The Lab was quiet as the grave as Dr Klein stared incredulously at his early-morning visitor, so much so that Lois almost found herself touching her head to make sure she hadn't just grown another one. To be honest, she thought she might have to apply mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, as Bernard had nearly passed out when Lois revealed her intention to have Superman's baby in order to save his life. However, once she'd finally convinced the shell-shocked doctor that she was absolutely serious, he'd recovered sufficiently to talk over exactly what the options would be to make the child's conception possible.

With only the odd stutter, Bernie pointed out what the available methods were -- natural, of course, in vitro fertilization, and artificial insemination. Lois gave the list a short review, but opted for artificial insemination when Dr. Klein pointed out that in vitro often resulted in multiple births. She was willing to have this baby, but she didn't want two or three or more. Besides, Klein was of the opinion that the 'K' gene, as he'd dubbed it, was so strong, it was bound to be passed on to a baby and therefore the child would be compatible with Superman.

And natural conception in Lois' opinion was a total non-starter. Throwing an intimate relationship with Clark into the mix, however briefly, just wouldn't be wise. They had enough problems dealing with each other as it was. Plus, you just didn't jump in bed with your friend, no matter what the reason. At least, Lois didn't! She hadn't jumped in bed with anyone lately, not since Claude, and she really had no inclination to repeat the experience. There was also the fact that she still hadn't completely reconciled his identity in her head. Okay, she'd accepted it, only occasionally she just couldn't seem to make up her mind how she felt about it, so adding 'sex' to their already unstable relationship could seriously send her into mental overload.

Since they'd arrived at a plan of action both felt there was no time to lose. Dr Klein drew some blood samples from Lois and she answered several 'cringe-inducing' personal questions, which had paled into insignificance during a very embarrassing physical examination. Her only tiny consolation was that she wasn't sure which one of them had been more mortified.

Bernard, for his part, was barely able to look at Lois, and he studdered through his words as he stumbled through his explanation, completely abashed to be the one asking all the questions. He finally admitted that he was out of his realm, but that he was honoured that Superman, and now Lois, had entrusted him with such an enormous and important task. He assured the young woman he'd do everything possible for them both. *He, like her, was glad that he was able to help and just maybe something he did would result in saving Superman's life. Like her, he was glad to be able to help, and hopefully, between them, they could save Superman's life.

Lois was very relieved when they reached the final procedure, which was to take Lois' temperature and to calculate when her most fertile days would occur. Thank goodness this was a private facility and she and Bernard could set their own agenda. She would have hated to go through all this at some hospital or clinic.

The process took Bernard over three hours and at the end of it, Lois was left feeling battered and numb. Strangely, it had all seemed incredibly impersonal... if you ignored the probing questions and that dreadful exam. Well, she'd have to get used to that if this actually happened. Which led her to wondering if she was doing the right thing. If this actually happened, she'd be someone's mother. Perhaps Clark had a point. Could she do that? Could she nurture another human being?

Yet what choice did she have? Clark was dying. Without her, any chance for him to recover would not be possible. The frightening impact of her dream had spurred her on to do this, but in the calm light of day, reality was setting in. She was really planning to have Clark's baby!

Just like anything else she did in life, she'd jumped into this before she'd thought about it. She'd told Clark it wasn't a snap decision -- that she knew babies could be a lot of work, but that hadn't exactly been the truth. Yet, while she might not have thought through all the details of the situation, there was something inside her that wouldn't let her back down from this. Having this baby was the right thing to do. In Lois' mind, this child already existed. She just had to convince Clark to help breathe life into those tiny lungs.

Lois, finished off straightening her clothes again and returned to Bernie's tiny office to find the doctor studying some figures. "Dr. Klein? Is there something wrong?"

He looked up at Lois like a startled fawn, causing her to wonder just why she had that effect on the poor man. "No, no," he stammered, "everything looks just fine. All we need is Papa's donation and we can get this going."

Lois grimaced at that. She still had to convince Papa, and she had to inform the doctor of this fact. "Hmm, that might be a problem, Dr Klein."

