Clark and his parents had shared a short but emotional few words before the ceremony. His father had pulled him into a bear-hug and told him how proud of him he was. Clark thought that odd, but Jonathan had explained it took a special person and a remarkable man to do what he was doing. A decision like the one Clark had made was not one to be taken lightly. He assured both his parents that not a moment of his marriage would be taken lightly. There was such a lot at stake and Clark couldn't afford to waste one precious minute.

Lois, on the other hand, had thought she'd be so nervous she wouldn't be able to see straight. But since she'd resolved the night before that this marriage was the only thing she could do, she had become strangely serene, and now that she was totally satisfied with her decision she was growing kind of excited as well. Lois loved a challenge, and this was certainly a totally new experience.

In front of the small altar, Clark stood waiting for his new life to start. He was dressed in a charcoal suit with his hair neatly in place. A small sound from the back of the chapel drew his attention and he turned to see Lois on her father's arm. She was wearing a beautiful, white lacy dress that hugged every one of her curves and he found himself drawing in an audible breath. He was even happier when he detected a similar response from Lois. Obviously she was just as affected by her first sight of her husband to be.

Lois and her father began their slow walk down the isle to the strains of the wedding march. When they reached the end, Clark smiled and shook Sam's hand as the older man gave his daughter over to the most powerful man in the universe. Not that Sam knew that little detail. Clark turned and held out his hand to Lois, signifying that he was still giving her a choice. Yet she didn't need his consideration, smiling warmly as she slipped her hand into his. He returned her smile and covered her hand with his other one, facing her slightly as the minister started the ceremony.

Clark took a deep breath as he gazed at Lois. She was beautiful. She was remarkable. And she was about to become his wife. Refusing to think about the real reason all of this was happening, he resolved just to enjoy the moment.

"Clark has asked to say his own vows," the minister told them.

Lois' eyes widened as she waited for Clark to speak. This was something they'd never discussed and it threw her a little off balance, but Clark was continuing and she forced herself to concentrate on his words.

"If anyone had told me a month ago I'd be marrying you today, I would never have believed them. Yet, for some reason, fate has blessed me and now I stand before you not to vow my undying love and support -- you'd always have those even without the marriage to go with it. I stand here to ask you to remember always what this day means to me. It means I will be able to spend my life with my best friend. It means…" Clark took both her hands in his. "It means you saw enough in me to take a chance that I could actually make you happy. Lois, you have no idea what it is you're giving me." He lifted his hand to her face. "I do though," he whispered as tears filled his eyes. "You're giving me happiness. You're giving me security. You're giving me… life." He took her hands again, pulling them to his chest. "Today, I give my life back to you."

Lois felt the tears prick behind her eyelids. She'd always known that he cared for her as more than a friend and when he'd confessed his love for her, she hadn't doubted it for a moment, but she'd had no idea that his feelings were this intense. She felt immensely privileged... and it scared her to death.

Everyone was waiting for her to speak, and she had to say something; the last thing she wanted to do was to hurt Clark's feelings in front of their family and friends. The silence was becoming uneasy.

And she did love him. It just wasn't the same 'ever-after' kind of love that Clark had for her. Lois wasn't ready for that kind of devotion -- she wasn't even sure if she believed in its existence. Yet looking directly into Clark's face she couldn't deny the truth shining in his eyes. Swallowing hard, she found her voice and for the first time in many years, Lois allowed her heart to lead her.

"Clark, I promise to take that life and hold it close to my heart. Until I met you, I never knew that such love existed. I love your compassion, your gentle strength and your beautiful soul. For me the world would be an emptier place without you in it. So today, I promise to give to you everything that I can to make your life happy and content."

Only Clark's parents understood the hidden meaning behind their words, but everyone was moved by the simple vows. Lois found her eyes filling with tears anew as Clark slipped the wedding band on her finger and kissed it softly. She repeated the gesture with the band she'd gotten for him, then Clark's mouth covered her own.

When their lips touched as husband and wife for the first time, the kiss lingered for several moments. Clark held Lois' face gently as he fought to control his emotions. He wrapped his arms around her and was overjoyed when she leant into his embrace. The sounds of clapping brought them back to their surroundings and Clark reluctantly let go of his bride, reality once more encroaching on the magic.

