Two hours later, he still hadn't found her. Booting her computer at the Planet, he had found the last story she had submitted. The story of the wave, where it had come from, and how the Guardian was going to try to stop it. Although she tried to sound passive, the fear still came through in her writing. There was no clue as to where she would go to seek shelter, though. If he had his powers to help in the search, he would keep going. But he was fresh out of 'normal' ideas to follow.

Clark wrote up an accompanying article, summarizing the after-effects of the wave. He had called all of the emergency services and had interviewed several sad but relieved public officials. He cautiously added a short interview of the Guardian, justifying that he and the Guardian were known to be acquainted. If asked, he could state that the Guardian checked on him after the worst was over.

Stepping up to Perry's office, Clark knocked lightly and walked in.

"You look whipped, son."

"It's been a long day, Chief. I still can't believe you didn't leave town with the rest of the sane folks…"

"Well, Alice is out visiting our oldest, so I was on my own. I figured I'd baby-sit the paper, since most of the roads were so clogged with traffic." Perry sighed. "It's been a long day for all of us. And it looks like it's getting longer. Stories of looting and all sorts of mayhem are drifting in now. And the Guardian's out of commission. I guess stopping all that water tired the guy out."

"Between you and me, I think this just about did him in. That's not something the criminal element needs to know, though. Speaking of tired, I'm heading home. If you hear from Lois, Chief?"

"You'll be the first to know. Good work on this story."

Clark nodded his thanks and walked to the elevator. He wished he had his enhanced hearing so that he could hone in on her heartbeat. It seemed to be all he could do to put one foot in front of the other - but he had to find her… he had a bad feeling. Making up his mind, Clark went to his apartment, borrowed his neighbor's bicycle, and began searching.

Lois had just stopped for a minute. She wanted to get out her notebook to jot down some of the observations while they were fresh in her mind before she turned around and headed back toward the bridge and Metropolis.

She had heard on one of the car radios that the Guardian had stopped the tsunami. Metropolis still wasn't safe - the number of rescue personnel was low and the number of emergency situations high. The riff-raff were taking advantage of a custom-made situation. But that didn't scare Lois. She needed to be back in the city - her city - with Clark.

As she stood back up, straightening her pack, she felt a strong grip on her elbow. Looking over her shoulder, she was amazed to see Chronos/Tempus smiling at her.

"Well, as I live and breathe, if it isn't Lois Lane, intrepid reporter."

"And you're Tempus - loser from the future. Am I right? Do I win a prize?"

The look in his eye told Lois that Tempus hadn't expected her to know who he was, and he certainly hadn't expected her snappy attitude - not with her world under attack. Then, awareness dawned in his eye.

"I guess Herb caught up with you, the meddling idiot. How is old Herb, anyway?"

"Don't know. Haven't seen him in a few days. When I do, I'll be sure to tell him you said hi. Now, if you don't mind, I've got an un-evacuation to go on with."

"Oh, I don't think this group will miss you." Chuckling, Tempus pulled Lois off the road and toward an alley. When Lois tried to resist, Tempus shook his head and revealed the small, nasty looking gun he had aimed at her. Reluctantly, she went with him. As Lois suspected, no one said anything, even though she was practically being kidnapped. People were all concerned with their own fates.

"Don't worry; I just need you for insurance. I don't have any designs on your virtue. I never could understand who would find himself attracted to such an obvious moron, anyway. Speaking of idiots," Tempus paused, looking at Lois with a question, "where's your partner?"

Lois weighed her options for a minute. If Tempus were from the future, he, like Wells, would know that Clark was the Guardian. Telling him would not reveal anything, but might throw him off his beat, anyway.

"He's off trying to clean up the mess you've made."

Tempus's eyes widened in surprise and mock-humor.

"Oh, ho ho! So you know his little secret?! Tell me, my dear, how long did he let you make a fool of yourself over the Guardian before he told you the truth? Hmmm? And how galactically stupid did you feel, being fooled by a pair of glasses and a mask?" The warmth in his voice was betrayed by the ice in his eyes. This was a man filled with hate, and toying with him could be dangerous.

Lois smiled.

"Oh, I know you'll be disappointed to hear this, but I figured it out myself. I take it my counterparts didn't?"