"Why's that?" he enquired conversationally.

"Well, he and I sorta had a disagreement about this. He doesn't think it's such a good idea."

Bernard regarded her wide-eyed, this was beginning to be intriguing. "The baby part or how to make it?"

"The baby, period! He doesn't think I fully realize how serious a business having a baby would be. But, Dr. Klein, I have to do this." Lois took a seat across the desk from Bernard and clasped her hands tightly to still their nervous twisting. "I can't explain it. All I know is that if I don't, and he dies, I would never forgive myself."

"I understand. Believe me, I happen to think what you're doing is fantastic."

"Thank you." Lois smiled wistfully. "But I'm not doing this for thanks."

"I know that!"

"I think he's a little concerned about what everyone would think, too. It's not exactly like we can tell everyone he's sick and I'm having his baby to save his life."

"Lois, you're not going to tell anyone you're having Superman's baby?" Klein looked totally horrified. "That could be very dangerous for you and the baby. If word of that got out, you could both become targets for any villain who wanted to control Superman or madman who had a grudge against him!"

"Oh no! Definitely not!" Lois had to remind herself that the doctor wasn't in on Clark's secret identity. Actually, that point wasn't too difficult to solve as everyone would be told that Clark Kent was the father -- after all, many of the Planet staff were already aware of Clark's illness. But then, the doctor hadn't been informed that the two men were one yet... that was something else that needed to be addressed. Meanwhile, Klein was looking at her with a troubled expression. "Don't worry about that, Doctor. It really won't be a problem. My biggest hurdle will be to persuade Superman to take me up on my offer."

"Well, that may be where you have to get creative."

"What?" Now it was Lois' turn to look at the doctor as if he'd grown two heads. Somehow she'd never envisaged discussing her intimate plans with the 'nutty professor'. Still, right about now, she was grateful for any friendly ear.

"Think about it, Lois. Maybe he still can't believe that his life will be saved, even if you do have the baby. Maybe he sees everything he does from now on as the last chance he'll ever get to do those things. He might want more than just a cold, sterile conception for his child."

"I hadn't thought of that."

Bernard leaned across the desk, warming to his subject. "Lois, he may be dying and he may be Superman, but this would still be his child. He wouldn't necessarily see it as his savior."

Lois knew he was right. After all, Clark had said as much this morning. This would be Clark's first child. She had a fair notion that he thought it would be his only child. Why would he want to have one this way?

To save his life, she reminded herself. Perhaps Clark was the one who needed reminding of that, but he just didn't view it that way. Bernie had got it in one! Clark would never think of having a child merely as a method to cure him of a terminal disease. He'd told her this was an idiotic reason. To Clark, a baby would always be a precious gift -- a living, breathing little person in its own right. She would have to get very creative about this if she was going to convince him this was the right thing to do.

"Do you have any suggestions, as a man, on how I could sway his decision on this?"

Bernie scratched his head for a few moments, wondering how he could put this delicately. "I suppose I know Superman better than most, but I'm not very good at close relationships... and I doubt that Superman is either. I mean, he and I don't really socialize. Though the little I've seen of the man tells me he's a special person... but he's also a man, a young, red-blooded man. You have to remember this would be his child, quite possibly his only child." Lois almost smiled as the doctor echoed her thoughts. "Maybe, he'd want something a little more... personal as far as conception is concerned."

"Are you suggesting I… offer him an old fashioned conception?"

Bernie shrugged. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm just saying you should find out if he even wants this child to exist. If he does, then consider all your options. I personally think conceiving naturally is always your best option. And with time running so short, you don't want to spend too much time debating the issue. I'd be happier if you could get pregnant before he loses his powers. We're in uncharted territory here, and I'm not totally sure whether the 'K' gene would become recessive and therefore not be passed on."