Being that the ceremony had been small, Lois and Clark opted for a dinner with their parents and friends afterward. There were the usual wedding toasts followed by some pleasant talk which first revolved around the newly married couple then flowed naturally into general conversation about everything under the sun. Things seemed to be going remarkably well.

Clark couldn't help but notice Lois looked as if she were happy and relaxed. Her smile was bright and genuine, making her eyes sparkle. She sat close to him and didn't seem averse to touching him now and then. He didn't want to make any assumptions about being intimate, but he did allow himself to become a little bolder.

When she smiled and leaned into him after he'd rubbed a hand across her shoulders, he let himself relax even more. Though he did experience one tense moment when, getting caught up in the romantic atmosphere, Clark had intertwined his fingers with hers and lifting her hand to his lips he'd kissed it softly. He'd held his breath, expecting her to pull away, but she only smiled gently and left her hand to rest within his grasp. That had caused Clark to close his eyes as he struggled with a new wave of emotion for this incredible woman.

Soon enough though, the tension returned as they said their good-byes to their parents and their friends. The walk up to their room was accomplished in complete silence.

Lois smiled in trepidation as they stepped into the room Clark had reserved for them. It was a huge homey room, with a comfortable sitting area, which held a chintz-covered sofa, a coffee table and television. Clark had chosen well the place for them to become accustomed to being husband and wife, although Lois couldn't keep her eyes from straying to the bed that sat along the back wall.

It was certainly a large bed and it shouldn't pose too many problems for them to share without initiating any embarrassingly close contact. Of course, after listening to Clark's vows of earlier, Lois was well aware that Clark wouldn't see things in quite that way. And she did wish that she could offer him more than just the occasional amicable touch.

Well, perhaps for this one special night she could. Surely holding her dearest friend as he slept would hardly constitute a major breach in independent Ms Lois Lane's steely defences. Tonight Lois chose to give Clark a little of what he was dreaming of, and as she made her decision she felt a great weight lift from her shoulders.

Lois unwound and smiled as her eyes lit on a large bouquet of roses. She pulled the card from the arrangement. They were from Clark, thanking her for becoming his wife.

"I thought it couldn't hurt," he said sheepishly.

"I love them. Thank you." She lifted her hand to caress his cheek briefly.

Clark closed his eyes as he felt a fresh wave of love flow over him. That seemed to be happening every time Lois touched him, but he realised he might be acting too hastily for his wife, and he didn't want her bolting for cover on their first night together. He forced his mounting desire aside and reopened his eyes to give Lois a tender smile. "You're welcome," he told her before he took his glasses off and lit a couple candles on the dresser with his heat vision.

"You could be useful to have around," Lois told him with her voice full of laughter.

"Just wait till you see me take out the trash," Clark remarked on a more casual note.

Lois laughed softly as Clark turned on a stereo that sat on one of the bureaus. He came back to her and held out his hand.

"Dance with me."

She smiled and stepped into his arms. Clark tucked her into his body the way a practiced lover would his mate. He held their joined hands between them against his chest, then wondered if he was being too daring... but, what the heck! Tonight, he would allow himself to be a little reckless.

"I haven't told you how beautiful you look," he said huskily.

"You don't look so bad yourself."

Clark smiled and twirled them around. "This is nice. I've always wanted to dance with you. You kind of shot me down the one and only time I've had the chance."

"What?"

"At the White Orchid Ball. I cut in on your dance with Luthor."

Lois tensed at the mention of Lex's name. She hadn't bothered to tell Lex about her marriage to Clark. He'd been out of the country and hadn't gotten back.

"What?" Clark sensed her withdrawal.

"Nothing." Lois tried to settle back into the mood they had been setting.

Clark stopped and leaned back to look at her. "It's Lex isn't it?"

"Yeah. He's been out of town."

"So he doesn't know about us?"

"I'm sorry, Clark. If he'd called or I could contact him, I would have told him. And I will as soon as he gets back. I promise, he means nothing to me. He never did."

