Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I have always heard it with thing. Honestly the few times I've seen it in fics, I thought it was a mistake. blush

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, English is a funny language...

The expression "couldn't care less" reminds me of the Southern usage of "ain't" -- it's not a negative, it's more of an intensifier. "Aw, that ain't nothin'" = "that's nothing" laugh For full effect, of course, you need a drawl.

It does annoy me, though, when people write down what they've (incorrectly) heard, and don't even know the difference. "Should of" makes me shudder. They should've been taught better. Never knew there was a word for that, though, so thanks, Gerry smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wait a minute. You mean no one has linked to this poll yet??

I said all I need to say there, but in essence:

Even if "another think coming" was the original phrase, "another thing coming" is the way I learned it and the way that makes a heck of a lot more sense to me.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I would like to add one thing to this discussion. There are 'creations' out there that contribute to the spread of the phrase "another thing coming".

For example, this song:

"You've Got Another Thing Comin'" - by the band 'Judas Priest' back in 1982 (no, this is not my type of music AT ALL, but I have actually heard the song and it came to mind when I was thinking about this discussion).

So it's because of stuff like this that I feel justified in my ignorance. laugh

That, and I do have to agree with Paul... I've always heard it "thing" and that's what sounds 'normal' to me.

But at least from now on, I'll know not to correct it in any beta work I do. wink

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've heard it both ways. Probably more "thing" than "think," 'cause in my early years everybody said "thing."

But grammatically, I think that both are correct.

"If he thinks ______, he's got another thing coming."

In this sentence, "thing" is the direct noun of the verb "has got." It implies that the person thinking whatever he's thinking will have something else happen to him than what he thinks.

"If he thinks _____, he's got another think coming."

In that sentence, "think" is a gerund (a verb used as a noun--or is a gerund a noun used as a verb? I always get that confused. Either way, "think" is a verb used as a noun here.), and it's ALSO used as the direct noun of the verb "has got." This change implies that the person doing the thinking had better re-think his thought, or something altogether unpleasant (for him) will happen to him. wink

Basically, they're two different words, but they have the SAME GRAMMATICAL EFFECT on the sentence--despite the slight difference in connotation.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
You've got to be kidding.

I have never - NEVER - seen "another thing coming" until I tuned into this discussion in a previous thread. And if I ever heard it spoken, I translated it in my head to "think" and didn't hear the other. It's got to be another example of creeping liberalism in either speech or hearing which robs us of the ability to discern the actual and factual thing that we think we're both hearing and saying beyond the shadow of a doubt which creates in us the inalienable right to fight for Rocky VII with or without curly fries and - [/end stream of uneditited musings]

Sorry.

I asked my high-school age daughter about this subject. She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "It's 'another thing coming,' Dad. What makes you think it would be 'another think coming?'" I explained my reasoning to her and she rolled her eyes and muttered something about old age and senility and stalked out of the room.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
rotflol

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, with D8A’s example, the answer is logically think. It makes no sense that thing could possibly be right.

But as others have mentioned, saying, “There’s another thing coming,” is also correct.

Saying, “If you think that, then you have another think coming,” is different than saying, “There’s another thing coming.”

But then saying, “If you think that then there’s another think coming,” is correct.

But this is correct, too… “Oh, hey look there’s a monster on the road, and there’s another thing coming, too.” (Bad example… Sorry.)

Interesting discussion...

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm the other way around, Classica. To me, "then you've got another think coming" makes no sense. It's not really a valid/grammatical usage of the verb.

OTOH, the following makes perfect sense to me:

"Well, if [Thing A] is what you think/expect, then you've got another thing coming."

Of course, looking back, now that it's been explained to me that it's a cute little play on "think" that's not really supposed to make complete sense, I can sort of get "another think coming," but "thing" is still how I've always heard it and what makes sense to me.

*shrug*

Incidentally...

Which of the following sentences are correct?
Is incorrect. Which is singular. Think of it like this: "Which [one] of the following..."

Therefore, it should be "Which ... is correct?"

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
a cute little play on "think" that's not really supposed to make complete sense
Oh, I think it's supposed to make perfect sense - at least, as I say, it always has to me! laugh I don't view it as any play on words, so much as I do it being a complete, logical, grammatically-correct sentence. For the reasons others have explained in this thread.

I guess we'll always go with what we're used to. But, for me, it's the exact opposite. Thing makes no sense to me whatsoever and think makes perfect sense.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was brought up with "another think coming". "Think" is the collequial word for "thought", both nouns. Also "another thought coming" is correct, but sounds oddly old fashioned. All this comes from living with a family that included an English teacher.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow... until I read this thread I didn't even know of the existance of "think" in that context. I believe everytime I have ever read it I probably replaced it subconsciously to "thing" in my mind.

Don't I feel like a silly billy.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just to be pedantic wink

"If he thinks _____, he's got another think coming."

In that sentence, "think" is a gerund (a verb used as a noun--or is a gerund a noun used as a verb? I always get that confused. Either way, "think" is a verb used as a noun here.), and it's ALSO used as the direct noun of the verb "has got." This change implies that the person doing the thinking had better re-think his thought, or something altogether unpleasant (for him) will happen to him.
I'd argue with that connotation -- it seems to me it's more like: The person doing the thinking will soon be forced to re-think because what he thinks is gonna happen ain't gonna happen. It implies to me that the person doing the faulty thinking isn't likely to wise up until slapped in the face by reality. The "another think" is "coming" to smack some sense into him.

I'd say it's less of a warning and more of a prediction. There's almost an element of "you've got another think coming, and I can't wait to watch it get here and smack you around."

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'd argue with that connotation -- it seems to me it's more like: The person doing the thinking will soon be forced to re-think because what he thinks is gonna happen ain't gonna happen. It implies to me that the person doing the faulty thinking isn't likely to wise up until slapped in the face by reality. The "another think" is "coming" to smack some sense into him.

I'd say it's less of a warning and more of a prediction. There's almost an element of "you've got another think coming, and I can't wait to watch it get here and smack you around."
Actually, that's what I was trying to say above, Pam. Thanks for explaining it better! smile

Darcy\'s Place
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard