Giant Killer: 5/?
by Nancy Smith and Linda Garrick

Julia Austell slumped back in the seat and relaxed, the stunner still pointed steadily at the Arcturian. He reached forward, skillfully setting the controls and then turned to face her. Cool, yellow eyes surveyed her quizzically, and she saw that his muzzle was thrust forward, denoting that he was displeased with his situation. Julia said nothing, but took off her hat, tossing it away.

The round, yellow eyes flicked to the blaster in her hand. "What iss it you want?" he asked.

Julia didn't answer. She steadied the stunner in both hands, trying to look as dangerous as possible. The Arcturian's eyes met hers again and the crest on his head lifted. The fanged jaws gaped in astonishment. "You are a female!" A moment of silence. "You are Shulia Ausstell!"

Julia nodded slightly. "That's right. And I'm just as desperate and dangerous as the newscasts said. You try anything and I promise I'll stun you and then kill you on the spot."

He continued to stare at her. "Zey ssaid you belong to ze Terran Underground, Miss Ausstell. Iss zat sso?"

"None of your business," she said.

"I ssee." He turned back to the controls. "Did you really kill zose Shilectans ziss evening?"

"Yes," Julia said."

"And did you really assault Duke Halzzor?"

"Yes," Julia said.

The Arcturian's jaws split in a hair-raising grin. "How very dreadful," he commented.

For the first time since she had left Alan at the Embassy gate, Julia found herself smiling weakly. "What's your name?" she asked.

"I am Dannar," he replied impassively. "Did you kill Mr. Schultz, Miss Ausstell?"

"Who?"

"Mr. Schultz. Ze man you assaulted in ze sspaceport. He iss my employer."

"Oh. No, I just hit him with a sleeping vapor. He'll be fine."

"Zat iss good. He iss a kind man. I did not wish him to be hurt."

Julia didn't reply. She suddenly felt very tired. Dannar's eyes flicked sideways to the stunner in her hand. "What about me, Miss Ausstell? What are you going to do wizz me?"

"If you cooperate, you won't be hurt," she told him. "If you cause any trouble, I'll kill you."

"I will cooperate," Dannar told her, promptly. "I do not wish to die."

There was silence for a while, as the ship sped onward. Julia glanced at her chronometer. 0245, Riskell time. No wonder she was tired.

Then, her heart gave a leap and began to pound erratically as she realized that her bracelet was no longer on her wrist. Quickly, she checked the other wrist and then her lap. She stood up, examining the deck and all around the seat. The small, gold chain was nowhere to be seen.

She sat down again, feeling slightly sick. The pilot was watching her covertly. "Have you losst somezing, Miss Ausstell?" he inquired carefully.

"My bracelet," Julia said dismally.

"Your ... bracelet?" She could tell the significance of the statement was lost on him.

"Yes!" She could feel tears very close to the surface. "My bracelet. My gold bracelet that my sister gave me. They traced me with it once this evening and now they'll probably find it and use it to trace me again!"

"But ... wass it sso very important to you zat zey could --"

"Yes!" The tears overflowed. "I loved it! I wore it all the time. And now the Jils have killed my sister and will use the bracelet she gave me to track me down. Then they'll kill me, too!" Julia clenched her fist and beat the arm of the chair in helpless anger. "I hate them! I hate them!"

Dannar started to stand up. "Pleasse, Miss Ausstell --"

Julia brought the stunner up. "No! Stay back!"

He sank into his chair again, his hands raised over his head. "Do not shoot, Miss Ausstell." His voice was surprisingly gentle.

Julia wiped away the tears with the coat sleeve, her hands shaking. Her eyes felt hot and grainy, and somewhere inside her there was a shaking that would not stop. Dannar was no longer looking at her, his yellow eyes fixed on the dark, forward viewscreen.

Minutes drifted by and drowsiness crept over her. Slowly, strangely, her thoughts began to turn to dreams.