Tempus eyed her with more respect.

"No, they're all, almost without exception, twits."

Deciding to go on the offensive, Lois went on the hunch that Tempus didn't know the overwhelming problem H G Wells had alerted Clark and her of. "Well then, it's too bad that I, the least-twit-like Lois Lane, and my universe are disappearing. Right?"

Trying to hide the uncertain question in his eye, Tempus ushered Lois into a large, abandoned warehouse. She noticed the peeling paint and had a hunch it was lead-based, so that it would shield Clark's vision. Tempus moved toward a small vehicle that Lois suspected was his time machine. As he set the dials, he turned to her.

"Disappearing? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Just what I said." Lois turned to him and looked coldly at him. "Your efforts to destroy this pre-Utopian society were wasted. My universe, and most all others, are dying."

Tempus's eyes narrowed as he observed Lois. "I do believe that you do believe what you're saying, Ms. Lane." Pushing her into a chair, Tempus quickly, efficiently, and tightly tied Lois down before continuing, "Of course, you could only have gotten that information from Herb. And he's a regular saint - never lies, unfortunately. You don't know how I wish that man could be corrupted. He's just not human! Anyway, it should be easy enough to verify…"

Playing with some of the instruments on his machine, Tempus smiled wickedly. "There it is! You're right! No Utopia here! Whoo-hoo!"

"Aren't you overlooking something, Tempus? No Utopia, no Tempus…"

At this thought, Tempus paused. Typing furiously into his instruments, he didn't notice the light that flashed outside the warehouse window.

Clark was pedaling toward the base of the Millard Fillmore Bridge. He had thought about checking Lois's other logical escape route first, but something drew him here. It had been rough traveling through Metropolis. Once the police started getting situations under control, people started trickling then flooding back into the city. Going against the flow, without his powers and feeling weaker than a human baby, Clark found his journey slow.

The walkway was still crowded with people, though it was no longer packed, as it had been hours before. Still, Clark hesitated to ride a bicycle through the crowd. As Clark chain-locked the borrowed bicycle at the base of the bridge, H G Wells walked up to him.

"Clark, so glad I've found you! I've located Tempus and would like your help when confronting him!"

Clark looked down at the smaller man. "Sorry, but I'm trying to find Lois. I have a feeling that she needs me right now."

"That's probably correct. Tempus has your Lois Lane with him. Not that she couldn't get away from him under her own impetus, mind you, but…"

"Well, let's go!" Clark interrupted impatiently.

"Right, right. Of course. They're just down the road a pace - not too far, but I believe we should take a taxi? I have one here…" Leading the larger man, Wells walked to a taxi stand that was empty. "Well, there was one here." He looked around, confused.

Sighing, Clark whistled to a passing empty cab. The first cab merely drove on, but the second stopped. After they got into the car, Wells gave the driver the address.

"Now, he has her in a warehouse. It's probably lead-lined…" A look in Clark's eye startled Wells into silence. Then he noticed that the driver was listening to their conversation quite closely. And he had almost revealed Clark's secret.

Sighing, Clark picked up the conversation, "So if there is any radiation, she should be fine. That's a relief."

Wells nodded. "Yes, exactly what I was going to say. So. Umm. That wave. Shame about that, eh?"

Clark rolled his eyes and shook his head at Wells's attempt at small talk. "Yeah, it was terrible. Not as bad as they expected, though. Thank God."

"Well, I think everyone has the Guardian to thank for that!" Wells nodded, tapping Clark's arm as if conveying a secret message. Clark simply smiled and nodded.

The cab pulled up outside the warehouse, and Wells got out quickly as Clark paid the driver. Clark got out behind him, and the cab drove away, leaving a musty exhaust cloud on the damp, cool air.

"They're in there?"

"You can't tell?"

"No, and I don't seem to have any powers right now. But that doesn't mean I can't help Lois…" Clark trailed off. Seeing a window on the side of the building, he decided to do a little Lois-style reconnaissance. The window was dirty and cracked, and the room inside dim. Clark could make out Lois, sitting in - tied to?- a chair, talking to a man - probably Tempus. She looked like she was arguing with him. In spite of the gravity of the situation, Clark smiled. So like Lois to argue in any circumstance.

