Giant Killer: 9/?
by Nancy Smith and Linda Garrick

Julia was hungry. They had been flying eastward for nearly eight hours now and it was broad daylight. Her chronometer told her uselessly that it was 2300 hours, Riskell time.

"Ze United Kingdom iss ahead," Dannar said.

Julia peered ahead, squinting at the distant horizon. Sure enough, she could see a dark line rising from the blue of the ocean. She took a deep breath, glancing again at Dannar. During the past hours, she had pondered the pros and cons of taking him with her. If she was indeed heading for an Underground station, it seemed terribly risky to bring him along. Perhaps she could arrange to meet him somewhere after she had been to Finnian's Imports, wherever that was. Really, she knew so little about what she was doing. What *was* Finnian's Imports? And would Alan really be there?

"Shulia," Dannar said.

"What?"

"Zere iss a car following uss."

Julia looked back and her heart jerked uncomfortably. Sure enough, some distance back another aircar, colored an odd combination of blue, white and gold, appeared to be matching their speed and direction. "That's not a Patrol car."

"It iss a cop car," Dannar said.

"You mean -- the police?"

"Yess."

"But why are they following us?"

"We are in a sstolen car," Dannar reminded her. "No doubt, ze zeft hass been reported by now."

"OF course." Julia rubbed her sweating palms together. "Will they turn us over to the Jilectans?"

"If zey realize who we are, zey certainly will. Ze Terran police are very intimidated by ze Shils."

"They'll know who we are, all right," Julia said. "Or who *I* am, anyway." She paused, biting her lower lip. The decision had been made for her, now. She couldn't keep Dannar with her. If they caught her, the Jils would read her mind and discover that he had been aiding her. He would die in the execution chair with her. Therefore, he would now become her enemy again, even if he *had* been planning to assist her up until now. And she must assume that he was having the same thoughts.

The Arcturian was watching her, his face unreadable. Julia lifted the stunner, covering him.

His eyes flicked once to the weapon, but his expression didn't change. She knew then that his thoughts had been similar to her own.

"If you make a false move," she said, "I'll stun you, and if I'm taken, you'll be taken with me."

He inclined his head slightly. "I understand." His voice was very low.

She glanced down. "Where are we?"

"Over Ireland."

"Is that where Dublin is?"

He didn't glance at her. "Yes."

"Good. Take us down."

For a second, he didn't reply. "Dublin iss on ze far shore."

"All right. Take us across."

A red light appeared on the roof of the pursuing car and Julia heard the wail of a siren.

"I would guess," Dannar said softly, "zat ziss vehicle hass been identified."

Julia nodded. "Take us down as soon as you can."

"I will." The aircar started to lose altitude. The siren wailed again.

In spite of the danger behind, Julia felt a sudden need to explain. "Dan, please understand me. If you're taken with me, you'll die too. I don't know if you were planning to join the Underground or not. Maybe you were lying to get more information about the Underground to give to the Jils. I don't know. But I like you, and I don't want us to part enemies. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?"

"I undersstand everyzing, Shulia," he said gravely. "And I zank you from ze bottom of my heart. You could never be my enemy."

Julia swallowed, feeling again the tears stinging her eyes. She blinked them back. "Then listen to me. When we land, I want you to go. Get away from me and head for the police. Tell them you planned to betray me, whether you did or not. It's the only way to save yourself."

He inclined his head. "I know ziss. But --"

"No time for buts." She glanced back. The police car was gaining on them, its siren growing louder. "Just do as I say."

"Very well."

The aircar settled gently between two buildings. Julia waved the stunner. "Go, Dan! Hurry!"

His strange, yellow eyes locked for a moment with hers. Then, in a single, fluid motion, he had opened the car door and was out. She saw him sprint down the alley, away from her. Quickly, Julia climbed out and ran in the opposite direction.

Across a crowded parking area she ran. The pursuing aircar had changed course and was coming after her. A large, white building loomed before her and Julia went up the steps three at a time. Somewhere, a church bell was tolling. It was two o'clock.

The building was jammed with people. Julia plunged forward between the masses of humanity, painfully aware that her appearance was attracting attention. Glancing quickly back, she saw a man in a blue and white uniform with a trim of gold at the collar and sleeves -- the same colors as the aircar, an irrelevant part of her mind noted absently -- enter the building, look around and spot her. He started toward her, pushing his way forcefully through the crowd.

"Stop!" he shouted. "Police!"

Faces turned to stare at her and she brandished the stunner before her. "Get out of my way!"

Somebody screamed and the crowd gave way. Julia plunged forward, stumbled over someone's foot and nearly fell. The stunner flew from her hand and she grabbed for it frantically. Something hit her hard between the shoulder blades, knocking the breath from her lungs. She went to her knees, gasping.

Hands caught her arms, yanking her to her feet, and handcuffs clicked on her wrists. Julia lifted her head and the face of the police officer swam before her. For a moment he stared, uncomprehending, and then his eyes widened with recognition.

"Let me go!" Julia pleaded hopelessly. "Don't take me to them! They'll kill me!"

"Good lord!" It was one of the onlookers. "That's Julia Austell!"

