body change and I guess I just wanted to feel… the life we created. Nothing else."

The sorrow in his voice reached her, freeing her tongue. "I know, Clark. I forget that you're experiencing this from the outside." She sighed and flopped on the bed. "I don't know what's wrong with me. It's not like you haven't touched me dozens of times."

"But not like that." Clark moved slowly back down the stairs to where she sat on the bed. "It's scary, huh?"

"Incredibly."

"I'm scared, too."

She looked up to meet his gaze. "I know you are. Clark, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. You should be the *only* one who does get to touch me like that. There must have been a hundred people try that today."

"Lois, I had no idea. No wonder you reacted the way you did. You must feel like a prize exhibit."

"It's still no excuse." She reached out to take his hand, placing it over her stomach. "This is your baby. I think you should bond with the little guy as much as you can... or girl!"

Clark stared at her for a long moment, his eyes warm with tenderness, before his gaze fell to his hand. Just then the tiny bundle beneath the skin made his or her presence known. Clark's eyes flew back to Lois' to find she was just as surprised as he.

"Oh wow! Clark, did you feel that?" Lois' voice trembled breathlessly.

"Yeah." He looked back down again as he felt another little flutter through his hand. "That's amazing," he said in awe. When the baby moved a third time, he shifted and kneeled before Lois, bringing his other hand up to hold her stomach. The movements stopped, much to their disappointment. He moved his hands gently, hoping to excite another flurry. "Has this happened before?"

"No… well, not like this. I've felt pressure and light flutters, but this…" Her hands came up to settle over his. There was nowhere else for her to put them that felt so right. "That felt incredible!" Suddenly things seemed so much different for the new mother.

Clark flexed his fingers and was rewarded with another movement. "Oh wow!" he laughed, his eyes moist.

"Clark," Lois whispered as she lifted her hands to wipe the tears from his eyes.

His eyes locked with hers, conveying everything he'd ever felt for her. Caught up in the moment, he leaned forward and kissed her softly. "Thank you," he whispered when he leaned back.

Lois was overcome with emotion, never expecting to feel such an overwhelming attachment for her baby. She lifted her arms to wrap them around Clark's neck, giving him the courage to return her embrace, holding her tight like she was the most precious person in the world for him. If he'd believed having this baby felt wonderful before, now it was absolutely unbelievable... words could no longer express his feelings.

She allowed him to hold her for several moments before pulling back. "I'm sorry I freaked out before. I want you to touch your baby."

"I won't make you uncomfortable," he stated firmly.

"You won't. And you didn't. It was just a long day of people fussing and being pushy. I made another mistake... sorry!"

He smiled up at her, no longer hurt by her outburst. "Hey, I'd probably feel a little freaked out too if everyone started treating me like a 'labrat'."

"Actually, you probably understand that better than anyone." Her gaze softened as they silently acknowledged the truth of that remark, and unconciously, her hand smoothed his hair.

"You know, Lois, there might have been a little hormone overkill in your outburst, too."

"Let's hope not! Lois Lane on hormones?"

"Oh, I know. God help us all," Clark teased.

She smacked his arm before standing back up. Something had to be cooked for dinner and it wouldn't get done from here.

Clark stood with her, still laughing softly. "Lois, I'm sorry, too."

"We seem to say that a lot," she pointed out.

He shrugged helplessly. "Look at it like this. In twenty or thirty years, we should have it all down pat."

Twenty or thirty years? Was that possible? And Lois laughed out loud, a little hysterically, at that. "Come on… Daddy. Mommy is hungry."

Clark couldn't stop the enormous smile from spreading across his face at those terms. That was the first time Lois had ever referred to either of them that way. If his guess was correct, she'd just fallen in love with their baby. The thought made him almost delirious. For a long while, he'd wondered if Lois felt she'd made a mistake, but now the twinkle in her eyes told him otherwise. Life couldn't possibly feel any better than this.

Lois and Clark had commandeered the small conference room after lunch, spreading the research notes for their current story over the table. They were investigating an alleged fraud at one of larger pharmaceutical companies in the country, having been tipped off that certain amounts of money from government funded grants were being misused. Both had decided that this was definitely a job for the investigative team of Lane and Kent, but there was just so much technical data in amongst the research that Lois felt herself completely at a loss.

"Do you think we should ask Bernie to help us out here?" Lois asked, only half kidding. "Maybe he'd understand what most of this is all about, because I'm stumped!"

"Nah, the great Lois Lane stumped?!" Clark grinned. "I don't believe it, but I know what you mean...."

Clark's voice trailed off and Lois noticed his head tilt and his hand go instinctively to his tie; signs that he was hearing a call for the superhero.

"Sorry, Lois, there's a pile-up on the northern freeway. It sounds like a big one. I have to go...."

"Clark, is your memory going too?" Lois argued worriedly. "Bernard said you have to take it easy, and you were already out during the night."

"I know, Lois, but I feel okay right now," he told her apologetically. "I just can't sit here and ignore what's happening when I know I can help. But I p