Dannar shifted in his chair and instantly, she was wide-awake, stunner leveled in both hands. The pilot flinched, obviously expecting a stunner beam.

Julia relaxed, a little ashamed of herself. "I'm sorry."

"You are tired, he said. "You need to ssleep."

"I'm all right."

The Arcturian stared straight ahead. "Zat sstunner makess me very nervouss, Miss Ausstell," he said, the sibilants in his speech very pronounced. "I do not want you dreaming zat I am shumping at you and shooting me wiz it. A sstunner beam iss very bad for ze control board of a ship. Many zings would be damashed, and I am not certain zat I could repair zem. If you wish, you can tie me up. Zat way, you can relax and ssleep. I will watch ze controls and alert you if ssomezing happens." His fangs flashed. "I know you do not trusst me, Miss Ausstell, but I do not wish to die."

Julia gave him a long, measuring stare. "If you betray me, Dannar, I'll kill you."

"I know zat, naturally," he said.

Julia glanced down at the stunner. What the pilot said, of course, made sense, but she was afraid that, if she attempted to tie him up, he would try to grab her and perhaps wrestle the weapon away. She knew that the natives of Ceregon were a quick, strong species and not to be taken lightly. But she could stun him ...

She made up her mind. "Stand up and move away from the controls."

The Arcturian obeyed instantly, moving slowly and carefully. "A wise choice, Miss Ausstell."

Julia leveled the stunner and then paused. "Will it hurt you?"

The alien shrugged, Terran fashion. "I am told zat you wake up wiz a headache."

She glanced down at the stunner and then at the Arcturian again. His fangs flashed suddenly, and he slowly lowered himself to the deck. "Pleasse, go on, Miss Ausstell. It iss better to get it over wiz."

"Sorry," Julia said, and pressed the firing stud.

There was a soft hum and Dannar collapsed slowly forward. Julia stood up and searched the storage lockers, at last locating a coil of thin, nylon twine. Quickly, she employed it to bind his wrists and ankles tightly together behind his back. She had finished tying the last knot when Dannar stirred and groaned.

Julia backed up, watching him. He groaned again, a low, strangely hissing sound that lifted the hairs on her neck. Then, very slowly, he lifted his head. The pupils of his eyes were widely dilated, like those of a cat in a dark room.

"Are you all right?" Julia asked. She felt awful.

The crest on his head drooped dejectedly. He hissed faintly.

"I'm sorry," Julia said wretchedly. "Is the headache very bad?"

He coughed. "It iss terrible. I fear ze rumor of a headache iss not exasherated." He moaned again and hissed. "I am going to be ssick --"

Julia glanced frantically around, and then dashed back to the tiny passenger compartment. There were towels in the miniature lavatory, and she brought him one, placing it in his lap. He didn't move, his eyes closed, jaws set. There was a painful silence.

Then, at last, he stirred and lifted his head. Dilated yellow eyes focused on her.

"It iss getting better," he said quietly. "Ze ssickness iss passing."

Julia found herself smiling again. "I'm awfully sorry. Is there anything I can do to help?"

He blinked and the fanged jaws split in a weak grin. "Help me back into the pilot's chair," he said, "and go to sleep. I will awaken you if ze need arisess."

Julia laid the stunner on the deck and moved forward to help the Arcturian to his feet. Carefully, she guided him back to the pilot's seat. Taking the remaining cord, she bound the Arcturian's body to the back of the chair. "Remember, Dannar," she said steadily, "If you betray me, I'll kill you. There's a death sentence on my head. If I see I'm going to be caught and you're responsible, I'll kill you and myself. Don't ever doubt it."

"I do not," Dannar said, quietly. "I have a great deal of resspect for your resolution, Miss Ausstell."

Julia closed her eyes and leaned back. The seat cushions were soft as velvet beneath her head.

She awoke with a violent start, panic coursing its way along her nerves. The stunner was in her hands and pointing at the Arcturian before she was fully aware of her surroundings.