There was a concerted gasp from the crowd as her name was revealed, and she heard excited whispers.

"That's the little gal that killed the Jils!" "Yeah, sure! That's her, all right!" "Oh, the poor kid!"

The police officer had her by the arm. "Come on, Miss Austell. Let's go."

"No!" Julia tried to jerk her arm free. "Don't take me to them!" She heard her voice rising hysterically. "Please!" She turned her head frantically toward the crowd of onlookers. "The Patrol killed my whole family, and everyone else on the Embassy staff! It wasn't a fire! I was away, or I'd have been killed, too! I came back and saw it! They set the fire to hide what they'd done!" She turned to look at the police officer who was gripping her arm. The man's face was an expressionless mask. "They came after me, to kill me, too. I shot those Jils while I was trying to get away! Please don't give me to them!"

The crowd had fallen deathly silent, watching her. There was a pause, and then the onlookers moved forward, almost as one, hemming the two of them in. A young, very muscular man spoke. "Let her go, officer."

The police officer drew his blaster. "Stay back, all of you!"

An ominous silence answered him. The crowd edged forward, all eyes fixed on the man holding her. They were going to help her, Julia realized incredulously. These were Terrans -- true Terrans -- most of them born and bred on Earth. They must hate the oppression of the Jilectans even more than those who lived on the aliens' worlds -- probably because they were less accustomed to it. She felt a thrill of pride, intermixed with wonder. Before, she had been fleeing alone, but now, when all seemed lost, help came from a completely unexpected source: her own people.

"Let her go, officer," the young man said again. "We aren't letting you take her to the Jils. You might shoot one or two of us, but when you do the rest of us will get you. Let her go."

"Stay back!" the man barked. His face was pale, Julia saw. It was even possible she thought, that he didn't want to do this either. He was a Terran, after all, but his duty demanded that he take her in.

A second officer appeared in the doorway. "What's going on in here?"

Three men jumped him at once. There was the sound of a scuffle and the crack of a skull striking tiles, and then silence.

The man holding Julia fired. A stunbolt hummed and a man sank to the floor. There was a sudden flurry of movement. She had a confused glimpse of bodies surging toward her; then she was pushed to the floor, her face against the cold marble. Above her she could hear the sounds of a struggle and the blaster clattered to the tiles. Somebody scooped it up and somebody else yelped in pain, and once more she heard the hum of stunner fire. The tiny hairs on her arm prickled with the static discharge of a near-miss by a stunbolt. Suddenly, several pairs of hands were hauling her upright.

Julia became aware that arms were encircling her. Men were rising to their feet, looking smug and satisfied. Her captor was sprawled face down on the floor, but Julia could see that he was breathing.

The man who had led the assault turned toward her, dusting his hands lightly together. "You okay, Miss?"

She managed to nod, glancing once more at the man on the floor. Someone bent over him, went through his belt pouches and produced a set of keys. "Here, see if these'll work."

The young man took the keys and unfastened the handcuffs. He too glanced at their victim. "He'll be okay, Miss; he's just stunned. We didn't hurt him." He dropped the handcuffs to the floor and kicked them over beside their owner. He regarded Julia for a moment in silence and then bent and kissed her on the lips.

The crowd roared with delight. Somebody shouted, "Three cheers for the Giant Killer!"

Another roar from the mob. A woman's voice yelled, "Come on! Let's get her out of here before any more cops show up!"

The crowd closed protectively about her and she was swept rapidly out of the building and down the long flight of steps. The church bell tolled quarter past the hour.

They were halfway down the block when a voice screamed, "Patrol!"

Instantly, the crowd broke up, fleeing in all directions. Julia's wrist was grasped firmly by her muscular friend. "Hurry!" he snapped. "Run!"

Julia needed no urging. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the squad of black and scarlet clad patrolmen approaching at a trot and somewhere an aircar hummed. Julia and her companion dashed across a street, surrounded by their fleeing comrades and ran headlong down a sidewalk. Behind her, she heard stunbolts and the screams of citizens.

They reached a corner and rounded it. Julia's companion dropped her wrist. "That way!" He pointed down a littered alley. "Hurry! I'll lead them the other way."

Julia obeyed. She dashed down the alley, turned right at the end and found herself in an adjoining alley. Again she ran and turned left.

There was a wall before her -- dead end. She ran up to it and jumped.

It was high, but her fingers touched the top. She lost her hold and fell back. Footsteps sounded in the alley behind her.

"Hold it!" a voice barked in Basic.

She jumped a second time and her fingers caught the top, hooking over it. She scrambled upward.

A hand caught her by the coat, yanking her backward. She fell, almost into the patrolman's arms, and felt them encircle her in a vise-like grip. She twisted frantically, kicking backward. Her heel struck something and there was a grunt of pain. The man spun her around and hit her hard across the mouth, knocking her to the pavement. A heavy weight landed on top of her and hands caught her wrists, yanking them behind her. She heard the clank of restrainers.

And abruptly the hands released her wrists. The patrolman was jerked backwards and she heard the scuffle of struggling bodies. Julia rolled over, trying to catch her breath, seeing only a tangle of arms and legs through a swimming blur.

