Disguise failed pt 1

Lois realized it was a bomb, took off the seatbelt and walked across the space shuttle to the device on the wall. Spotting a pair of wire cutters, which miraculously had been left nearby, she cut the thick electrical wires. As she hoped, it caused the system alarm to fire and the flight to be cancelled.

It didn't take a moment before a man entered the room. Lois looked at him in amazement. Clark Kent, the newbie rookie from Nowheresville had burst into the room, looked at her briefly and pulled the unit off the wall.

"What are you 'doing'?" she demanded.

He looked at her, and popped the bomb into his mouth while she watched in horrified disapproval. The bomb exploded, but he only burped.

His little red riding hood outfit was the silliest thing she'd ever seen. "Clark, what are you?" she demanded again.

Naturally, Clark was dismayed that his costume hadn't worked. Why would it? He'd only taken off his glasses. It hadn't been a very good disguise in the first place. But aside from that, Lois Lane didn't miss details. She recognized him right away.

He tried to act like he didn't know her, but it didn't fool her, not for a minute.

They walked outside together and the rest is history. He met Amy, told her his mother made the suit and flew the prometeius up to dock with the space station.

Lois wasn't in the space shuttle this time. Superman landed and asked if she'd like a ride back to work. Dazzled by his handsome appearance, his manner, his kindness and his generosity, she accepted. Somehow, that hack from Nowheresville had risen to somewhere near godhood.

As they flew, he confided in her that he'd like his alter ego to remain a secret if it were possible, so that he could live in Metropolis. She wasn't sure she wanted to stifle a story like that. She'd have to think about it. When he landed in the Daily Planet newsroom with her, she hadn't yet promised to keep his superhero identity separate from his lowlife news reporter status.

A few minutes later when Clark Kent was positioned alongside Lois Lane, watching the news broadcast, she was watching him carefully. She reached over and removed his glasses, jsut as he caught them and pushed them back onto his face.

"No, Lois." His voice was soft and kind but firm. The stern Superman look she'd seen earlier flashed across his face for a moment.

She turned on her heel and headed off to her computer.

TBC
lol

It's always such an embarrassment. Having to do away with someone. It's like announcing to the world that you lack the savvy and the finesse to deal with the problem more creatively. I mean, there have been times, naturally, when I've had to have people eliminated, but it's always saddened me. I've always felt like I've let myself down somehow.