Lois leaned forward to grasp the desk, her knuckles showing white with tension. She had no problems with conceiving with the help of medical technology, but physically? Lois baulked at the idea! This was Clark they were talking about and she was back to the recurring question. Could she be intimate with someone she considered only as a friend? But what if it was the only way.... She stopped halfway through that thought. Did it matter how the child was conceived as long as the end result was that Superman recovered?

In fact, if she was being truthful, she'd have to admit that only a few months back, she'd have been over the moon at the prospect of Superman sharing her bed.... And if she was playing the honesty card, she also had to take into account that seeing Clark in just a towel, that first time in the Apollo Hotel, had raised her temperature a few degrees. But it was all so much more complicated now... not to mention a little egotistical on her part! I mean she didn't even know if Clark felt that way about her... though she had her suspicions.

And what happened if they conceived that way and he did recover? What then? Would they have problems being around each other afterwards? An evil thought crossed her mind and she couldn't restrain a naughty grin. What happened if they did conceive naturally and she found out sex with Clark was something she wasn't adverse to? It could be a chance to fulfill some of those Superman fantasies... and she'd definitely find out how the 'suit' came off!

<Can it, Lois. This is serious…> she admonished herself, but it did shed a more enticing aspect on the whole situation.

Lois quashed her wayward thoughts, thanked Dr Klein and left. She'd have to rethink this a little.... Okay, a lot!

Lois got back to the newsroom to discover a number of staffers grouped round the various TV screens, watching an ongoing emergency. The complex man in her thoughts was negotiating a stand off with a very nervous teen who had shot some of his classmates and was threatening to kill himself. Superman was trying to talk the young boy out of what he was doing. Ironic, Lois thought. 'You're a walking time bomb trying to save another one.'

She turned to see Martha emerge from Perry's office, which did surprise Lois as Clark hadn't mentioned his mother was visiting. The older woman smiled as she approached her desk.

"Lois. How are you?"

Lois smiled back and rose to accept her offered hug. "I'm fine. How are you?"

"I guess I've seen better days," Martha admitted quietly.

Lois could see that Martha had indeed spoken the truth. The woman looked tired and she seemed to lack her usual sparkle. "You probably have," Lois said sympathetically, realising that she wasn't the only one who was dreading the loss of Clark. "Got time for a coffee?"

"Sure." The woman looked gratefully at Lois as she led the way into the conference room.

A few minutes later they'd settled on opposite sides of the table at the far end of the room and were sharing coffee and conversation. This was the first time Lois had talked to Martha since she'd discovered the family secret, and Clark had told her that his parents knew that she was no longer on the outside looking in.

"What brings you to the city?" Lois ventured, feeling fairly apprehensive. Clark might have assured her that his parents were glad she finally knew, but that didn't calm the butterflies that were fluttering around in her stomach.

The older woman smiled, recognising the taut lines round Lois' mouth. "Well, first I'd like to welcome you to the family. Jonathan and I are really happy that you're in on the secret." Martha drew the 'S' sign on her chest to show exactly what she meant. "It's good to know he has someone in his corner looking out for him."

Lois blushed, thinking of the times when her short-tempered outbursts could hardly be described as 'looking out for Clark'. Yet it seemed that Clark had forgotten to mention these incidents to his parents. "I do try, Martha!"

"I'm sure you do, my dear!" The younger woman's flushed face wasn't lost on Martha, and she was sure there'd been a few lively confrontations between Lois and her son. Knowing this fiesty young lady, she expected nothing less and it didn't bother her in the slightest. In fact, Martha was of the opinion that it had probably done her son some good. Sometimes, she felt his self-imposed isolation was unhealthy. But that wasn't her chief concern at present. "And, of course, I wanted to make sure Clark was taking care of himself. His dad and I worry about him, and he hasn't been home since he told us about the disease getting worse."

"Yeah. He just told me last night." Lois' voice developed an edge. Was there a chance that she might have found an ally?

"Clark can be so stubborn."

"Tell me about it." Lois stayed silent for a second, determined to create an effect. She hated playing games like this, but, in this case winning was crucial. "Did you know there's a way for him to get better?"

"What?" Martha sat up straighter, her interest immediately caught by anything that could give her a little hope for her son's survival.