She blinked, trying to clear her vision. It was Dannar, she realized incredulously. He and the patrolman rolled on the ground, each fighting to get a firm grip on his adversary. The patrolman was big, but the Arcturian was almost as large, and obviously stronger. There was a flurry of motion and a sudden snapping sound.

Dannar got to his feet with a quick, lithe motion, bent and flicked off the helmet communicator, methodically appropriated the man's blaster, and turned to her. "Are you all right, Shulia?"

"Yes," she gasped.

"Good. Come wiz me, now." He hoisted her to her feet one-handed and half-carried her back down the alley.

As they turned into the adjoining alley, Julia saw the police aircar. Dannar strode over to it, opened the passenger door and helped her inside. An instant later, he was behind the controls. The vehicle soared smoothly upward and they leveled off above the buildings.

A tissue landed in her lap. "Your lip iss bleeding, Shulia," Dannar said.

Julia pressed the tissue to her mouth. Her hands were shaking. "Thank you," she whispered.

He was looking at her and she saw the white flash of fangs. "You are certainly welcome."

She leaned back in the seat, closing her eyes. For a long time, there was no sound but the soft purr of the aircar. At last, she straightened up, turning to Dannar again. The Arcturian was still watching her, his expression unreadable.

"Are you certain zat you are all right, Shulia?" he inquired.

She nodded. "I'm fine. Dannar --"

"Yess, Shulia?"

"Why?"

His reply was perfectly sober. "Because you are my friend. Arcturians are alwayss loyal to zeir friends."

Slowly, the impact of his words reached her. "But -- I don't understand."

"What do you not undersstand?"

"What qualifies *me* to be your friend?"

"You ssaved my life."

"I owed you that, though."

"Perhapss. But at ze time, you zought zat I had betrayed you. You had no reasson to rissk your life for mine, and yet you did." He paused. "Besidess, if our positions had been reverssed a moment ago, would you not have tried to ssave me?"

"Of course I would."

"Zat iss what I zought," Dannar said. "And zat iss what makess you my friend."

"Oh," Julia said.

The Arcturian brought the aircar down into an alley and turned off the engine. "Besidess," he said, "I alsso had a selfish motive."

"What?"

He showed his teeth in a wide grin. "I believe you are here on Terra to meet ssomeone who belongs to ze Terran Underground."

"And if I am?"

"Zen I would like to meet ziss person azz well."

She nodded slowly. "You really *do* want to join, don't you?"

"I really do want to shoin, Shulia."

She nodded again. "All right. I guess I can't doubt you any longer, can I?"

"I do not see how."

Julia found herself laughing a little hysterically. "You crazy Arcturian! How the dickens did you manage to steal a police car?"

"It wass not difficult," he said blandly. "Ze ssecond officer to enter ze courthouse very kindly dropped ze keys when he encountered your rescuerss. I had followed you, zinking zat you might need help. You came out, and I zought zat perhapss I wass mistaken."

Julia nodded, still slightly incredulous at all the events that had occurred in so short a time. "They helped me," she said. "Because of what happened on Riskell."

"Ah, yess." The Arcturian nodded, apparently unsurprised. "Zat iss what I zought. Ze anti-Shil feeling iss very strong on Terra. Terranss are very much like Arcturians in ssome respects. In any case," he continued, "I took ze keyss and returned to ze aircar, while watching you. Zen ze Patrol arrived. Zat fellow pursued you, and I realized zat you were not going to be able to elude him. So I intervened."

Julia nodded, somewhat bemused at Dannar's matter-of-fact recital. "Thank you," she said again.

"You are mosst welcome." The Arcturian sighed and stretched his arms over his head. "Ah, ziss hass been a very good day's work! And now, my friend, shall we get on wiz ze business at hand?"

Julia smiled. "I guess so." She peered cautiously out the window. "I'll have to get an address from the local datanet service. Is there a phone anywhere around?"

Dannar pressed a button on the dashboard and a small screen lit up. "We can tie in wiz ze city datanet from here." He punched the universal code for the datanet into the unit.

A computerized voice spoke in English. "Datanet Service."

Julia spoke into the unit. "Location of Finnian's Imports, please."

The little screen flickered and displayed a city map. A point of light glowed near an intersection of two streets and a computer printout appeared across the bottom of the screen.

Dannar didn't speak. Julia glanced around, looking for landmarks. "Where are we, anyhow?"

The Arcturian leaned forward, placing the tip of a talon on the map. "Here."

Julia studied the screen a moment longer and nodded. "How do I erase the search record on this thing?"

Dannar grinned and did something to the controls. "Zere. Zat should do it."

"Good." Julia pushed the door control and the door slid open. "It isn't far. Would you like to take a walk with me, Dan?"

He gave her a toothy grin. "Sssertainly. I would much prefer it to waiting for you in a sstolen police vehicle. Bessides, I am very hungry. Do you zink we could sstop on ze way and buy somezing to eat?"

"Of course," Julia said. "I'm hungry, too."

The climbed out of the aircar and walked quietly down the dim alley to the street beyond.

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.