But Dannar was still bound to his chair, yellow eyes focused on the instrument panel. Julia lowered the weapon with hands that were slightly unsteady and got to her feet.

The pilot turned his head to look at her. "Did you ssleep well, Miss Ausstell?"

Julia took a long breath. "I guess so. I was dreaming."

"Sso I ssurmised by ze way you were moving around." Dannar shifted uncomfortably in his chair. Julia stretched, discovering a charley horse in her neck and was suddenly aware of hunger.

"Is there any food on the ship?" she asked.

"In ze galley, next to ze living quarterss," the Arcturian replied.

Julia examined his bindings, reassuring herself that they were still secure. "I'll untie you in a minute," she told him. "Hold on."

"Zank you, Miss Ausstell."

Julia went back into the handkerchief-sized galley and found the food in a cabinet. There were cans, a few neatly-wrapped sandwiches and a container of coffee. She selected two sandwiches, picked up the coffee and returned to the control room.

"I have a sandwich for you," she said. "Would you like some coffee?"

"No, zank you," the alien replied. "Caffeine iss poisonous to Arcturians."

"Oh." Julia felt silly. Of course, she knew that. "How about some water?"

"Zat would be nice."

She set her food down in her chair and went back into the galley. After a short search, she located a cup, filled it and returned once more to the control room. She set the cup beside the sandwiches and drew the stunner from her belt. "Don't move, Dannar. I'm going to untie you and I don't want to stun you again."

The Arcturian's teeth flashed in what she was beginning to realize was a grin. "You are mosst kind, Miss Ausstell."

"Don't be sarcastic," she said, pulling at the ropes with one hand.

"I am not being sarcastic," Dannar said soberly. "You are in great trouble, but you are doing your best. I admire you for zat. I also appreciate your kindness to me."

Julia pulled away the last of the rope and stepped back, regarding him in surprise. "Do you mean that?"

"Indeed I do."

She coiled the ropes up, keeping the stunner pointed at Dannar with her free hand. He appeared not to notice, but flexed his arms, rubbed his wrists, and picked up the sandwich, beginning to unwrap it. "Ah, Salmon! It iss my favorite! If only zey would not cook it sso much --" He began to devour the food in large, hungry bites.

Julia picked up her own sandwich and took her seat, unwrapping it one-handed. Dannar finished, licked his green-scaled fingers delicately, and again turned to look at her. "Zat wass delicious. Zank you very much."

Julia nodded, taking a less-than-enthusiastic bite of her sandwich. Memory was returning in full, now -- all the horrors of last night. Her family was dead. Her father, mother and Jill -- poor, harmless Jill. The Jilectans had killed everyone on the Embassy staff. How had they dared? Such an act could start a war.

But, of course, they had found a way to cover their actions. The story of the fire, set by Alan Westover, would be enough to pacify the Terran authorities. Westover was a known criminal, and a convenient out for the Jilectans. No one really wanted a war, and, very likely, the Terran government would accept the Jilectans' explanation rather than trigger an interstellar incident.

Not that many would really believe it. And the deaths would be remembered, as Max had said, by anyone else who got it into his head to sell out on the Jils.

"Did you really kill zose Shilectans?" Dannar's voice brought her out of her reverie.

"Yes!" Julia said, fiercely.

"But ... how?" There was admiration in the pilot's voice. "Zey are sso very fast."

"I saw them before they saw me," Julia said. She compressed her lips. "And I should have killed Halthzor too -- while I had the chance."

"I wass about to ask you about zat," Dannar said. "Why did you let him live? Zat was ze firsst zing everyone assked when zey heard ze report."

Julia shook her head slowly. "I don't know. I -- I guess it was because I'd have had to shoot him in cold blood, and I couldn't bring myself to do it. Danthvor was drawing on me, but I had a blaster on Halthzor before he knew what had happened." She drew a shaking breath. "But if I had it to do over again, I'd kill him. The patrolman I took prisoner told me that it was *him* -- Halthzor, I mean -- who ordered the deaths of my parents and sister."