The reaction was just what Lois was looking for, and she continued more gently. "Dr. Klein told him that a bone marrow transplant could save him."

"But how is that possible? Don't bone marrow donors have to be compatible with the recipient? He's not like everyone else." Martha threw a searching glance at Lois. "I thought you understood that?"

"I do! That's the only glitch. He'd have to find someone else from wherever he comes from, and, as we know that's not possible...." Lois paused again, only this time because she was unsure of how to say the next part. As it was, she just dived right in. "He'd have to... father a child."

"What?"

"Yeah. The doctor believes a child, even a half Earthling child, would have enough of the genes that make Clark super to reverse the disease."

"Incredible!" Martha sat very still, her brow creased in concentration, trying hard to come to terms with this information. "We always wondered if he could even father a child with an Earth woman."

"According to Dr Klein, that part seems to be totally normal. Only one DNA marker separates Kryptonians from Earthlings."

Martha stared down at her coffee. Finally she chuckled softly. "He can't advertise for something like this, huh?"

Lois smiled back at her. She was once again reminded of why she liked Martha so much--they were so alike. "I said the same thing." They shared a short laugh, easing a lot of the tension. Then Lois dropped her bombshell. "That's why I offered to do it."

That remark halted Martha's laughter immediately and her face went blank. She stared wide-eyed and open mouthed at the younger woman.

"Can you believe it, he accused me of being shallow enough to offer just to save Superman. I slapped his face."

If it were possible, Martha's eyes opened even wider and she snorted. Only she wasn't sure which astounded her most -- her son's obtuseness, Lois' punitive response, or the proposition itself. After taking a second or so to compose herself, she leaned over the table. "May I ask you, why did you offer?"

The older lady didn't want Lois to think she was prying, yet she felt the answer was important as to whether the young couple should go ahead with this proposal. But for all that, she couldn't totally crush her instinctive surge of hope. Clark was her son and she loved him dearly. The prospect of life without him was destroying her.

"I went to his apartment last night," Lois started her narrative slowly, very much aware that she needed to gain Martha's support. She couldn't see Clark agreeing if he felt his mother disapproved. "I held him while he cried and told me he didn't want to die. The most powerful man on this planet shook in fear. When I went to sleep I dreamed of his funeral. That was awful. And I dreamt of you and Jonathan and how much you'd hurt if Clark died. It was so realistic and horrible that I woke up hardly able to breathe. You have no idea the relief I felt when I realised it was only a nightmare. Then I dreamt of this tiny little person who could possibly stop all this from happening. One choice separates us all from losing someone very dear to our hearts."

Weird! That was the first time she'd ever admitted out loud that Clark could mean more to her than just a good friend. But then, in her heart, she'd always known that he was her 'best' friend and she'd never really had one of those before... she was just realising how very precious they were.

Of course, someone who knew about the secret identity and everything involved with it, such as Martha, could easily assume Lois had made the comment about Superman and not Clark. After all, wasn't that what Clark had done? Inwardly, she wanted to scream. This dual identity thing was messing about with her brain and it only appeared to be getting worse.

"Lois, honey, we're not talking about a puppy here. A baby is very serious business."

If Martha had noticed Lois' inner battle, she didn't indicate a thing.

"I know it is. But so is Clark's life." She wiped at the tear that had found its way down her cheek. "I'm willing to sacrifice the rest of my life to save his, even if no one else feels it's a good idea."

Martha sat silently watching, as the younger woman struggled with her emotions. This was taking a toll on Lois, too. She wasn't sure if what had been suggested was such a good idea, but the fear for her son's life was ever present. Part of her wanted to tell Lois she agreed wholeheartedly and to suggest they start immediately. Yet the less emotional side of her wanted to shake some sense into Lois. If only Lois didn't see her whole involvement as a sacrifice. Before she could say anything though, Lois was talking again.

"This morning, I went to Star Labs and talked to Dr. Klein. You should have seen his face -- I was sure he was about to have a coronary. Don't worry, though. I didn't tell him anything other than I wanted to help Superman." At Martha's mesmerised nod, Lois plunged on. "Okay, we went through the options and I decided that artificial insemination would be best. You don't know how much of an embarrassing conversation that was, I mean, with Dr Klein... not to mention the rest!" Her nervous babble was in full flow. "Anyway, he took some blood and did a preliminary work up. All I have do now is convince Clark to go through with this."

Martha found herself starting to laugh with something close to hysteria, causing Lois to regard her with dread. "I'm sorry, dear," she told her when she caught her breath. "It's just that this is all so overwhelming. If I don't laugh, I'm afraid I'll cry."

"That's exactly why I want to do this."

"But, Lois, a baby? And to conceive in such a manner."

"I've thought about that, too. I do know what kind of responsibility this would be. As for the conception, I don't think we should make matters worse by throwing a sexual relationship we're not ready for into the mix. After all, Clark and I aren't exactly a couple in that sense." Martha's brows rose into her hair -- that was the biggest part of the problem. "I think everyone would have a hard enough time with the actual pregnancy. But I'll do this any way Clark wants to do it, as long as he will." Lois reached over and covered Martha's hand with her own. "Martha, it would also be your grandchild."

A grandchild! There was nothing that would give Martha more joy, but these weren't the ideal circumstances. Besides, Lois and Clark were the important people here. "And your child. Could you raise a baby with Clark?" Martha held Lois' eyes in a searching stare. "I suspect you still haven't really reconciled his identity in your head."

Oh no, Clark always said that he couldn't get anything past his mother and it seemed as if Lois wasn't faring any better. Yet Lois was nothing if she wasn't tenacious and she pushed her point home one more time. "If I don't do it, Clark will die. Does it really matter which one I care most about... I mean, how could I care for one and not the other! They're the same person and we're going to lose them both." Lois whispered. For her that fact was so much worse, and if she could do anything to prevent it, she would.

Martha leaned forward and took both of Lois' hands. Underneath the confusion, Martha sensed that Lois cared a lot more for her son than perhaps she even knew herself. And Martha had never really approved of Clark's obsession with seeing himself and Superman as separate identities. He was neither the mild-mannered reporter nor the superhero, but a wonderful amalgam of the two, and Martha had a sneaking suspicion that Lois had started down that road of discovery.

Mind you, she still didn't know if this was the right thing to do, but if Lois was determined to do it, she realised that even Superman wouldn't be able to resist her.

"Okay, Lois, I can't say that I totally agree with you yet, but I do understand why you want to do this and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for caring enough. If Clark decides to do this, then I'll support you both in every way I can."

So, it wasn't the 'across the board' backing that Lois had hoped for, but she was willing to accept any encouragement. She returned Martha's hand squeeze, as both sat smiling tearfully at each other. Above them on the TV screen, Superman's rescue wrapped up and he took to the skies, blissfully unaware of the alliance that had been reached by the two most important women in his life.

Clark had wanted to head to Star Labs to see what kind of scheme Lois was planning, but the hostage situation at the school had been too intense to leave, but a young man was still alive because of his efforts. With so many things going wrong for Clark these days, it felt really good to make such a positive difference.

He had flown by to talk to Dr. Klein and had been very shocked to find out that Lois had indeed been there to discuss conceiving a child. Not only that, she'd given blood and all the initial tests had been performed in preparation for possible insemination and conception of his child. This time it was Clark's turn to be blown away by a revelation!

Sure, he'd known Lois was serious about having a child for him when she mentioned it this morning, but he'd also decided she'd think it through and realize that the whole idea was actually way out of her league. But apparently she was extremely intent about following it through. Of course, he hadn't said yes and she could hardly manage this on her own.

Deciding there was little he could do at the minute, he headed home, flying pretty much on instinct as he contemplated his partner's obduracy. He could tell he was in for a rough ride over the next few weeks. Clark's acute sense of smell picked up some very appealing aromas coming from inside his apartment when he arrived. A glance inside told him why.