"Then why did you go out with him?" Clark really didn't want to spend his wedding night talking about Luthor, but like a human with the toothache, he found he couldn't leave the sore spot alone.

"I guess… I was a little dazzled by his sophisticated life-style. I'd never been to the ballet or the opera in New York, so I think I was a bit mesmerised by it all." Lois wasn't actually looking forward to dealing with Lex as lightly as she'd made out to Clark. But for tonight, she resolutely pushed her former, debonair suitor aside. "And I was lonely. I don't have to be any more, do I?" She smoothed a hand over Clark's chest, smiling at him in an effort to recreate the warm atmosphere.

Clark let his hand run up Lois' back. "Neither do I," he told her. He pulled her closer as another song started. With his cheek next to hers, they began to dance again. "This isn't dancing."

"It's not?"

"Nope. This is." Lois' eyes grew wide as he floated them up into the air all the while continuing their dance. "I've always wanted to dance with you," he repeated.

Lois was more than a little enthralled by her new husband's abilities, and she pulled her hand from his and slid both around his neck, silently asking him to hold her closer. She was beginning to enjoy the meld of the two men who'd held her affection.

Clark was perfectly amenable with this new state of affairs and wrapped her in the warmth of his embrace, holding her close to his chest until the song ended. When their feet were back on the floor, he lifted his head but didn't release his hold on her. They stood there, staring at each other for what seemed like an eternity. Finally he pulled away, reminding himself not to push too hard.

"Do you want a glass of champagne?"

"Ah, no," she answered, clearly shaken by his withdrawal. "I think given that we're trying to conceive, I should leave the alcohol alone."

Clark laughed in triumph, holding up a bottle of cream soda. "I thought you'd say that."

Lois smiled as she went to stand beside him. "What just happened here, Clark? It really felt like we were connecting." And why should she feel there was a connection? Wasn't she the one who had been harping on about not feeling the same way for Clark as he did for her? Of course, it was probably that she'd been carried away by the emotions of the day and the romantic setting of the Victorian House. She'd feel differently when they returned to their normal lives.

He sighed and turned to face her. "I know. I'm still really nervous, and I'm sure that you are too." Clark chuckled humorlessly as he handed her a glass. "Crazy, huh? We're… married, yet there's still so much we don't know about each other."

"I hope we'll change that," she replied as she took the offered drink.

"Maybe… I shouldn't have asked you to marry me." Clark walked over to look out the window at the small chapel behind the house.

"Why?"

"Because…" He looked down at his own glass and sighed. "Because my motives were selfish."

Lois went up to him and spread her hands over his back. "You know, everyone has a time in their lives when it's okay to be selfish, and I'd say this was your moment. And I guess that makes us even." Clark twisted to look at her with questioning eyes. "In the beginning, I only wanted to save your life, and no matter what I said, I suppose Superman did have an influence on my motives... then! Getting pregnant was the only way I could do that, but I kinda got used to the idea and now I 'selfishly' want your baby... sue me if that's wrong!"

Clark couldn't stop himself from laughing. It was wierd, but somehow Lois' admission about Superman didn't have quite the same sting anymore. "I guess we're one heck of a pair." He held up his glass, silently asking her to do the same. "Here's to…" He quirked his brow at her. "What should we toast to?"

"Let's toast to… a new life."

"Ours and hopefully…"

"Our baby's," she finished for him when his eyes glanced at her mid-section.

"Yeah." He clinked his glass with hers and they both took a healthy drink. A knock on the door interrupted any further interactions. "I'll get it."

"What else did you do?"

"Honestly, Lois, this wasn't in the plans." Clark opened the door to one of the staff of the bed and breakfast.

"Sorry to interrupt, Mr. Kent, but I have a delivery."

"I see." Clark stood aside as the man pushed in a cart filled with several desserts and a couple presents.

The young man smiled up at Lois. "Congratulations, Mrs. Kent," he told her before turning to leave.

Clark came back to her side as Lois read a card she'd found. "Your mom," she told Clark.

"Ahh… I told her not to go to any trouble."

