Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
So I have a question. I see this done both ways in fics. Is kryptonite capitalized or not?
Okay, I know we usually see kryptonite capitalized, and most people assume this because the word is based on the word Krypton as in the planet Krypton. The element krypton is not capitalized. I don't agree that kryptonite should be capitalized, and I’ll give you my reasoning. The elements in the periodic table are not capitalized. Otherwise you would see the words sodium, potassium, calcium, etc. capitalized. Even elements that were named after places and people - ie: germanium (Ge) - for Germany, californium (Cf) - for the State of California and for the University of California, curium (Cm) - for Pierre and Marie Curie, and rutherfordium (Rf) - for Ernest Rutherford. Yes, when you see a list of the elements, they might be capitalized, but then most lists are capitalized. It is somewhat common to capitalize the abbreviations - ie: Na for sodium, K for postassium, Ca for calcium, etc.

Here’s the link where I got the info about the names… periodic elements

So what do you guys think?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Features Writer
Features Writer
I read once that according to comic book law, the word kryptonite is not capitalized when standing on its own, but if the mention is paired with the descriptor - eg. Red Kryptonite or Green Kryptonite - that both words are capitalized, even though the colors are not normally.

I don't remember where I read that. It might have been on a Superman site, or it might have been in a thread on these or Zoom's boards, perhaps posted by Tank or Paul.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Recently I turned in a fic to the archive and even convinced the GE (Maybe she will even comment.) that I was right - to the point that she thought that perhaps it should be mentioned on the archive that kryptonite should not be capitalized.
As far as I'm aware, the current policy of the Archive is that it's entirely up to the author. We accept both versions, with capital or without. I have a very, very vague memory of this perhaps being mentioned at some point, and I do have a Grammar FAQ update to get to from way back which I've not had time to do yet, but I'm not sure whether there will be any changes made to this policy any time soon.

For myself (talking just as an author here, not in any capacity as a GE or as EIC of the Archive) I tend not to capitalise kryptonite. That I recall (I can't claim to have thought about it in any great detail.). But I know that other authors prefer to use a capital.

Nancy, we'd prefer if you kept private email correspondence private, unless you have the permission of the person who sent you the email to reproduce in public what they've said to you in private.

Giving a general account of what someone's opinion on something was in an email to you - just as you've done in the quoted para above - is fine, but copying and pasting their words verbatim is seen as more of an infringement of their privacy. This especially goes for GE/author correspondence, which we tend to try and treat as confidential as much as possible. Thanks. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
As far as I'm aware, the current policy of the Archive is that it's entirely up to the author.
Yes, I’m aware of that. I’m just curious as to what others think.

I didn’t mean any harm in what I said, LabRat. I’ve edited what I said.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, I’m aware of that. I’m just curious as to what others think.
I understood that, Nancy. Questions like this come up all the time on this forum. Yours doesn't strike me as being anything out of the ordinary. You seem to have taken offence at my post and consider you've been taken to task unfairly over it. I can assure you that I didn't - and don't - consider your asking this question to be anything out of the ordinary at all. It seems a perfectly legitimate thing to do to ask what others think about it if you're curious about it. Just because the Archive policy is that...well, there is no real policy <g>...doesn't mean that others won't have an opinion or that you or they shouldn't share it. And, to be honest, I don't think there was anything in my previous post that gave that impression. However, I apologise if you misunderstood the intent of what I said earlier.

As for the email - you made a mistake. It happens. I don't think it's a huge deal and I certainly didn't think you were trying to cause problems or trouble with it.

Thanks for editing your previous post. Although, as I stated in my previous post, I didn't think the paragraph that I've quoted required editing out. It was just fine as it was.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
You seem to have taken offence at my post and consider you've been taken to task unfairly over it.
No, really I didn't, LabRat. I just didn't want to come across as rude.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No problem, Nancy. Misunderstandings all round, I think. It's NOT a big deal, so there's no reason to feel bad about it. Don't worry about it. smile

I hope you get some answers to your question. thumbsup

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think the word Kryptonite should be capitalized, simply because it's a NAME. But I don't think that the "green" or "red" should be capitalized when they're used with the word Kryptonite, because they're just descriptive words about the Kryptonite. Therefore: green Kryptonite and red Kryptonite.

Of course, I have never really been consistent about this myself, so sometimes, I don't capitalize any of it at all, and sometimes I capitalize the green and red too.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I've seen "Oxygen" and "Helium" and other elements capitalized quite often.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm going to fall into the non-cap version of kryptonite - it's a noun, like table, oxygen, dog, meteorite, earth(dirt).
It's not a proper noun (name) like George, Irving, Frank, Earth(planet).
The way I figure it Kryptonite is the trademarked version. While kryptonite is found in meteorites (either from Smallville or Addis Ababa)

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Top Banana
Top Banana
The way I figure it Kryptonite is the trademarked version.
Trademarked version? What?