"Mom?" Clark smiled genuinely at his mom as he made his way down into the living room. Somehow life never seemed to be so bad when she was around. His mother was busy cooking, but looked up to return his smile, blinking back the tears which often threatened these days when she saw her son.

"What are you doing here?" He gave her a warm hug.

"I came to see if my boy was okay."

"You didn't have to do that."

"Yes, I did. You haven't been home in weeks." Martha sounded, unusually, just a tiny bit complaining.

"I'm sorry. I've been tired a lot more lately."

"I know. Now sit." She turned back to the stove and served him up some of her stew. "You probably could do with a good meal!"

"This is great," he said as he took his first bite. Martha settled across from him with a bowl of her own. "How long can you stay?"

"A week. Wayne Irig's youngest boy is home from the navy and he's giving your dad a hand."

"Oh, how is Tad?" Clark asked conversationally.

"He's good! Really liking life as a sailor, which is surprising since he grew up on a farm miles from the ocean. Still, look at you... you didn't settle for life in Smallville either!"

"Well, maybe farming isn't in my blood. Who knows if they even had farms on Krypton?" Clark laughed.

"I'm sure they did! It was probably a lot like Earth, if you're anything to go by.... Aren't Kryptonians human too?"

That killed that particular conversation and they ate in silence for several moments. His mother could have heard that fact from only one of two people.

"I had a talk with a friend of yours today," Martha said, confirming Clark's suspicions. He glanced up at her. "She's really worried about you."

"Lois? I know." Clark shoved another bite into his mouth. "She's stubborn, too." His mom gave him a 'look who's talking' glare. He dropped his gaze but kept speaking. "I guess she told you what she wants to do?"

"She did."

Clark placed his napkin on the table and sighed, giving a fair imitation of one who was long suffering. "You know she actually went to Star Labs and got Bernard to do the initial evaluation for having a test-tube baby?" Martha nodded that she did know. "Thank God she has a knack for calming down once she's had time to think things through. Tomorrow she'll have realized just how insane her suggestion is." He poked his spoon around in his stew, finding himself a little less relieved than he might have been at his assumption.

"It's possible she already has," Martha suggested, feeling very ambivalent about that prospect. At the same time, she recognized she wasn't being totally honest with her son .

"Thank goodness."

"Yeah," Martha continued as she buttered a biscuit. "She said she and Dr. Klein had a long talk, and he pointed out that you might see this as your one and only chance to ever have a child, so you might not want to conceive that child through such a sterile process."

"He did what?! That's not exactly what I had in mind when I said Lois would see that the idea was crazy. I meant the entire idea, not just the insemination procedure!"

Martha ignored Clark's outburst and smiled helpfully. "Lois is prepared to be flexible. She told me that, although she felt a sexual relationship thrown into this mix might be a little too much, she didn't care how this baby was conceived. She'd do this any way you wanted to."

Clark was beyond shocked. He couldn't form a coherent sentence, so he stared at his mother, his mouth opening and closing in disbelief. The look in her eyes told him she was actually considering this to be an option. "Mom, I can't… sleep with Lois and, and… make a baby."

"Why not?"

"Mom!" He got up like a scalded cat and took his bowl to the sink.

"Clark, Lois is so determined to do this. Why won't you even consider it?"

"How can you?" he asked as he spun around to her.

Martha shot to her feet. "How can I? Because it could save my son's life that's how!"

Clark took a step back. His mother was heaving to catch her breath. She was mad, madder than Clark had ever seen her. Yet he recognised that her anger was only a cover for a totally different emotion. "Whoa… Mom. I didn't mean to upset you... but I seem to be doing that a lot these days."

"I didn't mean to get so upset," she said in a calmer tone. "But Clark, you will die if you don't do this." Her eyes pleaded with him desperately to understand her feelings.

Son and mother stared at each other for long moments, each silently acknowledging the uncertain dread which dogged their daily lives. Finally, it was Clark who gave way. "And what if I do? What happens afterward? How do I just go through the mechanics of... intercourse with Lois. Lois, Mom! I can't... do... that without it meaning something."