Dannar was watching her inscrutably. "Your fazzer was Executive Secretary to ze Terran Ambassador."

"Yes," Julia said.

"I ssee." Dannar inclined his head slowly. "Now it iss all coming clear."

"What is?"

"Zere wass a fire at ze Embassy last night," Dannar said. "Ze reportss were zat it wass set by Alan Wesstover. It resulted in ze deazzs of everyone on ze Embassy staff, and zeir families."

"The Embassy fire happened after my family was killed," Julia said, bluntly. "It was set by the Patrol to cover the murders by the Patrol -- at Halthzor's order."

"Yess, I realize zat now. Zat would be sensible of ze Shils. Zey would not want anyone to know for certain what they had done." He grinned horribly. "But your escape makes zings very inconvenient for zem, I would ssay. It iss going to be difficult to explain why ze only survivor of ziss tragic fire suddenly turns on ze Shilectans, kills two of zem and zen escapes. In fact, it makess zings appear very suspicious." He paused, the grin fading. "Whay did zey kill your family, Miss Ausstell?"

Julia frowned. "That's none of your business."

"Wass it because zey were members of ze Underground?"

Julia didn't answer. Dannar surveyed her for a moment. "Why are you going to Terra?"

Julia compressed her lips. "Be quiet, Dannar. The less you know, the better."

"I ssee. And what are you planning to do wiz me when we get zere?"

Julia looked thoughtfully at him. "I was thinking that you might not arrive at all."

Dannar's eyes widened, and she hastened to explain. "I'm sorry; I didn't mean it the way it sounded. I'm not planning to kill you. I just thought that maybe I'd set you adrift in the lifeboat once we reach -- oh, say, Luna's orbit. That would get you out of the line of fire and also out of the witness bracket -- for a little while, anyway. I don't want you to get hurt, but I also don't want you able to tell anyone about me -- at least not right away."

Dannar hissed something softly, and Julia leaned forward. "What did you say?"

"I said I will not tell."

Julia stared at him blankly. "Don't be silly. Of course you'll tell. Why shouldn't you?"

"Because," he said simply, "I like you, Miss Ausstell."

Irrationally, Julia's eyes filled with tears. She blinked them away, angry with both herself and the Arcturian. "Do you think I'm stupid?" she snapped. "Why should you like me? I've taken you by force, endangered your life, stunned you and tied you up."

"I still like you," Dannar said. "You are only doing what you musst to save yoursself. You could have as easily killed me as stunned me. It would have been safer for you." He paused. "Zere wass really no reason for you to keep me alive. I am a liability to you. If you were really a wicked person, you would have killed me as ssoon as I gave ze code signal, but you did not."

Julia stared at him, wanting to believe him. He grinned, once again showing that startling display of fangs. "Sso, Miss Ausstell, when ze Shilectans find me, I will tell zem nozzing."

Julia shook her head. "Even if you aren't lying, they'll make you tell. You can't lie to a Jilectan."

"You zink not?" the grin widened. "Have you never heard ze rumor, Miss Ausstell, zat Shilectans cannot read ze mind of an Arcturian?"

"You mean -- it's true?"

"It iss quite true. Ze Shils deny it, naturally. Zey do not consider it good tactics to advertise zeir weakness to ze --" He paused, and once again his grin flashed. "-- Inferior sspecies. And, of course, Arcturians know zat it iss better to keep very quiet about ziss fact. Ze Shils are not ze mosst tolerant of masterss."

Julia frowned. "Is that why they treat you so badly?"

"Yess. No Arcturian in ze Patrol advances very rapidly, azz you know. Ze Shils do not trust us -- and why should zey?"

She nodded slowly. "I guess I never thought about it before."

She finished her sandwich, wadded up the wrapper and tossed it at the disposal chute. It missed, bouncing off the bulkhead. "Dannar?"

"Yess?"

"I've heard an Arcturian is always loyal to his friends. Is it true?"

