(I hadn't meant to write more than the quickie beginning, but since you liked it so much...)
Nancy

Disguise Failed pt 3

Clark went into the office early in the morning, expecting that the jig was up and everyone would crowd around him to know how he'd done his fabulous feats.

But there was silence from his peers who were working at their desks. Jimmy looked over at him and smiled. "Mornin' CK. Did you read Lois' article?"

His heart was heavy. She'd really done it to him hadn't she. "No."

"It's amazing. This guy's out of this world...I guess literally."

This guy? He received the paper as Jimmy handed it to him. Reading the article in record time, he realized that his identity hadn't been mentioned. His heart did flips. He practically shot out of his skin in whoops of joy. The heavy dread that had hung over him for the last night was blown away by the brilliance of his future.

"Great article." Clark shook his head. "Amazing man."

"Superman." CK corrected him with a smile and a look of calm on his face. He headed over to his desk, checking to make sure his feet were touching the ground.

"KENT!" Perry bellowed as he saw Clark arrive at his desk. "MY OFFICE"

Clark turned on cue and headed toward his editor's office.

"Yes, Mr. White?"

"Perry or Chief."

"Thanks, Chief. What can I do for you today."

"Take a seat, Clark." Perry picked up a typewritten piece of paper and handed it to Clark. "Read this over."

Clark wondered what it was until he read the first paragraph and found his name connected with the man in tights. He quickly read the rest of Lois' article, digesting what had happened.

"I didn't print this, Clark. I had to talk to you first. Somehow, with all the trouble you'd gone to to change your looks, I thought you might have reasons to keep this a secret."

Clark let out a sigh and nodded. "Thank you, Perry. You have no idea how grateful I am that you didn't print this."

Perry stood up and began pacing. "I'm the editor of the most important newspaper in the world, the most respected link between the people and the news. I always demand excellence of my reporters. I want them to get to the bottom of every story, give the facts, and expose the secrets..." he waved his hand and turned to look Clark squarely in the eyes. "But I couldn't print this. I don't know why. I wanted her to get the facts. She did what I asked her. But I knew you." He waved his hand again. "I know, that shouldn't have stopped me. Facts are facts. This isn't a 'pick and choose' game I'm playing here in my office. This is real life. If Franklin Stern..." to Clark's puzzled look he added, "The owner of the paper. If he ever, EVER finds out I pulled this fact, my job is history. My career is as worthless as a smashed Elvis record." He stopped and watched Clark's face. "But I couldn't print it. I know you won't tell Stern. You're the least of my worries." He shot him an awkward smile.

"Thank you, Mr. White. Perry. I...I..." he flashed him an awkward smile. "I'll keep your secret."

Perry extended his hand to Clark. "Then we have an understanding!"

"Yes, sir." Clark marveled at the power this man in front of him commanded, yet his casual demeanor. He was very much like his own father in many ways. He could grow to love this man like a father.

Perry rounded his desk and sat back in his high-backed chair, leaned his elbows on the desk. "But I want you to tell me everything."

"Everything, sir?"

"Well, what it's like. How you got to be like this. Where you come from." He waved his hand again. "If I'm going to be keeping the biggest secret on the planet...or in the Planet...I want to know what it is."

Clark nodded and relaxed in the chair, beginning what was to become a very long conversation with the person that was destined to be one of his best friends and confidants.

Finally, after about an hour, Perry commented. "Now Clark, son, you have to watch out for Lois. She's good. She's the best. But she'll do anything at all for a Pulitzer." He shook his head. "I mean anything. I don't know what's with her, but in your position, she can be very dangerous."

Clark related her visit to his apartment the last evening and her heartfelt apology, then added, "I may be safer than we're fearing, Chief, but you're right. I do have to be careful."

Perry nodded thoughtfully. "You're a good man Clark. You'll do the right thing. Just keep your eyes and ears wide open." Realizing the magnitude of that statement he chuckled. "Okay, you've got that covered!"

"Yes, sir." Clark agreed with a smile.

"Okay, Clark. Well, that about sums it up in here. Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Um, just one thing, Chief. If you could excuse a slew of unexpected absences in my future with the Daily Planet, I'll be glad to provide you with first hand coverage of Superman's work as it unfolds."

"I can see that you'll be missing a lot of time here. But from what you've said, you can write a full page article in seconds. I guess if it would take anyone else on staff a whole day to do what you can do in seconds, the least I can do is excuse a slew of absences." he paused as he leaned back in his chair again. "You know, Lois likes to dangle above the jaws of death. I'm kind of glad to partner you with her so she'll stay alive. She's had my blood pressure rising for years. I may live longer now that you're here to keep her out of trouble."

"Well, Chief. I don't know if I can change her dangling habits, or keep her out of trouble, but I can certainly keep my eye on her." he tipped his head and touched his glasses briefly.

The noise level in the newsroom had risen as they both glanced out the windows. Perry spoke in closing. "I guess this is a big debut day for Superman. I suppose we'll be seeing a lot of LNN pictures of the boy wonder. Good luck. And watch your back. We've got some major crime rings in the city that are going to be looking for every weakness you have."

"Thanks, Chief. So far there aren't any. But time will tell." he stood up and headed to the door. "Except Lois." he muttered under his breath as he touched the door knob.

"Thanks, Clark. And thanks for explaining all the details to me." Clark nodded and left the room.

It's always such an embarrassment. Having to do away with someone. It's like announcing to the world that you lack the savvy and the finesse to deal with the problem more creatively. I mean, there have been times, naturally, when I've had to have people eliminated, but it's always saddened me. I've always felt like I've let myself down somehow.