"Then tell her."

"Tell her what?"

"Clark Kent, don't you play silly games with me. Remember who you're talking to.... I know exactly how you feel about Lois!"

"That's not what she wants. She doesn't have those kinds of feelings for me."

"Maybe this would change that," Martha hinted hopefully.

"Mom! I don't want her to have feelings for me because of some physical release. That wouldn't be real. I just can't do it." Clark turned back to the sink.

"Clark, it would be real, and it could ultimately save your life."

"My life isn't worth ruining Lois'."

"Lois doesn't see it that way! She's willing to make this sacrifice for you." The minute the words left Martha's lips, she almost groaned in frustration. In her anguish to convince Clark to at least try for a cure, she'd been less wise than she normally was.

"See, sacrifice!" he exclaimed as he faced his mother again. "That implies that Lois is giving something up! And what happens once the baby saves my life? How would we go back to a normal relationship after having sex out of necessity?"

"Then go through artificial insemination."

"And if we did? What will she feel for our child? How would I know she felt a connection to that child? Would she want it if I lived, or would she want me to take it and go away? Would she want me to have anything to do with it at all?" Clark stuck his hands in his pockets to keep them still, while his anxieties poured forth like an underground stream bubbling to the surface.

Martha's heart broke for her son. He was the most caring soul she'd ever known and he loved life so much. This had to be hard for him. But apart from his sorrow at his impending death, she recognised the guilt he carried around with him constantly, that very soon now he would have to give up his role as protector of this world. In some sense he had to be pleased that there was a chance he could carry on fulfilling this self-imposed duty, which his special gifts had placed on him. Yet, he was also a very moral young man. How could he reconcile his wish for self-preservation with the risk of bringing a child into the world which could so easily be hurt? She had to help him work his way through this.

"Oh, honey, of course Lois would care and she wouldn't keep you from your child. You'd both raise it. She and I talked about all that. Clark, Lois has really given this a lot of thought. She wants to do this. I may not agree with it fully either, but the fact still remains that this may be the only way to save your life."

Clark sighed and turned to run some water in the sink, then started to wash up the dinner dishes. It was his way of working through his own thoughts. His mom was probably right. Lois might be stubborn, uncompromising and often too fiery for her own good, but when she calmed down, she was always fair. She wouldn't expect him to ignore his baby.

But this was crazy. How could he just have sex with Lois to make a baby? Simple. He doubted he could. Okay, so what about creating the child artificially? Was that fair to the baby? Granted, a child was no less real just because it was created in a laboratory. But didn't the little life that would exist deserve to be created because it was wanted instead of being needed? Didn't it deserve two loving parents that would work together for its benefit?

Lois… sex with Lois. While that wasn't a terrible thought for him, the fact she'd be doing it without feeling was beyond terrible. He'd be sharing his body with her in the most intimate of all expressions, while for her it would just be a means to an end. He loved Lois. How could he just… force her into doing something she really wasn't comfortable with? How could she want him to? He knew the answer to that one... she didn't, she was just willing to sacrifice herself!

When he was done cleaning the kitchen, he leaned against the counter to face his mother, a tiny penitent smile touching the corners of his mouth. Despite all the reasons why they shouldn't do this, he couldn't help but find the offer very compelling. "We'd have to tell Bernard."

"I know."

He sighed again, straightened and spun into his suit. "I have to do a patrol." It was way past his regular time and he needed the fresh air. Maybe it would clear his head.

"Okay." Martha's hair was whipped about as he left the apartment. She understood this was his way of straightening out Lois' offer in his mind. While that offer was admittedly radical, the mother in her couldn't help but want her son to do everything humanly possible to save his life. But she knew this was his decision to make. Clark couldn't do this just to satisfy her, or his father, or even Lois. He had to do it for himself as well. She echoed Clark's heartfelt sigh as she made her way over to the sofa and dropped heavily on the cushions. Hopefully he'd figure something out tonight.