"It iss true."

"Then won't you be betraying Mr. Schultz if you refuse to tell the Jils anything about me? After all, I stole his ship and attacked him."

"It will not help Mr. Schultzz for me to tell the Shils about you," Dannar said. "Zey certainly do not care whezzer his ship iss returned or not. Besides, Mr. Schultzz iss not my friend. He iss my employer."

"You said he's a kind man."

"Zere are many kind beingss in ziss sector. But zey are not all my friendss."

"Oh." Julia didn't fully understand the Arcturian concept of friendship. Few Terrans did. She knew only that "friendship" from an Arcturian's viewpoint was a unique relationship, and not taken lightly. An Arcturian would risk his life without hesitation for his "friend", and even die for him, should the situation warrant it.

There was a sudden, shrill beeping noise. Julia jumped, glancing at the control panel. Dannar leaned forward, pressing a control on the board. "Ssublight in fifteen minutes." He looked back at Julia. "Miss Ausstell, I have been zinking."

"Yes?"

"Would it not be better for uss to come out of hypersspace at a little distance from Terra? It iss probable zat ze Shilectans have computed our course and know zat we are on our way."

He was right, of course. Julia hadn't thought of that. She nodded. "Can you do it?"

"Certainly." Dannar did something to the controls. "Brace yourself, Miss Ausstell, and put on your ssafety webbing. We will be coming out of hyperspace in seven minutes."

Julia obeyed, staring at the dark screen. "Are there any Patrol bases in the Solar System?"

"On Phoboss."

"Phobos?" Julia wasn't as well acquainted with her species' home world as she would like to have been. "What's that?"

"It iss one of ze moons of Marss -- ze fourzz planet. I will keep uss far from zere."

Julia nodded again, wondering how far she could trust him. He might be lying, she told herself firmly -- trying to get her off her guard. Arcturians were an enigmatic bunch, her father had always said. He had liked them, but had often remarked that he was never sure where he stood with them. Julia was beginning to understand his sentiments.

Dannar's profile told her nothing, except that he was watching the controls intently. One needlelike canine fang overlapped his lower lip, and gleamed wetly in the cabin's lighting, and his crest was half-raised. What was he thinking of his situation, she wondered. What was he thinking about her?

The seconds dragged by and became minutes. Julia waited, trying to will herself to remain calm. The stunner felt slippery against her sweating palms.

"One minute," Dannar said. He pressed two buttons. "Ah, perfect! Iss your webbing fastened, Miss Ausstell? Ziss iss likely to be a little rough."

"It's fastened," Julia said.

More seconds went by and there was a sudden, teeth-rattling jolt. The stars reappeared on the viewscreen.

Julia took a deep breath. "Where are we?"

"Shust outside ze orbit of Shupiter." Dannar examined the screens before him. "Scannerss are clear, and zere iss no way ze base on Phoboss can pick uss up. We are much too far away."

"Good." Julia studied the viewscreen. Directly ahead shone the yellow-white disk that was Terra's sun. Dannar turned them, and the disk floated from the screen to be replaced by the diamond points of thousands of stars.

"We will reach Terra's gravity well in zirty-eight minutess," Dannar said. "I will try not to attract attention."

"All right," Julia said. "Tell me when reach Luna's orbit."

He glanced at her. "Are you sstill planning to put me in a lifeboat, Miss Ausstell?"

She looked at him in surprise. "Yes, of course."

"Please do not." His eyes met hers, strangely pleading. "Take me to ze Underground wiz you."

Julia shook her head. "I'm not going to the Underground. I don't belong to the Underground."

Surprise flickered across his features. "Zen why are you going to Terra?"

"I --" Julia set her jaw. "None of your business. Just do as I tell you."

His eyes met hers steadily. "I do not believe you would kill me, Miss Ausstell."

"Then you believe wrong. You do as you're told, or I promise you here and now, I'll stun you and throw you out the airlock."