Lois was looking at the chocolate delicacy in front of her. "Speak for yourself," she told him as she picked up the container.

Clark chuckled and lifted one of the presents. "Hey, this is from your parents."

"What?" She peered over at the brightly wrapped gift. "Open it."

"You sure?" She could only mumble because her attention had already drifted back to the dessert she was indulging in. He opened the package to reveal a beautiful crystal picture frame. "Wow! Glad Jimmy took pictures."

"Mmm," was her only reply.

Clark smiled and picked up a card. "This one's from Jimmy." He chuckled softly when he read the contents. "He says his gift is our pictures." Lois only groaned in reply. Clark thought she was preoccupied with the chocolate, but one look at her face told him there was something else going on. "Lois, what's wrong?"

"Nothing." He gave her a 'this is me' look. "Okay." She put the container down. "Clark, the guy that brought this in," she motioned with her hand,"called me Mrs. Kent."

"Oh." Clark smiled softly and reached out to squeeze her arm. "Relax. I didn't ask you to change your name."

"It's just that I'm attached to Lois Lane."

"Yeah. Me, too."

She stopped the rush of protests that were about to leave her mouth. "You're okay with me keeping my name?"

"Absolutely. Your name is not who you are, but I think I like Lois Lane a little too much to give her up."

Her hands landed on his chest. "You're the best."

"I know." They shared a brief laugh before Clark grew serious again. "But this does bring up another issue." Lois leaned back to look at him. "The baby… I'd like for the baby to have my name."

"Oh,Clark, of course! The kid's already going to be cursed enough with me as his mother."

"Lois, you'll be a great mother."

"Think so?"

"I know so."

She couldn't stop the huge smile from spreading across her face. "So… let's not waste this chocolate."

Clark smiled and took a different selection from the cart so they could share. They settled on the sofa to talk and finish their wonderful treats. The earlier sexual tension had eased away and they spent the next hour talking and laughing happily, but as soon as the desserts were gone and the conversation came to a stop, Clark's anxiety returned full force.

Suggesting Lois share a bed with him had slipped out his mouth on impulse. He'd never dreamed she'd go for it, and he'd been right, but at least she'd agreed to share tonight with him. He'd been overjoyed at the prospect. At the same time, he'd been extremely nervous. And he was still nervous. Perhaps sleeping together would be a mistake. What if he couldn't control his impulses while he slept?

"Lois, you know, this couch is pretty comfortable, and I'm sure they have some extra bed-linen stashed away somewhere." He pulled his glasses down his nose and let his eyes look into the cupboards. Yup, there was another quilt. "Maybe you'd rather I sleep here?" He bounced a couple of times on the cushions, trying to pretend it was no big deal.

Even without Clark's outburst, Lois' thoughts had drifted in the same direction. Clark was offering her an out, yet, for some crazy reason she found herself rejecting it. At least, for one night she wanted to give something to this very special man. "Do you trust me?"

Clark looked over at her. The sudden question threw him, but he replied automatically. "You know I do."

"Then stay right here. I'll be back in a few minutes." Lois had the perfect idea. It wasn't quite the intimacy that most couples shared on their wedding night, but she felt that it might show Clark that she did care about his happiness.

He thought to question her but didn't. Suddenly he was absolutely petrified. He had everything he wanted, Lois was his wife, but this was all wrong. He should never have agreed to go ahead with the pregnancy, never mind forcing her into becoming his wife! He should have taken what life had dealt him and faced it alone... not involved Lois in something... not involved Lo.... His thoughts stuttered to a halt as his eyes caught a slight movement in the doorway.

Lois came out the bathroom dressed in a long silk nightgown and robe which she'd chosen very carefully, making sure it covered her from neck to toe. Nevertheless it did cling to every curve and Clark's breath caught in his throat. She looked so beautiful. She carried a bottle and a brush in her hands and he wondered briefly what she was going to do with those.

She put the items on the nightstand before going back to Clark. She held out her hand to him. "Trust me… and try to relax."

Clark let his mind go blank as she took his hand and led him back to the bed. She pushed him down to sit on the edge, took his glasses off, then bent to take off his socks and shoes. When she was done, she climbed onto the bed with the brush and started to pull it through his hair.

"That feels good," Clark told her.

"I remembered you saying you enjoyed when I stroked your hair the night I came to your place and found out you were getting sicker. I thought it would be great way to release a little tension."

"Mmm. I think it's working," he told her with his eyes closed.

"Good."

Clark really was loosening up, astounded that having Lois do such a little thing like brushing his hair should make him feel so good. "I used to brush Mom's hair all the time."

Lois laughed softly. "I can see you doing that."

"I still do sometimes."

This time Lois paused in her ministrations. "Really?"

"Yeah. It helps when I've been to a particularly difficult rescue. Concentrating on something so ordinary helps me reconnect to life."

Lois resumed her task. "Well, any time you feel you need to brush someone's hair, mine is available."

Clark chuckled gently, and let his mind go blank again as she continued her wonderful motions in his hair. He didn't notice when she stopped until he felt her hands on his chest. She'd unbuttoned his shirt and was running her hands over his smooth skin.

"Lois!" Clark gasped.

She felt him tense again and leaned forward to place her mouth to his ear. "Relax. It's okay... it's just a massage!" Even so, Clark groaned as she pulled his shirt from his body, not exactly sure that he could restrain himself at her intimate touch. Obviously, Lois had no such concerns as she reached for a bottle of what Clark now knew was lotion, put a generous amount in her hand, then placed her palms on his back. Slowly she began a rhythmic rubbing of his shoulders.

"Oh, God, Lois! That feels so good."

"I'm glad." It wasn't long before Clark was lying on the bed while Lois' hands continued to massage his back.

He closed his eyes again to feel the amazing sensations running through his powerful body. He wasn't sure how long she rubbed, but he did know it was the first time he could ever remember being so comfortable. He became aware of the fact that Lois was lying next to him on the bed. Clark rolled to his side and opened his eyes to look at her.

"Thank you. That felt great."

"I'm glad." She pushed a lock of hair off his forehead. "Feel better about… us?"

"Some." He moved to settle on his back. "Lois, you know why I wanted to get married, don't you?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry."

She leaned up on her elbow to look at him. "Don't be sorry you love me -- I'm not," she whispered and that was the truth. "I'm actually looking forward to our life now." And, though that really was true, it didn't stop her from being apprehensive as well... and petrified.

Clark lifted his hand to touch her face. "I think I am, too."

Lois leaned forward and pressed her lips to his briefly. When she leaned back, he was pleasantly surprised. "Why don't you go get dressed for bed? You can rub my back."

He grinned widely at her. "Okay." He hopped from the bed and disappeared into the bathroom. He returned, dressed in shorts and a tee shirt.

"Hey," Clark told her. "How would you like to fly to Disney World tomorrow?"

She smiled up at him. "Really?"

"Sure." He settled on the bed and nudged her to roll over. His hands started to work over her silk encased back.

Lois groaned appreciatively. "That's nice."

Clark leaned close to her ear. "Sorry about the gown, but I am not about to rub your back without something between your skin and mine."

Lois giggled at him. "But I don't bite… hard."

"Lo-is!"

She laughed out loud at his tone. "Fair enough, and I promise I won't tease," she finally relented.

Clark grinned as he continued to knead her back. It wasn't long before he detected her even breathing that told him she was fast asleep. He settled to the side of her body and gazed down at her. Soft fingers moved her hair back off her face. "Thank you," he whispered to her still form.

Lois was unaware of just what she'd given Clark by marrying him. He hoped he could show her though. He leaned to place a soft kiss on her cheek before lying beside her. For the first time in a long while, there wouldn't be nightmares when he slept.

Lois and Clark flew to Florida the next day and checked into a hotel in the heart of Disney World. This time, however, Clark was careful to book a small suite with a living room and separate bedroom to give Lois her space and privacy. He smothered a sense of disappointment, but when Lois smiled gratefully at him as they stood by the check-in desk, he felt it worth his sacrifice.

Their suite of rooms was bright and airy with a tiny balcony to enjoy the sun and the evening air. Clark hoped the time they could spend there together would make up for the time he'd have to spend sleeping on the sofa. Though it was large and comfortable, he would have preferred to spend his nights the way he'd spent his last one. Sleeping with Lois had turned out to be a wonderful experience, even if she'd stayed well on the other side of the bed.

He stifled his feelings for his new bride and followed her down the corridor to the elevator. They'd decided to put their bags in their room and head out to see the sights of the 'Magic Kingdom'.

They spent the remainder of the day exploring some of the park and she was pleasantly surprised by how much she was enjoying herself. Clark was relaxed and kept her laughing with his light banter. He seemed so much different to her than he usually did in their normal day together; he was just... Clark! Never once did he mention work in any form and neither did she. How was it she'd never noticed that she had a lot in common with this man outside the newsroom?

If Lois were honest, she'd admit that she'd known for sometime Clark was a great guy outside work. She'd also admit that they 'did' have a lot in common and were quite compatible. However, since she was back in denial mode, she refused to recognize any of those facts. Instead, she focused on the present and that meant a great time with a good friend in a wonderful place-- nothing more, nothing less.

The newlywed couple made it back to their suite nearing dark. Clark ordered them a steak dinner in their suite and the meal turned out to be a such a great ending to a wonderful day, that Clark hardly minded the fact that his bed was in the room next to Lois', instead of with her. In fact, he reminded himself he'd better get used to these living arrangements.

Lois was forcefully awakened by a very loud thud from the outer room sometime during the wee hours of the morning. She jumped up in shock and, grabbing her robe, rushed next door, without a thought of how Clark would be dressed. She just knew that something was wrong!

And her gut instinct hadn't failed her, for there on the floor, in a tangled mass of sheets and pillows was her husband, sitting rubbing the sleep from his eyes and gazing dazedly round the room.

"What happened, Clark?" she demanded in her best 'Mad-Dog Lane in pursuit of information' voice.

Clark raised his eyes to her. "I think I must have fallen out of bed," he suggested, but he still sounded a little confused.

"Bed, hah!" she almost barked. "It sounded like you fell from the ceiling!" Even in the dimmed light of the room, she could see he'd turned a guilty shade of red. "Okay, farmboy, are you going to tell me what happened here?"

Clearly Lois wasn't prepared to give up until she knew the truth. "Well, maybe I did," he said quietly, but rushed on as Lois crossed her arms and regarded him with an incredulous look. "It's no big deal, Lois. Sometimes I float in my sleep, and I must have fallen... that's all."

"That's all! You're life is so weird!" But she did uncross her arms and walked closer to him. "What would make you fall, though?"

Clark shrugged and turned his face away from her scrutiny. He didn't have any answers to that one. Could his powers have failed momentarily? He checked his hearing, which seemed to be in order, and his x-ray vision. Staring through the bedroom wall he saw the evidence of Lois' sudden exit from the king-sized bed.

Lois bit at her lip; her thoughts were obviously paralleling Clark's. "Has it happened before?"

"Only when I've been having a nightmare!"

"Were you having one just then?"

"Not that I can remember, but I suppose it's possible."

"Clark, you are feeling okay?" Lois searched Clark's face for any signs that he might be sick, and did she detect a fine sheen of sweat on his skin? But Superman didn't feel the heat. She came closer and placed her hand on his brow.

He let her hand rest there for only a moment before he climbed back onto the sofa. "I'm fine, Lois!" That wasn't exactly the truth; he did feel a little shaky, but he wasn't about to admit that to her. If Lois suspected he was unwell, she'd insist they go back to Metropolis, and he wanted to spend this time alone with her just enjoying themselves. This might be the last vacation time he'd ever have. He tugged at his damp t-shirt and shifted to fluff his pillow.

Lois allowed herself to be only partially reassured as she watched him ready his bed. She wasn't entirely convinced he was all right, but trusted him to let her know if he felt very ill.

"And you're sure?" she asked.

"Yes! Now why don't we both get back to bed and get some sleep?" He was starting to feel a little more settled. "Go on, scoot! We want to get an early start tomorrow; there's a lot for us to see.

"Okay," she gave in reluctantly and started towards the bedroom. "But I might leave the door open a crack, just in case you need me."

A small laugh broke over Clark's face as she disappeared through the door and he listened in to her movements as he heard her crawl into bed.

"Goodnight again, Clark," she called.

"Goodnight, Lois, sleep well!"

Now, with Lois' unease and Clark's sexual tension at sharing a bed removed from the equation, the couple spent the next two days in companionable enjoyment of the amusement park. However, the bedroom door did remain a little way open during the rest of their stay... on Lois' insistence.

They rode the rides, ate the food from the vendors, and played the many games on offer. Clark won Lois about a dozen stuffed animals and she only remembered seeing him as relaxed one other time… when they were in Smallville. And, since Dr Klein had stated that it would be best for Clark's sickness and her ability to conceive for them to live as stress free as possible, she made a mental note to visit her in-laws again soon.

"This has been wonderful," Lois remarked as they made their way toward the exit to the 'Magic Kingdom' on their final evening. They'd decided that morning that it was time to return to Metropolis and to work. Neither was completely happy about that decision, but knew they couldn't stay in Florida permanently.

Lois made a comment about some display that she found fascinating. When Clark didn't reply, she glanced over at him. He'd gone extremely pale and was having trouble breathing. "Clark!"

He stopped and bent to keep from throwing up.

Lois smoothed a hand over his back. "What's wrong? Are you sick?"

"Give me a sec," he ground out. She continued to rub while he struggled to catch his breath. He looked up at Lois with apologetic eyes. "I need to.…"

She nodded and guided him toward a nearby restroom. Not wanting to leave him alone, Lois accompanied him inside, to the curious glances of several passers-by. She didn't notice anyone but Clark at the moment as she pushed the door to a stall open.

Clark dropped to his knees and heaved in relief. Lois never left his side. She placed a damp wad of paper towels on his forehead when he leaned back, and he rested in her arms while he caught his breath.

"I'm sorry," he told her.

She pushed his hair off his head. "Don't you dare."

"I ruined our trip."

Lois looked down at him with a tender smile. "We've had a wonderful trip," she told him.

"Lois… it's only going to get worse."

She leaned forward and placed a kiss on his forehead. "And it's going to get better."

Clark lifted his hand, with much effort, to touch her face. "You're amazing."

"Yeah, well, you'll change your mind once we're back at work and I'm nagging you over a story!"

"Nah." His hand fell to her arm. "Hold me," he whispered.

Lois pulled him closer into her arms while he recovered from his latest bout with the monster that was threatening to take him away from everyone and everything. It took him a few minutes to be able to release her and stand up again.

"How about we get you something to drink?"

"Sounds good," he told her as he went to wash his face and hands. Lois was waiting with a towel when he was done. "Thank you."

"That's my job," she said matter-of-factly.

That made Clark stop to look at her. "I hope you don't think that's why I married you."

"No." She took his towel and continued to wipe him dry. "You married me because I'm incredibly beautiful and charming," she answered him with an impish grin, covering her worried feelings with a tease.

Clark reached to grasp her hand. "You are," he told her.

"Clark Kent, now I know you are sick.... No one thinks I'm charming!"

"I do! Beautiful and charming."

Lois stared at him for a moment before resuming her task. "So are you," she said so quietly, he almost thought he'd dreamt it. Lois also thought she'd dreamt it. What was she doing, blurting out stuff like that? She must have been so scared by Clark being unwell, that she'd wanted to offer him some kind of reassurance. In the future, she'd have to be more careful in her choice of words. It really was too cruel of her to give Clark hope for something she couldn't deliver.

Meanwhile, Clark sighed in contentment, not realising that Lois was biting her tongue, and believing that yet another level of their ever-changing relationship had been reached. They'd told each other countless stories about their respective histories. Clark now knew and understood a little more about what made Lois so skittish about men, while she understood the immense loneliness he had felt as he grew up trying to adjust to why he was so different. Regardless of the misunderstandings and insecurities that still lay between them, they arrived home with their friendship much deeper than it had ever been.