A future for us
pt 26

In a few minutes the elevator of the newsroom opened. A cleaning cart rolled onto the platform and a young man pushed it along down the ramp, and then down the aisles of desks, stopping to sweep the floor and to empty the garbage cans. In his pocket was a lump of green kryptonite. He swept, getting closer and closer to Clark.

Lois turned around and lifted her mug to Clark’s back. He turned and stood up, reaching over to pick up his own before picking hers up as well. Perry watched the exchange from the coffee station, noting that no words or even glances had been exchanged between the two of them, yet Clark knew that Lois was hoping for a refill.

Clark bent down beside Lois’ head and whispered in her ear, then left for the coffee station. “How’s it going Clark?” Perry asked, stirring his own mug of brown stuff.

“Good, Chief.”

The cleaning boy moved closer to the coffee station, leaning over the garbage can under the stand. He pulled it out and began to empty it, wondering if the green rock was close enough to Kent to be affecting him. He walked to the cart, then headed back toward the food area with the garbage can. He put his hand in his pocket and as he got behind Clark, he pulled the kryptonite out all the way. Clark went on chatting with Perry, who noticed what the boy was doing.

“HEY! What in the Sam hill are you doing with that!”

Clark turned around and saw the boy with the kryptonite. “You’d better give that to me. You could get into some trouble if you’re caught having that.” Clark took the kryptonite from the cleaner and showed it to Perry. A few eyes turned toward him, including Lois’.

“I’d better get this into protection.” He held the boy’s arm. “Sorry son, I’m sure the police are going to want a word with you.” The teenager glanced around and started to make a run for the door, but Clark’s hand on his arm didn’t budge. The fearful looking youth practically fell when his arm didn’t come along with his mad dash.

“I’ll call the police,” Lois offered, picking up the phone. She’d swung around in her chair and watched, feeling glad they’d found the yellow kryptonite the other day and that it was in Clark's belt in the suit beneath his business clothes.

Very glad actually. She had an idea. Phoning the National Inquisitor, she suggested they come and have a look at what was going on in the planet. Needless to say, they were already posted down in the lobby, ready to interview the man they had claimed to be Superman.

In moments they were on the scene, snapping photos of Clark Kent holding a chunk of glowing green rock. He obviously wasn’t Superman. Anyone who knew anything about Superman, knew that he couldn’t get near Kryptonite.

Perry knew that. But he also knew what he’d seen in the stairwell, twice. He knew something was up. He’d find out more later, but for the moment, it was important that Clark’s secret was safe.

Henderson brought along a lead box to retrieve the kryptonite. Clark went to get Superman who arrived in the newsroom through the window while he was out. Superman was quite happy to take the kryptonite and dispose of it in his usual hiding place, by tossing it into the sun.

Lois felt quite smug as she watched the faces of the NI reporters and photographers. Not a bad days’ work.

Clark returned to the room and offered to write up the story for the planet. “No Clark, you’re too close to this, I think I’ll let Steve handle this one. You and Lois have had too much publicity with Superman lately. I think this is the best way.”

“Perhaps you’re right, Perry.” Clark acknowledged. Steve had been standing at the coffee station while all of this had happened. He knew first hand what had gone on.

--But Clark, now everyone will know that green kryptonite hurts Superman.--

--Are there any bad guys that don’t know it already?--

--Well, they may figure it, but they don’t necessarily know that. The most important thing here is that Clark Kent isn’t Superman. I think we’ve established that pretty thoroughly.-- She paused. --I’m so glad it didn’t hurt you. We never talked about it, but I know you have the yellow kryptonite in your belt now. That was a really good idea Clark. I’m so glad you did that. I also know you came to my apartment and put it around in there. That was a good idea, too. I know how easy it would be to trap you in there, anyone can do it who has a bit of green kryptonite. Of course we’ve, or you’ve done a really good job at eliminating the green stuff. I guess there’s still some more left out there though. You know, I think you should get whatever they keep at star labs and throw it into the sun as well.--

She paused. Finally. Clark grinned at her. He loved her so much.

“What do you mean it failed?” Lex Luther sat across from Nigel again.

“Clark Kent isn’t Superman. The kryptonite was beside him and nothing happened. He even took it away from our gopher. He held onto it, for goodness sake.”

“It mustn’t have been the real thing.”

“Trust me, it was the real thing. I had it certified myself.”

“Well, then find the real Superman and do away with him!”

“Yes, sir.”

Nigel stood to leave. He knocked for the guard to open the door. When he was through it and the guard closed the door behind him, locking Lex Luther’s ears away from what he was about to say, the guard spoke.

“I’m sorry sir, but you will be staying with us.” The guard moved aside as a police officer read him his rights, then hand cuffed him.

“What’s this all about?”

“I guess you didn’t notice that camera in the upper corner of the room? You’ve just confessed to some serious crimes.”

“You can’t do this.”

“I’m sorry, sir, but on the contrary, it is now a done deal

It's always such an embarrassment. Having to do away with someone. It's like announcing to the world that you lack the savvy and the finesse to deal with the problem more creatively. I mean, there have been times, naturally, when I've had to have people eliminated, but it's always saddened me. I've always felt like I've let myself down somehow.