"Very well." He turned back to the controls. "Zere iss Terra." He indicated a light on the screen.

Julia nodded. Their destination glowed like a diamond before her, and she had to swallow the lump that rose in her throat. Earth: the lovely planet where her species had been born, but that she had never seen. Julia's father had loved Earth: "The most beautiful planet in the Sector ..."

"You have never been to Terra?"

Julia looked at Dannar again and saw that he was watching her. She shook her head.

"It iss a lovely place. I have been zere many times. What continent should I sset for?"

Julia glanced sharply at him. "You don't have to worry about that. You're going in the lifeboat; remember?"

He didn't reply. Minutes passed and the diamond that was Terra became a tiny sphere in the distance. Slowly, it grew larger, and beside it, pale against the blackness, Julia could see Luna: Earth's large, natural satellite.

She glanced at her chronometer. "How much longer?"

"About fifteen minutes at our present sspeed." Dannar paused, and then leaned quickly forward, scanning the rear viewscreen. She heard the sharp hiss as he drew in his breath.

"What's wrong?"

"Zere iss a ship."

"Where?"

"It shust appeared on ze sscanner. It musst have come out of hyperspace." He hissed softly, his sinuous fingers moving rapidly across the controls. "It iss a small scout and he iss also on a course for Terra." Dannar's crest raised slightly. "A mosst unusual approach."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean zat he seems to be following uss."

Julia's heart was pounding in spite of her. "How could he have known where we'd be coming out of hyperspace, though?"

Dannar shook his head slowly. "I do not know. Perhapss he did not. Perhapss it iss mere coincidence. Sstill, I find it razzer disquieting zat he iss on ze ssame unorthodox approach as our own."

Julia swallowed hard. "How fast is he going? Will he be able to catch us before we reach Terra?"

Dannar pressed something on the board. "I do not zink so. He iss moving fast, but we have a good lead on him."

Julia fingered the stunner, trying to decide what to do. The Arcturian was an experienced pilot and she wanted him to manage the controls as long as possible. On the other hand, she didn't really trust him. If he tried to disarm her or disable her somehow, it wouldn't matter whether she killed him or not, for she would still be caught.

He was watching her, his features impassive. "What are you going to do, Miss Ausstell?"

"Nothing yet. Stay on course."

"Very well. Dannar was silent, watching the screen. The communicator beeped.

Julia swallowed, staring at it. Dannar glanced at her again. The communicator beeped again.

"It iss ze ozzer ship," the pilot said. "Should I answer?"

Julia bit her lip. "No. Wait."

An alarm went off on the control panel. Dannar reached over quickly and touched something. He gave a shrill hiss. "It iss anozzer ship! A Patrol cruiser!"

"Patrol! Are you sure?"

"Yess." Dannar hissed again. "Undoubtedly zey have been watching for you, Miss Ausstell."

"How near is he?"

"He iss nearer zan ze ozzer ship. He came in from an angle. My guess iss zat he was here wiz ozzerss, waiting."

"Can we outrun him?"

"Zat I do not know. Ziss iss a good ship, but it wass not built for sspeed."

"Okay." Julia stood up, gesturing with the stunner. "Into the lifeboat."

He didn't move. "You are not a pilot, Miss Ausstell. It will not be easy to outrun ziss cruiser."

"Don't argue! He may stop to pick you up, anyway, and give me a chance to get away. Don't worry. They want me alive. They won't blast the lifeboat on the chance that I might be in it. You'll be perfectly safe."

"Zey will not bozzer wiz ze lifeboat. Zey will know it iss not you. Pleasse, Miss Ausstell, I can help you. I know ziss ship, and can get you to Terra safely."

"I have no reason to trust you, Dannar. Now move, or I fire."

He stood up. "I believe you are being very foolish."

With a quickness with which she would not have credited him, he leaped for her, but Julia was quicker still. She triggered the stunner. There was a soft hum, and Dannar sprawled to the deck at her feet.

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.