Motioning to Wells to stay quiet and well behind, Clark went around the building, looking at possible entrances and exits. As he paused next to a partially-open door, Clark listened to the conversation.

"This cannot possibly be right. Chaos should beget chaos! Not…" Tempus's voice sounded frustrated and was accompanied by the sound of typing on a machine.

"Emptiness? Nothingness? You're honestly surprised that your actions might have consequences outside your own plans? And you say *Clark* is egocentric."

Clark edged closer, trying to determine if he could open the door silently. Wells came up behind him, trying to catch a glimpse of what was going on inside. He didn't judge the distance between Clark and himself well, though, and pushed Clark into the door. The resounding squeak of un-oiled hinges echoed through the warehouse.

Clark turned a frosty glare upon the well-meaning time-traveler, who had the good sense to look embarrassed.

"Well, Ms. Lane, it looks - or rather sounds - as if we have company. I assume it's Herb and the muscle-bound moron? Hmmm? Come-out, come-out wherever you are!"

Pushing the door fully open, Clark motioned for Wells to stay behind him as he walked into the room. When he crossed the threshold into the main warehouse, he felt the presence of Kryptonite. Looking helplessly at Lois, who was, indeed, tied down in a chair, he tried to ignore the pain coursing through his muscles.

"Ahh, I see from the look in your eyes you recognize the present I have for you. Here, catch!" Tempus laughed as Clark tried to deflect the small green rock that careened at him.

Stepping from behind the rapidly-weakening hero, Wells picked up the kryptonite and wrapped it in some lead foil. "See here, Tempus. What is the point of this? You know the game's up! The time police will be here at any moment."

"Except, Herb, that according to these readings," Tempus indicated a screen on his time machine, "there will be no time police in this universe. And it's just really too bad that you're the only one who seems to be able to track me down time after time. No pun intended. I think I'll live the rest of my life happily enough here - after I dispose of these two, of course.

"Oh," Tempus continued, directing his attention to Clark, who was struggling to stay standing, "muscle-head, in case you get any ideas, the chunk Herb just covered ain't nothing compared to this one." Grinning, Tempus held up a large chunk of Kryptonite. "A scientist friend of mine figured out how to manufacture this stuff. Even figured out how to make it not glow, so I could mix it in paint. Don't you like the décor of this room? Lead on the outside, Kryptonite on the inside."

The other three people in the room looked around in horror. The paint on the walls in places looked fresher than others, and definitely had a green hue. The poison surrounded Clark. He sank to the floor, helpless against the pain.

Renewing her efforts to free herself, Lois watched as Clark fought the effects of the alien substance. Clark had said it could kill him, and she couldn't let that happen. The world needed him. She needed him. But the ropes simply wouldn't give. She couldn't help him, and he couldn't help himself. He was already weak from battling the wave - he had nothing left to battle the Kryptonite. Though her wrists and ankles felt chafed to the bone, she struggled harder as she watched him labor to breathe.

Wells looked on the scene, trying to decide what to do. The pacifist in him argued that violence was never the answer. He could fight Tempus here, and maybe, if there were some huge amount of luck on his side, he could win. He was fresh out of inspiration for any other idea, though. Straightening his spine and jutting his chin, Wells raised his fists in his best boxer's stance and approached Tempus.

"I'm afraid, chap, that you leave me no choice in the matter. Defend yourself."

Tempus gazed, open mouthed, at the comical sight before him, and then roared with laughter. "Oh, Herb, Herb," he huffed between laughs, "you slay me. Defend myself."

Something in Wells broke at that point. All of his ideals flew out the window, leaving only a red haze of anger. His boxing training from his youth kicked in, and he threw a quick left jab into Tempus's solar plexus. As Tempus bent over in surprise and pain, Wells placed a powerful right hook across Tempus's jaw. Shaking his hand to try to get rid of the pain, Wells looked down in satisfaction at the semi-conscious Tempus.

Bending down, Wells grabbed the gun that Tempus had used to coerce Lois to the warehouse. After he checked to make sure Tempus was still incapacitated, Wells went quickly to Lois and began to untie her. The two of them worked quickly and freed Lois, who ran to Clark's silent form. Wells kept the gun trained on Tempus, who began to stand.

The superhero lay pale on the warehouse floor. He smiled weakly at Lois. "We did good, didn't we?"

"Yeah, yeah. Now get up off your butt and let's get out of here." Lois tried to help Clark to his feet, but his extra-dense structure made him impossible to lift. "Clark, you have to help me out here."

Clark took a shaky breath and shook his head. "Can't. No strength left." Closing his eyes, he leaned into Lois.

"Clark. Clark!" Lois shook him as before her eyes, his skin paled.

"Well, at least *something* in my plan worked." Tempus laughed.

"Oh, shut up, you fiend." Wells tightened his grip on the weapon. Though Wells's heart wept for the soul-mates in front of him, a more pragmatic question tickled his mind. If Clark died here, it would be one more change. Could the universe structure handle any more changes?

What would happen if it couldn't?

Clark's labored breathing was slowing. He took one last, gasping breath, then stopped.

Tears coursed down Lois's cheeks. She cradled the head of the fallen hero, lost in grief. She didn't even spare a glance at the other people in the room. There was no room in her heart for anger or accusations. There was simply a great hole. She felt as though she had lost half of herself. Bowing her head, she began to weep.

Tempus looked on with a smug grin. Turning to Wells, he smiled thinly. "Looks as though my work here is done, Herb. So sorry that your last-minute heroics couldn't save the day!" Attempting to step toward the time machine, Tempus stumbled. He shook his head as though to clear it, then stopped, his eyes closed.

As Wells looked on, the room began to change. It was as though a silent, cleansing wind rushed through. The room looked much the same, but somehow, it looked completely different.

Clark started changing before his eyes, too. His color became deeper once more, and he began breathing.

"Clark, Clark, you're going to be ok…" Lois was crying. But the tears weren't of hopelessness, they were of relief.

Tempus had undergone the most serious change. Or, rather, changes. One Tempus stood, looking as confused as Wells felt. Another Tempus knelt next to Clark and Lois, an empty hypodermic needle in his hand. He was dressed in disheveled jeans and a crumpled but clean button-down shirt. His hair looked as though he had been running his fingers through it for hours.

He looked like a scholar, and there was a mixture of concern and anger evident on his face. When his evil counterpart tried to rally himself, this new Tempus grabbed his arm in a martial arts grip and forced him to the chair.

Wells was completely confused.

Pulling out the instrument on his belt, Wells did some quick inquiries. Shaking his head, he tapped the instrument and tried the calculations again.

"Uncle Herb? I can explain what's going on here…" the 'new' Tempus turned to him after tying down his counterpart in the chair that had so recently held Lois. "I decided a few months ago to try to duplicate your time machine, even though the temporal laws forbid it. At first, my only motive was to study the past." Wells tried to interrupt, but Tempus held up his hand. "I've been very careful not to introduce any time-line changes. But you have to admit, the opportunity for an historian to study Lois Lane and Clark Kent first-hand is more of an opportunity than I could be expected to turn down! Especially after you told me about the possible introduction of a time paradox here by my alternate universe counterpart! I knew this confrontation would happen here, tonight, and I've been lying in wait since my counterpart here arrived…"

Wells looked up, confused. He seemed to have two versions of his own memory now. One in which this universe had no future at all, and another in which he influenced the life of a young, talented historian/scientist named Tempus to help him stop the murder of Clark Kent/ The Guardian.

Nodding slowly, Wells let the two versions of his own history meld.

"You did it. You protected Clark Kent."

New Tempus shrugged. "I did my best. From what I read, he would have used most of his energy battling that wave earlier today. It was a matter of getting my Kryptonite vaccine into him… not an easy task. How, exactly, do you inoculate an invulnerable man? I had to wait until he was weakened enough by the wave and the Kryptonite to give him the vaccine."

"You gave him a Kryptonite vaccine?" Wells asked in surprise. If the Guardian were immune to Kryptonite, history would once again be changed.

"Oh, don't worry. It's a short-term vaccine. It only works on a per-exposure basis, even in our own time. And not very well, even then. As you can see." Tempus nodded toward Clark, who, though rousing and looking healthier, was still looking rather ill. "Maybe someday the vaccine will be fixed, but not here, not now. That would change the future, and I promised I wouldn't do that. We'll still have our own problems with the green poison in the future. I'd say if it weren't for that, with all of the Guardian's descendants, the future would be paradise - almost Utopia. We're not far off as it is. At least, I hope we're not?" he asked Wells, who was consulting his own instruments again.

"Yes, yes. Your future is intact. And your universe is headed toward Utopia."

"Oh, puhleese." The alternate Tempus, who had been silently watching his counterpart, could no longer hold in his derision. "How could *you* be a traitor to your own future"

Tempus smiled. "I'm an amateur historian by hobby and a scientist by trade. The only way I could be a traitor to my own future would be to sabotage it. If you attempt to change the past, you risk changing the very circumstances that created you. The one thing you and I seem to have in common is a love of our own existence. You threatened my existance. I stopped you. Now I can enjoy my own life. I'd suggest you find a way to do the same, unless you're too stupid or too crazy to figure out how."

Alternate Tempus narrowed his eyes. "*You're* calling *me* crazy?"

Tempus considered for a second before replying, "Either that, or your mother dropped you on your head when you were a baby." Pulling out a device, Tempus activated a button. Within seconds, a team of time police had come into the room and taken custody of Alternate Tempus.

"Oh, go ahead. Take me to prison. Again. I'm so disgusted right now. My own flesh and blood…" He continued to mutter as he disappeared into the time window.

This new Tempus smiled then walked to the couple who were still on the floor. As he kneeled next to them, he noticed that Clark seemed to be coming around.

"How…." Clark began, but Lois interrupted him.

"Shhh. Everything's ok. Chronos is gone. The Kryptonite isn't going to kill you."

Clark smiled weakly. "That much I can tell."

Tempus interrupted them, "I'm sorry, but you've got to get him out of here. The vaccine I gave him only works for limited exposure. I promise I'll clean this place up and get rid of the stuff."

Lois looked at the stranger - so much like the Chronos/Tempus man who had tried so hard to ruin her world. Yet, somehow, he was different. Deciding to trust him, she nodded. "OK. Clark, can you move yet?"

Clark nodded and braced himself. With the help of Tempus and Lois, he hobbled out of the warehouse and into the evening air.

Wells followed at a discreet distance.

"Good luck to you two. You're gonna need it." Tempus smiled wryly.

"Never mind," Lois said, "We don't want to know!"

Wells put a hand on Tempus's shoulder. "Can you go back in there and start working on the cleanup? I'd like to talk to Ms. Lane and Mr. Kent." When Tempus had left, Wells looked at the tired couple. "You know, protocol says I'm supposed to remove this episode from your memories. Your knowledge might change the timeline."

"A timeline that wasn't supposed to exist until five minutes ago?" Clark asked. "Anyway, I don't think you have much to worry about from us. We won't tell a soul. After all, who'd believe us?!"

Wells nodded. "As I thought. I'm going to go help the young Tempus clean up that room, then we're going to be on our way. It was, once again, a true honor and pleasure working with you two."

Lois laughed lightly. "Thanks. Pardon me if I say I hope we don’t do it again… any time!"

Wells turned and walked back into the warehouse.

Lois turned to Clark. "I'm kind of curious, though. If our troubled future creates a good Tempus, but Utopia produces that Chronos guy - do you really think Utopia will be paradise?"

Hearing a loud gun shot in the distance, Clark grimaced. "I don't know, and I don’t think we're ever going to have the opportunity to find out." Looking down into her eyes, Clark suddenly smiled. "But, that's ok. I think we can find our own kind of perfect life together. Don't you?"

Lois smiled back. "I'm certainly willing to try. Shall I hail us a taxi?"

The couple walked back toward the main streets together, confident in their own future.

Begun 1 aug 2001
Finished (or close to it) 15 may 2003

Please note first off that this story had been in my mind ever since I saw the special on Mega Tsunamis on TLC (yes, they're real. Yes, La Palma is falling apart. Yes, someday, our east coast and most of the coast of Western Europe are going to be wiped out by a giant tidal wave). I started writing the story pre-9/11. I stopped writing this story 9/11. But this is the first long story I've wanted to write. Sorry if it offended anyone.

Betsy Rogers
birdies95@att.net
birdies95@hotmail.com

tweet tweet (they've killed my birdies emoticons sob)