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Top Banana
Top Banana
A trademark is a trade name for a product (like Xerox for photocopy, Kleenex for bath tissue) Maybe STAR Labs or Lex Luthor trademarked Kryptonite for kryptonite? (okay, it's made a bad joke) dizzy

Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Top Banana
Top Banana
I know what a trademark is, but I didn't know what you meant by "Kryptonite" being the trademarked version. wink

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think "Kryptonite" is trademarked by DC, so they tend to capitalize it.

Then again, there are Kryptonite bike locks...

I agree, though, that as an element or (somewhat) natural substance, there's no real need for the capitalization. Still tend to use it myself, though, out of habit.

Meantime, though... Looking at the discussion between Lab and Classica, I've got to say... I love these boards. laugh

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
It never even occurred to me until I read this thread that anyone would capitalize it. Like gold, silver or diamonds, kryptonite isn't a proper name. If you're referring to the planet Krypton, that would be capitalized. But not kryptonite.

But, hey, what do I know? I just wrote a story where for the first half I capitalized 'judge' every time I used it and for the second half didn't capitalize it at all, because I couldn't figure out if I was supposed to or not blush . But maybe by capitalizing it for the first half and not for the second, I've covered all my basis laugh

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Meantime, though... Looking at the discussion between Lab and Classica, I've got to say... I love these boards.
LOL, Paul. And you missed most of it, because the bulk of it took place over in PM. goofy

Have to say though, as usual, Nancy's set up an intriguing discussion. I'd never thought too deeply about this one before, but the posts so far have been very interesting. I might have to refer back to it if I ever get the time to get that darned Grammar FAQ update done. laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
T
Blogger
Blogger
T
in regards to capitalizing the word Kryptonite but not the descriptive red or green I'd say I definitely disagree. I'm of two minds about whether or not the word should be capitalized at all, so I have no opinion on that subject, but if the logic you're going by is that Kryptonite is a name then you'll have to capitalize the descriptive red or green because in this case the red and green isn't just a descriptor like a red car but is describing an entirely different substance. the difference implied between red and green Kryptonite implies that it's just a color change. The difference implied between Red and Green Kryptonite is that there is significantly more to distinguish the substances than simply their color.

On the topic of whether it should be capitalized at all? I'm sure that in the trademark it's capitalized. However, the argument can be made that it should not be. Just like when reffering to china plates we don't capitalize the word "china" anymore because it's not a proper noun any longer. kryptonite is a substance.

*muses* hey you know I have the offical novelization of the death and return of Superman. let's see...

kryptonite is not capitalized. However I find no use of the green or red qualifiers, but he was most definitelly reffering to green kryptonite (as is the assumption made when reffering to a generic piece of the rock.) Since it's not capitalized when reffering to a green piece generically I can see no reason to capitalize it when reffering to a green piece specifically, and therefore no reason to capitalize red (or any other descriptor one might have). Looks like when it comes to non-comic format typography they treat it like the word china.

But frankly? I really don't think it's something that will cause a massive rift in the space time continuum if it gets capitalized on occasion.

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
LOL, Paul. And you missed most of it, because the bulk of it took place over in PM.
rotflol

Well, this idea that it should be capitalized if Red or Green is in front of is quite interesting. One form of sodium (liquid I believe - liquid sodium - not salt dissolved in water) is silver. So if red or green kryptonite is capitalized then should we capitalize Silver Sodium? One form of copper is green. Should we capitalize Green Copper? In that same vein, should we capitalize Liquid Oxygen? Or should it be liquid oxygen, green copper, and silver sodium?

Would somebody actualy be able to trademark an element? Maybe... I don't know. I guess if it's a created element, it could certainly be trademarked. But kryptonite was part of a planet. It wasn't created in a lab. I bet there was some salt, and some oxygen, and some potassium and nitrogen on Krypton, too. (Interesting... We capitalize Krypton, but half the time earth is not capitalized... Hmmmm..... )

But frankly? I really don't think it's something that will cause a massive rift in the space time continuum if it gets capitalized on occasion.
Nope, but it is an interesting question.

Top Banana
Top Banana
(Interesting... We capitalize Krypton, but half the time earth is not capitalized... Hmmmm..... )
There are actually rules on that one. The name of the third planet of the Sol system is Earth. The stuff you grow plants in is earth. (But what does that say about a people who call their planet dirt?)

Top Banana
Top Banana
The way I remember the capitalization rules for "earth" is this:

I do things on/in/with/under the earth, but I live on Earth (or on the planet Earth).

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Yes, Dandello and Darcy, that's the way I learned earth / Earth, too, but I don't usually see that being used like that. (And I do capitalize Earth when I'm speaking of the planet... I was making a point... laugh )

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard