Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
betsy Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
OK, you asked for it (or maybe you didn't, but then, you can skip it!!)

Here is the rewrite of GiaF - the absolutely last large fic I will ever attempt to write... I think. I tried to come up with a new ending - for those who read the first go-round of this beast.

Please let me know all comments. Any problems, any nitpicks, etc. Of course, compliments are welcome, too wink

I don't know if I'll be getting back to any of this for a while, as baby is due any day now, so please don't be insulted if you write to me and I don't write back.

Thanks!

Betsy Rogers
birdies95@att.net
birdies95@hotmail.com

tweet tweet (they've killed my birdies emoticons sob)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, Betsy -- I'm excited to see that you've rewritten this, and I'm looking forward to reading it, but it's already about an hour past my bedtime wink so I think it's gonna have to wait til tomorrow... and I hope to give feedback tomorrow. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey Great job Betsy! Loved it. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Betsy, thank you for reposting this one. I hadn't caught it first time around and I thoroughly enjoyed this alternative beginning. With having to comment on all segments at once I can't point up everything that made me laugh or snuffle or was adorable and waffy and poignant and exciting and just plain...well, let's just say I loved every moment. And a tight a-plot as well! clap

Wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing. I found it fascinating and enthralling and your Lois and Clark were just adorable together. Their conversations over dinner and banter were wonderfully written and it was nice to see such a smart and savvy Lois. LOL on her surprising Tempus with her knowledge of Clark. Reading this made a rainy morning so much brighter. smile

But, please - last long story you'll ever write? With talent like yours that would be a great shame! Think again?

And still crossing my fingers for you on that other project you're working on. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've only read P1 so far (and I haven't read it before), but I just wanted to say I love it. I've found it really unusual so far, but in such a good way.

I'm interested to know who the baby was at the beginning. At first, after you mentioned an alternate beginning, I thought it was Clark, but then he said he'd lost his parents 10 yrs ago, not as a baby. Though, /me does some thinking/ the Kents couldf have found him after his first parents found him. Oh, the possibilities in this scenario are endless. :rolleyes:

Despite the slight alterations you've made to L&C, they still seem true to character, at least to me, thanks to the way you've written them. smile I loved Lois writting up the old theatre story.

I see we've got no Superman, but the Guardian instead. Every time I see 'The Guardian' I immediately think of The Guardian newspaper, I don't know why! I'll need to wait and see if we out how the Guardian was created, it obviously wasn't Lois Lane in this universe.

Glad this Clark's done way better than the old 'Cheese of the month' excuse! laugh I'll also be interested to see what has made this Clark so judgemental, both as the Guardian and CK, in his newspaper articles, it must have been quite bad. Can't wait to see if he has his globe and ship, though I hope Trask doesn't exist is this universe.

Hope everything is ok with the baby and that junior doesn't make you wait too long. wink

Loriel (who will read the rest when she has more 'net time.)

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, Betsy, this is wonderful!! As you may remember, I did read this first time around, and I had a lovely time reading it all again now. I'm sure there were some changes to the earlier sections, but it all worked wonderfully for me. smile

You had me worried when Lois was still kidnapped by Tempus, though. smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
wildguy wildguy

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Blogger
Blogger
We both love this story, Betsy! drool We'll all still be here when you come back.

Casey & Christine wave

I am a citizen of the world - Socrates
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

I like the rewrite. thumbsup

MAF laugh

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Features Writer
Features Writer
Betsy,
wonderful rewrite
don't stop writing longer stories
merry

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow, Betsy. I started this reading this and realized it was familiar. Then, the further I read, the more I remembered. This was a marvelous story then, and it's even better now. smile

This Clark is so much less prone to foot-in-mouth disease, isn't he? laugh Loved how he handled the Lois/Lex situation, and the beeper was brilliant.

Moving on the Wells/Tempus thing... well, yes, Wendy is right that one Herb is at least better than multiple Herbs. smile But if I remember correctly, a lot of readers were troubled at the time because we'd invested so much care in this Lois and Clark, and then they were gone. Merged, I think? I don't remember the details clearly, but I'm very, very glad you changed that ("good" Tempus notwithstanding). This Lois and Clark deserve their chance at life, Utopia or no.

And lastly... Wow, what a powerful observation from Lois. Indeed, how utopian can "Utopia" be, if it produces malcontents like Tempus? I've always thought that Herb had things utterly wrong, anyway. One day I'll even write that fic that's been hovering in the back of my mind for two years now... but don't hold your breath. blush

Betsy, I'm glad you dusted this one off and polished it so brilliantly. I'll end by chiming in with the others and urging you not to stop writing! By all means, take a break if you'd like. Take a year to write another one, if that's what it takes. But you have a wonderful talent, and I'd love to read more of your work. smile

Hazel, who just had a marathon reading spree and STILL hasn't caught up to the boards yet help

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I sat down and read this in one sitting last Thursday night, but haven't had time to comment until now. First thing to say is that I liked this. I hadn't read the previous version, and I'm curious to know what had changed.

I certainly wouldn't have taken the time to read all the parts in one go if I hadn't found the story compelling, so congrats on engaging my interest!

Good points? Well, you made Lois and Clark's relationship very poignant. I really felt for this alt-Clark. I'm curious, though; you say that both of Clark's parents died, but you stress the fact that Clark witnessed his mother's death. I assume that she took longer to die, hence the death-bed conversation(?).

Now, you mention Trask. My immediate response was, ah hah! A dangling thread, all ready for the sequel, and then you tell us that you have no plans for another long story. No. You can't get away with that! We won't let you.

Good use of technobabble! wink I barely understood it, but I understood enough to get the gist of what was going on. That is success in the tradition of Star Trek and ER. (I shared a house for a while with someone who was a massive ER fan. One day she was lamenting the fact that she couldn't understand much of what was going on; I pointed out that she didn't have to. All she needed to know was that it was exciting and that the characters knew what was happening!)

One last question, which might stem from the fact that it was very late when I read this, so it might be me being very thick; the first Tsunami in 1958... Was that a test run by Tempus, or was it a natural occurence? Just curious.

Chris

Features Writer
Features Writer
Betsy, I read and enjoyed this story when you posted it last year. Then I reread it this morning and enjoyed it still more and posted some terribly important comments...but those were lost with the board crash mad

I am very glad that you found a way to sustain this alternate universe. I liked watching how the relationship of this Clark and this Lois developed. We have a vested interest in them now, and we want to see them continue. Maybe you'll care to revisit this universe someday...

I really like the idea of an alt-Tempus to help solve the problem. Very ingenious. And there was some wonderful banter between evil-Tempus and this Lois! He had certainly underestimated her.

And this had me rotflol
Straightening his spine and jutting his chin, Wells raised his fists in his best boxer's stance and approached Tempus.

"I'm afraid, chap, that you leave me no choice in the matter. Defend yourself."

Tempus gazed, open mouthed, at the comical sight before him, and then roared with laughter. "Oh, Herb, Herb," he huffed between laughs, "you slay me. Defend myself."
It was a wonderful story, and I certainly echo the sentiments of others when I say that I hope it's not the last long story that you write. Thanks so much for posting it. smile

KathyM

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
I have just read this on the archive. Delightful story. I like the way this Lois and Clark's relationship grew.

The pager is perfect!!! hyper
Just as Lois was about to ask Clark a question, he got a now-familiar look on his face, pulled up his beeper (which he always set to vibrate, thank god, or the ringing would be a practically permanent background noise whenever he was in the room),
So much better than the bad excuses.

But I did wonder, is he just using a pager as an excuse or did he hire a service to send alerts to the pager when major problems, earthquakes and the like occur?

Lois smiled.

"Oh, I know you'll be disappointed to hear this, but I figured it out myself. I take it my counterparts didn't?"

Tempus eyed her with more respect.

"No, they're all, almost without exception, twits."
I, the least-twit-like Lois Lane,
Just delightful. Really very well done.

Framework4
S
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Sorry, but I can't seem to locate this rewrite. frown I'd really like to read it! Where can I find it?

Thanks eversamuch,
Snave

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey Snave,

I found it in the Fanfic Index. I was just looking for something to read when I saw this thread. :p

Jen

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000047

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2004/goneina.txt

Oops! Just re-read the reference; I guess beeper = pager.
So sorry, I didn't even notice that I used a different word.

Framework4
S
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Thanks to both of you for the URLs to the story.

The reason I was confused about which was the rewrite, was that Framework4 mentioned a pager in the post. But a search of the story didn't reveal the word 'pager'!

sad Oops! Just re-read the reference; I guess beeper = pager. (blush!)

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard